Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
It looks like this can be used to get back to and from Arabba to Pozza much more quickly than going via Canazei and the short bus ride

From Arabba it must be quicker, yes, but less skiing...! If you're coming form Selva (as I will be in a couple of weeks!) it seems to me that it's still quicker to ski down to Canazei and get the bus up to Alba - according to the timetable there are buses every few mins (line 1,2,3 or 5) and the journey is 6-7 minutes, whereas if you want to get up to the new Cable Car to download to Alba, you've got to go up 2 busy (SR Green) lifts from the mid point between Col Rodella and Belvedere to get to it... or am I missing something? Someone said the bus stop is a long walk from the end of the piste in Canazei but it looks like it's right next to the lift... Anyway, never been over there so looking forward to it - will report back if bus is a nightmare or not! (fairly sure it's all going to be very busy in 1/2 term week anyway)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The bottom of the piste at Canazei is often icy and a long walk from the bus stop. You could get the gondola down to the main road where the bus stop is.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When was the last time it properly snowed in the Dolomites..?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Penry wrote:
luigi wrote:
I'll be staying near Cortina in mid-Feb, only done a quick daytrip to Cortina from Arabba previously, so looking forward to exploring it all properly.

I definitely want to get up to the small area at Lake Misurina and maybe around to the recently expanded Three Peaks/Tre Cime/Drei Zinnen area around San Candido/Innichen & Sesto/Sexten if I get a chance.

Hi Luigi, do you know if there's a link between Padola and Monte Croce? Or if it is intended? There is a dotted line suggesting it is planned but I can't find any mention of it online but my Italian googling skills aren't up to much

There is a description of the 3 Peaks Tour in English here: https://www.dreizinnen.com/en/the-experience/in-winter/giro-delle-cime.html

Here is the link to the PDF of the piste map: https://www.dreizinnen.com/media/de40dd19-dc52-428d-bf39-26ed01f06ecd/pan-3zinnen-winter-dss-web.pdf

It would seem that the linking lifts (chair & gondola) at Bagni di Valgrande are still on the Padola Town Council's wishlist, so from Bagni di Valgrande you need to catch the free 'Salto' ski-bus down into Padola where you can do the various runs off the Col d'la Tenda chair. Then you would need to catch the bus again to get back over the Monte Croce/Kreuzberg pass.

Here is the bus timetable with a schematic view of the Tour: https://www.dreizinnen.com/media/762a0a6c-ea15-4c75-80c1-ba608560acf0/fahrplan-salto.pdf

It seems that the buses run every 10 mins between 11am & 1pm which is likely the busiest part of the day.

Stunning photos of the full tour from Versciaco/Vierschach over to Padola and more explanations on this Italian trip report: http://www.skiforum.it/forum/showthread.php?t=80135

So, it would seem that you can alight at the Monte Croce/Kreuzberg pass on the way back and follow the flat blue down or stay on the bus until you reach the lifts at Signaue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FrequentFaller wrote:

Bergfex says 9 days ago on the 21st Jan in Val Gardena:

https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/schneebericht/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FrequentFaller wrote:

Madonna had some on Friday (26th):

https://www.bergfex.com/madonna-di-campiglio/schneebericht/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Ask again on Friday...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow is still on for Thurs/Fri, 30cm according to the Bergfex ECM-based forecast: https://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/berg/

GFS is still agreeing in principle on the 00Z, though the main run is showing amounts lower than the average of the ensembles: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87

ARPAV are only mentioning light snowfall for Thursday, only occasionally more widespread, but right down to valley bottoms, then clearing up Friday, though with a full wintry feel to the weather.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A lot colder from Friday onwards in the Northerly flow which looks like lasting most of next week with the possibility of more snow at the start of the week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bergfex maps show the Julians getting heavily plastered on Thursday, along with substantial snowfall in Carinthia & E Tyrol and Friuli, the Dolomites seem to be missing most of this storm action.

https://www.bergfex.com/schneevorhersage/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi wrote:

Stunning photos of the full tour from Versciaco/Vierschach over to Padola and more explanations on this Italian trip report: http://www.skiforum.it/forum/showthread.php?t=80135

Many thanks Luigi, I can't remember why my gaze alighted on this area but I was stunned to search and find that apart from this year, the area has virtually no mentions on Snowheads. I suppose I'm idly looking for the perfect resort: jaw-droppingly beautiful, extensive, cheap, queue free, great hospitality etc. The stunning photographs and piste map appeared to tick a number of those boxes.

Please let us know what you find if you get the chance to go.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How are the snow depths and coverage in the Dolomites at the moment compared to normal at this time of year? I'm considering a trip there end of Feb - however with the historically deep snow in the Northern Alps this season, the coverage is excellent there and I don't want to miss out...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musehead wrote:
How are the snow depths and coverage in the Dolomites at the moment compared to normal at this time of year? I'm considering a trip there end of Feb - however with the historically deep snow in the Northern Alps this season, the coverage is excellent there and I don't want to miss out...

The Dolomites haven't had the huge snowfalls of the Northern Alps, but in historic terms this has been an excellent season so far and there have been regular top-ups since November, so everywhere has a good covering. It's way better than the last 3 seasons at this stage.

As regards what the immediate advantage of skiing on 6-10 feet of base as compared to 1-3ft is, I don't think it matters much as long as the pistes are complete. Remember that most of the pistes in the Dolomites are on grassy meadows, so even with as little as 15cm of base they are usually skiable. Other places need more to cover the rocks. Also the avalanche risk in many resorts from 'too much' snow this season has impeded enjoyment for many.

End of Feb is still main season, so I don't think the snow will be disappearing, but no-one can foretell what conditions will be like with any degree of accuracy more than a few days in advance. Much will depend what happens the week before you arrive and while you're there, which is still in the lap of the snow gods.

But all in all, this season would be a great time to visit the Dolomites.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Woohoo! ARPAV are calling for an average of 30-40cm of new snow between now & Friday pm. snowHead

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Penry wrote:
luigi wrote:

Many thanks Luigi, I can't remember why my gaze alighted on this area but I was stunned to search and find that apart from this year, the area has virtually no mentions on Snowheads. I suppose I'm idly looking for the perfect resort: jaw-droppingly beautiful, extensive, cheap, queue free, great hospitality etc. The stunning photographs and piste map appeared to tick a number of those boxes.

Please let us know what you find if you get the chance to go.

I think it does fit most of those criteria. I reckon you could have a good trip there, perhaps combined with a day in Kronplatz, Cortina or some of the smaller areas nearby.

I'll let you know if I make it over there this time.
snow conditions
@luigi, I remembered why I found it, you can get there by train. It's got a lot of ski in/out too.
snow conditions
Penry wrote:
@luigi, I remembered why I found it, you can get there by train. It's got a lot of ski in/out too.

Yes, the Pustertal train links the base stations at Vierschach for the 3Peaks and Percha for Kronplatz as well as the local towns Bruneck, Toblach & Innichen:

http://www.skipustertal.com/en/

No need to hire a car at all, as the railway links up with the main line at Franzensfeste for Innsbruck.
ski holidays
Thanks @luigi, I've been keen to ski in the Dolomites since I visited the area in the summer a couple of years ago. I've bitten the bullet and booked it for a week from 24th Feb. Normally I obsess over powder potential and off piste conditions but this is a trip with my girlfriend and i'll be (mostly) cruising the pistes with her. I'll be following this thread with interest!

Incidentally, I found looking at the Satellite view on Google Maps of the Sella Ronda area very interesting. Not sure when the images were taken but it looks like early season, you can clearly see the pistes all made up but with zero natural snow in the surrounding areas. Quite impressive!

snow conditions
musehead wrote:
Thanks @luigi, I've been keen to ski in the Dolomites since I visited the area in the summer a couple of years ago. I've bitten the bullet and booked it for a week from 24th Feb. Normally I obsess over powder potential and off piste conditions but this is a trip with my girlfriend and i'll be (mostly) cruising the pistes with her. I'll be following this thread with interest!

Best off-piste potential often occurs in March & April when Spring storms sock in and the high-altitude couloirs get filled, but you might get lucky this year.

Mike Pow had a great time in March 2016 after a big dump: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124440

Though it sounds like maybe sunshine & perfect corduroy will be best in the circumstances. wink
ski holidays
musehead wrote:

Incidentally, I found looking at the Satellite view on Google Maps of the Sella Ronda area very interesting. Not sure when the images were taken but it looks like early season, you can clearly see the pistes all made up but with zero natural snow in the surrounding areas. Quite impressive!

That is what it looked like last season until well into January, brown meadows with white strips, though the snowmaking is so good the area was about 90% open from early Dec.

Check out this trip report from late Jan last year: http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56947

Contrast & compare with this ongoing current one: http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=59031
snow report
musehead wrote:
I've bitten the bullet and booked it for a week from 24th Feb.

Snap - we'll be in Colfosco for the week. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Am I right in thinking that the Dolomites have become rather popular with snowHeads over the last few years?
latest report
agw wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the Dolomites have become rather popular with snowHeads over the last few years?

I learned to ski in Selva in 1999 and have revisited many times since. When I first joined snowHeads it seemed very Franco-centric and there were just a few of us who talked of the merits of this part of Italy but since Admin started doing the Birthday Bashes in the area in 2009 the popularity on here has grown a lot.
latest report
SteveM wrote:
musehead wrote:

Same here but in Arabba
snow report
I do hope Val Gardena gets at least one good dump in the next two weeks. Heading to Selva Feb. 17. Something about bare hillsides always depresses me. I know every resort/station makes snow but I try to pretend that it's all natural. Something about the making of sausages and laws...
snow conditions
Pasigal wrote:
I do hope Val Gardena gets at least one good dump in the next two weeks. Heading to Selva Feb. 17. Something about bare hillsides always depresses me. I know every resort/station makes snow but I try to pretend that it's all natural. Something about the making of sausages and laws...

Trust me, you'll be fine. It will be perfect.
ski holidays
Is it raining or snowing at the mo.? Thinking of heading out Sunday.
ski holidays
Pasigal wrote:

Heavy snow forecast tonight . 30 cm maybe ??

Then quite nippy for the short term with possible light snow next week...

This is the plan de gralba webcam on wepowder - you can view a time lapse and its its fun to watch the snow come and go on the tables!

https://wepowder.com/en/webcam/1190359830

(well I think its fun)

We arrive in Selva this Sat 3rd ...fingers crossed for a good week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jellylegs, no doubt! But there's always a bit of anxiety. We've never gotten totally skunked for snow.
latest report
Definitely looks like snow on the cams today! snowHead
snow conditions
pokemon wrote:
SteveM wrote:
musehead wrote:

Same here but in Arabba

Same here but in Canazei Very Happy
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
pokemon wrote:
SteveM wrote:
musehead wrote:

Same here but in Arabba

Just need someone in Selva to complete the 4 corners of the Sella Ronda!! Laughing
snow conditions
Me, I'm out there on the 24th staying in Selva
ski holidays
Roguevfr wrote:
pokemon wrote:
SteveM wrote:
musehead wrote:

Same here but in Arabba

Same here but in Vigo di Fassa snowHead
latest report
Looks like we have the complete set!
Happy to hook up with any sHs in the area that week if anyone is interested. I've my OH and a few friends with me but for the most part they will stay local to Colfosco where I like to roam the Sella Ronda far and wide, having done it a few times snowHead
snow conditions
Wow another 20cms plus at village level by Sunday.

If you get some sun next week it will awesome. What a season!

Wish I was going out there again.......snowHead
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
musehead wrote:

That is what it looked like last season until well into January, brown meadows with white strips, though the snowmaking is so good the area was about 90% open from early Dec.

Check out this trip report from late Jan last year: http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56947

Contrast & compare with this ongoing current one: http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=59031

Wow what a world of difference! Here's to more of it next year
latest report
It's been snowing here for 24 hours. Wish it would F off. Last day today.
latest report
scotspikey wrote:
It's been snowing here for 24 hours. Wish it would F off. Last day today.

Certainly looks like a good few cm/s from the webcam. Enjoy!
snow report
sheffskibod wrote:
Pasigal wrote:

Heavy snow forecast tonight . 30 cm maybe ??

Then quite nippy for the short term with possible light snow next week...

This is the plan de gralba webcam on wepowder - you can view a time lapse and its its fun to watch the snow come and go on the tables!

https://wepowder.com/en/webcam/1190359830

(well I think its fun)

We arrive in Selva this Sat 3rd ...fingers crossed for a good week.

It looks like around 20cm+ on those famous Plan de Gralba tables this morning!! snowHead

https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c561/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy