Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks again so much to all for this great info snowHead

@JoyZipper, nice skiing from the young'un Very Happy Mine is 13 now! This takes me back Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Roguevfr wrote:
Becoming more confused by the apparent complexities of all this. I'm sure it will become clearer at the time....

A set of piste maps for the various ski areas or even better the Tabacco Sella Ronda/Valli Ladine map and following the extensive signposting and/or other skiers and it is all pretty straightforward.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valli-Ladine-Sellaronda-ski-maps/dp/8883150953?tag=amz07b-21

Here are the links to the bus timetables for the 2 buses needed on the WWI tour:

https://www.dolomiti.org/en/selva-di-cadore/Snow-ski-and-Sports/ski-bus/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ARPAV have now also dialled back any snow action for Fri/Sat for the Venetian Dolomites, it seems that parts of NW Italy will be seeing some significant falls though. In the Dolomites just cloudy and a bit chilly Friday, but then clearer and a lot milder over the weekend in the sunshine.

But maybe that's what the snowHeads on the BBWUW in Alleghe would want!! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah wrote:
Thanks again so much to all for this great info snowHead

@JoyZipper, nice skiing from the young'un Very Happy Mine is 13 now! This takes me back Laughing

Thank you. Blush
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi wrote:
The Marmolada would be worth it on a clear day, make sure you climb up to the viewing area at the top of the station for 360 views. From Alba it would be a similar or slightly longer distance covered to the Sella Ronda. Don't bother if there's cloud, it's awful with no vis. Don't ski back down the flats to the base station, catch the Padon chair back to Arabba. You would know if you had time on the way back to take a look Sass Pordoi too.

I'll second this - I skied over from Alba and was racing against the weather closing in. Unfortunately didn't quite make it by the time that I reached the Marmolada cable car. It was utter carnage on the glacier - no fun at all. The trouble is that the cable car is the only way up so 80-100 people are getting off at the same time, there's only one piste down and off piste isn't a good choice on a glacier. It was very flat light, a bit bumpy and bodies were strewn everywhere ! There were quite a few 1 or 2 week skiers who shouldn't really have been there. There were a couple waiting to be coffin'd off the mountain. On a clear day I'm sure it would be a lot better ! The long red/blue run down from Rifugio Padon is very nice indeed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah wrote:
Can anyone give me any useful links to info about the various routes and accessing them and timings etc please. Will be staying near Canazei and probably accessing from Alba.

Interested in the Sella Ronda circuit and the differences between the green and orange routes. Also possibly the WW1 route as a friend sent me photos and talked about the horse tow which sounds like a novelty. And what is the Hidden Valley one?

Also the advice on starting early and keeping moving. Is this a case of be on the first lift and don't stop for lunch?

And finally how competent would one need to be? I will be with a 3 week skier though being extremely fit and otherwise very sporty I strongly suspect this person is going to be one of those frustrating individuals who is a complete natural rolling eyes Laughing

Thanks for any tips and info for a newbie to this area snowHead

Sella Ronda in either direction is easily done in a day with a decent lunch stop. WW1 looks harder than it is, I parked up at Alleghe at 8:30 skied it anti-clockwise and finished up back at my car about 15:00 including a stop on the Campolongo for a sit down meal. The horse drawn run is a novelty, the museum on Marmolada is fantastic. Best done in good weather so you can make the most of the spectacular views.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Couple tips re WW1 tour.

1) The buses between Fedare (Cinque Torri area ) and Pescul (Civetta area) are every half hour. However there is a break in the middle of the day, and if you time it wrong you could be waiting a full hour. (See Luigi's link above)

2) Also, if you are doing the WW1 tour clockwise (ie not doing Hidden Valley) and if you don't fancy or don't have time for the Marmolada glacier, then when you take the bus from Alleghe to Malga Ciapela, you should NOT get off at the main cable car lift up to the glacier but stay on the bus till the next stop and take the Val D'Arei drag lifts up to the Padon Chairlift back toward Arabba
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thought the Val d'Arei draglifts were shut due to bureaucracy, so presumably that bus stops/terminates at the Padon chairlift?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Correct, those drag lifts are not running this season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its notable from reading the reports from France in particular, how variable and often poor the condition of the snow is there. Hopefully it will quickly improve.

What are piste conditions like this week? They were absolutely superb last week. Has the slightly warmer weather made much difference ?
It seems that avoiding the rain that the north west alps received, has maintained good on and off piste conditions in the Dolomites ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apologies. My comments about Arei draglifts were based on last year's experience. Let's hope they get their act together for next year -- must really mess up their beginners' lessons without those draglifts. So my previous advice should be amended to "Stay on the bus till it gets to Padon lift"?

Another thought, it is possible, if piste red 69 is open, to get off the Marmolada cable car at the second crossover (Serauta) and descend from there. Not much of a saving though.

Finally, if you are taking the WW1 tour anticlockwise then, last year, the red run Croda Negra, from Cinque Torri to Lagazuoi was often shut. In which case you need to take another bus from the bottom of Cinque Torri (near rifugio Bai de Dones) to Lagazuoi. Last year the snow was pretty thin up there but I guess it's different this year. But perhaps worthwhile checking beforehand.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sethpistol wrote:
WW1 looks harder than it is, I parked up at Alleghe at 8:30 skied it anti-clockwise and finished up back at my car about 15:00 including a stop on the Campolongo for a sit down meal.

Yes, the WWI is perfectly doable in a day with a lunch stop & a bombardino before the last run down, but from your timings you can see that there wouldn't be a lot of leeway to accommodate a late start and/or just missing both buses and/or taking a wrong turn or two. And for @Sarah, she would also be adding on the leg to Alba at the start & end of the day, hence the caution for her.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just had the best weeks skiing in the Dolomites. We stayed in Canazei and the snow conditions couldn't have been better. Its up there with the best skiing I have ever experienced. I highly recommend going up to The Maramolda and skiing the 12km run off the top. Just make sure you have enough time to get there and back! We just made it. The views when up there are out of this world. Its breathtaking. I think we'll be going back very soon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Making the effort to go to The Hidden Valley is also well worth it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Back to the weather, I notice in the Bergfex & GFS forecasts, after a mild, settled & mostly sunny spell this coming week, they're indicating snow for the first 2 days of Feb. Will this one fizzle or come good? Puzzled

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 27-01-18 22:32; edited 3 times in total
snow report
bamberd wrote:
Just had the best weeks skiing in the Dolomites. We stayed in Canazei and the snow conditions couldn't have been better. Its up there with the best skiing I have ever experienced.

Seconded. Just completed a three day break in St Ulrich and everywhere we skied (Grödnertal/Seiseralm/ Alta Badia/ Val di Fassa) the conditions were excellent. I’ve been coming to this region regularly for ten years and the conditions are the best I can remember.
snow conditions
I notice the bad weather for the start of Feb is coming from the North, not a great direction for snowfall in the Dolomites, but the storm looks to be so moisture-laden it releases onto the southern side too. So, hopefully a Goldilocks amount of fresh will result, plus cooler temps will help preserve what's already there. GFS precipitation animations here:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
I notice the bad weather for the start of Feb is coming from the North, not a great direction for snowfall in the Dolomites, but the storm looks to be so moisture-laden it releases onto the southern side too. So, hopefully a Goldilocks amount of fresh will result, plus cooler temps will help preserve what's already there. GFS precipitation animations here:

There could form a small genua depression, and that would be good for the dolomites
ski holidays
bart_bdv wrote:
luigi wrote:

There could form a small genua depression, and that would be good for the dolomites

It's when we see an Adriatic Low that the Dolomites can really get plastered. Last Friday's Genoa Low only caught NW Italy before dropping South, but hopefully this system will be more fruitful in the NE. It looks like it may ride down the Adriatic as Slovenia & the W Balkans get hit heavy on both the 00Z & 06Z animations.
snow report
luigi wrote:
Roguevfr wrote:
Becoming more confused by the apparent complexities of all this. I'm sure it will become clearer at the time....

A set of piste maps for the various ski areas or even better the Tabacco Sella Ronda/Valli Ladine map and following the extensive signposting and/or other skiers and it is all pretty straightforward.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valli-Ladine-Sellaronda-ski-maps/dp/8883150953?tag=amz07b-21

Here are the links to the bus timetables for the 2 buses needed on the WWI tour:

https://www.dolomiti.org/en/selva-di-cadore/Snow-ski-and-Sports/ski-bus/

I have been begging different piste maps from others who have been there with some success , (Thanks to those who've assisted) Still need a #5 Val di fassa if anyone has a spare kicking around.

It's not the piste maps as such, it's the knowledge of how to link up and the time it takes to get from one place to another.
Still, enjoying reading all the details from obviously very experienced return visitors..
snow conditions
Pick up piste maps in Selva, Arraba, Alta Badia and Val di Fassa. They have more detailed maps of those respective areas that are much better than the main Sella Ronda map which is ok but could do with an update.
Bumped in to a neighbour earlier. Hes the kind of guy that no matter what you do, he has done it further, longer, higher, faster etc. I was telling him about the SR, he replied he'd been in the Arlberg, which purely because he was there and I wasnt means HIS destination is bigger and better than mine. But it got me thinking - if you took the SR (both ways), Marmolada, Alta Badia, Val di Fassa, Lagazoui & Cinque Torri, Seceda, Seiser Alm and Santa Croce...how many km are you looking at? I'd guestimate 3- 400km.
Dont suppose anyone has an idea? Whatever it is im sure its bigger than the Arlberg!!
snow report
shiva_71 wrote:
Pick up piste maps in Selva, Arraba, Alta Badia and Val di Fassa. They have more detailed maps of those respective areas that are much better than the main Sella Ronda map which is ok but could do with an update.
Bumped in to a neighbour earlier. Hes the kind of guy that no matter what you do, he has done it further, longer, higher, faster etc. I was telling him about the SR, he replied he'd been in the Arlberg, which purely because he was there and I wasnt means HIS destination is bigger and better than mine. But it got me thinking - if you took the SR (both ways), Marmolada, Alta Badia, Val di Fassa, Lagazoui & Cinque Torri, Seceda, Seiser Alm and Santa Croce...how many km are you looking at? I'd guestimate 3- 400km.
Dont suppose anyone has an idea? Whatever it is im sure its bigger than the Arlberg!!

The Arlberg sure is a big ski area, but the sella ronda sure is a lot bigger Happy
ski holidays
andy wrote:
thought the Val d'Arei draglifts were shut due to bureaucracy, so presumably that bus stops/terminates at the Padon chairlift?

Yes, I'm in Alleghe on the PreBBWUW, and this afternoon I took the skibus to Malga Ciapela, principally to check out whether the Sottoguda Gorge was open to skiers (it was, my trip report is in the PreBBWUW thread) but I stayed on the bus past the Marmolada cable car stop and the bus went on past the non operating drag lifts to the chairlift.Smile
snow report
shiva_71 wrote:

Dolomiti Superski claims a massive 1,200kms!
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/dolomiti-superski
snow conditions
pjd wrote:

A claim which should be taken with a pinch of salt, yes it's a huge amount of skiing on one lift pass but the buses you need to reach the outlying areas are not included on the lift pass.
ski holidays
moosepig wrote:
pjd wrote:

A claim which should be taken with a pinch of salt, yes it's a huge amount of skiing on one lift pass but the buses you need to reach the outlying areas are not included on the lift pass.

In the Grödnertal/Gardena area you are given a free bus pass by the hotel you stay in for the length of your time there. I’ve never been sure though whether the pass is valid for buses in other areas (eg. Val di Fassa).
snow conditions
The next biggest areas are the three valleys and the portes du soliel at around 600kms, but those areas are rarely all open.
snow report
bart_bdv wrote:
shiva_71 wrote:

The Arlberg sure is a big ski area, but the sella ronda sure is a lot bigger Happy

The areas around the Sella Ronda have often claimed 500km of pistes, like this Alta Badia webpage:

https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/italian-alps/maps-of-the-slopes-and-walks-in-and-around-alta-badia.html

I did a quick calculation of the various lift-linked areas around the Sella Ronda:
Val Gardena 175km
Arabba/Marmolada 63km
Alta Badia 130km
Belvedere/Col Rodella 31km
Alba/Ciampac/Buffaure 24km

Total 423km

Not sure if the Alta Badia total includes the Hidden Valley, but it won't include the Cinque Torri which is definitely part of Cortina ski area, but these are not fully lift-linked (without the need for a bus) to the Sella Ronda.

The Arlberg now claims 305km of piste with the addition of the Warth/Schrocken ski area and the Flexenbahn which joined St Anton to Zurs & Lech, but it also claims 200km of Variations (unpisted itineraries).

https://www.skiarlberg.at/en/press-and-technical-data

The Sella Ronda also has some off piste itineraries such as those accessed off the Sass Pordoi cablecar like the Val di Mesdi, and variations on the Marmolada etc.

I don't think there is a definitive answer as to which is biggest, but there is no doubt they are both world-class areas.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 28-01-18 22:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pjd wrote:
moosepig wrote:
pjd wrote:

In the Grödnertal/Gardena area you are given a free bus pass by the hotel you stay in for the length of your time there. I’ve never been sure though whether the pass is valid for buses in other areas (eg. Val di Fassa).

The Val di Fassa skibus service is extensive and links all the lift stations along the valley. It is separate to the Val Gardena service as they are in different provinces of Italy. It used to be free to lift-pass holders, but I notice there is now a nominal fee to use it, but it is reduced for those staying in 'associated accommodation structures'.

https://www.fassa.com/EN/Skibus-service/
snow report
Back to weather again...wePowder's latest forecast interprets the evolution of the NW storm cycle for the end of the week. It seems that the snow focus of the depression that forms on the southern side of the Alps will be into 'the border region of Italy, Austria & Slovenia', so Friuli, S Carinthia & the Julian Alps look to benefit most, perhaps a little bit too far NE for a dump on the Dolomites, but maybe enough for a nice freshen up! snowHead

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/254188
snow report
moosepig wrote:
Correct, those drag lifts are not running this season.

Re. the Val d'Arei draglifts at Malga Ciapela: according to the Dolomiti Superski website, these will be open from Feb 3rd, so any snowHeads on the BB who don't fancy the ski down from the Marmolada may well have a way out of the valley that doesn't involve a bus. Still best to check on the day!
snow report
We go to the Arlberg and the Dolomites regularly. The Dolomites has far better piste skiing. There is more variety and the runs are a lot longer.
ski holidays
moosepig wrote:
pjd wrote:

If you were going to visit the outlying areas then surely you would do it with a car rather than use busses. And considering how many different areas (12) are covered under one pass, I suspect the 1200km claim is probably not far off the mark.
snow report
Currently in Madonna Di Campiglio, arrived Saturday, our first visit to this area. It’s been wall to wall sunshine so far and great skiing on well prepared pistes. There is plenty of snow cover and so far I’ve found no bare or icy patches. It’s been warm by the afternoon +5 but the snow seems to be holding up well.
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
I'll be staying near Cortina in mid-Feb, only done a quick daytrip to Cortina from Arabba previously, so looking forward to exploring it all properly.

I definitely want to get up to the small area at Lake Misurina and maybe around to the recently expanded Three Peaks/Tre Cime/Drei Zinnen area around San Candido/Innichen & Sesto/Sexten if I get a chance.

Hi Luigi, do you know if there's a link between Padola and Monte Croce? Or if it is intended? There is a dotted line suggesting it is planned but I can't find any mention of it online but my Italian googling skills aren't up to much
ski holidays
Sorry if this has been mentioned but does anyone know if lift (No. 130 on the map) from Penia/Alba to Passo Fedaia (Belvedere area) is operational this season?

It looks like this can be used to get back to and from Arabba to Pozza much more quickly than going via Canazei and the short bus ride, although I may be reading the map incorrectly

The reason I ask is that it the dolomitisuperski ski planner doesn’t seem to include it, when you do a route

Any recent experience appreciated

Cheers
latest report
Yes, I also noticed that the 3D reality map DolomitiSuperSki route finder does not make use of the Alba-Col Dei Rossi cabin lift in its suggested routes. But that is a fault with the planner, not with the lift.
latest report
Thanks. I assume on the way to Alba it’s a download on the lift, as I can’t see a piste?
latest report
pokemon wrote:
Thanks. I assume on the way to Alba it’s a download on the lift, as I can’t see a piste?

Yes I think this is the lift that came into operation a couple of years ago. No piste down as you say but some nice runs over in the Alba/Pozza area.
snow conditions
pokemon wrote:

Yes I think this is the lift that came into operation a couple of years ago. No piste down as you say but some nice runs over in the Alba/Pozza area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy