Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Glorious day at Lagazoi/Cinqe Torre, did the Super 8 which was easy to navigate. It is absolutely gorgeous around there, can't recommend it highly enough. Horse tow at the end is ace.
Man, that was my 17th day here and there's still stuff I haven't done. The sheer size of the place and the options still blow me away...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously not better than Yad moss! Laughing

The Dolomites are fine for a holiday but the REAL skiing is at home Laughing Laughing

Keep checking the Pennine and lakes webcams. Looking good but alas no Bombardinos or heated Gondola seats at The Yad snowHeadh
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Conditions look fab. We're flying out on Saturday for a ski safari with Collett's - very excited to discover some new areas which are a bit off the Sella Ronda circuit. Has anyone tried one of their ski safaris before? Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@luigi, Stop it about the warm weather coming. I'm already worried about there not being any left by the end of Feb...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FrequentFaller wrote:
@luigi, Stop it about the warm weather coming. I'm already worried about there not being any left by the end of Feb...

Don't worry!- the snow depths are way above last year and it takes a lot to melt compacted snow - plus if it's warm but clear it will still freeze overnight.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Although it will warm up during the first part of the week, GFS ensembles suggest a return to normal temps for the rest of the week till the end of the GFS run. Looks settled weather too. The earlier snow the ensembles suggested for the 25th has gone (at least for now). Bergfex was right (so far)!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I depart on Saturday for a week in Selva. Been skiing the Dolomites for over ten years but taking my 12 year old lad for the first time. Can't wait to show him around. Looks like the weather will be pretty good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jcosh, me too!

Happy days!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Has anyone had experience of doing the sella Ronda clockwise and avoiding the graveyard of Porta Vescova late in the day by taking the Pordaros lift and then the Carpazza chairlift, which looks like it brings you to the bottom of Paso Pordoi?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fortunately this morning's forecast has toned down some of the temperatures for next week.

Phew.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pjd, Yep, did this just yesterday, it works well. The Arabba Fly drops you just above Portados. Just remember to keep left on piste 1 (off the Carpazza) onto piste 14 or else you'll end up all the way back down at the Portados.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just curious -- does anyone have a link to credible totals in Val Gardena, at the base and, say, at the top of Dantercepies? I'm not concerned about the actual pistes, just the scenery Cool

On another note I cannot believe the dumps this winter in France.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@luigi,
Quote:

Forecasts suggest that it's going cold at the weekend with the possibility of some new snow, then warms up significantly next week, +5C at 2600m, +9C in the valley at Arabba on Wed

Latest forecast showing around freezing point in valley at Arabba daytime next Wednesday. Not too hot...not too cold...but JUST right...unless any snowHead meteorologists know different?

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Arabba/6day/bot
snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moosepig wrote:
@pjd, Yep, did this just yesterday, it works well. The Arabba Fly drops you just above Portados. Just remember to keep left on piste 1 (off the Carpazza) onto piste 14 or else you'll end up all the way back down at the Portados.

Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For those interested - there is a private weather station in Arabba. You can find it on WeatherUnderground

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/it/arabba
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@luigi,
Quote:

Forecasts suggest that it's going cold at the weekend with the possibility of some new snow, then warms up significantly next week, +5C at 2600m, +9C in the valley at Arabba on Wed

Latest forecast showing around freezing point in valley at Arabba daytime next Wednesday. Not too hot...not too cold...but JUST right...unless any snowHead meteorologists know different?

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Arabba/6day/bot
snowHead

Bergfex using ECM model has now dialled back the temps, but still going fairly mild midweek reaching +5C in Arabba on Wed:

https://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/

As others have said, there's plenty of snow, so it won't be going anywhere even if does get a bit soft in the sun on Wed afternoon.

Also, it's just a brief mild spell and winter looks to resume by the weekend.
snow report
Dry source air will make a difference too.

Bit windy today and felt colder particularly just after lunch. Exposed runs at the top of the pralongia plateaux were a bit unpleasant for a while. The sun came out fully the last hour. Pistes superb.

latest report
If any snowHeads wanting rental skis in Arabba from tomorrow...and not booked yet...can get vg price at 2 central stores by adding 1 more to our existing group.
We doing 6 days hire starting Monday (equipment collection Sunday afternoon/evening). Large range of skis from beginner through to expert. snowHead
ski holidays
I love dolomiti super ski app
It has a really good planning feature and great 3D map 2d map and normal map
V good re lifts open etc esp if you’re on a trip to the cinque torre or marmalada
Also as you can put your ski pass details into it and it tracks you as you go into lifts
I think the snow will hold up
We have been to Alta Badia for the last two years at half term and have had great snow (for us blues and reds) and this time last year there was nothing
So as long as there is 10/15 cm and not too much heat it will be fine
Remember the Dolomites get 300 days of sunshine so you will get to ski in the sun for at least one day unlike in France at the moment
snow conditions
@Peter S, I know those chairlifts; oldish, slowish and very exposed. They really ought to have fit them with covers by now.
latest report
Awesome last day to an awesome week. Skied over to alba really impressed with the new cable car and gondola to get there. At least 4 new gondolas in the sella Ronda since we were last here two years ago. The vulcano and black down to alba were in superb condition. Very easy to ski and not icy.

Bit of snow overnight. Next week looks very good and a bit warmer which will probably be welcome for those sunny lunches on the terrace. Cool

I think I can describe our trip this week as: perfection Everywhere. Only downside is more English voices now being heard. Laughing

Towards the Marmalada today from Belvedere.
latest report
Good to hear of the top-ups and a good dose of sunshine to enjoy it all. snowHead

It's certainly sounding like a Goldilocks would be enjoying the Dolomites this season so far...not too hot, not too cold, not too little snow and not too much...everything is just right!! Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm a complete stranger to Italy, let alone the Dolomites, but how is the season developing with regard to off piste conditions in the Arabba and Marmolada area?
snow conditions
4 to 6 inches of new snow this morning.
latest report
Mental amounts of snow look like falling on the 26/27th.
snow report
The squigglies for 26th-27th haven't converged yet. When they do in a few days time it'll look a bit more like the well correlated squiggle for 22nd-23rd. Snow, probably, but maybe not "mental" amounts.
edit, oh, and who just deleted that squiggly plot that was one post before this one?
snow report
@andy, Sorry but I moved the sqiggly line post to 'snow event's whilst you were posting..

Here it is again

======
Squiggly line forecast (centred on Arabba...)

Shows snow expected for the weekend of 26/27

====

Explanation of lines in this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852
latest report
andy wrote:
The squigglies for 26th-27th haven't converged yet. When they do in a few days time it'll look a bit more like the well correlated squiggle for 22nd-23rd. Snow, probably, but maybe not "mental" amounts.
edit, oh, and who just deleted that squiggly plot that was one post before this one?

I may have exaggerated Laughing but Bergfex, which I think is ECM based, suggest 35-40cm for St Ulrich, although one must of course be cautious so far in advance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@albob, how do I view these ensembles?
snow report
scotspikey wrote:

Here’s a link to one for the Grödnertal/ Val Gardena
https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.43724696356276&lon=11.60377358490566
snow report
pjd wrote:
andy wrote:

I may have exaggerated Laughing but Bergfex, which I think is ECM based, suggest 35-40cm for St Ulrich, although one must of course be cautious so far in advance.

I saw that on the Countryfile week ahead forecast this evening, it looked like a Genoa Low setup on Friday which can sometimes be fruitful for a dump in the Dolomites, but more often for NW Italy. Definitely something to keep an eye on.
snow report
Yes, Bergfex has it licking into the Lombardy Alps and the Dolomites on Friday with totals in the 30-50cm range.

https://www.bergfex.com/schneevorhersage/

(this will update in the morning, so will be interesting to see whether it gets further support or not)
latest report
Meanwhile, a few lingering snow showers for Mon morning, clearing up later. Tues & Wed look to be fine days, not totally clear, but with lots of sunshine before it clouds up during Thursday...according to ARPAV:

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

They haven't taken a view about Friday yet.
ski holidays
scotspikey wrote:

Go to this site

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/diagrams.php?model=gfs&continent=EU&member=OP&country=it

Ive chosen Italy, but you can select any country, then zoom in on the map and chose a location. On the 'pop-up' select Meteogram and you will be taken to another page.
Click on GFS, then Temp850PA & precipation

This is Selva

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=71412&model=gfs&var=201&run=12&lid=ENS&bw=

====

EDIT -- there may be an easier way !
snow conditions
Bergfex/ECM has dialled back on Friday's action for the Dolomites, the focus of the snowfall now looks to be further west around the Monte Rosa & Lombardy Alps, though it looks like most places in Italy will get something.
ski holidays
Probably a good thing. A little bit of snow each week is ideal. No lift or slope closures. Also this year most of the snow has obligingly fallen at night apparently snowHead
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
Bergfex/ECM has dialled back on Friday's action for the Dolomites, the focus of the snowfall now looks to be further west around the Monte Rosa & Lombardy Alps, though it looks like most places in Italy will get something.

12z GPS also has the ensembles as more varied than recent runs. 3b meteo even showing it as sunny for Sat, albeit that zwanzig centimeter will still fall on Fri night.
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Probably a good thing. A little bit of snow each week is ideal. No lift or slope closures. Also this year most of the snow has obligingly fallen at night apparently snowHead

Yes, long may the Goldilocks season continue!! snowHead

The ARPAV local forecast are agreeing with snow for Friday:

'Peggioramento del tempo fino a risultare perturbato con precipitazioni deboli e sparse al mattino, poi in intensificazione al pomeriggio. Il limite della neve sarà sugli 800/1100 m. Venti meridionali da moderati a tesi in quota.'

'Worsening weather with light scattered showers in the morning, getting heavier in the afternoon. Rain/snow limit around 800-1100m. Moderate to strong southerly gale at altitude.'

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
snow report
pjd wrote:
luigi wrote:

12z GPS also has the ensembles as more varied than recent runs. 3b meteo even showing it as sunny for Sat, albeit that zwanzig centimeter will still fall on Fri night.

18Z 180hr accumulation charts here:

Generous amounts across the Italian Alps, a bit sparser in the Dolomites though.
ski holidays
@luigi, more tension between Bergfex and GFS! Overnight run for Grödnertal/Gardena shows the predicted snow all but disappearing for 26/27. Yet 00z GFS enesembles almost all show a big sound spike for those coordinates (although the maps for that run suggest the heaviest snow will fall to the south of the area)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy