Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Washing Ski gear

Poster: A snowHead
My jacket is on its 4 trip in 3 years without washing it .Although it doesn't really smell i thought about freshening it up .
I was going run it through the machine on a rinse cycle ,no powders/water proofer etc

Does anyone use this method or does everyone use a reproof product ie Nikwax Tech Wash etc
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I asked this recently if you search through old threads - Nikwax came up a bit. I ended up just putting it through a normal wash (without cleaning product) and while it freshened up a tiny bit, the oil based stains didn’t really disappear. Didn’t seem to lose any waterproofing though, oddly. Or puffiness (poly jacket)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do mine on a 15 min, 30 degree wash, with a little liquid detergent, no conditioner. Once a year, after 2-3 trips. I use a bit of Vanish powder made into a paste on any stains (my sweaty collar!). No probs on a 4 year old jacket. Same for my £20 off SH, used Westbeach trousers.

CG
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do mine on a 15 min, 30 degree wash, with a little liquid detergent, no conditioner. Once a year, after 2-3 trips. I use a bit of Vanish powder made into a paste on any stains (my sweaty collar!). No probs on a 4 year old jacket. Same for my £20 off SH, used Westbeach trousers.

CG
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We use the Nikwax products successfully. My old NorthFace jacket is now on its 6th year and had regular trips through the wash with Nikwax wash and reproofing products and still good to go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We use Nikwax as well. They now do a 2 in one wash and proof wash through liquid. Haven't used it. Oily stains don't always (often don't) come out.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Nikwax. I get better results from a 40 degree wash, using ordinary detergent, followed by a spray than I do from the wash-in product (which I also can't help feeling might affect the breathability).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you have oily stains, rub some of the tech wash directly into the stain before washing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My new goretex stuff suggests washing on a very cool wash, then tumbledrying to "re-activate" the waterproofing. I've yet to do it, but my trousers are about to get done. I guess I should properly read the instructions first.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The instructions on my Eider gear say to use Bio washing powder. Anyone else do this?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Halo or generic non-bio powder/liquid/gel, 30 degrees, no fabric softener; gentle spin cycle.

Tumble or drip dry.

Nick
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Currently have my salopettes in the wash as I type.

Another vote for Nikwax, currently on a cycle with Tech Wash, then I'll wash through again using the TX.Direct.

@Hells Bells, good tip... if only I'd read this an hour ago rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
regular 40 degree wash, tesco colour wash tablets, tumble dry. try to remember not to use fabric softener but I know I have done. I haven't noticed any loss of performance in the wet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On one occasion I dont think my trousers got rinsed enough and on a rainy day in Les Gets I was foaming at the knees! I just dont bother washing gear so frequently these days.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you have a down jacket or a thermobobble jacket from TNF then throw a couple of tennis balls in the tumble dryer with them to fluff up the pile
latest report
If it doesn't pong and is still water /snow proof, why bother?
But if you do, subject to its wading instructions label, I'd do it properly, Nikwax Tech Wash then TX Direct wash-in or just spray on and drip dry.
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
If it doesn't pong

Ah, but sometimes the pong is not obvious to the owner but to everyone else it is spoo .

I'm another Techwash user.
snow conditions
Hi

I have always washed my Gore tex jacket and salopettes in Grangers. I use the 2 in 1 wash and proofer. Wash on 30 degree gentle cycle and then dry them in the tumble drier on the timed warm air setting until dry to the touch. Quick final airing on a hanger and job done.

Griggs
snow report
Another vote for Nikwax....I have a work coat which gets used all year round. It gets covered in grease, mank, dirt, oil, diesel, more mank. It said on the label it would be good for 21 wash cycles. 4 years and 200 boil washes later it is still waterproof and stain free. I do a boil wash with normal detergent and then a low heat Nikwax Tech wash.
snow report
Nickwax tech wash and re-proof with wash in Nickwax. slow spin as per instructions. Do it every couple of months if we are skiing everyday, or at end of season. Same with all our walking gear. All waterproofing seems to be working well, I have both Goretex and Paramo gear. I basically wash everything this way. Been doing it for years. No issues. Usually do 30 degree, but I make sure all traces of detergent are cleaned from the washer before I do it.
ski holidays
Another vote for the Grangers 2 in 1.....always feels strange though placing salopettes/jacket in a tumble dryer for the Proofing to take...
snow conditions
I’m not sure there’s a lot of difference between Nikwax vs Granger’s.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I’m not sure there’s a lot of difference between Nikwax vs Granger’s.

I've used both, depending on what the shop had in and what price. Got a large quantity of Nikwax off EB at good price though, so use that.
snow report
tech wash followed by a nikwax/revivex/grangers spray or grangers reproof wash then tumble dry . Kit comes out nice and crispy.

this video from Arc may be helpful:

http://youtube.com/v/I4N6ZuKTZ_c
snow conditions
I use Grangers, seems to work pretty well and I get beading on my ski trousers afterwards.
latest report
Depends what type of jacket surely? I ski in my walking gear i.e. goretex outer shell and thin or thick fleece. Wash with Waitrose waterproof clothing wash.
ski holidays
I use Nixwax to clean, most places say your gear will last longer if you actually clean it rather than leaving it and not washing it!

Good tip on rubbing in the Nixwax wash neat for oil stains, will try that, lift grease is a PITA on brightly coloured stuff!

I’m also in the camp of thinking all the wash in re-proofers can’t be a good idea for Gore-tex breathable type stuff, as your just going to waterproof the inside membrane as well and effectively make it a bin liner and loose the breathability of the item. So I stick to the Nixwax spray on stuff, wipe off the excess, then tumble dry.
ski holidays
I don't wash my goretex Norrona ski kit ever, and it doesn't smell, why wash it if its not dirty?

My OH does wash her goretex ski trousers and jacket 30C no conditioner, doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect.

I wash my goretex MTB jacket and it leaks like a sieve......gets washed 2x weekly and very muddy (didn't cost £600 either)........gather from that whatever you like.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grizzler,

I’m with you.

December-Feb - nice and snowy, bright colours stay bright and clean. Never wash them. I wear thermals top and bottom. They get washed a lot.

Feb-April - muddy, grubby all over gates etc - bright colours get nasty black tinge to all the seams. Greasy cr+p falls off the installations. But at this time I join the local Hard Bunch and their clothes are all fetid and ripped - pisteur gloves with gaffer tape etc. Er...never wash the Feb-April clothes and I tend to look like PigPen. I still wear thermals and they get washed a lot.

I recently gave some really high performing trousers to my partner - they were trendy camo pattern. Which really hides the cack. She put them on in the morning and then on the first uplift said ‘...these are disgusting, when I look at them closely they are filthy...’. Yep. Look good from a distance, though.

I don’t agree with the ‘you have to wash everything and they last longer’. It is true that dirt encourages bridging across the outer fabric and the PTFE inner, ie wetting out, which then prevents the membrane from working. Has to be pretty bad for this to happen, though. Renewal of WDR is not easy, so if clothes are not obviously nasty, we leave them.

Of the Hard Bunch, my son says ‘...grief they are good...but they do smell a bit....’. Frankly, when we are hooning around on the side piste with them, who cares about grubby clothes, the skiing says it all....

Small coda - yep, we wash stuff, yep we do what the Arc ‘ video says, yep we use grangers, yep the spray on stuff seems best. Yep I like beading...

...but being realistic, nothing ever works as well as it did on day one.
latest report
This string has just reminded me that I have not washed my ski jacket in 15 years!!!! Only manage 1 week skiing per year. Maybe about time for a wash! I can't smell anything, but I always remember the "Lifeboy" adverts from the 60's.

http://youtube.com/v/Wure26PhGYo
snow report
valais2 wrote:
who cares about grubby clothes, the skiing says it all....

My skiing's not good enough to hide the dirt! I prefer to eat lunch without people moving tables because of the smell... Little Angel

To be fair, I don't wash my ski jacket (it's black) very often at all - but the trousers get washed every holiday.
ski holidays
I always took the view that waterproofing the interior of outdoor clothing with the ease of using a wash in product wasnt a good idea.
Easy to chuck it in a machine but the products are contrary to all breathability .

In cold temps it wouldnt matter but in warm temps it seems a boil in the bag outcome during any level of physical activity .

Saying all that goretex is pretty much a plastic lining/membrane between fabrics that claims breathability where in practice its often boil in the bag during activity .
They spout about its breathability no end..... but its not hard to overload goretex breathability in reality
So spray or washin is a personal choice bur I tend towards a good spray with a cheaper pure liquid soap wash that leaves no residue if rinsed .

The nik wax tech wash is handy instore but likely overpriced any oil or black is best spot treated with something strong then pure soap wash/rinse out the residue before spray.
I spray while damp too .

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 14-04-18 18:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Tirol 164, ...Gore and Event do deliver, but some membranes suck, such as the boil-in-a-bag Black Diamond B-Dry (actually should be named bee-wet). Absolutely agree re spray on after careful wash then tumble dry to activate. Wash in seems bonkers.
snow report
Thanks for all the great advice

I may have to revisit this thread next year
Its not dirty and smells ok ,so ive decided to leave it until after my next trip
ski holidays
Quote:

Its not dirty and smells ok ,so ive decided to leave it until after my next trip

Wise move wink
snow report
probably for the best just to leave it.

The only thing I have invested in, to put my ski clothes in when washing, is a Guppy friend. With all the recent media attention on micro plastics entering our water ways through the washing or polyester/plastic/nylon clothes, I was mortified to think that I was contributing to it when I got back from an Indoor session within my local snowdome and then washed my clothes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy