Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better!
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

telepeage doofer

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've yet to be held up in traffic queues with our toll badge.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

More and more French drivers are using a doofer

I haven't really noticed. Almost all the French cars I see are going through the normal lanes. Of the cars on the road a higher pecentage of UK cars appear to use the telepeage than French ones, probably because of the issue of having only a single driver - on the wrong side of the car. To be honest I cannot see it being much of a time saver. It takes 15 to 30 seconds to go through the booth - stop, stick ticket in, stick card in and out, drive away. - provided you have a passenger.

A few weeks ago I found myself on the toll bridge to Wales and panicked because I was on my own in the car. It was quite a shock to find the (very expensive) toll booth on the right hand side
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

More and more French drivers are using a doofer


Are they? I have noticed however that the péage at Annemasse now has two of the non-stop 30 kph "T" lanes...
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I have noticed however that the péage at Annemasse now has two of the non-stop 30 kph "T" lanes...

and they are well used..... I rest my case. And, as noted above, almost all the lanes now have a t over the top, whereas one used to have to be quite careful to pick the right one. I've never had to wait long to go through a T-lane, though the motorway from Geneva to Chamonix sometimes has short queues. But I don't travel at peak times - I've driven north through Reims, when the half term hordes are heading south, past a mile or more of queues, solid in all lanes.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should you get a flat battery or other ailment you can use a manned booth - they simply scan the barcode on the tag. Teversing out of the T lane may be more of a challenge Toofy Grin
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I always order mine from https://www.tolltickets.com . You can get it delivered if you want but I just pick it up at the Harbour Shipping window in Stop24 services at Folkestone. £4.03 upfront. After that, only charged for tolls unless you stay over 3 weeks then it is 22p per day. Always use it in summer. Find it quite funny when going in the T Lane at toll booths. Any French cars behind me drop right off presuming I’ve got in wrong lan and they don’t want to get stuck behind me. Very Happy
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dougie, they appear to charge 9% on top of tolls.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow! I have been getting these boxes for four years now and never noticed that! Sorry for duff info everyone.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dougie, I would be sending that badge back and signing up with someone else if I were you. Shocked
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
Should you get a flat battery or other ailment you can use a manned booth - they simply scan the barcode on the tag. Teversing out of the T lane may be more of a challenge Toofy Grin


the APRR nes don't do that any more. We tried 4 manned toll booths before someone said we had to go to the head office.
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dougie wrote:
I always order mine from https://www.tolltickets.com . You can get it delivered if you want but I just pick it up at the Harbour Shipping window in Stop24 services at Folkestone. £4.03 upfront. After that, only charged for tolls unless you stay over 3 weeks then it is 22p per day. Always use it in summer. Find it quite funny when going in the T Lane at toll booths. Any French cars behind me drop right off presuming I’ve got in wrong lan and they don’t want to get stuck behind me. Very Happy


Most of us order one and keep it for many years with just a small charge of a couple of euro per month it is used.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it true that you can use one of these (Sanef?) on the M25 Dartford crossing?
latest report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Arctic Roll, no. From their website

Quote:
3.8. Can I use the tag in the UK at Dartford/ M6 toll/ Severn Crossing?

The Sanef Tolling Liber-t tag will work in France only.
Sanef Tolling is a separate company to Emovise Operations Leeds who operate the Dartford crossing.
Your Liber-t tag will work in France only at the moment, if/when this changes all customers would be informed via email.
The contact details for Emovis Operations Leeds are correspondence@dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk
Emovis Operations Leeds telephone number is 0300 300 0120
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, thanks. One day, one day...
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arctic Roll, I set up an account with Dartford crossings and stuck a tenner in it, so I don't have to worry about getting online to pay .
snow report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Use SANEF one and it is brilliant. Agree with all the comments about other drivers expecting to see you get stuck.
Children started a chorus of 'so long suckers' as we sped away from those left in their queue! Very Happy
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use mine in hire cars and went out in March with a mate who is a production manager at Fords. He gave me a good tip...

If you or your passenger hold the fob up when approaching tolls, hold it at the black/gradiated area behind your mirror. This area of the windscreen doesn't have any metallic coating (to protect you from UV) and the fob range is much, much better.

It works!
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This thread reminds me to take my doofer when I fly out on Saturday. Hiring a car for 12 days - 3 return trips to GVA in the time. 12 tolls. Must remember not to leave it though......
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems to me that a much higher proportion of Brits have the doofers than the French. But they are catching up so less of the flashing lights with the inference of you stoooopid rosbif. However, Les Flics always stand to the right of the toll booths so they have little time to pounce as you wiz through the 30kph lane to check your bulbs, jackets etc if they are feeling that way out.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, I have an AREA one, when I bought it they offered 2 options, no annual fee and full price or €80 with a 25% discount on AREA area tolls, so not worth it for me as most of my k's are coming down from the North.
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

But they are catching up so less of the flashing lights with the inference of you stoooopid rosbif.

In all the times I've driven back and forth to the Alps - 3 or 4 times a year - I've never had the flashing lights experience. There are (as this thread testifies) plenty of Brits with péage doofers - so it would be a bit odd, anyway. But if it gives people some satisfaction to think that they are getting one over on French drivers, why not? It's a cheap thrill. wink
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have to admit I always like it when the drivers who really tank along at 100mph or so are then stuck in the queues to pay while we glide through the T lane.
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, It must be because they dare not cross you Pam! I have had lights, manic gesticulating behind the wheel and shouts through the window. Clearly I reply with a doff of the cap.
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@olderscot, me too.

I recall one trip back home being overtaken four times by a black Range Rover with darkened windows between Chalons and Calais. First time on the open motorway South of Reims, got back past him at the first peage, second time on the non-peage stretch round Reims, past him again at the second peage, third time somewhere just North of the second peage, then he appears behind me at huge speed somewhere up near Arras. Presumably he had to stop for another 70l of petrol.

Effectively took him 200km to overtake!
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:
I use mine in hire cars and went out in March with a mate who is a production manager at Fords. He gave me a good tip...

If you or your passenger hold the fob up when approaching tolls, hold it at the black/gradiated area behind your mirror. This area of the windscreen doesn't have any metallic coating (to protect you from UV) and the fob range is much, much better.

It works!


That's exactly in accordance with the printed fitting instructions that came with my APRR supplied tag - it said affix it to the windscreen in the black/graduated area behind the mirror. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have the APRR one, was a 10 euro deposit at the time plus 1.70 charge per month, but only in the months used. This goes straight to the credit card. There are subscriptions for frequent users, but not worth it for most of us.

After five years or so, suffering a bit of doofer anxiety about the battery failing at the toll booth, I just requested a replacement on the website. So long as the old one is returned within 30 days there is no charge.

It amazes me on a busy weekend trip to the slopes the amount of french cars sitting in long queues waiting to pay, while I just sail straight past.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
I use mine in hire cars and went out in March with a mate who is a production manager at Fords. He gave me a good tip...

If you or your passenger hold the fob up when approaching tolls, hold it at the black/gradiated area behind your mirror. This area of the windscreen doesn't have any metallic coating (to protect you from UV) and the fob range is much, much better.

It works!


That's exactly in accordance with the printed fitting instructions that came with my APRR supplied tag - it said affix it to the windscreen in the black/graduated area behind the mirror. Madeye-Smiley


My AREA one came with instructions on how to mount it, which I binned as it only gets used in hire cars. It probably also said about this area of the screen, had I read them rolling eyes
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
manufacturer wrote:
Typical battery lifetime more than 7 years
@ 2000 transactions/year


From datasheet here: https://www.kapsch.net/ktc/Portfolio/products/in-vehicle/5-8-cen-dsrc-on-board-units

Installation instructions here: https://www.myrta.com/myrta/assets/downloads/kapsch-class2-car-tag-installation-instructions.pdf
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bar shaker, you have the same problem as my hubby who had clagged our new one onto the wrong bit of the windscreen rolling eyes . Sorted now .
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bar shaker wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
I use mine in hire cars and went out in March with a mate who is a production manager at Fords. He gave me a good tip...

If you or your passenger hold the fob up when approaching tolls, hold it at the black/gradiated area behind your mirror. This area of the windscreen doesn't have any metallic coating (to protect you from UV) and the fob range is much, much better.

It works!


That's exactly in accordance with the printed fitting instructions that came with my APRR supplied tag - it said affix it to the windscreen in the black/graduated area behind the mirror. Madeye-Smiley


My AREA one came with instructions on how to mount it, which I binned as it only gets used in hire cars. It probably also said about this area of the screen, had I read them rolling eyes


My tip for hire cars/temp fix - Blu Tack.
ski holidays     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My SANEF once finally ran out again after about 6 years service a month or two back on a weekend trip to Arras. Asked where the nearest office was (jct1 on the A1) and exchanged it for a new one...would never be without it. There is also an office near Reims Tinqueux which i have used one Easter weekend several years back for a walk in exchange.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mishmash wrote:

My tip for hire cars/temp fix - Blu Tack.


Good tip!!
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use APRR but I have a French bank account which keeps thngs easy for me. Only charges a fee for months used on LiberT Balade. Has saved me serious time on a number of occasions heading North into Paris from Lyon.
snow report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy