Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European School Holidays 2018-19

Poster: A snowHead

Click image for a clearer version

Courtesy, once again, of Eric Bonnel:

https://twitter.com/ebonnel

Note that Mardi Gras / Fasching is 5 March and Easter is 21 April.

Preceding year: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2966764

Succeeding year: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3302170

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 6-12-18 22:39; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Germany
https://www.schulferien.org/deutschland/ferien/2017-2018/
https://www.schulferien.org/deutschland/ferien/2018-2019/

Austria
https://www.feiertage-oesterreich.at/schulferien/2017/
https://www.feiertage-oesterreich.at/schulferien/2018/
https://www.feiertage-oesterreich.at/schulferien/2019/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-10-17 2:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DB, you might want to edit those links to add a year Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
YAY!!!

Always an annual highlight when those of us who like to plan 18 months in advance can get down to working how to get the best of the season while avoiding those pesky kids

Thanks @altis, and to mon ami Monsieur Bonnel if he is watching. If I could send him 10€ I would do.

Looks good... some interesting opportunities in early Feb and in early March that don't always present themselves... although the lateness of Fasching rather puts a damper on the 2-9th March week
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our kids are off the first week in April which looks pretty awesome, especially as our Feb half term looks busy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Norway (Vinterferie):

Week 7, 8, 9 with week 8 being the most busy/expensive (includes Oslo).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So the main 2019 Feb half term looks like a mega busy (and expensive) week.

So it got me thinking of going to USA or Canada instead....

Does anyone have details of USA /Canada school & public holidays too??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely looks like the first week of Easter is the one to aim for (for those of us with children of course!)

EoSB will be the second week? Given we'll actually be in school holidays for the EoSB for a change, does that mean there might be no call for the quieter week for a family pre-EoSB as we're doing this year?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have just returned from Megeve and the slopes were really quiet. We clashed with zone B. Looking ahead to next year I see our preferred week clashes with Zone C only, does anyone know if Zone C will be a lot busier both in resort and on the drive down from Calais. Any advice greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sheffskibod, February is not a customary holiday time in the states. Most schools here do a one week break in March as the only significant 2nd semester holiday. President's Day (on a Monday) tends to be a relatively busy weekend though, so that weekend is Saturday Feb. 16-Monday Feb 18 in 2019. It's generally not super busy though, it's just a couple of days, and most of the time North American resorts are less crowded than Europe, so I wouldn't let intersection with that weekend dissuade you entirely in any event.

Edit: typo
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DB, why did you add separate links for Germany? Isn't that Column D already including in the chart above?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do the larger French resorts (L3V, Tignes/Val d'Isere, Paradiski) get many people on holiday, from Germany and Austria, in the first week of February?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sparklies wrote:

EoSB will be the second week? Given we'll actually be in school holidays for the EoSB for a change, does that mean there might be no call for the quieter week for a family pre-EoSB as we're doing this year?

Well, there will definitely be at least one (possibly lonesome) call for a bash with a family element in week 16 which I think is what you're calling the second week of Easter. Whether it is called pre-/SFaB or EoSB makes no odds, we only get the one week here in Sweden.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
monkbeer wrote:
Do the larger French resorts (L3V, Tignes/Val d'Isere, Paradiski) get many people on holiday, from Germany and Austria, in the first week of February?

You wouldn't get that many - certainly not enough to make it "busy". So would be a good week to go.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Easter Holidays 2019 in Belgium are 1 week earlier, from 6 to 20 of april
snow report
Layne wrote:
monkbeer wrote:

You wouldn't get that many - certainly not enough to make it "busy". So would be a good week to go.

I’m doing last week in Jan followed by first week in Feb in France. Should miss the crowds. Now I just need to wait for the snow to do the the righ thing snowHead
snow report
Booked for weeks 12 / 13 so far, looks good ...............assuming we can get back after Brexit Very Happy
snow report
tomlin169 wrote:
Booked for weeks 12 / 13 so far, looks good ...............assuming we can get back after Brexit Very Happy

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Week 10 in Austria, do the German and French holidays have much of an effect on crowds in Austria? Also Fasching is that week and I don't know anything about it, does that increase the crowds considerably?
latest report
@conor90, German and Scandinavian holidays yes, French holidays no. Fasching often coincides with semester holidays in Austria, but in 2019 that isn't the case. Fasching is celebrated on the Tuesday (Mardi Gras). There will be a lot of people in silly outfits and maybe a procession and/or beer tents.
snow conditions
@queenie_pretty_please Based on the chart above there are some German and Swedish holidays, do you think these would make it very busy in Austria for the week 2nd to 9th March?
snow conditions
The Dutch will be in Austria in force for faschings this year, I suspect.
https://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/school-holidays-holland/
latest report
Looking at Ski Amade either week commencing 2nd March or w.c. 9th March. With Fasching 4/5 March I’m assuming the slopes will be busier than normal but would that last the whole week ? Is it a significant enough difference to influence my choice of week ?
ski holidays
@BJP, given that Fasching does not coincide with a Semesterferien this season it's likely to be a bit less busy, but I expect Faschingsdienstag (Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras) will see a lot of people in silly outfits. Very Happy

Week commencing 9th is a better bet for fewer holidays but to be honest it's really only New Year week and Vienna week when there are any signs of lift queues in Ski Amadé.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, thanks very much for the local info, much appreciated.
snow report
Another very useful resource for French holidays and the likely impact on traffic is the Crafty Bison (Bison Futé), current year can be found here https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/18223_Calendrier_2019_Bison_Fute_A3_DEF_Web.pdf
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy