Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on “papoose” to ski with my dog

Poster: A snowHead
We spend the season skiing and now have a dog (will be 8-9kg this winter). I would like to occasionally carry her around the pistes in a secure harness/papoose/rucksack as safely and comfortably as possible for her. Does anyone have experience of this? What product would you recommend I get?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skier52,
Weathercam takes his dogs skiing, but not on the pistes, he usually goes touring with them I think. They go in his rucksack if they're tired.
Even in a 'secure' bag you might not be allowed on the slopes with them. Some resorts don't allow dogs on lifts at all in the winter, as if lift fails and they need rescued it may not be possible for you to still be wearing that bag. Doesn't apply to all resorts of course. 9kg is quite a lot to be carrying around for any length of time too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks HB. Have seen dogs in our village gondola in winter and occasionally on a chairlift, but I will check resort website and maybe email them re dogs. I would only take her up on a few sunny days when we fancy a trip up for a long mountain lunch stop and so only on gondola and a couple of chairs. I have lost 5kg in weight since April so hopefully it will feel like I am skiing with a 4kg dog 😃!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We tend to just take our dogs for a nice long walk on the snowy tracks, although hubby did take them down the piste in Val Thorens. Too big to carry though, I'd need a crane for Bentley (44kg), and they are no longer allowed on the Cairn gondola for safety reasons.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How would you carry it on the lift? What if you fell? If the dog isn't moving, how will it stay warm?

The safe place for your dog is at home.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@skier52, where do you ski?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally speaking, I'd be extremely annoyed if I had to share a gondola or chair lift with dog.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dr John, to be fair no-one was asking you to.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hells Bells, the village running this gondola and chairlift were

skier52 wrote:
Have seen dogs in our village gondola in winter and occasionally on a chairlift

I'd like to see what happened if a dog caused an accident to a skier or boarder. Would the dog owner's insurance cover the medical expenses and compensation for loss of holiday time?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dr John no-one is asking you (or forcing you) to share a chairlift with a dog. It isn't compulsory, even if dogs are allowed on there. No-one was going skiing with a loose or out of control dog either. It was going to be secured in a rucksack/papoose. As you can see, we advised against it.
For example, in Serre Chevalier, you can take your dog in the cable car and on the Prorel gondola in summer, but not in winter. You can take a dog on a chairlift, but it must be inside a bag (also in summer only, and obviously a very small dog). People can cause accidents too and probably a lot more frequently than a dog does.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skier52,
Quote:

What product would you recommend I get?

Don't forget the pooper scooper. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Personally speaking, I'd be extremely annoyed if I had to share a gondola or chair lift with dog.

I'd be delighted to. There aren't many places that the presence of a dog doesn't improve. They also seem to make people nicer and more sociable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skier52, we have a Julius K9 harness for Coco, 9.8 kgs last week, which we use in the summer on the chairlifts around Les Gets and the rest of the PDS in the summer. We don't take her skiing or on the chair lifts in the winter but she has always been allowed in the gondolas. We only go out in the winter if we have non skiing friends staying or get a dog walker/sitter in. I think she would wriggle a lot if we put her in a papoose or backpack, and might get cold.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

I'd be delighted to. There aren't many places that the presence of a dog doesn't improve. They also seem to make people nicer and more sociable.
Absolutely right! The one place I don't want a dog is in my bed though, oh and on my new sofa, but that's probably my personal Waterloo.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Genuine question, would those who would happily carry a dog whilst skiing also carry a baby??
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, good question. I am never happy seeing babies taken round the mountains on the back of a skier.
latest report
@PaulC1984,
Quote:

would those who would happily carry a dog whilst skiing also carry a baby??

Yes but I'd want loud music through my headphones to drown the crying and barking. Shocked
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
Genuine question, would those who would happily carry a dog whilst skiing also carry a baby??

No to both bits of the question. Even the most competent skiers fall occasionally.
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely right! The one place I don't want a dog is in my bed though, oh and on my new sofa, but that's probably my personal Waterloo.

I can strongly recommend a dog or two in your bed. Was pretty much the norm growing up. Helped to keep warm!

snow conditions
Im just interested to know if people who don't thing its ok to ski with a baby in a papoose, why they then think its ok to ski with a dog in one.

Im all for taking the dogs out on the mountain, absolutely no problem sharing a lift with one, but pop a lead on it and let the bug walk.

As you say @HossDoc, we all fall, and whether it be a baby or dog, its not going to come off too well - and should the dog be ok, unless you tie it to yourself, you will then have a loose, scared and erratic dog racing around.
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, the week we got the keys for our apartment was particularly cold. We'd booked a small studio+cabine so that we were sure of having a bed during Christmas week. The place was freezing, and hadn't been used for months if not years. Bedding was totally inadequate for -25 overnight temperatures. We dug new duvets and covers out of our roof box and cranked up the rubbish electric heaters. Our dog Meg obediently lay on her bed, and I gave her a couple of blankets. Within 10 minutes she'd got onto the sofabed, squeezed in between us, and was impossible to shift. However she probably saved us from dying of cold during the night. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
intermediate wrote:
@skier52,
Quote:

What product would you recommend I get?

Don't forget the pooper scooper. snowHead

Smile
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
@skier52, we have a Julius K9 harness for Coco, 9.8 kgs last week, which we use in the summer on the chairlifts around Les Gets and the rest of the PDS in the summer. We don't take her skiing or on the chair lifts in the winter but she has always been allowed in the gondolas. We only go out in the winter if we have non skiing friends staying or get a dog walker/sitter in. I think she would wriggle a lot if we put her in a papoose or backpack, and might get cold.

Thanks, looked at Julius K9 harness, will consider, as dog is growing out of her cheap puppy one.
snow conditions
@skier52, when we are using this harness, only in the summer we don't use it in the winter, David has a short piece of rope attached by a strong clip on to Coco's harness and then clipped onto a strong belt he wears, so if she did slip it wouldn't be very far and easier to retrieve her.
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
Genuine question, would those who would happily carry a dog whilst skiing also carry a baby?
Sure.
It's not a particularly useful analogy though, depending on why you're making it. A baby has little input on what happens to it, and is completely dependent upon it's owner, and is subject to rather different laws from a dog.

...I'd be extremely annoyed if I had to share a gondola or chair lift with dog
You'll often find one or two in the first tram at Snowbird. Friendly dogs, that is, not annoyed insurance people.
ski holidays
@philwig, the dogs dependance and laws should not be used as an excuse or reason though.

As I said I am all for taking the dog on a mountain for a walk, more than happy with them on the lifts, but who is benefiting from the dog being in a papoose while skiing.

You say a baby has little input on the choice to ski - I've not met a dog yet that has requested to be bundled into a papoose and hit the slopes.

Seems more like the OP wants the dog along for her own cute and cuddly reasons rather than for the dogs enjoyment.

Now I'm not for one second having a go, calling the OP a bad owner - it is quite clear the OP loves her pup, and it's nice to see her getting out, but take the dog up on the lift, have lunch and head back down on the lift.

Skiing with babies or dogs in papoose's is just senseless.
latest report
We used to take our old dog up in the telecabine in Les Carroz. Not unkown to see dogs up top, walking along the side of the piste, on a lead. We regularly see a chap in Flaine skinning up the side of Serpentine with his miniature Yorkshire terrier walking in front, on an extending lead. It goes into a front paposse when he skis back down again. The kids love to just stand and watch. I am full of admiration of how far they both walk uphill Confused
snow conditions
delete duplicate post

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 4-10-17 10:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker wrote:
How would you carry it on the lift? What if you fell?

I had to read that a few times to realise what you meant. The first few times I thought you meant, what if you fell off the lift?

Because in that scenario I wouldn't be that fussed about the additional problems posed by the dog.
snow conditions
I've seen that bloke in Flaine with his Yorkie. Must weigh 16/17st. The bloke, that is. Looks like Obelix. If he falls the dog is jam. Or toast. Well dead, unpleasantly. Totally irresponsible. As is carrying round dogs whilst skiing, full stop. As is carrying round children (i.e. babies) whilst skiing. There's been a long thread about that already. OP got slated for proprosing it, quite rightly: idiot.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

True, I would have no problems having a dog in either a Gondola, or a chair,. Most places in Europe seem to welcome dogs a lot more than the UK and Ireland do, and I think it is a better Idea.
On the original question, I have seen dogs in knapsacks, and if you are piste skiing chances are that the dog will be happy enough skiing the runs with you, with an odd piddle break, and if off piste, then with a dog your size, you could put it back in the knapsack again?? do put a bright orange little coat on it though so you can spot it. Enjoy skiing with your dog. I had great fun with a friends lab last year, I felt like I was five again chasing it down the slopes.
snow conditions
"I have seen dogs in knapsacks, and if you are piste skiing chances are that the dog will be happy enough skiing the runs with you, with an odd piddle break, and if off piste, then with a dog your size, you could put it back in the knapsack again?? do put a bright orange little coat on it though so you can spot it. Enjoy skiing with your dog. I had great fun with a friends lab last year, I felt like I was five again chasing it down the slopes."

You are crazy! I'm sure the dog will love it....until it gets frostbite. Or mashed. I'm sure other skiers and boarders will love it...until it gets in their way and makes them crash. Doubtless a twee "bright orange little coat" will prevent all that though. Not.

Madness. Sheer stupidity. Enjoy the various court claims taking a dog skiing will bring one's way...
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

I can strongly recommend a dog or two in your bed. Was pretty much the norm growing up. Helped to keep warm!

snowHead To be honest the only reason our choc lab doesn't go in the beds is because they are upstairs and he's scared of walking up stairs / scared of heights. The few times we have taken him in a gondola he's been a nervous wreck by the time we reach the top.
snow report
I had to carry a badly injured 26 kg dog off an extremely steep hill a month ago & luckily I had a roe sack with me, which did the job well. They come with a washable liner which would be handy for you. As others have said, I wouldn't think that having a dog in a back-pack whilst skiing would be safe for the dog & I certainly wouldn't do it.

I've always had working dogs & have used them in the snow with no particular problems but I'm sure you are aware of the issues & keep an eye on their paws; if you stop, make sure they have a groundsheet or similar & a throw to cover them & keep them warm. I would consider taking a dog cross-country skiing (& have been out with our pointers at Glenshee about 40 years ago!) but having one on piste would be about the same as letting it play on a busy road.
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:

Why? Some have better personal hygiene that some younger skiers and boarders
snow conditions
@janny, not sure how you think I am crazy but dogs have fur, and on sunny days there is very little difference between being on the slopes or just out for a walk, . It would depend on the weather, and there are things called boots for dogs.

To the op, here are some helpful bits of advice for you,
https://www.kurgo.com/blog/tips-tricks-for-skiing-with-your-dog/
ski holidays
Quote:

Why on earth not a gondola? If you don't like it get on the next one, Generally I have not seen any dogs on chairlifts.
snow report
I've only ever seen the avalanche and piste rescue dogs on there.
ski holidays
Got to admit that in a back pack I'd be worried for the same reasons it's a bad plan with kids ... frostbite and falling/squashing.

Truly doesn't seem like a fine idea.

Touring on the other hand...
snow conditions
Quote:

Quote:

Why on earth not a gondola?

Maybe because they tend to mark their territory by cocking one back leg up and...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy