Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Complete Novice Family trip to La Clusaz Area

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, We are about to book our first ever winter holiday to La Clusaz for Feb next year. Ages range from 13 to 48 and we want to go sledging, snowshoeing, maybe a horse driven carriage ride and generally play about in the snow. If we manage to learn a little skiing then that is a bonus. The kids really want to give it a go but a couple of the adults are more weary due to being a little more fragile.

We have read lots of information about the area but am a little confused about the Gondolers, some say non skiers and others skiers only. What is the benefit of going upon the gondola? Can we get the gondoler down or do we need to walk? if so do we need snowshoes to walk down? Is there somewhere to eat up there? Sorry for the really daft questions, everyone has to start somewhere! And we live in the south of England where we literally get NO snow at all.
Would really value some practical information and guidance for a complete newbie.

Many Thanks
Jules Puzzled Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads @JulesBod, snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Usually gondolas take skiiers and pedestrians, whereas most chairlifts only take skiiers. You can take gondolas up and down. I have been to La Clusaz and it is a lovely resort but I spent my time skiing so don't know anything about snow shoeing there.

I would suggest looking at the website of Peak Retreats, the TO we regularly use, as they usually list information on non skiing activities in resorts. I would also recommend booking with them as they offer more in terms of customer service than larger operators which would be useful for a first ski trip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're talking about the Beauregard Gondola that goes up Mount Beauregard from the central lift area then yes, you can go up and down in the gondola, pedestrians welcome although you will need a ticket / pass.

There are a couple of eating places up there. A restaurant by the Gondola and another cafe place a little lower down which has some nice tables outside where you can sit in the sunshine (weather permitting) . There's also lots of walking routes up there which you can do without snowshoes.

It's a great place. We went there 3 years in a row.

Mike
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with what’s being said - the tourist office would be a good place to start as I think there is snowshoe available somewhere

ESI international ski school worth a look - they worked wonders with my daughter

Try and stay near La Clusaz - it’s a cool village in the evenings!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JulesBod, nothing to add to the excellent advice above, just want to add to @x7's welcome to snowheads. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't know La Clusaz but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer a range of snowshoe walks - and almost certainly the ski schools run accompanied walks. You just need decent walking boots - and then rent snowshoes to strap on. On anything but a very easy track you also need poles - long ones, like XC ski poles. Be careful about snowshoeing on your own - need to be aware of avalanche risk - sometimes routes in my resort (Les Saisies) which are normally safe are closed because of avalanche risk.

Sounds like a great holiday! But if you want to give skiing a decent chance, you probably need to sign up for a week of ski school.
snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really like La Clusaz. It's a very "French" resort, which hasn't been taken over by Brits, something I like.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are tons of French resorts which haven't been taken over by Brits - most of whom could only name half a dozen. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all for your messages. Really looking forward to some days in the snow.
Another question, How late do the buses run from the village towards Annecy? If we happened to have a glass or 2 of vino, we wont be driving and I am likely to be nominated driver. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
There are tons of French resorts which haven't been taken over by Brits - most of whom could only name half a dozen. wink

I agree. La Clusaz being one of them wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JulesBod,
Your reluctant adults could visit a snowdome in the UK before you go.
They will do taster sessions so you will have an idea if its something you'd want to do before you get out there.
They aren't very busy at this time of year and might have some special offers on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A good idea. Starting skiing - for someone keen and moderately fit - is usually huge fun. Mobility is more important than fitness but someone who hasn't even run for a bus for 20 years might struggle a bit. Loads of time between now and your holiday to explore the idea a bit!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all. We have booked our Chalet at Manigod and will be driving as the bloody planes cost 4 times as much for half term as they do for the following week. so time to find a thread that will give us an outline of what we will need Smile

Excited now Smile Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Warning - if you your kids have a day on the slopes (definitely in a lesson ) it's quite likely they won't want to be doing anything else while they're there!

Enjoy your trip.
snow conditions
I haven't spent much time in the Manigod area but there are some lovely tree lined runs over there. I seem to remember the bus being quite frequent and a practical option for getting to and from La Clusaz, our first season there we stayed out of town and used the bus regularly.
ski holidays
Been there the past two years. Lovely village with some good skiing. Manigod will be a great area for beginners with some gentle blues and nice reds. Not sure how late the buses run to Annecy.
snow conditions
WHAT????? !!!! HERESY!!!! NOT SURE IF YOU WANT TO DO MUCH SKIING???? But seriously - have a nice time, sure you will. But once you try it...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy