Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monarch Airline ceases trading.

Poster: A snowHead
Markymark29 wrote:
@midgetbiker, I think O'leery has bigger issues than he's letting on anyway, he cant afford the ones he's got.

I think you are close to the truth.

Good luck to the Monarch staff for the future. I haven't been with an airline for over ten years but for most staff it is a lot of hard work and declining returns which I guess is like a lot of other industries.

My job of playing with big expensive Mechano sets around Europe was fantastic but the corporate cultures in the airlines I worked for or had as customers was toxic for years.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That jammy, lying, little Irish fecker might pick himself up some pilots off the back of this - there is no justice in the world sometimes. I always liked flying Monarch
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This has badly affected a friend of mine and his wife, they booked Monarch flights separate from a Hotel room, which was also non-refundable. At a total of £1200, which they had paid in full.

They can't get any alternative flights to the destination they were going to on the dates the hotel was booked for either. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RichardB, where were they going?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@holidayloverxx, An area of Northern Greece, its not particularly a big tourist destination and it was for a friends wedding, who is also affected by this as they were on the same flight!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RichardB wrote:
This has badly affected a friend of mine and his wife, they booked Monarch flights separate from a Hotel room, which was also non-refundable. At a total of £1200, which they had paid in full.

They can't get any alternative flights to the destination they were going to on the dates the hotel was booked for either. Sad

Owch!

I've been thinking about the logistics of upcoming trip due the vagueries of air travel. I have a pretty expensive trip booked with flights separate from everything else. Am seriously considering booking alternative flights for a back up just in case. Can't stomach the thought of losing the whole holiday or the money paid for the sake of £200 flights.

Feel sad about Monarch, used them a lot over the years and found them a pleasant bunch.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had two flights booked on credit card for £195 total. Credit card company dispute department seems to say I will get money back. We shall see.

I read my travel insurance and am fairly sure that excludes the situation. As various news articles are suggesting is likely to be the case.

I've rebooked on easyJet for £100 more, plus I am probably going to need a long taxi ride home as the arrival time is late for train. But at least they don't appear to have bumped up the prices for what presumably must be a lot of people who will be rebooking from Monarch. Guess what, I paid the credit card supplement.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So we're booked with Ski Total next March with Monarch flights to Austria - I assume my contract is with Ski Total & they will therefore sort fresh flights, do I need to contact them or just wait & see - I can imagine everybodies phones are ringing off the wall at the moment in connection with this ................. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Russbost, Esprit have a statement on their website and they are owned by same parent company (and share flights with) ski total. Have you checked the website?

However basically says... they are sorting alternate flights
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Russbost, there is a notice on the ski total website now

https://www.skitotal.com/travel-advice/travel-advice-monarch-airlines/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midgetbiker wrote:
... But doesn't chargeback rely on the customer's bank requesting the money back from the supplier's bank? That's all well and good if the money is there (in the case of a trading business) but not if it isn't. If it isn't then surely you are just an unsecured creditor.

I take your point, but I think it works differently, although I've no direct experience of this. This from an old Guardian reference:
"... To make a claim using chargeback, customers must contact their card issuer, which then contacts the holiday company's payment processing bank to reclaim the money.
This means that even if a company goes into liquidation it is possible to reclaim money, as the claim is made against the company's bank, not the company itself. ..."

Elsewhere there's a statistic that suggests that 5% of chargebacks involve insolvency issues; it's possible that cost is sucked up by the banks, I'm not sure.

---
Note that it's actually 120 days from "when you notice the problem", not the date of the transaction. I know because I just had a successful chargeback where I relied upon that fact.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had an email from Skitotal just after I posted on here, they've said they are organising new flights & will let us know in due course, I hope there won't be any additional to pay ..............
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Russbost wrote:
Had an email from Skitotal just after I posted on here, they've said they are organising new flights & will let us know in due course, I hope there won't be any additional to pay ..............

There shouldn't be you aren't using Mark Warner! Last season Esprit had statements saying they wouldn't charge customers more who had already booked after MW did just that. I am sure the same will apply (i have had changed of flights from them in the past and no change to my flight supplement already agreed). Obviously not Ski Total but as I said they are owned by same parent company.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Barclays are advising anyone who booked with their debit card to first contact Monarch to see what the situation is, and then to open a dispute through them if they are unable to secure a refund. If you have travel insurance you are advised to go via the disputes (I assume chargeback) process first.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My poor mum and dad were treating all 11 of us to a Christmas trip to Lapland. She only paid £59 deposit each ...the Good news
The bad news she paid the £14,000 balance last Thursday ....Gutted...Lucky its ATOL protected

But it doesnt look like we will be going this year now Sad
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
Russbost wrote:

There shouldn't be you aren't using Mark Warner! Last season Esprit had statements saying they wouldn't charge customers more who had already booked after MW did just that. I am sure the same will apply (i have had changed of flights from them in the past and no change to my flight supplement already agreed). Obviously not Ski Total but as I said they are owned by same parent company.

Thanks for the info, funnily enough the only reason I even considered that there might be extra to pay was because I heard about MW on here doing just that last year - maybe the answer is don't use MW?
ski holidays
I have a number of clients on ABTA/ATOL packages, who had Monarch flights - so far, most have been reallocated, and the rest should be done by the end of this week. It was a busy few days for us, but it has been a nightmare in the TO offices.
snow report
We have today had a call from a school that has booked with a tour operator which used Monarch.

The TO says they can't get a refund from Monarch so they can't offer the kids anything else, unless they pay another £230 each for the flights.

This will go on and on.

It's really sad to hear these stories. I know personally a Monarch admin team member who has been with them for 23 years and who now has no job.

All very sad.
ski holidays
@Lisa_BrentaSki, is the TO liable for a full refund if the trip is not taken up?
snow report
I booked with Ski Total to Geneva in January using Monarch. Got a letter yesterday giving new flight details with Thomas Cook Airlines. The times are pretty much identical. Guessing TCA have picked up the routes.
snow report
I am with SkiVal and Norwegian seems to be their new supplier
snow conditions
Ski Olympic have Norwegian from Gatwick and Jet2 from Manchester.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy