Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
@Jonpim, and no copy of The Daily Mail or The Times to keep up to date on the CPD courses Toofy Grin wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@All who know their stuff about La Plagne!,

We're here at the minute and having a great time in a big and VERY mixed ability group. My mrs is only coming back after a long break and was only an improving beginner way back then. I know there are millions of blues here but can anyone recommend the ideal couple of runs she could be doing to build confidence up high in the better snow? we are in 1800 and I've never been to LP so am still trying to come to terms with how big the place is and get my bearings with getting from area to area!!

Problem has been that so many of the return runs get super busy and cut up and lumpy which freaks her out and knocks her confidence back so I'm trying to get her up high in quieter better conditions but ensure she doesnt end up lost at same time while i take the little fellas off blasting about!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And by the way - the lesser able in the group are seriously not enjoying the final home run down from Plagne Centre to 1800 ... "Carnage Canyon". Nothing like a steep, chopped up, scraped, flat light red run to finish! hahaha

I'll be investigating the bus back to 1800 for several of them!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Adamski, Do NOT let her ski back to 1800! Get the bus! Unless there has been a fall of fresh snow.
I would recommend going up the Meleze lift out of 1800 then going up the Bergerie lift turn right off Bergerie, heading toward Villages, just after the Bergerie restaurant you will see a drag lift line, follow this down (usually very quiet), once at the bottom of the drag lift, you can either get the bus down from there to 1800, OR if shes happy on drag lifts go up the drag lift (there are 2 steep-ish sections), third option would be skiing on down in the trees to Plagne Centre. Once in Plagne Centre there are more options; get the bus back to 1800, or go up the Colorado chair (turn left, as right can get busy and lumpy) and go down the wide, long blue which takes you back into Plagne Centre and from there, you can take the bus. If she feels more confident you could go off left from the top of Bergerie and then into Bellecote following the tree route (turn right opposite the restaurant), then get Colossas back over and follow the blues into Plagne Village/Soleil/Centre.
If she is still feeling fearful then 'Overcome Your Skiing Fears' by Sharon Shinwell (on Amazon) has done wonders for a friend after - - a ski related break, too late for this week though.

PS. Carnage Canyon is a brilliant description! You maybe advised that there is a side track that starts on the right just after the underpass this snakes down and avoids 75% off the Carnage Canyon BUT by now this will be as icy hard and narrow and equally horrible!

If you are staying at the other end of 1800 take the 1800 lift out then turn right and right again and than left and down to the new Envers lift (hopefully its still working! ) up Envers and then follow down keeping the Steamship and club Med on your left to a blue track which ambles down towards centre as you join the main piste turn hard left onto a track that becomes the widest piste in La Plagne by the Chouffe Restaurant (sp?) that takes you back into 1800 ending at the Melezes lift Very Happy

Of course if confidence has returned instead of getting Envers you can get the Adrets lift into the Skiing Paradise that is Montalbert sector (Dont let them on the Reds!) best piste is the winding track called Gentil half way down there is the Forperet restaurant which has spectacular views and is very popular once down by my house wink get the Montalbert Gondola back up take the blue back down to the Envers lift. (Do no take the blue on down to La Roche - it has a horrible section half way down! )
Do let us know how you get on ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boredsurfin, Thanks so much for taking the time to write that - fantastic advice!! Really appreciated. I'm going to map this all out and possibly do a reccie and blast it myself tomorrow morning whilst she is in ski school!

And yes - the entire experience of dropping down to 1800 from centre is horrific! there must be frequent serious accidents - I hate it and can only imagine what its like in genuine poor icy conditions!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Adamski, from Monty we often find ourselves on the Meleze and often are astounded at the goings on below on the 'Carnage Canyon' best 'entertainment' is a Club Med ski school - quite often up to 15 kids 'falling flailing and straight lining down to their one instructor Skullie
However, the Lovatierre piste is usually really nice and where it joins Jean Marie its wider than a wide thing, a great plac eto practice wide carving turns Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From bergerie Def turn right at the restaurant, straight on was a chopped up mogul mess. We can see it from our chalet and it was moguls by 11 today. The natural half pipe or the run further over are far nicer
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@grahamt1980, i went down the main piste around 9:30 this morning but you’re right that it gets chopped up very quickly.

one of the things about the Blues in LP is that some of the steepest sections are those running back into the villages. eg the bottom of Ecartee (Bergerie) and the bottleneck past Belle Plagne at the end of the Arpette runs
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Adamski, If Mrs A is up to getting over to Bellecote the runs back down from the Arpette chair should be ok. If you want to avoid the bottleneck mentioned above you could take the track top side of BP, along the track through the village and rejoin the main pistes on the other side of BP before dropping back down into Bellecote
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
......my go to run for getting confidence back is the Ecartee ( Bergerie)

it can be a bit icy/scraped at the bottom but nothing like conditions on the run in down to 1800
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ukredsox, and half way along you can stop at the excellent Le chairlift restaurant Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i’ll be staying a bit more local tomorrow, so will probably try Le Chairlift for lunch
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apologies, i got confused between lifts and pistes, the natural half pipe is off colloses and the trieuse piste.
Hopefully heading that way tomorrow
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another couple of useful easy blues around Bellecote if you end up over that way (as best as I can describe them):

- as you start coming down the Arpette piste, bear left and follow the Laines piste. When you reach what seems like the end, you can traverse straight over and across the tunnel before turning back on yourself, cutting out the "steep" bits.

- from the magic carpet just outside of Belle Plagne, go up the carpet, turn right at the top, then ski over and across the Col de Forcle drag where you'll then find yourself in a rather shallow "half pipe" that's a lot easier than the two slightly steeper sections on the main piste.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, just getting off adrets now on fast scope out of your route down to Monty now Very Happy

Thanks again!
snow report
My kids (8 and 5) loved the natural half pipe. It was always their run of choice.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
@ukredsox, and half way along you can stop at the excellent Le chairlift restaurant Very Happy

the Caesar Salad i had there today was huge

snow report
Another good day for me. I did the top part of Levassets (RdM to Carella chair) for the first time.

i then went on up to the glacier to take some pics. Walked on up the hill a bit in order for Yuge to credit me with 3000m altitude
snow conditions
We’re hearing differing rumours on whether it’s going to snow on weds ... anyone got the inside on that??
ski holidays
Forecast to snow Wednesday night into Thursday morning
snow conditions
@Adamski, Yes > http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210

@ukredsox, mmm!
snow report
Quote:

I did the top part of Levassets (RdM to Carella chair) for the first time.

I hope you didn't have to pole too much at the end! Was the little tow rope lift working?
snow report
The tow rope is buried in snow

However, i didn’t need to use it.

i’ve stayed around PC, PV, & PS today. Great quality snow on the runs off Colorado
snow report
The Glacier webcam captured me walking up piste to reach 3000m

latest report
Fabulous day - blue skies, perfect temperature and wonderful conditions. Have stayed in Belle Plagne many times but today was the best! No Q for the Glacier, Chiaupe a bit lumpy but Derochoir best we’ve had it - also Rochette, Mercedes. Etroits just fabulous! Got across to Les Arcs yesterday and did Aiguille Rouge top to bottom - again great conditions. 4 great days so far and snow coming in tonight and tomorrow. Will be a lot colder - just hope everything opens and visibility is OK.
The base is so good should still be great for the half term weeks.
snow conditions
Arrived in Plagne Village on Sunday.

I have to say I’ve never skied in better weather. Bluebird every day and warm.

It’s been amazing so far. Yes some runs are now a bit icy and a fresh covering of snow would be welcome. Which is apparently what we are getting tonight and Thursday is what I’ve been told.

Pistes have been busy but not crowded. Had to get home via Colossus this evening though. That was a 25 min queue. However, that aside the longest wait I’ve had is 5 mins.

I’ll get some better snaps up when home!

By the way. Amazing chalet and team at Ice and Fire. Couldn’t be happier.

snow conditions
@Fridge03, *waves from across the little valley in Plagne Soleil*
snow report
@ukredsox, we can probably see you. We are in a chalet right on the piste. Just up from the bridge.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good conditions off piste around La Plagne the last couple of days:

Great spring snow:

And some cold chalkiness:

latest report
offpisteskiing, please say where the pics are.
ski holidays
The last 3 or look like the face nord - petit face nord and bottom of the canadien but maybe be totally wrong!?
snow report
Powder day.
The lifts back to belle plagne from arpette side were freezing though.
Fantastic conditions with a few bumps
ski holidays
Rubbish vis today so headed down to Montlebert. Lovely runs all the way down and fresh powder.
A lot of up top was closed.
Headed up and over towards Montchavin but turned back as legs were knackered.

Pistes were much quieter today and the snow gave them a much needed refresher.
latest report
@Jonpim, Mt Jovet down to Bozel, then Canadiens and one of the left hand exits which are really well filled in currently...
latest report
Thought today was pretty amazing. Yes poor viz here and there but overall an enormous ski area to explore with relatively low number of people out. Was great opportunity for me with pretty limited powder/off piste experience to get stuck in.

Hopefully more of same tomorrow - just got to find the right places to get easy fresh tracks in!!

Will always remember how lucky we have been with weather this week!!!
snow report
Thank you offpisteskiing, lovely pics.
Have heard of the Mt Jovet run, but don't know anything about it - except do know where Bozel is.
Looks lot less scary than North Face.
ski holidays
Another amazing day. Colder but sunny with some cloud here and there.
Really quiet pistes. Covered 60k today between lessons and afternoon exploring.

Last day in resort tomorrow so hoping for even quieter pistes as it’s transfer day.
Plan to get over to Les Arcs.

@Adamski, I’m with you. The weather this week has been utterly stunning. Even yesterday with the low vis, was made up for by the powder.
latest report
@Fridge03,

i went over Les Arcs side today but only as far as the top of the Derby lift.

Excellent conditions on the Renard Blue but icy on the Red just above the VE.

Back on topic, at the top of the Colossus lift this afternoon, i turned left for the first time and did Arolles back down to PB. Never again, too much uphill and also two short, steep, narrow sections that were scraped and had people lead all over the place.
ski holidays
Those 2 steep sections on arolla are mogully, but take the natural half pipe in the middle and it's awesome
snow report
We are heading over to Arcs tomorrow. Hopefully it’ll be nice and quiet as it’s transfer day.

We did the Allais this afternoon down to the bottom of the Roche lift to kill some time. It was very icy. But on the whole, the pistes have been awesome.

We also did the slalom run down from Becoin which was hardly skied and utterly joyous.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy