Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
@Jonpim,
Hi John, (presume this is you?) sorry to hear you are under the weather - bumped into your familly today at La Roche.
As you say amazing amounts of snow - hope you manage to get out before the end of the week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can anyone confirm if the forecast rain came overnight lower down? Looks to have just been snow up in Belle Plagne - are the pistes through the trees going to be messy today?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still snowing hard here in 1800, tho could turn to rain later.

Yesterday evening was interesting. I had snowed all day, but getting rather wet as the temperature rose.
We met up with son and girlfriend for meal in Bellecote - they had come down from Belle Plagne by bubble, we had gone up on the bus.
After lovely meal and jolly chat, we parted around 9pm.
As we walked towards bus top, message from son saying Bubble not running! At 9pm?!?
Then we saw not many tracks going past bus-stop, and gendarmerie van at junction with main road.
What was going on? Avalanches. Avalanches was what was going on.
The road up to Belle Plagne and down to 1800 was closed (hence the Bubble operators had been sent home early).
Only way up to Belle Plagne was to walk, we were told.
But there was a couple of buses about to go down after snow plough had cleared the road.
So, we got on the bus with a few other stragglers.
Meantime son managed to bum a lift with chap who worked in Belle Plagne pizza place (he's just lucky that way).
All the way down we could see multiple mini avalanches across the road.
Glad to get home.

Now today we've got to get son and girlfriend to Lyon Airport - could be interesting . . . .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bon Courage!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowing heavily here at the top of Plagne Village, but locals say probably raining later Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Update.
Complete chaos on roads. Unable to get up to Plagne Centre or Bellecote.
Son and girlfriend trying to get down skiing with bags.
Belle Plagne bubble to Bellecote running, but nothing else yet: all "Provision".
But does demonstrate advantage of lower villages in weather like this: all lifts running in Montalbert section, and most running in Montchavin/Les Coches.
Here nothing.
Still snowing. And occasional power cuts.
Such fun Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chaletgirl Thanks for the pics. I've never seen so much snow in PC

jonpim Hopefully things will have settled down by the time I arrive on Sunday
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonpim, Indeed its lovely down here in Montalbert, all 3 lifts running, snow alternating with sleet, and cloud coming up and over from the valley. High winds and warmer temps forecast as the day goes on...
We would go down to Aime shopping but I doubt the useless BMW would get down the 100yds to the main road and up again later!
Blue sky day tomorrow, we'll be up early snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SiL and family staying in Belle Plagne at the mo. This from her FB page this morning...

"Soooo snowy! Couldn’t get back to apartment last night after popping to the shops in plagne centre, due to avalanches. Only been down mountain half an hour!Had to book into another hotel for the night but got back up the mountain this morning mostly on seasonnairs bus being led by snowplough and walking the first and last part. Feeling a bit Edmund Hillary today!"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Son+gf managed to ski down to 1800. Son skied looking like sherpa, with backpack and 2 large bags hanging to either side. Now raining. So early lunch and then drive off to Lyon airport. They won't forget this ski trip in a hurry.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonpim, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heading to Plagne Village on Sunday. Any signs of improvement in the weather? I know it can change very quickly in the mountains and I love snow to bits but I'm just hoping we can even get up there!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back from Geneva. Was supposed to pick up two in Plagne Centre and two in Belle Plagne at 6am and 6.15am this morning. Luckily, I'm based in Plagne Centre, so picked those two up fine. Couldn't get to BP so had to go on with just the two. The TO asked my driver to wait at the roundabout for the road to open and the TO Rep and my driver got through to BP. BUT - turns out they were only supposed to let emergency people through but 'someone' let others in as well, like the Rep and my driver!!! Sooooo, driver is now messaging me to say he's bored cos he's stuck in BP and might be there overnight (possibly, not sure yet). At least he's in a chalet. Cos if he can't get out then the 7 people due to go in will be staying at the hotel in Centre that I just dropped them at!!!

Its mental. It's way too warm and so was spitting rain not snow as we arrived. Ridiculous amounts of water on the road coming up. Really nasty tomorrow if it freezes overnight. Although I've been told it won't?

At least with the huge amount of snow we've had, it won't all melt for a day of warm weather!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fridge03 wrote:
Heading to Plagne Village on Sunday. Any signs of improvement in the weather? I know it can change very quickly in the mountains and I love snow to bits but I'm just hoping we can even get up there!

Driving or transfer? In theory it could be sunny on Sunday but more snow at the end of the week. If you have good winter tyres and/or chains, you'll get to the resort. If you're in a transfer, they should have the relevant kit and you'll be fine!

I don't think there are any concerns about snow/avalanches on any of the other access roads at the moment. And to be fair, its the first time in six seasons I've known the Bellecote road be shut (ok, its been shut a few times!) but then I've not seen so much snow ever, and its all arrived in quite a short space of time Shock
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're due to leave Belle Plagne at lunch time tomorrow (Tues) - hopefully they will have the road sorted by then!!!
ski holidays
chopkins13 wrote:
We're due to leave Belle Plagne at lunch time tomorrow (Tues) - hopefully they will have the road sorted by then!!!

I do really hope so!!! My driver is very unimpressed at the moment!! So close to home but no skis/boots to be able to ski home! LOL
ski holidays
Things must have improved - after a leisurely lunch plat du jour in the l'Arbrevoir during which the snow plough came past and re arranged the slush and ice on the road we thought we would give the useless BMW one more chance. So we dug it out and having turned the traction control off it happily reversed down the road, so we went down to Aime for some shopping and then came back up just on the snow tyres and with a bit of speed drove up and into the space again snowHead
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Things must have improved - after a leisurely lunch plat du jour in the l'Arbrevoir during which the snow plough came past and re arranged the slush and ice on the road we thought we would give the useless BMW one more chance. So we dug it out and having turned the traction control off it happily reversed down the road, so we went down to Aime for some shopping and then came back up just on the snow tyres and with a bit of speed drove up and into the space again snowHead

Does traction control work on snow? I drove a T6 VW last year and VW decided that in the T6 you can't turn off the TC - made it a total nightmare to drive up here Sad It must work on some cars??
snow conditions
@chaletgirl, The useless BMW seemed to be slightly less useless on the slush and ice with it switched off....
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
@chaletgirl, The useless BMW seemed to be slightly less useless on the slush and ice with it switched off....

LOL I'll make sure whatever I get in the future has the option to turn it off!! LOL Very Happy
snow report
chaletgirl wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

Driving or transfer? In theory it could be sunny on Sunday but more snow at the end of the week. If you have good winter tyres and/or chains, you'll get to the resort. If you're in a transfer, they should have the relevant kit and you'll be fine!

I don't think there are any concerns about snow/avalanches on any of the other access roads at the moment. And to be fair, its the first time in six seasons I've known the Bellecote road be shut (ok, its been shut a few times!) but then I've not seen so much snow ever, and its all arrived in quite a short space of time Shock

We are with a transfer company so fingers crossed all will be fine.

Wasn't it more the high winds/avalanche risk across the roads/vast amounts of water which have been causing issues across the alps the past few weeks?

Anyway, we are very excited! Never done La Plagne before and with the huge snow all over the place, all I want is a few sunny days next week!
snow conditions
Fridge03 wrote:

We are with a transfer company so fingers crossed all will be fine.

Wasn't it more the high winds/avalanche risk across the roads/vast amounts of water which have been causing issues across the alps the past few weeks?

Anyway, we are very excited! Never done La Plagne before and with the huge snow all over the place, all I want is a few sunny days next week!

You should be fine. Up here its volume of snow and avalanches/risk of avalanches on the roads. Just driven up to Belle Plagne (Road opened at 9pm) and the conditions were pretty tough. The snowplough has now made it accessible both ways, but there is a massive amount of snow up there!!
ski holidays
Just returned from pleasant meal in Plagne Centre, but the bus service up the hill has stopped. Walked off the meal with a 45 min trek back to the top of Plagne Village. Still snowing!!
ski holidays
Hey fairly new on here but due to arrive in les coches on Sunday, just wondering if anyone knows as a rough guide how long it takes to get into plagne centre from there, foolishly booked a morning lesson out there and have to live with the journey now.
Thanks in advance
ski holidays
About 35 mins by car..... about the same by piste! Depending on ability, type of car, snow conditions etc, etc
snow report
Perfect not quite as bad as initially thought, thanks for the info, I may be able to save face after all haha
ski holidays
tommyk109, 35 mins might be on the optimistic side. It might be ok if you know the route and which lifts to take, and you are whizzy skier. But its minimum of 4 lifts and a fair amount of skiing. I would suggest a good hour. Maybe bit more.
And an hour for driving too .
snow report
Any updates on the state of the road out of Belle Plagne folks?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chopkins13, The roads all looked lovely - this afternoon. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Lovely sunny day. Even managed a little ski.
Piste conditions above 2000m superb - below rather hard and icy.
Off-piste above 2000m also superb - below rather turgid and crusty, as i found out to my cost (can't deal with that stuff).

The Ange moving carpet at Arpette is engulfed in snow for most of its length - we skied right over it! Not running.

Lots of people out today - lots of maniacs.
latest report
May be a few days before the Glacier opens...

snow report
These guys were helicoptered up from Bellecote
Photo credit: Association Des Pisteurs Secouristes De LaPlagne Facebook
snow conditions
Gratuitous beer snow and blue sky photo snowHead
ski holidays
As @Jonpim, says lots of maniacs out and as the day progressed more sectors/lifts were opened. The piste below 1800 has suffered from the rain and is hard packed and icy, the pistes around La Roche/Montalbert are noticeably awful!
Blue piste warriors please note that there are mogul fields on some blues in La Plagne at the moment !

If anyone knows the 'Gentleman' in the the Champagny sector aged around 70 wearing a red jacket and snowboarding please advise him that calling my group retards as we got onto the Rossa lift is quite rude as is trying to clip the back of my wifes ski's as you exited the lift!
ski holidays
boredsurfin, seems there was a Tossa on Rossa! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Jonpim, yep Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
ESF?
snow report
@Apoth, Nope some old British punter who thought his age and board allowed him to push to the front of a queue...
ski holidays
Roads are seriously icy tonight. Access to Belle Plagne this morning at 6am was fine but interesting! Still a lot of snow then. I've been out of resort all day, but from the roads I'm guessing it was a lovely day with lots of melted snow on the roads which is now a shiny and icy!!!! Doable, but with care Very Happy
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
As @Jonpim, says lots of maniacs out and as the day progressed more sectors/lifts were opened. The piste below 1800 has suffered from the rain and is hard packed and icy, the pistes around La Roche/Montalbert are noticeably awful!
Blue piste warriors please note that there are mogul fields on some blues in La Plagne at the moment !

Shame that pistes aren't great lower down. I was hoping to finally make it to Montalbert next week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy