Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
skichampcouk wrote:
@eblunt, Can you not just sidestep up to Ours (top of the Col de Forcle draglift) from the end of la Petite Rochette (where it splits to the Geisha piste).

Dumping down with snow in Champagny for the last 3 hours so should be plenty around higher up tomorrow.

Yes, you can, but it's a bit of a ball ache, it's a fairly steep rise.

Update, I think I found where the old piste went ... if you follow leitchoums along the track, at the point where it goes round to the right, go straight on up the small rise ( need a bit of speed ) cross the other blue ( Blanchets ) and you've got a fairly short off piste bit under the drag to get onto the belle plagne pistes. It's the best solution I've found yet
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
80cm of new snow reported at altitude last night, 50cm at 2000m snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My son sent me this earlier. No idea which chair, but he's based in Plagne Villages.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@honved, Golf ?

Yes we had half a metre in BP, it was lovely out today lots of powder to be had.

A lot still shut for avalanche clearing though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were trapped in les coches this morning but eventually made it over to les arc for a while. We came back at went over to Bell Plagne in the sunshine and the lovely snow up there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eblunt (and honved) i think that lift is actually La Roche.
Golf does end up at a similar place, but is over a wide piste all the way.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonpim, Yep, La Roche, just after the wolf in his cave Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh yes, the wolf in his cave - i wonder how many people here have no idea what you are on about boredsurfin.
Easy to miss if you don't know its there.

Meantime they have opened up Roche de Mio for the first time in days.
But no going any further.
If you looks at the Glacier webcam you can see why: no way out of the lift station, and then the chairlift and cafe look totally snowed in.
Think it might take a day or two to sort out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's the ice climbing European cup at the ice climbing tower in Champagny le Haut tomorrow, qualification between 08:00 and 15:30, finals between 18:30 and 20:30, presentations at 21:00.
Basic details here - https://www.laplagnet.com/events/calendar/ice-climbing-world-cup-la-plagne
More detailed information and timetable here - http://www.theuiaa.org/documents/iceclimbing/Champagny_2018_UIAAEuropeanCup_v2-WEB.pdf

It is definitely worth a trip up to watch it if you are in the local area.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skichampcouk, Can you get there on skis ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eblunt, you can, but not sensible just now - its an off-piste run down from Roche de Mio.

I think there's a bus up from Champagny.
skichampcouk will know.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eblunt, Yes, as @Jonpim, states. From Roche de Mio, head towards the "Brown Trouser" ridge, the large bowl on your left is called Vélières. and it leads down to Champagny-en-Haut. The easy skiing terminates abruptly in cliffs just above Champagny and depending on the conditions you either ski or /walk down the narrow summer footpath for about a mile to climbing tower. Generally I book a taxi for the return to Champagny.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@eblunt, The best option would be to ski into Champagny centre or take the gondola down and then catch the shuttle bus - http://www.champagny.com/images/headers/Guidestation/brochures_et_plans/D%C3%A9pliant_navette_H17-18.web.pdf

There are lockers at both the top and bottom of the gondola where you can securely store your skis if you want, I think it's just a couple of euros.

I understand the shuttle bus doesn't take off piste skiers who end up in Champagny le haut.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I drove up there in the summer - Im quite use to mountain road driving, but that is one memorable narrow road!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spent time over in La Plagne again today and it was great snow, few queues and even the vis was OK. The moving floor is now working which was nice and the ski back to the Vanoise Express through the forest was powder most of the way. Excellent conditions everywhere in the paradiski area right now. Loads of snow! Photos from today and more details here: https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
snow report
The wolf is buried at the moment !, hopefully someone will stop and help.
latest report
@boredsurfin, It helps if you close your eyes and pray on the narrow bit near the top, especially if you are in a camper van or have a caravan on tow.
The ice tower is close to the entrance of the campsite at le Canada, it is a lot less stressful if you take the bus.
snow conditions
skichampcouk wrote:
It's the ice climbing European cup at the ice climbing tower in Champagny le Haut tomorrow, qualification between 08:00 and 15:30, finals between 18:30 and 20:30, presentations at 21:00.
Basic details here - https://www.laplagnet.com/events/calendar/ice-climbing-world-cup-la-plagne
More detailed information and timetable here - http://www.theuiaa.org/documents/iceclimbing/Champagny_2018_UIAAEuropeanCup_v2-WEB.pdf

It is definitely worth a trip up to watch it if you are in the local area.

Is that something to do with this ?

http://app1.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-champagny/tour-de-glace

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 11-01-18 15:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Snowchains, need some for hire car, best place to buy in Bourg ? ....thanks
snow conditions
@thunderer, in the past Chambery has been best as there is a Feu Vert (like Halfords) and a big hyper market Carrefour both sell lotsvof chains and socks, leave it until Bourg and the choice gets limited. If none your size in Chambery, you can try again in Albertville etc...
I got socks for my hire car at Xmas in Carrefour for £40.00, which performed very well.
latest report
@boredsurfin, thanks for that, already in Montalbert so will try Bourg.
snow report
@thunderer, Super U sell some but the range may be limited and there may well be somewhere better.
ski holidays
Pistes are 8.5/10 I would say. Good racing conditions

Coverage obv good but quite icy in places

Lovely lunch in the odd glass cube above monty was very nice
ski holidays
red 27, you found the 360 produced a "Lovely lunch" Shocked
Amazing.
But maybe they have got their act together at last.
Our two visits when it opened showed the place to be a waste of space: it was cold, overpriced ghastly coffee, hot chocky machine broken, staff running around like headless chickens.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, I had a delicious rotisserie chicken with legumes for 11€

I'm pretty easy to please Little Angel

I didn't try the coffee and didn't need the staff and it was toasty warm helped by solar gain from the scorching January sun
snow report
Well, looks like we might go for "3rd Time ( hopefully) Lucky"
Should be there this time next Friday . . . Very Happy
snow report
Shocked

Good news for those of us heading out later in the month but maybe not so good for those of you already in LP
ski holidays
😀⛷❄️❄️❄️❄️
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arriving on 27th Jan, staying in 1800, first time in la plagne, cant wait!
snow conditions
This popped up on my Facebook this morning....
Hard to tell, but I don't think there is enough snow.....

ski holidays
How on earth do they even start to dig that out?! Especially with another metre of snow due this next week!!!!
ski holidays
chopkins13, they are working on it.
Yesterday morning you couldn't get out of the Gondola top station as there was snow piled up to the top of the door.
By afternoon a couple of bulldozers/piste bashers had sorted that out.
I think the little cafe is now enterable.
Skiers are now able to get up there (see webcam).
They'll get round to the Traversee lift soon enough - actually wouldn't mind if they waited until next Saturday when i get up there: should be awesome snowHead
snow report
I'll be staying in Plagne Centre in early March and am keen to have a good go at some black runs so I can tell my mates at home how cool I am. What are the best to try to tackle first?

Any recommendations for some nice tree-lined runs too? I like quiet - but I imagine that's a challenge in a popular area like la Plagne.
snow report
We were up there today. Rather than double post. Take a look at the post on the Les Arcs season thread for the full details of our day. It was Epic. Photos can be found at Les Arcs Winter facebook page in the January 2018 album. Just scroll down towards the end to find the latest photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?ref=page_internal

I asked the pisteurs today and they said as another storm is due they will not start digging the two chair lifts on the glacier out for maybe another week. I hope it is sooner. We walked up three times today and it hurts my knees!

The cafe up top was open and they were still digging out where the terrace is today.

The snow was amazing. Going back again tomorrow! Very Happy Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
@Alastair, Thankyou got some from Super U.
snow report
@milzibkit, there's a very short black run in the forest above Montchavin called Peles.

I'm a somewhat nervous skier who likes blues with the odd red in good condition. I did Peles in good snow without any problem, if you're looking for a 'black badge' I'm not aware of an easier one in La Plagne!
latest report
Thanks. I should be Ok with a few blacks, just want to pick a good one to start with!
snow report
If anyone is about this week and fancies a punt for a bit, let me know.
snow report
First day of my week in La Plagne, last and only other time was a few years ago.

Staying in 1800 and with the forecast decided to head high today to make the most of it.

Up Grande Rochette and into Champagny to start with, lovely snow as the sun came out. Did a few circuits round th Rosa lift before taking Les Bois down to Champagny itself. Can’t say I would fancy that run when there isn’t much snow, worst run of the day with quite a bit of ice and some stones floating about the piste. Light went a bit flat for an hour or two as well, which didn’t help.

Then via Guillis headed down to Belle Plagne to head up Roche Di Mio and Bellecôte. As alluded to earlier by others, Glacier and Traverse lift stations are still under a lot of snow. Out of principal to avoid using the lift to get down we came down the black Chlaupe, which is now quite bumpy. Hard work, but a lot of fun. The sun had come back out and was shining bright which made life a lot easier.

After a quick snack at the top of Roche De Mio, it was back down Tunnel and head back to Center where we did a few circuits of various blues around there and 1800 to have a nice simple end to the day.

Really good day, pistes are in really good nick. But with a few icy spots in places. Huge amounts of snow that they can use if needed. But with the storm coming, can’t see that being an issue. After getting on 20ish lifts, the two of us only shared a lift once (Colosses, at 3:30 as everyone was heading back). It is dead quiet!
snow report
Gassy222, looks like you had a good day snowHead
And a good choice of runs - i always find Chaupe hard work, and that run down to Champagny is rather a gamble.
If you get back up to Roche de Mio and want a snack, i would recommend the Inversens further down rather than the place at the top.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy