Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI everyone
i just started ski racing but i've been skiing for quite a while.
i've been wondering if it's really necessary to wax and/or tune skis myself ( and those of my family = 8 pairs)
and if yes i was wondering where do you wax your skis? In the appartment? On the balcony? Outside?
Do you think this kit http://www.racewax.com/racewax-race-speed-ski-snowboard-tuning-kit-racing-wax-3-brush-kit-cork-fluoro/ is enough?
For the iron is any iron ok or should i buy a specific wax iron?
Thank you so much for answering
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't need to tune your skis, you will go faster if you do though.

I just put some newspaper down on the floor in the apartment when waxing skis, I edge and scrape them outside or on the balcony. It can be too cold to wax outside.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unless you're in the US, you could do better buying locally e.g. spyderjon's kits.
http://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/tuning-equipment-kits.html

Iron - specific wax iron definitely!

I do my skis in my apartment, with lots of newspaper on the floor. Outside would be fine on a nice day.

Is it necessary to do it yourself - not really, but in the long run it'll cost less, give you better performance, and make your skis last longer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowheads @yannick_cos i always do them at home in the garage. I don't race so i can't attest to if it makes a difference but I waxed my skis at the weekend and could really feel the difference in the snow dome. With 8 pairs buying a kit will pay for itself when compared to one set of services at a shop.

I bought my tuning set from the piste office (the set with an iron) plus a vice but then I'm one for toys.

Happy shopping
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You'll be able to tune your skis to your exact needs, once you get a feel for it you'll know exactly what to do to your skis and when. Using a shop service just gets you standard 'off the rail' service, even if you pay top whack, they still service to a standard that might not be where you need precision

I tune my edges to quite the angle, before when i handed them over for a shop service and I specifically asked for a certain degree on the edge they frowned at me and i got the regular.

I just wrap my clothes iron in kitchen foil and turn of the steam. but you do have to be careful of the edges - don't press too hard, just let the heat do the work and no rubbing the wax in, the edges do not like tin foil friction.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have always used normal iron, ideally one with no steam holes on the bottom (not so easy to find such anymore), also travel irons are great (again rare without steam holes). The real wax irons probably keep a more even temperature, so for really advanced waxing technique that may provide better performance, but for regular waxing I think normal or travel iron is fine..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy