Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free your ride!

Tk maxx heads up.

Poster: A snowHead
Just a wee heads up , I was in tk Maxx in Dundee today and they had several pairs of Spyder dare salopettes on sale for £54.99 .
I know they are somewhat traditional, but they are well made and a decent brand. Rather early in the season for tk maxx to have ski gear in, but hey, a bargain is s bargain.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Roguevfr, I always used to go in October half-term week to find stuff for my kids.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Spyder dare salopettes

Spyder and Dare2B have merged. Figures...

Coming soon: ArcTrespass?
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyder YUK!!!!!

Biggest pile of over priced sh1te on the market (apart from Bogner that is). Unless you buy the top of the range, then you really need to get others like Kjus if you want a label.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GlasgowCyclops, Now now bobbles, some of its ok. I had Spyder gear remember, I wore it with that Ruroc helmet so no one knew who I was - that said I got rid or all of it after a 2 week holiday as it was WAAAYYYYY too warm (or perhaps I was just unfit)

Your right though it is overpriced, but not too bad if you can get it REALLY cheap in the sales Happy

Only spider kit I get now is for the little one as in fairness its super warm and hard wearing, and you can get it at circa 65% off!
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Now now bobbles, some of its ok. I had Spyder gear remember, I wore it with that Ruroc helmet so no one knew who I was - that said I got rid or all of it after a 2 week holiday as it was WAAAYYYYY too warm (or perhaps I was just unfit)

Your right though it is overpriced, but not too bad if you can get it REALLY cheap in the sales Happy

Only spider kit I get now is for the little one as in fairness its super warm and hard wearing, and you can get it at circa 65% off!

No.... you mis understood... you bought the top of the ange gear. And it matched your helmet. They might have not known you but all the people on that trip cold identify you by your helmet Happy
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PaulC1984 wrote:

And top of the range in the sales is perfect. Same as I don't by Norrona Lofoten at £400 and only in the sales.
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

No.... you mis understood... you bought the top of the ange gear. And it matched your helmet. They might have not known you but all the people on that trip cold identify you by your helmet Happy

SSSHHHHHHH DONT TELL THE WIFE

What happens on a bash......... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was some Spyder kit in our local TKMaxx last winter. I'm positive that it had been made specially for them,and was of a quite inferior quality.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
There was some Spyder kit in our local TKMaxx last winter. I'm positive that it had been made specially for them,and was of a quite inferior quality.

This is my main gripe with outlets. You should always ask if it is "made for Outlet", especially at big venues like Bicester Village (sp) and Macarthur Glenn.

This is worth a read.
http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-dispatches-unwraps-concerns-about-pricing-and-labelling-at-tk-maxx
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GlasgowCyclops, you'll struggle to find any ski wear at Bicester Village now though!
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always wonder how Sport Pursuit can offer the stuff they do. I know it's last season mainly, but some very big savings on Arc etc.
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GlasgowCyclops, hubby brought a jacket home. I took it back Toofy Grin . TBH it didn't fit, which was the other clue, as it was the same size as his jacket he had a few years ago, which does. It would have done him for walking the dogs I suppose. Missing loads of features you'd expect, such as ski pass pocket, headphone channels, etc etc.
@endoman, everything I've had from there has been genuine stuff. Icebreaker, North Face, and Smith helmets.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
Quote:

Spyder dare salopettes

Spyder is the brand.

Dare is the model.
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@endoman, the Arcteryx stuff on Sportpursuit is generally samples made for retailers pre-season and so as they state it may be slightly different from the final retail lines. I have one top labelled as a sample which seems identical to other pieces I have and another jacket from them which wasn't labelled as a sample but still discounted though. It was a previous season I think.

Last time I was there, there was no skiwear at Bicester Village. Someone I met skiing got a good deal on TNF skiwear there but the TNF shop has closed. You might get some Moncler ski stuff if you fancy it...
ski holidays     
Roguevfr wrote:
red 27 wrote:
Quote:

Spyder dare salopettes

Spyder is the brand.

Dare is the model.

Are you sure?
snow report     
@Tom Doc, hes right.

I used to have a pair.

Good pants
snow conditions     
I only mentioned Bicester Village as an example of an outlet. Not implying that you can get ski gear there.
snow report     
PaulC1984 wrote:
@Tom Doc, hes right.

I used to have a pair.

Good pants

You said they were too warm..... Or is that NOT! what you meant by hot-pants? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report     
I have several Arcteryx items from sport pursuit, all excellent and no problems. Yep they were advertised as samples, but I can't see any difference. In fact I sometimes think I'm single handedly keeping Sport Pursuit going! If you know what size fits you then you can be sure something will turn up that you absolutely need on a weekly basis Happy
snow conditions     
@endoman, I'm with you on Arcteryx and Sport Pursuit, luckily I'm a medium in Arcteryx and that is what most of the stuff for sale is Very Happy

I've bought more general clothing rather than ski stuff, and its all marked as samples, but I can't tell the difference. Although they state your items will shipped after the sale/offer ends, my last purchase turned up in 2 days.
snow report     
Tom Doc wrote:
Roguevfr wrote:
red 27 wrote:
Quote:

Spyder dare salopettes

Spyder is the brand.

Dare is the model.

Are you sure?

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/ski-pants/spyder-dare-athletic-fit
snow conditions     
Roguevfr wrote:
Tom Doc wrote:
Roguevfr wrote:
red 27 wrote:
Quote:

Spyder dare salopettes

Spyder is the brand.

Dare is the model.

Are you sure?

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/ski-pants/spyder-dare-athletic-fit

Sorry - I was joking, as was RED 27 further up the thread. Embarassed
ski holidays     
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
I only mentioned Bicester Village as an example of an outlet. Not implying that you can get ski gear there.

You used to be able to, there were a few shops, not just TNF. It's all gone a bit upmarket now mainly catering for international shoppers on day trips from London all claiming the VAT back. I reckon it's probably one outlet place where most of the stuff is original and not specially made.
snow report     
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Spyder YUK!!!!!

Biggest pile of over priced sh1te on the market (apart from Bogner that is). Unless you buy the top of the range, then you really need to get others like Kjus if you want a label.

Shocked

My spyder socks are well nice.
snow conditions     
Hells Bells wrote:

So your comment here and Bob's channel 4 post got me wondering.

I have 4 TKMAXX stores near me, so had a pop around them today. All had exactly the same jackets in, mainly in medium.

Took down any codes/model numbers I could find, Googled, nothing came up. Also Googled to death to see if they were previous years models, nothing. Finally sizing wise, they don't even compare to the Spyder jacket sizing that I had a few years ago, so either they've changed their cut or my scales are lying to me and I've put on 3 stone!

Finally quality just isn't what I've seen in the past from Spyder.

All rather odd, and why so many Jackets all in the same size - I'm not talking 1 or 2 - over the 4 stores the 2 jackets I counted had 18 in one colour and 22 in the other in medium - the most popular size, which I'd the quickest to go in end of season sales.

Very odd indeed
snow report     
PaulC1984 wrote:

I have 4 TKMAXX stores near me, so had a pop around them today. All had exactly the same jackets in, mainly in medium.

Took down any codes/model numbers I could find, Googled, nothing came up. Also Googled to death to see if they were previous years models, nothing. Finally sizing wise, they don't even compare to the Spyder jacket sizing that I had a few years ago, so either they've changed their cut or my scales are lying to me and I've put on 3 stone!

You have far too much time on your hands!
latest report     
@hammerite, shop with wife over the road or pop away and look at ski gear....... yup that was a hard choice Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm definitely a bit of a sceptic about discount stuff... I do live in Liverpool which is just a cove of discounted shops. Scousers love a bargain, a number of discounted store chains started here. The Cheshire Oaks discount place is just enormous, it makes Bicester Village look like a playground.

My experiences of these places is:
- Definitely lots of stuff 'produced for outlet'... no ability to find it for sale on the high street.
- Price discounts very misleading... google the product and you can get it on Amazon for less without a special offer
- However... I think the genuine last-season and overrun stock does end up in them too. The secret is to rifle through what's there and fish out the actual bargains, and leave the mass-sold outlet stuff where it is. I got my Oakley Airbrake goggles (which are a great ski product) for about £100 with 2 lenses in the Snow+Rock outlet.

I'm generally a believer that you get what you pay for. To get a proper bargain, you have to actually go and find it - nobody's going to put 100 of them right under your nose just for the good times. I think frankly when you walk into an outlet shop and there's railings full of identical products in all sizes... the price on the label is the only price the manufacturer ever envisaged you paying for it. There are certainly real bargains out there, but you have to put the work in. If you pay more for something, from a sensible retailer - there's usually a reason why.
ski holidays     
@dp, yup, agree with that. The other things that end up in the outlets are seconds, but these can be fine and a good bargain as long as the defect isn't affecting the use. Often it is purely cosmetic - I have seconds Le Creuset pans from an outlet store which I couldn't even see the defect on, and loads of Wedgwood crockery which looks fine until you stack it and see the shape variation. All was significantly discounted, but as you said, you have to dig through the pile for the best stuff.
latest report     
dp wrote:
The Cheshire Oaks discount place is just enormous, it makes Bicester Village look like a playground.

With you here.

Live in the TNF store there Happy

Grabbed an absolute bargain, 550 down gortex long parka coat, (was last years - checked barcode and model online etc whilst in store) in the kids section - labbled as a kids large for £60, was just misticketed (is that a word!) and was actually a blokes medium and should have been £550 - ive never handed over £60 so happily in my life. Toofy Grin
ski holidays     
@PaulC1984, North Face parkas... are they for people who can't decide if they want to look like a chav or a middle class tourist?

I had some really nice Hyvent waterproof trousers (actually long enough for ME, and with full length side zips) for £60 in there, also more than happy to hand over £60... and in the Jack Wolfskin shop next door I recently picked up a really nice hard shell day-to-day jacket which pisses all over my North Face equivalent - decent structured hood and a much more rigid fabric, way better in the rain. Thought about buying a few and just keeping the others in storage til I use them Very Happy

Oakley shop is also a good one, my ski jacket came from an Oakley outlet. I'm about to buy a flat so I think I'm going to hit the Tefal shop hard and get myself some decent kitchenware! (Never thought I'd say that)

Oh and to anyone who isn't already aware, discount villages with Cadbury shops sell these huge bags of broken chocolate bits from all their various lines. It's literally the best Cadbury product and apparently they're almost always sold out of them. So if you have the chance, grab one.
ski holidays     
dp wrote:
@PaulC1984, North Face parkas... are they for people who can't decide if they want to look like a chav or a middle class tourist?

Behave - your just jealous because one fits me - your be lucky to find one long enough to cover your moobs Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Oh and to anyone who isn't already aware, discount villages with Cadbury shops sell these huge bags of broken chocolate bits from all their various lines. It's literally the best Cadbury product and apparently they're almost always sold out of them. So if you have the chance, grab one.[/quote]

DAMN RIGHT!!
ski holidays     
PaulC1984 wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

So your comment here and Bob's channel 4 post got me wondering.

Finally quality just isn't what I've seen in the past from Spyder.

All rather odd, and why so many Jackets all in the same size - I'm not talking 1 or 2 - over the 4 stores the 2 jackets I counted had 18 in one colour and 22 in the other in medium - the most popular size, which I'd the quickest to go in end of season sales.

Very odd indeed

Have been pondering over my own thoughts here (aint that scary!!)

Seems rather odd to me that both in store and online, some Spyder gear has an RRP and discount shown - this gear not only has the Spyder tag but also all of the product details, fabric used, waterproofing bla bla bla.

THEN there are several item that have no RRP, specified discount and no technical info, model names and numbers etc etc.

There is a real noticeable difference in the quality between the too as well.

My thinks this is a legal was of selling counterfeit goods!!

take a butchers, you'll see what I mean
https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/search/?q=spyder%3Arelevance%3AstockLevelStatus%3AinStock%3A&page=2
ski holidays     
PaulC1984 wrote:

My thinks this is a legal was of selling counterfeit goods!!

I don't think it's that. I have a separate theory about outlet stores.

What I see a lot of is basically 'generic' goods which have the brand logo whacked on them and then shoved in the outlet store. In both the Jack Wolfskin and TNF shops at Cheshire Oaks and they had loads of basically plain cotton t-shirts with the relevant logo on the breast (like a corporate workwear shirt) but the high street stores sell no such thing. Also both had some pretty cheap looking duffel bags, where the high street stores only sell their proper waterproof Base Camp style offerings. Loads of random branded crap - bum bags, wallets, caps, etc... stuff which has no real relevance and just seems completely generic.

I think the outlets just get this stuff made up with the brand on and sell it in the discount stores because people think that the brand name adds quality or value. Exactly the same t-shirt that you'd pick up for free in a promo but with their tags on it, sold for a higher price. Same for wallets and caps and crap like that. Cheap to produce and the people browsing the outlet shops by all sorts of crap, whereas the people who actually go to TNF or JW shops on the high street have a more refined interest in what they want to buy.

I don't think it's counterfeit, I think it's just deliberately made tat for the consumer who still believes they're getting a special price. Hence having no RRP - because they were never up for sale anywhere else in the first place.
ski holidays     
@Hells Bells, the' Spyder' wear i saw looked very very average and not well made / finished IMO. Over the last few years most IMO goods at TK Maxx look like old tat - very dubious 'brands'.
latest report     
I love Helly Hansen at McArthur Glen. Pretty sure the stuff there is kosher.
snow report     
We looked at Spyder stuff in TK Maxx last year for the boys but there was definitely something 'not right' about it so we decided against it. I thought then that they wouldn't possibly risk selling fakes but now that I read this thread I do wonder?
ski holidays     
@robboj, I would say that they are endorsed Spyder fakes - Spyder must make them, but to a budget for TKMaxx, and as with anything budget they will reduce material quality. If that's the case, you might as well buy fakes offline and get the same quality!
snow conditions     
@PaulC1984, from a quality brand perspective, that seems like a really dim idea. Not saying you're wrong, but if I was the brand manager for a high-end brand, I doubt I'd want it anywhere near TK Maxx, and certainly not in a cheap variant.
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy