Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Earphones for ski helmets

Poster: A snowHead
I have bought a Smith helmet and the earcovers have space for headphones. Can anyone recommend good but cheap set. The Redphones are bit too pricy (cant justify £30 for a weeks use) anyone know cheap alternatives so can listen to music whilst skiing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
would this work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Helmet-Stereo-Sports-Earphones-MP3-Volume-Control-Extended-Line-/120808762017?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item1c20c36aa1
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jon Ford, the ones that fit properly into the helmets all seem to be about that price - I've not found cheaper. Alternative is ordinary small in-ear phones, I suppose, and hope the helmet keeps them from falling out. Not v comfortable, though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
found quite a few flat earpieces on ebay/amazon for around £6. Much cheaper but just hope they work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Angled-Jack-Motorcycle-Helmet-Speaker-Headphones-/260779078001?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb7a4f171
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely the sound quality of anything at that price will be so ropey and so distorted that you'd be better off biting the bullet and buying something worthwhile? Even a shite pair of headphones for an i pod are £20 odd quid, although you can get some great deals on amazon for senneheiser cx300 or 400s.

I've got the giro / skullcandy 40mm eardrops thingys, which I got from amazon / edge and wax for about £32 and they sound fantastic, even at full blast.

Ask your family to get you some for Christmas perhaps?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jon Ford, Try bargin boards/ absolute snow, I got some for my smith vantage helmet last year around £20 ,after spending ages looking for the real things, of if you know anyone in the states they can get them from smith and post the, over maybe
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Isnlt all this missing the point? If the flaps are like mine you can just pop regular in-ear (non bud type) phones in there. You don't want them cranked up all the way anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The speakers in my K2s are pretty good - no significant distortion, but they aren't massively loud - at full tilt you can still hear conversation at close range and other skiiers approaching, which is good.

Worth seeing if you can buy them separately.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheers all. tried the ipod speakers in the Vantage helmet and as the flaps zip up, they hold them in nicely. Only want the music as background to occupy me so will go with those. No point spending loads. Thanks for all advice. 6 weeks on Satursday...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Your best bet is probably a set of earbuds. Depending on the shape of your ear canal the buds should stay in place pretty easily, and if not the ear flaps on the helmet should hold them in place. Just remember to keep enough slack in the cord to keep them from popping out when you turn your head.

Skull candys may not have the best sound quality, but if you break your pair then hit up SC customer service, they'll replace em for free most times. Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do people listen to music while skiing or while in lit queues/lifts? If the former isn't it dangerous not being able to hear someone coming from behind?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree about Skull Candys. Rubbish sounds quality. If you really want to go listen to music when skiing then, as suggested above, just get a pair of ear buds. You genuinely can get pretty decent ones on Amazon for well under a tenner. One other reason to get cheap earbuds - you will lose a pair every week!

However, I used to listen to music while skiing and came to the conclusion that it was probably dangerous. You can't hear warning shouts or people coming up behind. Personally, I also found it detracted from the experience of being in the mountains. Having said that, if you get the right beat it can help your skiing a bit! I never did find the right beat for more than about 20 seconds at a time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Holy thread bump batman
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
muddewater wrote:
Do people listen to music while skiing or while in lit queues/lifts? If the former isn't it dangerous not being able to hear someone coming from behind?

+1
One of the many things I hated about wearing a helmet is the loss of hearing, I cut holes in the non removable ear covers which improved things.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1 wrote:
Holy thread bump batman

+1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

isn't it dangerous not being able to hear someone coming from behind?

No. If someone is coming from behind your job is to maintain your predictable rhythmic turns - not glance behind and make some panicked effort to change course. Personally, I find that scores of people and lots of ugly hardware detracts from the "mountain experience" a lot more than having Status Quo or Bach piped into my helmet. Parts of the Christmas Oratorio have the perfect rhythm for skiing - try the chorus Jauchzet Frohlocket, for example wink. When I walk alone in the mountains - as I shall be at times next month for example - I don't bother with the music.
latest report
@pam w,
What if it is someone who has fallen and has no control over their trajectory?
snow report
I had a similar thinking last year. Earbuds seemed like a very bad choice as they still act like earplugs even with no music coming out of them, and the stuff designed to fit in helmets is way too expensive for what it is.

Ended up buying a pair of Koss KSC75's (£11) and took them apart (very easy). The actual drivers fit perfectly in the ear pads of my giro helmet. Wires stuffed away and routed to one side where I clip on a tiny cheap sandisk mp3 player, so i can take helmet on and off without unplugging anything and never notice it's there.

They're an open backed design (though i suppose they all would be when taken to bits?) so let a fair bit of background sound in. At sensible volumes I can hear the noise of skis coming up behind me etc. Higher volumes obviously start to mask sound but it's quite easy to find a nice middle ground. I'm somewhat fussy about sound quality (more than many but way less than some) and to me they sound good, especially considering the price.

I'd recommend that approach to anyone wanting to do it cheap
ski holidays
I've got a pair of the £4 ones from ebay in the first link on 5/12/11. I got them because the in ear ones were being pressed to hard against my ears (by the helmet flaps) and caused pain. The flat ones are fine, and still work. No pain. I sometimes put them under a headband too.
latest report
Why all this ' oh I must have my tunes' every second of every day? It surely takes away a massive amount of the enjoyment of being out in the mountains as well as being dangerous. You should have ALL your senses attuned to what is going on around you in any potentially hazardous situation. Skiing/boarding ARE potentially hazardous and you can always listen to your ;tunes' when sat in the comfort of your own room/home/club where they belong!
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, +1
ski holidays
Sometimes it takes away from it (I have mine turned off far more than i have it turned on) but at the right time it can be brilliant and very much enhance the moment.
snow report
You probably never use the sound system in your car either. It doesn't follow that those who do are necessarily any less safe than you.

-----
I do think that listening to anything through £4 ear pieces is a crime against music. Unless it's really, really bad music.

I use in-ear things so I can use the same pair for everything.
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech, music can improve other experiences, it shouldn't only be listened to in isolation.
snow report
At the right time or in the right place music can improve everything from sex to skiing.

I don't listen to music when skiing with friends, but alone I almost always have one earphone in.
snow conditions
Quote:

At the right time or in the right place music can improve everything from sex to skiing.

+1 It's especially helpful when the environment is challenging and you feel apprehensive. A better solution than alcohol (and I guess the OMofL doesn't drink whilst skiing or making love, either).

The slow movement of the Emperor Concerto is recommended....
snow conditions
For those who like to take it leisurely and enjoy the views.......not just get from A to Z in as short a time as possible.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
but alone I almost always have one earphone in.

Just make sure your mum doesn't pop in with a cup of tea while you're otherwise occupied wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1 more tripple drivers are simply awesome and cheap.
snow report
well that was worth joining the forum for @charlesjohny8...
latest report
What you mean by that?
snow conditions
What I said! It was well worth signing up to snowheads to revive a thread which has sat silent for a month to suggest getting triple driver headphones....
ski holidays
@dp, don’t be a meanie.

@charlesjohny8, Welcome to Snowheads! (Unless you are just trying to flog earphones)
ski holidays
I used to listen to music when skiing, but stopped when my stepD pointed out that I might miss a cry for help.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, me? Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy