Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots with a wider fit

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a intermediate/advanced skier with a wide foot looking at buying my first pair of boots,

I've recently started attending freestyle skiing sessions and so i'd like a pair that aren't too stiff but at the same time comfort is obviously key. Being based in the midlands i'd only really be able to travel within ~2-3 hrs drive to any ski shop

I'm basically looking for recommendations of wider last boots so that i can see which shops around me have the right stock before i travel and find out they dont have anything that would work for me. (One previous trip to Tamworth where they stocked only 2 wide boots and none in my size left me feeling rather stupid!)
Also when talking to the shop assistant at Tamworth they pretty much instantly ruled out Full Tilt boots, saying they wouldnt be wide enough, however they recommended a boot to me which i have since discovered has the same last as FT descendants, So i really dont know where to begin when looking online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lendon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://shop.atomic.com/en-ca/products/hawx-magna-110-ae0001009.html

I have the previous generation and they have been a great fit for my wide feet. Flex ranges from 130 down to 80.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just how wide are your feet ? I believe Salmon 'Custom' boots can be expanded to 106mm

In the Midlands? can you stretch that to Bicester? - Solutions 4 Feet come highly recommended on this forum..

https://www.solutions4feet.com/

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 28-09-17 22:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
xtr wrote:
https://shop.atomic.com/en-ca/products/hawx-magna-110-ae0001009.html

I have the previous generation and they have been a great fit for my wide feet. Flex ranges from 130 down to 80.

I have the same previous gen boot for my wide feet. I also had one stretched by snow and rock to small niggle.

I would recommend

DK
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hellolendon, to the extent of my understanding, you’ve been given duff advice.

You don’t want wide boots. You want boots that are appropriately narrow for the narrowest part of your foot-ankle-calf. And as close a match to the wider bits as reasonably possible.

Anything then, that needs to be wider can be stretched to accommodate.

You maybe need a good boot fitter...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
but it's not possible to ski freestyle on anything but Full Tilts wink

Serious, get yourself to Bicester, although Colin doesn't stock full tilt, you will get a boot that fits.

PPS I had some of the original Raichle Flexon back in the day, loved them, and my lad skis freestyle on full tilts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hellolendon, do you have custom foot beds at the moment as someone like Colin at solutions 4 feet all make for you? I ask as they can make a big difference to the width of your foot too
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, I wouldn't believe everything you are told. I have got wide feet and own a pair if Full Tilts. Before that I had Head freerides boots and they were great too. Both a 110 flex and I am only 75kg. Got mine in Yorkshire
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a pair of Full tilts gathering dust wore them inside once and they broke my wide feet within 20 mins.
On a pair of Atomic Live fit as they are for extra wide hobbit feet like mine, custom insoles and they are super comfy however I do find them a little too flexible, are there ways to stiffen them up anybody?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FWIW there are some wide last Full Tilts too. The B&E Pro is 102mm wide, for example.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i really wish people would stop being fixated by forefoot width, most boot models can (with the correct tools) be expanded by several mm (read 20+ is possible) the key is to secure the heel and ankle area, a boot fitter can make the rest of the boot wider... making a boot narrower in the heel if it is too big there is really a temporary job at best... stabizing the foot is key as this reduces any spread and external twist (abduction) of the foot as the arch flattens and lowers

@Samc12, yes you can stiffen them a little by adding a couple of bolts (not a manufacturer fix) just need a decent boot fitter who can work out where to put them to get best effect.... do remember though this will do a bit but the plastic will deform too which is how the flex is created in the first place so it won't be a massive jump up, this works better on some boots than others
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My Salomon X-Pro 110's are great. I've got wide feet and had the shell punched out a bit after buying them online and now fit perfectly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Then I suppose this thread should be what Boot Fitter to go to rather than what boot to go for... I remember when I went to buy my first pair of ski boots when the guy talked about stretching and cutting a brand new pair of ski boots it put me off going for any other than a pair that fit me there and then. Knowing that there are boot fitters able to do this brings piece of mind that having dodgy feet doesnt sentence us to wearing "special shoes" for the rest of our skiing days. Anyone recommend any good boot fitters in the North?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Samc12, have a chat with Graham at Rivington Alpine in Chorley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I phoned Solutions For Feet in Bicester, I mentioned that my husband had rather wide feet. When we turned up for our appointment, a comment was made "you didn't say he had hobbit feet!". After fitting, I can report that it is the first time in years of skiing that my husband's boots have fit him well enough to allow him to ski comfortably all day off-piste as well as on-piste in all conditions. I also bought my boots from Solutions For Feet - which are equally great. Colin is an outstanding ski boot fitter and I highly recommend him. We drove 3 hours for our appointment - one of the most worthwhile 6-hour drive round-trips we have done for skiing.
latest report
@MeriDebs, Me too. I always bought the widest boots I could, but as mentioned above, that's not necessary.

I ended up with Lange, boots that I couldn't usually get my feet in at all. Oh my god, they are perfect, and I can ski better in them too!

S4F rock!
snow report
@Samc12, Otley any good for you? I got mine from Glide & Slide.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy