Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long weekends in Europe from Edinburgh

Poster: A snowHead
....are they doable?!

and if so are they worth it? Was thinking of potentially arriving somewhere on a Thursday night and leaving afternoon on the Monday.

Had a little look for direct flights last night but places I tried only seem to have weekly flights.

Anyone done a long weekend from Edinburgh and if so where did you go and who did you fly with?

Would probably want to leave it to near the time to book as will wait and see what the skiing here is like first. Unfortunately I have to book my time off work well in advance and that doesn't work well for Scottish skiing!
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MCL, Easyjet EDI-GVA. At least daily in Winter, sometimes more than one per day.

Your question then becomes how worth it, which is rather moderated by actual flight times.

We do the opposite - several long weekends in Scotland from Geneva, but less time pressured, obviously.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have done a few. As per above Easyjet EDI-GVA is your best bet. We usually fly out on the 6.30 am Friday flight (the plane is full of skiers) and back on the Sunday afternoon 4.10 pm flight. This way you can have two half days and a full days skiing. Pick up a hire car and from GVA and you can be clipping in to your bindings in Lez Carroz/Morzine/Les Gets/Samoens/La Clusaz/Les Houches/Chamonix/Thollon by noon.

I am fairly sure that they fly at 6.30 am every other weekday too.

This year I am taking my eldest away for a couple of father/son weekends and we are taking the 5.00pm Friday flight instead and only skiing one and a half day because of school.

We are cash rich/time poor so this may not seem great value, but for us, it works.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for advice and resort options to look into.

I'm cash poor and time poor this year due to starting a business!

Now I know where to get started I can see if its practically and financially an option. (I do have a week booked in Feb and probably a last minute week in April but they seem so far away! ) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MCL, otherwise, going via a decently easy airport might work, your temporal problem being (maybe) transiting from non-Schengen to Schengen zones.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have also done long weekends via Munich as well as Geneva. Lots of resorts within 2hour drive of Munich. We don't do them much anymore as we have become more time rich and find that going for a week via a last minute package deal is just as cheap/expensive.

Ghostdog should be along soon, he organises our mid Jan boys trip every year with a mix of flights to Munich and Innsbruck (via Schiphol) but that's not a cheap option.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easyjet: Edinburgh- munich is ok, but isn't best use of time for a ski weekend. They fly out late fri morning and home evening time sunday, prob too late to get any decent skiing Friday and too early to have a good morning sunday. so realistically you have to fly out fri, back Monday for only 2 days skiing. but the big plus is flights are usually pretty cheap, hire cars are reasonable, accommodation in ski welt area reasonable / flexible on not booking full weeks and the ski welt is 1.5hrs away in good traffic. or its even possible to use the train direct from the airport with one change and make it to a ski resort, but hire cars are almost break even on cost between 2.

Geneva gives loads of options.....

but depending on flight times/ where you'd be happy to ski, look at:

Turin
Barcelona
salzburg
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also did a long weekend in Sierra Nevada a few years ago. I think that I flew with Jet2 to Malaga.

Skyscanner is your friend.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ghost Dog here as predicted Smile

Best advice I can give is go Saturday to Tuesday or Wednesday, that way you're not asking a hotel to block off 2 full weeks for your weekend.

Flights to Geneva are direct and cheap with Easyjet.
Flights to Munich with Easyjet are cheap and direct but they don't currently fly on Saturdays. Alternative is KLM to Munich which comes in at about £170 plus luggage.
There is a good codeshare that KLM do with Transavia which would get you out early back late to Innsbruck, it's currently not daily but will be post Christmas. Not the cheapest option but perfectly timed flights. Arrive Sat 14.20 Leave on Wed at 18.50 £347 Restricted to 4 seats.

Other options are Easyjet to Milan (we are doing this for New Year to get to the Dolomites), or Easyjet are now linking flights eg Edinburgh Gatwick Innsbruck (although the flight times on that combo are poor.

Sadly Jet2 have dropped the direct Verona flight but still fly directly to Salzburg on Saturdays, flights can be pretty cheap. You would have to return with a different carrier tho if you want less than a week.

As JimboS said, we do a 4 night trip every year in Jan, never have a problem finding accommodation. Most years we have flown to Munich and driven to Mayrhofen (although at New Year I have taken the train), but we have also done St Anton, Sauze D'Oulx, Solden and Selva). This year it is Ischgl, again flying EDI AMS MUC
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
While @Ghost Dog, has a point, unless you’re in school holidays, in France in particular, finding hotels who behave like normal hotels is often not impossible.

Also, AirBnB...

Our apartments aren’t Sat-Sat, as we can handle that and we get revenue we wouldn’t otherwise get.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do these all the time, at least 6 per year.
straight from office for the 18.00 EDI TO GVA , grab a hire car & be in bar for 22.30 for last beer.
Ski Sat,Sun & Mon till 13.00, quick shower then back up to GVA for the 17.00 return flight.
1 day off work & 2.5 days skiing, avredge flight costs are £40-£50 return per person
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonny996, that's a good turnaround. Staying in your own place or somewhere you regularly book?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Own place so lot easier but out of half term I don't see an issue with 3 nights accomadation. It might not be the done thing but I have always liked going to same place, know where to go and makes things easier & quicker
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done many a weekend trip from Edinburgh so def possible to do. Also possible to keep it cheap if the flight prices are good.
Direct flights to Geneva, Milan and Barcelona.

Barcelona a good option as car hire is very very cheap in winter, I use hotelopia for hotels in Andorra as they sell rooms that include a ski pass(and hire if required). £100 per night will get you a double/twin on half board and 2 ski passes- very good!
Another good one is esquiades.com. Accommodation with ski passes included for most of the Spanish resorts, paid less than 40euros per night pp outwith peak times.

Geneva- Avoriaz works when it's a short weekend trip- short transfer and a cheap ski pass on Sat/Sun, outwith peak weeks Youll be able to rent an apartment for 2/3 nights over a weekend. Or stay somewhere a drive away and park free at Prodains.
A lot of French resorts do cheap Sat/Weekend passes- La Plagne 30euros on a Sat, St Foye 25euro with a receipt from Super U. Valmorel and Les Sybelles both do 25euro ish sat tickets- I'm sure there are loads more??

Milan- tons of options with a hire car. Any of the Aosta resorts, plenty of good price hotels for short stays.

Hope that helps a bit- just had a quick scan and plenty of cheap flights currently available Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skyscanner.com and search Edinburgh to Everywhere on the dates you want to go
snow report
Thanks for the info everyone, definitely going to be doing some research on options.

@Jonny996, what resort do you go to?

@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, Andorra might be good to look into to keep the price down plus never been!
snow conditions
@MCL, I stay in Saint Gervais and ski Evasion mount blanc. (444Km). it is 1h10 mins by car or if you don't want to drive, possible as the uplift is in the village Ouibus run a direct route from Geneva airport to the village every 2 hours & its 25 euro.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy