Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any ideas for an early budget ski weekend near Milan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does Italy have a UCPA equivalent? I've just had this email from my son:

My friends and I are looking to go on a ski weekend away the second weekend of December 7/8/9. We want something fairly cheap but also snow sure (given the early time in the season). Do you know of any companies offering accommodation, food and lift pass included in the total price. We are all super broke and can't afford much.

I've looked into self catering apartments in Sestriere and Sauze Doux but that would mean getting everything individually. All together it comes to around 270euros for 3 nights accom, ski rental and ski pass (but no food of course). So adding food and spending money you are looking at 350-400euros which is steep.

We probably have about 6/7 people coming. Any suggestions or ideas?

They can probably borrow cars so anything within a 3hr drive of Milan would fit the bill. Aosta with skiing at Pila looks like a possibility if they got an Air BnB. Anyone skied there and can advise? Mixed group from cautious to confident.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia is around 2 hours drive and is pretty snow sure. That early, I'd say snow sureness is crucial.

I doubt you will get any packages running, so early in the season, so it would be shopping round. Or, why not wait until last minute, then choose which resort has decent snow. I doubt anywhere would be booked up in early Dec.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Champoluc nominally opens for around Nov 30 ... snow permitting.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do they have to go so early? It's pretty risky
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the tips, I'll pass them on. They're already out there working moseyp, but have some friends visiting that weekend too. Be interested to hear from anyone who's skied at Pila above Aosta. Looks like a town with a bit of a buzz about it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jude1, I will probably be in Pila the weekend before that and some of the following week.

I was also there the same week the last two winters. Last winter was fine, the year before there was no snow at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jude1, I’ve skied a lot at pila and it’s very nice skiing especially for a few day, but it probably won’t be open that early, plus the resort is purpose built and not very lively. Much better to stay down the mountain in Aosta town which has a direct lift to the resort and is a proper town with plenty going on and some cheap accommodation. That time of year I think Cervinia would be the safest option and still not guaranteed.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, we went to Pila this year. We really liked it. its quite a small resort, but plenty for either a few days or a week if you are happy to do the same runs a few times. We were quite happy to do that so it suited us. Pistes are wide and varied in ability. It's got two centres, one where the Gondola from aosta drops you and one about ten mins walk . We stayed at the bottom one, and there was a nice restaurant and couple of snack bars and bars. The higher one has more restaurants round a sort of square where there is an ice rink. The mountain restaurants are lovely and coffee is cheap! We are going back there this year as it just ticked the boxes for us. I imagine it wouldn't suit everyone as it's not a place for mileage hungry skiers, but we liked it Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jude1, we did a short break in Feb this year, stayed in Aosta and skied in Pila. It worked well for us. Some decent restaurants in Aosta which is what we were wanting. Plenty of skiing for 3/4 days in Pila.

I also flew into Milan in Jan last year with the intention of skiing Champoluc, but there was no snow so had to cancel our accommodation and go to Cervinia instead. Pila wouldn't have had any snow either, so if they book any accommodation, make sure they have a cancellation option.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TBH, if the accom is open, they’re unlikely to be busy, so I’d myself wait till Dec 6 and book wherever there’s snow

If that means tricky choices, so much the better snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jude1, I live in Aosta and ski in Pila. It was open on the 8th last year but very little was open and there was barely any snow. It's already a very small ski area too. Aosta is gorgeous but it's not good for nightlife. Courmayeur or the other ski resorts are better but might be empty that early in the season.

As it sounds though, they are already living there and don't need to make a decision until the day before so they can just wait to see where there's snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jude1, I live in Aosta and ski in Pila. It was open on the 8th last year but very little was open and there was barely any snow. It's already a very small ski area too. Aosta is gorgeous but it's not good for nightlife. Courmayeur or the other ski resorts are better but might be empty that early in the season.

As it sounds though, they are already living there and don't need to make a decision until the day before so they can just wait to see where there's snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@moseyp, nice place to be! I spent a summer working down the valley in Villeneuve a few years back and have fond memories of Aosta.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy