Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working a Season as Kitchen Assistant

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Quick questions apologies if this is posted in the wrong section, I have been shortlisted for an interview with Mark Warner as a Kitchen Assistant. However I originally applied to be am entry level chef, this was unsuitable due to not enough experience.

I have read online that it will mostly involve washing dishes and can become quite tedious, although I will not have to interact with customers to much which would be a plus for me. Can anyone who has worked in this role tell me what it is like? And what it is like to work for Mark Warner? I am afraid of going out there and hating it and returning home after a week lol. As I live in Northern Ireland and will have to travel to London for the interview, I would just like some more information before I fully commit.

Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your be working hard. Very Hard. Really surprised they have not hired cheap local labour from the Balkans for such work unless your cheaper??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dmckillen812, ignore anything stanton says. He is this forum's no 1 troll.

I'm sure some more useful comments will appear soon.

Welcome to Snowheads. Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any step inside the company, will allow you to show eagerness and willingness to graft. People often leave during a season, opening up opportunities. Those most able to take new opportunities, are those at the bottem rung who have shown eagerness and willingness to graft.

There is probably not much difference in the job title, one could equally be the other depending on flexibility and staff retention.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lower down the ladder = more time to free ski...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A friend's son did this in St Anton for a season and loved it. Sure, it was hard work, but like you say, you only have to keep onside with your workmates, not a weekly influx of holidaymakers who can go from benign and friendly, to obnoxious and demanding over the course of one Saturday changeover. If you've worked in hospitality you'll know that there is no guarantee that the chef won't be an ar*ehole, but assuming that the folk you are working with are sound, then I reckon it's a decent job.

The main plus point is that you get a decent amount of slope time, the main minus point is that you work till you're finished whatever needs finished, which can be the early hours.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitchen assistant is mainly washing up and cleaning up after lazy chefs. If you get a good conscientious chef the job can be a bit easier. The plus side is you are in the kitchen and could pick up some useful tips, skills from being observant and willing to learn. If an assistant chef leaves elsewhere it could be an opening for you if you've shown aptitude. As a KA you won't have much responsibility or contact with guests unless you want to.I think it is as important for guests to know who is behind the scenes as well as front of house. Mark Warner are one of the better UK TO's. I've worked for 4. Not MW yet but maybe HM this coming season.
Pay will be minimal. No one with an ounce of sense believes that working a winter season for a UK TO is way to make money, but all your living expenses are taken care of. Your wage is literally spending money. If the HM deals fairly with the tips you should get exactly the same as every other staff member and this can make a huge difference to the amount of money you have in your pocket. Good luck
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Son #2 was a KP/NP for SkiWorld. Had the time of his life. Do not hesitate to travel to London for the interview.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dmckillen812, You must be very disciplined, and be able to manage your time. Could you stop skiing/boarding on a powder day at midday, to get off the mountain and into the kitchen for prep work, without doing one more run?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PowderAdict wrote:
@dmckillen812, You must be very disciplined, and be able to manage your time. Could you stop skiing/boarding on a powder day at midday, to get off the mountain and into the kitchen for prep work, without doing one more run?

It's why, when a powder day is forecast, you do a lot of prep the night before wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sitter, The last time I was in Whistler, there must have been a lot of people who didn't check the weather forecast then Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I washed dishes in Garmisch for a season (not recently). It's usually the best job for getting lots of skiing in as long as they don't expect you to cover lunches.

Chefs work before + during dinner preparing it. Dishwashers work during + after dinner clearing it up. The harder and more efficiently you work, the quicker you're done and the more time you have for the important stuff.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the advice guys, think il go for this interview hope I don't mess it up lol
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dmckillen812, when I was working in the alps nearly 20 years ago, I once gave a teenage brit hitchhiker a lift up to Meribel from moutier, as he was heading there to do a season in a mark warner establishment as a "plongeur". His name was johno verity, and he did alright for himself as he ended up a professional snowboarder (now a filmmaker), so must have managed plenty of slope time!!

go for it, am sure you wont regret it!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great job, I did three seasons (A while ago now though)
First was as a Kitchen Porter / Plongeur in Les Carroz. Had a great time, good team in the kitchen, worked hard, skied a fair bit.
Also had other tasks in the hotel on changeover day. Making and moving beds about, cleaning etc etc.

Second season, (Serre Chevalier) as I thought the second chef job looked a doddle, I thought I would have a crack at that.
Smaller hotel, smaller team less organised chef, lots more pressure on me on Chefs night off...Didn't like it, I shudder at the quality of what I served, now.

Third season.
Same hotel as the previous season as a KP. Great head chef, a second chef who didn't like skiing and loads of skiing for me.
I skied more than the customers some weeks. Worked very hard and played hard too.
I am actively encouraging my nephews and niece to do the same.
snow conditions
Did a couple of seasons of this in Serre Chevalier. 26 years later it's still my favourite job Very Happy
latest report
Alan, Skibound?
Frejus?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy