Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
caughtanedge wrote:
62 (Furgg-Furi) was closed on about Wednesday I think, because of a potential slab avalanche. This could clearly be seen from the Matterhorn Express gondola in the days before, threatening to break away

It was closed earlier this week as well. But it seems to be open today. The easterly side of Schwarzsee that looms over it is a real avalanche risk all the time.

BobinCH wrote:
Spring skiing on the Zermatt glaciers is going to be all time epic! April oh yes please!

Just booked up ski touring for 21 April (last weekend lifts are open in full). I am already confident it will be good.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Adam123 wrote:
I'm driving up to Cervinia on Thursday night and nervously eying the weather forecast. Looks like nonstop snow.

There seems to be a lot of disagreement between GFS and ECMWF based or local forecasts.
e.g. check snow forecast (dump) vs bergfex (dribble)
www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cervinia/6day/mid
https://www.bergfex.com/breuil-cervinia/wetter/prognose
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hd, to answer your query from the Weather Forecast thread, my offpiste days are long past but the offpiste higher up looked OK. We went up in the cable car to Hohtalli and, looking across, Triftji looked in good condition. Certainly not fresh powder but not a scraped icy mess either. The intineraries are all open including one round the back into Furg that I haven’t seen open for a few years. Friends skied the trees above Furi on Sunday and said it was “mixed” - good higher up but hard lower down. I don’t know if the Schwartztor is open but I’ll look tomorrow if we go up to Kleine Matterhorn. We plan to go over to Cervinia tomorrow if the Kleine Matterhorn lift is open for skiers. I refuse to take the drags in this cold even with the promise of an Italian lunch! It was closed first thing this morning but was shown as “in preparation”. I didn’t check after that as we were skiing Rothorn and Gornergrat. I’ll give an update on the Cervinia pistes if we do go over. We had snow on Sunday and Monday (although the higher up peaks were out of the cloud for a lot of the time) but it was light and probably didn’t amount to more than a few centimetres. Enough to freshen things up. As you’ve commented, the forecast snow for the next few days varies hugely but, regardless, the skiing is in really good shape and looks set to stay that way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went over to Cervinia today via the Ventina. The pistes are in top condition and there is a lot of snow! We didn’t venture too far down as it started to cloud over at about midday so I can’t comment on the lower pistes but the skiing across the area above Plan Maison was a pleasure. We headed back via the Theodul Pass. The cloud was starting to flow over from Cervinia and the wind had really picked up on the Kleine Matterhorn side. As forecast, it looks like a change in the weather. The pistes on the Zermatt side down from Trockener Steg are still skiing really well with no obvious icy patches. The black from Furg to Furi was closed again. Let’s see what tomorrow brings in the way of fresh snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone know of how the itinerary runs are fairing up currently? Know its been a little while since we've had fresh snow - are they getting fairly crusty or still moderately fresh?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Run28, just back in. Moderate snow falling now but there has only been a few centimetres top up at various times during the week. Skied the Hornli sector yesterday and it was perfect.
About 5cms had fallen overnight on top of the pisted pistes. The offpiste was very good. Somewhere between ankle and boot deep in places with the drifting. That sector tends to be very quiet so plenty of fresh tracks. I noticed some of the intineraries were closed this morning but they will be getting a nice top up now for when they do open. The black from Furg to Furi has been closed all week all though you do see the odd person risking it. Given the evidence of the slides down onto the piste, they are taking a chance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welshcakes wrote:
@Run28, just back in. Moderate snow falling now but there has only been a few centimetres top up at various times during the week. Skied the Hornli sector yesterday and it was perfect.
About 5cms had fallen overnight on top of the pisted pistes. The offpiste was very good. Somewhere between ankle and boot deep in places with the drifting. That sector tends to be very quiet so plenty of fresh tracks. I noticed some of the intineraries were closed this morning but they will be getting a nice top up now for when they do open. The black from Furg to Furi has been closed all week all though you do see the odd person risking it. Given the evidence of the slides down onto the piste, they are taking a chance.

Brilliant thanks for the on the ground update.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Run28, and it snowed again on Saturday so probably another 10cm on top of what @Welshcakes, was skiing on Friday. And more coming this week - particularly Wednesday
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was out the weekend before last (before a few days round the corner in Nendaz and the 4 valleys). The itineraries were all in great shape – helped by some fresh snow. However it is noticeable how much the avalanche risk (even when the general risk level is lower) is keeping the high risk trails closed: the Klein Matterhorn itineraries; Black 62; red 69 and the run round the back of Schwarzsee to Furgg). Plenty of other good stuff, on and off piste to ski of course.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied in Cervinia this afternoon. The piste skiing is perfect almost all the way to town level. To say there is a tiny bit of chop in the afternoon lower down would be an exaggeration.

The off piste higher above 2800 actually isn’t too bad. It’s a bit of a crusty mix, but not completely awful. I suspect the slope aspect determines the off piste condition out here at the moment.

Might have a look towards Valtournenche tomorrow. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First time to Zermatt on 24th for me Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like quite a lot of snow is coming for the next week.

Is the railway all fine now, no more closures since about 3-4 weeks ago (I think?)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Looks like quite a lot of snow is coming for the next week.

Is the railway all fine now, no more closures since about 3-4 weeks ago (I think?)

Yes. That is all fine. Everything is OK now with the exception of the black run 62 from Furgg down to Furi which has stayed closed for some reason.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnMo, ok thanks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are there ski and boot lockers at the lift stations so you can leave your kit drying overnight?
snow report
The short answer is yes. There are also ski and boot lockers at some of the higher lift stations. At the base there are three ways to start: Gornergrat train; Furnicular from Sunnegga; lift from Matterhorn Express Station. At the latter the ski and boot lockers are just there. At Sunnegga the ski lockers are right there but I can’t think of any boot lockers – there are plenty at the top of the furnicular at Sunnegga itself. At the Gornergrat train station you need to go over the road to the main station and down to the basement. Make sure you get plenty of CHF2 coins.
ski holidays
@JohnMo, thank you!
ski holidays
Just on the way back from an Easter break with the extended family. That will be my last piste skiing while the full lift system is open. I am back in a fortnight when the lift system is having its last full weekend but I will be ski touring.

Conditions are still phenomenal. Easter Sunday in particular was one of the best ski days ever. Friday/Saturday had seen a good dump. The skies were blue but the temperatures were low. Pistes were gorgeous all day long and off piste you could continue to make fresh tracks until the end of the day - and that despite the fact that half of holidaying Britain and a good proportion of Switzerland seemed to be in Zermatt.

Temperatures are rising and lower slopes are getting slushier. But higher and north facing pistes and itineraries are still in superb condition. Anyone coming out for Zermatt unplugged next week (we are missing it this year) is going to have some very good skiing.

The Black run from Furgg to Furi stayed closed (since February?) because of the avalanche risk. This really has been the year of the avalanche. Looking down from the lift served pistes you can see the numerous scars from avalanches surrounding the village.

The lift from Blauherd up to Rothorn broke down at the end of last week (a problem with one of the pylons). It is now closed for the season. It is a real pain as it cuts off some good pistes and itineraries and makes skiing from Sunnegga over to Gornergrat and the other areas a real pain.

There is now a couple of weeks left of the full lift system being open followed by a couple of weeks of just the Klein Matterhorn sector and then the Furggsattel glacier until July then up to the top glacier for the summer. Given the amount of snow up there the skiing should be good throughout.
snow report
Been back a little while from my first trip to Cervinia since 1983. It was very interesting to see what had changed in 35 years - not a great deal off the hill but a fair bit on the mountain. It remains a cruiser's paradise (although the last little pitch into Cretaz can be a bit steep and daunting for beginners and progressive skiers). The Ventina run remains a delight and the reds down into Valtournenche provide a sterner test than the easy stuff in the Plan Maison bowl.

On the hill, the extremely long drag lift from above Plan Maison to the Swiss border has, thankfully, been replaced by three modern chairlifts and the old Rocce Nere chairlift has disappeared, although the bottom lift station remains and still houses the 'transport cafe' complete with the dreaded squatter toilets! Also long gone, it would appear, was the old and rarely used Furggen cable car. In four visits, I never saw this working and it looked like a relic in the early 1980s. They've still done nothing about the long, uphill trek to and from the Plan Maison gondola.

The town has expanded with some modern, swanky 'mountain resorts' and apartments and some of the old hotels have been given a facelift. The standard of accommodation is now very good. Nightlife remains fairly subdued although live music in the Hotel Grivola basement was good fun. Prices remain on the better value side of Alpine standards!

As you might expect this year, snow conditions were excellent. The weather was a bit mixed - heavy snow on arrival and a couple of white-out days where the resort's lack of tree skiing proved a bit of a pain.

All in all, very pleased to have returned - won't leave it quite so long next time! Very Happy
snow conditions
Booked for four day ski break the week after next in cervinia. Conditions still look good, snowing at the moment.
snow report
Today sees the end of the season. A season of big snow and many avalanches. With the snow melting in the heatwave we are having, the impact of the avalanches is even clearer. Particularly dramatic are: the one that came down on the main train line up from Visp where the ice and rubble are still above train height despite there being no remaining snow in that part of the valley for miles; and the ones that hit the black piste from Furgg to Furi that closed the run for the season back in February.

We decided to celebrate the end of the season with a couple of days ski touring. Obviously with a lot of snow still around and the high temperatures the avalanche risk is high (2 in the mornings but 3 in the afternoons). However we were with a very experienced guide whose judgement and aversion to risk I trust. The first day we did the very popular Schwarztor. This comes off the top of Klein Matterhorn, rounds the south side of the Breithorn and then heads down the Schwarz glacier and on to the Gorner glacier ending up in Furi. Despite it being late April there was enough snow to carry us almost the whole way still. We did perhaps 100 metres of walking. Yesterday we came off the Klein Matterhorn glacier and headed pretty much directly south to end up in the Monte Rosa ski resort. Again we probably only did about 200 metres of walking at the end. We only saw one other skier all day. The reason for this is fairly obvious: once you get down to the Monte Rosa resort, the only way back is a one hour taxi ride to Breuil-Cervinia at a not insignificant cost – but it was our last day of the season so we were in a “what the hell” mood. If the proposed link between the Monte Rosa and Cervinia resorts ever does get built I could see this tour becoming really popular.

Of course the season never really ends. The Klein Matterhorn sector down to Furgg now stays open until the end of the month. Cervinia stays open until May 6 and then for weekends in May. The Furggsattell lift stays open until the end of June. From then until things get going again in October it is summer skiing up on the Klein Matterhorn glacier.
latest report
Been in cervinia since Sunday night. Blazing sunshine and ridiculous heat. Pretty much everything open here. Fast and frozen morning pistes, becoming a bit slushy and fun around noon, to very torn up and mulchy by late afternoon. However, what an incredible experience, pistes pretty empty, and fantastic fun to being had. Me and my pals feel like we are in heaven. All sunburnt already and 2 days of our trip left. Skied all the way down to zermatt Monday, felt like we had been teleported into another world wandering the streets in full ski gear with people in shorts and t shirts walking about!

I don't think I've ever been this content on a holiday. Bring on tomorrow.
snow report
@scotspikey, can’t beat T-shirt skiing in April
snow report
Next week looking very different

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cervinia/6day/mid
ski holidays
I'm flying Thursday to Turin and staying in Valtournenche - was thinking a few days here, one in the Monterosa, etc. Maybe should go to Chamonix or something instead, not sure how the weather will affect everything.
snow conditions
Still seems to be a lot of uncertainty about next week. But the general consensus appears to be that temperatures will get more down to normal from this week's heatwave and that there will be "some" precipitation. If we are lucky and it mainly comes at night that could be a nice top up. The image below is for Zermatt but Cervinia should be similar. I don't know if Chamonix is looking better.

Anyway back to the present. I was mainly practising uphill on skins today. But sitting at the bar at Testa Grigia having a well earned beer this was my view of the top of the Ventina on the Italian side. It seemed rude not to take a blast down it. It was excellent - even the slush going into the town seemed a pleasure in the glorious sunshine.

snow conditions
Just a quick update, been some nice spring snow the last couple of days and had some fun blasting around the piste...been based Cervinia

Precipitation looks to be incoming tomorrow, will see how it goes Smile.

PS - thanks for the previous update JohnMo, appreciated!
ski holidays
The hangover from the season's avalanches is still there. I biked down from Täsch to Visp and back on the mountain bike trail today (the Zermatt to Täsch section is not yet open this season). You can see several of the avalanche tips hanging on. The most dramatic is at St Nicklaus where it came over the train track. You can see the train line on the right in the attached photo. Snow several metres thick is covering the bike trail. You have to get off your bike and scramble over it.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JohnMo wrote:
The hangover from the season's avalanches is still there. I biked down from Täsch to Visp and back on the mountain bike trail today (the Zermatt to Täsch section is not yet open this season). You can see several of the avalanche tips hanging on. The most dramatic is at St Nicklaus where it came over the train track. You can see the train line on the right in the attached photo. Snow several metres thick is covering the bike trail. You have to get off your bike and scramble over it.

John, only just saw this. We used the Visp - Zermatt train a number of times over the season and the amount of snow and rubble in certain places was immense. Amazing to see what is left once the snow has melted.
ski holidays
@Run28, I was in Zermatt a couple of weeks ago (early August) mainly hiking although I had a good day skiing on the glacier. It was amazing that in some gullies at village level there was still fairly large accumulations of dirty compacted ice from last season’s avalanches. It is going to be interesting to see if they can make it all the way thorough to the next season.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy