Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

st anton half term advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. thinking of going to St Anton in 2018. We usually go to france and take the kids out of school (authorised) to avoid the half term hell and also go prior to the french hols starting. woudl be interested in people's experience of going to st anton in either the austrian hols (which start on 5th feb) and / or UK half term. is it as bad as the big french resorts ? we normally go the week before UK half term - ie around end of jan. we are thinking we may have to go half term due to eldest starting his GCSEs now. our half term is 12th feb and the Voralberg region (st anton) half term will have finished then but other regions in austria will still be on "spring break" (spring ? in feb ? !!), any advice most welcomed.thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@backhojo, I have never been there for half term but have been there for second week of Easter school holidays and the area was not too busy at all, no problems with queues anywhere. Depending on your research etc may be worth considering?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not that many Austrian (very few) take Ski vacations in St Anton, Lech etc.

You need to look at the German & Dutch School Holiday Calenders.

https://www.schulferien.org/Feiertage/Fasching/Fasching.html

Fasching Week is the busiest 10-17th February 2018 but the week before & after are also Holiday in some regions.

End of January is still low season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FYI, St Anton is in the Tyrol, not Vorarlberg.

As Stanton says, Fasching week tends to be one of the busiest, and Jan is relatively quiet. Last season the St Anton pistes (with the obvious exception of the home runs at the end of the day) tended to be quieter than the initial lift lines implied as everybody headed for the new Flexenbahn.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@backhojo, We ski there 3-4 weeks a season and tbph we avoid the weeks you are talking about, it WILL be busy but if you avoid the pinch points and get up early, on the lifts by 8.45-9am latest and keep moving you can avoid the crowds, BUT you do need to know where to go, and more importantly where NOT to go. If you want to PM me I can give you some hints, but really depends on competency of the skiers where I'd recommend so best to think about that maybe too. Its a step up from the big French resorts in terms of technical ability required to get the best from the skiing, we used to ski 3V, EK, PdS, and LaP etc back loads in the 90's but got fed up of (a) crowds (d) idiots skiing too fast and like they know what they're doing (c) cruisy blues and reds (d) poor access to the resorts by car and traffic hold ups (in no particular order). Still in Arlberg plenty of fast idiots (like anywhere) but they don't last long, they either know what they are doing and are very good skiers, or they get themselves hurt.

St Anton is "less British" than French resorts, despite what you might believe reading forums like SH's, its a truly international resort - because of that it gets busy with Germans, Dutch, Belgians, Italians, French (increasingly so), etc etc (thankfully not too many Russians yet ime) but its big enough to get out there and avoid the crowds and its as much about timing as anything.

Caveat to the above - we will be there at New Year and it doesn't get busier than that we just know where and when to go. Only thing that can scupper best made plans is bad weather and when its closed up high its a bad day when its busy, just then its about finding deep powder in the trees if necessary, there's simply loads of options, and many are in their hotel rooms in bad weather anyway.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
(thankfully not too many Russians yet ime)
Have you been in town Russian Week :shock (Week 1 January)??

Actually Eastern Europeans & Russians are their biggest growth market :
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There always are quite some Austrians holidaying in our Lech-Hotel!
But indeed and obviously it is more usefull to look at German and Dutch holidays, having larger populations. (Yes that includes the Dutch Very Happy in Lech the Dutch guests equal the Brits)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Russians: 7/8 January (Orthodox Christmas)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, Yep I've seen and heard them however I try avoid them, tbh find them arrogant and rude. Not so many as in other ski areas I meant to say really, eg Ischgl.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

There always are quite some Austrians holidaying in our Lech-Hotel

@Langerzug, They are great people, and why wouldn't you ski in your own back yard, I would! Try get in a bar/ restaurant on ski WC day, particularly when the Hannenkamm is on, full of Austrians!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went a few years ago when it was UK half term and Fasching. Wasnt too bad tbh.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, exactly, and a pretty backyard it is! Very Happy
And by the way, the proud Swiss are using their Austrian backyard more and more too...but that probably is explained by the Swiss in the end being more thrifty than proud.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, Yep CH-landers a plenty, same in summer.....150km from them and much cheaper (and friendlier, more gemuetlichkeit), who can blame them!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you live in Zurich or Basel it is actually much quicker to get to St Anton am Arlberg than say Wengen for example by Train ..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Yep I've seen and heard them however I try avoid them, tbh find them arrogant and rude.

Even more arrogant and rude than this statement?
latest report
@PollSki, Yep, not rude or arrogant....probably a tad generalistic but judging by their views right from the top its not surprising, you met any? I have, plenty.....
snow report
So you've met a few and generalise around half a billion people at a stroke of your keyboard? Yes I've met a few. I am one (Eastern European - well half).
latest report
Colleague of mine goes to stanton every 1/2 term with his W+3 and loves it.

Yes it's fairly busy but then let's face it it's never exactly dead is it? All part of the atmosphere
snow report
@PollSki, Northing at all wrong with eastern Europeans in general obviously, I really like eastern Europeans and have many friends from Balkans etc. I don't personally like the particular Russians I've had the opportunity to meet and I keep up with the news - the Country appears to be crooked (business/ sport etc), international relations record poor, human rights, racist views widespread, those I spoke to were homophobic/ sexist and generally rude to others. Not my type of people, if yours that's fine I guess, plenty of room for all just not my type of folks. wink We'll agree to differ....I try go where they don't.
ski holidays
I've been to many resorts with Hungarians, Poles, Slovaks etc and in my opinion they are no different to any other European nation. I've been to number of resorts however when the Russians have been in town and they are totally different. Speak to any Austrian ski school about what they think of them. The hotels, shops and restaurants tolerate them only because of the money they spend but they have thinned out over the last 2 or 3 years. Nowhere near the numbers there were before. Their behaviour can be absolutely disgraceful in everything from restaurants to sauna's.
snow report
Since I seem to be the only person who can answer yes to the OP.

Yes, me, missues two weans (10 and 11 currently) have done St Anton the last two years at half term. It wasn't particularly busy, however Fasching didn't tie in with England half term This coming year it does clash so it will be busier. We'll probably go anyway.

And since this is Snowheads, and people love a good gloat... we spent ess than £2.5k all in, both years. Unbelievably cheap. C Shocked
ski holidays
thanks for all your replies, although some are a little off topic !!! . will take you info into account when deciding. I think we have realised that catered chalet is not an option as it seems to be very expensive compared to what we are used to in france. we also think we will end up a short bus ride from town in order to get something self catered that is sensibly priced.
ski holidays
Sitter wrote:

my research indicated otherwise but I think I must have mis read things. I think Lech and Zurs are in Voralberg so maybe that confused things ?
latest report
@Markymark29, i may well PM you for more info. I have skied there before but was many years ago and requirements and experience are different. we are all competent skiers and not really phased by anything except exceptionally steep off piste. we prefer to ski on piste but can manage safer off piste. might be a week or so before I message you as still waiting for some info re time off school which may affect our decision as to when to travel. thanks
snow report
@NickyJ, what were the snow conditions like ? we usually ski at easter but go for the higher resorts of 1800m+. st anton is 1300m which is low.
snow conditions
backhojo wrote:
Sitter wrote:

my research indicated otherwise but I think I must have mis read things. I think Lech and Zurs are in Voralberg so maybe that confused things ?

Correct. St Anton is in the Tyrol, while Zürs and Lech are across the "border".
snow report
backhojo wrote:
@NickyJ, what were the snow conditions like ? we usually ski at easter but go for the higher resorts of 1800m+. st anton is 1300m which is low.

It isn't just the height needed for skiing but also the location if I understand these things.

We flew out mid April that year and you could ski back to the town at both ends. Yes it was getting a bit slushy on the afternoons, also due to freeze overnight / thaw during the day it was a bit hard in place first thing. Higher up the snow was obviously better but they were working hard to maintain all the home runs (from the town you can see the white lines of the runs up behind you.). We skied across to Lech a couple of times as well (via the bus as this was before the new lift). Found conditions very good over there.

In short we would happily go back mid April again and Easter this year is earlier than it was that year.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, But its all Arlberg ski region - kind of confusing eh?!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ,

FYI

Easter is early this season. Many places (Facilities) will close up after Easter (Easter Sunday) Mid April is closing week .

Skiing will still be good.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@NickyJ,

FYI

Easter is early this season. Many places (Facilities) will close up after Easter (Easter Sunday) Mid April is closing week .

Skiing will still be good.

Thanks, we are personally also stuck to school holidays, so not an issue, but thanks for the info.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, maybe a bit confusing, but still completely logical
Vor-Arlberg!
Vorarlberg has always been a bit separate from Austria, also because many Vorarlbergers are Walsers, 14th century immigrants from Wallis (Valais), Switzerland. One of the major families in Lech is called Walch, you will see. In fact your hotel is in the 'Walch' corner of town. You can also see it in the nearby Kleinwalsertal and Grosswalsertal
In 1918 Vorarlberg almost decided to become a Swiss canton!
ski holidays
TheGeneralist wrote:

Yes, me, missues two weans (10 and 11 currently) have done St Anton the last two years at half term. It wasn't particularly busy, however Fasching didn't tie in with England half term This coming year it does clash so it will be busier. We'll probably go anyway.

And since this is Snowheads, and people love a good gloat... we spent ess than £2.5k all in, both years. Unbelievably cheap. C Shocked

Where have you been staying to do the whole thing for £2.5K? Apartments I have seen are pricey and if you stay outside, I believe that you have to pay for parking each day and that alone adds to the total cost.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@Markymark29, maybe a bit confusing, but still completely logical
Vor-Arlberg!
Vorarlberg has always been a bit separate from Austria, also because many Vorarlbergers are Walsers, 14th century immigrants from Wallis (Valais), Switzerland. One of the major families in Lech is called Walch, you will see. In fact your hotel is in the 'Walch' corner of town. You can also see it in the nearby Kleinwalsertal and Grosswalsertal
In 1918 Vorarlberg almost decided to become a Swiss canton!

At the risk of this taking this thread completely off-track... as I understand it, in the context of Vorarlberg, "vor" translates to "in front of", hence Vorarlberg is in front of the Arlberg. I have read that the Holy Roman Empire decided what was Vor and what was Hinter (nb no such place named as Hinterarlberg).

The origins of Arlberg are uncertain, at least to me. There is a mountain pass, ie the Arlbergpass, but no region or mountain called Arlberg. Some say that the name comes from the Arlen bushes that grow prolifically on the mountains ("bergs") in the area. Sounds feasible.
ski holidays
pandas wrote:
TheGeneralist wrote:

Where have you been staying to do the whole thing for £2.5K? Apartments I have seen are pricey and if you stay outside, I believe that you have to pay for parking each day and that alone adds to the total cost.

Why pay to park when there are free busses every day?!
snow report
...and there is free parking in Lech and Zürs. Alpe Rauz was free, but I am not sure if that is still the case after the Flexenbahn opened last season.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 28-09-17 10:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, Still free at Rauz and Zurs. Also at Zug road just outside Lech (near the swimming pool).
snow report
Cars are not needed in St Anton Lech or Zurs.

Everywhere is possible with the lifts & busses.

Leave Cars at home.

Arrive by Train its much more reliable safer & easier.
snow report
@stanton,
Quote:

Arrive by Train its much more reliable safer & easier.

Ever tried catching a train from MUC Airport at 21.00 Friday evening to arrive in St Anton for skiing 09.00 on Saturday? Nope, I guess not.

Zurich trains work well, so long as you book a rip off Swiss flight and stay in an expensive ZHR city centre hotel Fri/ Sat night.......Munich, not so.

That's why cars work, they run after 10pm and before 6am... wink
ski holidays
@Markymark29,

It is also dangerous.

Arriving late (presumably after a full days work) when most exhausted/tired getting into a car and driving when not fully alert.

End of the day , unfamiliar cars, left steering, rightside roads, winter conditions, possible black ice , snow , reflective lights.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 28-09-17 15:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@stanton, Yep, but we break the journey at Innsbruck, arrive there about 23.00-23.30 and stay over, its gotta be done.....wouldn't call it dangerous, just more risky than sat on a train.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy