Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kronplatz - views and apinions?

Poster: A snowHead
Posted earlier about Gosau for views and our search for a family friendly Austrian resort has now come up with Kronplatz as they seem to have great childeren facilities. I must admit its the first time I hear about this particular ski resort. Could any snowheads who have visited kindly share their views and opinions of this resort and the greater area?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ozboy, I've skied it once on a Snowhead bash and it's fine if you're happy with a smaller area. If you want more, then you can venture to the Sella Ronda, although it requires a bus connection from the bottom of the Piculin lift and a Dolomiti Superski pass. The Piculin run down is a black and can get icy but there's always the option of catching the lift back down.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@geepee, does the Gassi ski area, which is closest to the local kinderhotel, ring a bell and is venturing to the Sella Ronda doable during the hours (10am - 3pm) when the kids are in ski school? We are generally happy with a smaller area providing there is some veriety and not just motorway cruising = we normally ski in Serfaus where we comprimise scale of resort for quality of ski school and kids general wellbeing on the snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ozboy, Just had a look at the piste map and the Gassi ski area is the other side of the main mountain from where we were at San Martino. You'd have to ski across to there to get the connecting bus, so not realistically doable. Probably plenty to keep you going for a week locally.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@geepee, Thanks for putting Gassi in the picture - their website and piste map is not as intuitive as what we are used to.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ozboy, If you feel that Serfaus / Ski Dimension is a compromise in terms of scale, then Kronplatz is way too small for you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We spent 5 or 6 days at S Vigilio a few years ago, Kronplatz definitely feels like a bigger ski area than it looks on a piste map. Perhaps that is because there are just so many options off the top. I enjoyed it there, I think Sylvester is probably the most enjoyable black I've ever been on, long and rolling, more like a steep red really, in fact I think it's a downhill course.

The town was really nice, better than Corvarra though it's a bit of a hike from the centre to the lift. Like all of the Dolomites the snowmaking is first class as only one piste was closed after a long drought and that was south facing. The scenery isn't typical Dolomites though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@red 27, The layout at Seufaus means we tend to spend most of our time skiing the man Surfaus face as well as the sunny Fiss side. We seldom venture too far away as we have to be back no meet the kids or others in our group in lessons for lunch.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at these earlier threads:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122934&highlight=

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119851&highlight=

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=125974&highlight=

Gassl is basically the Olang / Valdaora side of the Kronplatz mountain. Sankt Vigilio is more central and my preferred choice.

You would struggle to do the Sella Ronda whilst the younger ones were in ski school and get back for the ski school finish time. You can do Sella Ronda by bus from the bottom of the Piculin piste (which you can ski down or download in a gondola) but I find that a hire car is worthwhile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kronplatz is fine I think for a learner or early intermediate and also earlier in the season. Some/most of the runs down towards the valley in March were very grungy indeed, the worst wet cotton wool, and the Piculin lift/valley run to get the link to Sella Ronda can be very hard early am and very wet late pm. The other problem is that the ski bus to Sella Ronda from the bottom of the Piculin lift takes you to Alta Badia then a bit of skiing to get to the gondola at La Villa, there were bad queues when I was there in March, and then across to Corvara, forty minutes+ before you are even on the Sella Ronda circuit. The last bus back from La Villa to bottom of Piculin lift to get back to San Vigilo is quite early, 4pm ish, so you have to abandon Sella Ronda very early as it takes nigh on an hour to get back from Corvara to the bus at Alta Badia as it has to coincide with the closing of the lifts/pistes back to San Vigilo and Bruneck. I wish I had discovered Kronplatz as a learner - beautifully flattering and enormously wide blues. There is another resort you can access by train from the bottom of one of the Kronplatz pistes and I think the lift pass covers the train as well, name forgotten tho' as I did not do it.

San Vigilo looked a nice place to stay.

So as John H smith says - not the greatest of locations to be polite for Sella Ronda
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
countryman wrote:
I wish I had discovered Kronplatz as a learner - beautifully flattering and enormously wide blues.

San Vigilo looked a nice place to stay.

So as John H smith says - not the greatest of locations to be polite for Sella Ronda

It won't suit everyone. But it does suit me. Last season I went twice. This coming season I am booked to go twice.
Stay in Sankt Vigilio.
Get a hire car. Use it to drive to Corvara and do the Sella Ronda from there. Use it to ski the Hidden Valley. Use it to visit Kron4 leisure centre. Use it to visit the K1 bar for a bit of apres.
But if you have children in ski lessons, then forget the Sella Ronda if you have to be back at Kronplatz by the end of ski school
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ozboy, Gotcha - in that case Kronplatz might be fine.

There is nothing like Manser or the Fiss North side and as most runs radiate from the centre, there's nothing like the scope of S/F/L. But what skiing there is is good and it's a nice atmosphere - no yobs or hooligan skiing

I had 4 days in MountainSun's place a couple of year ago and wasn't bored.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What about Colfosco, or La Villa? Both have good facilities for children, both allow parents 'escape time' to get further afield if wanting too. Kronplatz is good, but depending on your proficiency and what you are looking for, may be a bit limited and you might get bored after 2 days of doing the same runs all the time. Yes there are some great top to bottom runs, again after 2 days you might find the novelty wears off. Yes you could nip up to Drie Zinnen by bus, or head across to Alta Badia area, but once you get over there you might kick yourself and think why didn't you base that side in the first place...... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all - think we have now narrowed it down to Lech where they have a found a good drop-off kinderclub or Club Med Serre Chevalier which is cheaper due to flights being included. Preference is Lech but stuggling to get my head around the costs of flights for four to Zurich, Friedrichshafen or Innsbruck as we have left it quite late this year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, from Colfosco or La Villa you could get across Kronplatz and back in time for the end of Ski School. snowHead
latest report
@Ozboy, Lech is a good choice.

Flights to ZCH should be cheapest - loads of choice and loads of airlines
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
Thanks all - think we have now narrowed it down to Lech where they have a found a good drop-off kinderclub or Club Med Serre Chevalier which is cheaper due to flights being included. Preference is Lech but stuggling to get my head around the costs of flights for four to Zurich, Friedrichshafen or Innsbruck as we have left it quite late this year.

Wait until the Lech hotel quotes come in, then your eyes will be really watering!! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy