Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Resort Cost Survey 2017 - Post Office

Poster: A snowHead
A general indicator of some costs in resort, but excluding accommodation, travel, breakfast & dinner. Includes pass, equipment hire, half day group lessons, coffee, soft drink, beer, wine and 2 course lunch on the mountain.
15/22 resorts survey have lower costs than a year ago, eg Morzine down 13%, Val D'Isere down 7.6%.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/my-travel/ski-report-2017

Cheapest Euopean resort totals/week...
Kranjska Gora, Slovenia£326
Bardonecchia, Italy£347
Bansko, Bulgaria£352
Morzine, France£400
Sestriere, Italy£410
Ellmau, Austria£432
Cervinia, Italy£443
Soldeu, Andorra£449
Ruka, Finland£453
La Thuile, Italy£454

A few Canadian and USA resorts included. Canada broadly double and USA more than triple comparable costs in European resorts.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Travel and accommodation must be two of the biggest costs, so a bit of a pointless comparison without them?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Useful survey IMHO. Different people travel from different places, so impossible to include travel. Similarly some will self-cater and others will stay in a swish hotel. The items that the Post Office have costed are common to almost all.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really, really please we don't pay those prices when in North America Toofy Grin
We'd never afford the 18 day trip Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It looks like a really useful summary of the additional costs you are likely to pay on top of your package price, if you are a Crystal customer on some kind of half board deal.

I suspect the lack of inclusion of travel and accommodation costs is more to do with protecting Crystal's commercial interests than any true lack of comparability. Plenty of costs on there that will not apply to many skiers - for example, the fairly significant ski hire and ski school costs, not to mention the 2/3 bottle wine they reckon the average skier gets through at lunch.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Useful if you want to see where these preselected resorts rank in terms of cost.

Not useful if you'd just prefer to see the 10 cheapest resorts.

Is a Morzine lift pass really only £143?

Those USA/America prices are an absolute joke.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well a morzine pass is €149

If you are a child, and stay only in morzine for 6 days

Full PDS is €260

But still pretty good value!

Surveys like this are just clickbait for fools like us at the part of the year when the season is tantalisingly close
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is a frighting report, not for what it says but the way it has done its maths. Its writers should go back to school. The headline figures contain, for Kranjska Gora, £325.47 which includes a 6 days lift pass at £146.06 but only a single cup of coffee at £1.26. The single item food and drink bill is then added to the 6 day lift pass etc cost. It assumes that 6 days ski hire is essential but only a single coffee. Sorry, @Gämsbock, but you only get one 1/2 litre of wine all week, no doubt to go with your single lunch.

If they cannot get that single set of units correct would you trust them with your money?

Now to the other bits: to most of us on this forum, travel and accommodation costs are essentials, whereas ski and boot hire are less important than the extra cost of transporting our own. Why are these figures not included?

Mind you the ski school prices were very revealing 6 1/2 days in Morzine £133, whereas in Val d'Isere it is £212. I thought ESF prices were fairly constant across France. Actually £212 seems a lot more than I can recall paying for ski lessons even accounting for inflation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, would you have liked them to use a £30 per night accommodation or a £300+ per night accommodation?

would you have liked them to use £80 return flight or £500 one?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A better cost comparison would be to compare costs for a) a couple off peak, and b) a family of four in half term. Then include average flight prices and pick some sort of accommodation e.g., 30m2 ski-in-ski-out for the couple, and 60m2 for the family. Harder to do, but would give a true comparison.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mikeycharlton, Yes, whatever it actually costs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE,

+1 totally agree, diabolical maths and quite glad I don't trust Post Office Money with my money if that's an example of their quality.

As for the Morzine pass the Post Office could have just about claimed for it to be £143 if they had taken the current price of €199, applied the 15% discount that was available for all pre-purchases prior to September 30 and used an exchange rate of €1.135 to the £1.

This is just another example "Journalist" maths, making up the numbers to suit the story you want to write
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
25cl of beer.... what bloody use is that??? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

25cl of beer.... what bloody use is that???

This!

I don't think they'd give you a 25cl in the Krazy kangaru, as illustrated in my round up of this seasons soirée to st Anton...,

http://youtube.com/v/-cVZ1-lvLIQ
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm 4 out of the 6 N American resorts quoted are Vail Resorts which aren't exactly known for being a budget option. Also ignores the fact that the lift pass price quoted basically buys you a season pass which includes multiple days at Euro resorts.

Not very informative.
snow conditions
It does seem to be a very selective list of resorts. They include a resort in Finland but none in Sweden. Seems a little arbitrary the way they do their calculations.
ski holidays
Well, I think it's fair to offer a comparison, even if the criteria aren't perfect. It's apples to apples.

Also, for some people different criteria are important. For me the deal breakers are travel and accommodation. When I start planning a ski vacation, I start with those two. If we can afford to get there and stay there, as a family of 4, then the rest is pretty much a non factor. Skipass/rental/lessons/food -- might be a total of 500-750 euros difference among 90 percent of Alps resorts tbh.
latest report
Another thread has the 2016 report -- the prices in that are unbelievable (Kranska Gora pass = £454...!)

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/my-travel/ski-report-2016
snow conditions
I think us snowHeads could do a much better price comparison than the PO and Crystal.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy