Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussie asking random Euro ski questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
sbooker wrote:
The main thing is I need to know that cards are accepted most places. I don’t want to be hauling around loads of cash if I can help it.

Yes, they are.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I for one am keen to see how this trip plays out.

Sounds like you'll have a great time and I'm really quite excited for you!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
sbooker wrote:
The main thing is I need to know that cards are accepted most places. I don’t want to be hauling around loads of cash if I can help it.

Yes, they are.

Except in Austria where card machines will quite often "break down" or not exist at some family run places.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Layne wrote:
sbooker wrote:

Yes, they are.

Except in Austria where card machines will quite often "break down" or not exist at some family run places.

If that happens in say the Zillertal valley is it likely I’ll be able to find a cash machine somewhere pretty easily? Surely (what I’m picturing as) larger villages like Mayrhofen will have an ATM?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cards were happily accepted in Kaltenbach (isnt that where you are going?). There was definitely a cash machine near the petrol station there. The only things we didnt use cards for were the apartment incidentals, the odd taxi and the train back to Innsbruck and that may have been because I didnt ask as had some folding to get through.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh yes. And paid cash for lesson as couldnt be arsed to get to the office and wanted to make sure the instructor got the tip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker, no problem with ATMs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have memories being left as a deposit ( as I happened to have enough cash for my share) while the rest of my crew went on a rally up the valley to find a working cash point once. And yes they took sufficiently long I wondered whether they'd pulled a fast one and just gone skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all. Sounds fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbooker, you wrote "I get the impression the Dolomites is as much about traveling between different villages checking things out as it is skiing? Sounds fun." But the travelling between villages is what you do when you ski (at least in the Sella Ronda area). It is the skiing. I am not sure of your standard but the Dolomites (except a few runs at Arabba) are easy skiing, covering long distances (but spectacular scenery). There is also challenging off piste, but you'd need a guide for that.
Bourg St Maurice is not really a ski town but OK if you want to do things cheap or visit several resorts in one week (Val d'sere, Les Arcs, St Foy, La Plagne, La Rosierre). 99.9% of Europeans stay in a ski resort, by the lifts.
By the way, you might have problems in some places booking one or two nights in one place. Most hotels want to let for a Saturday-Saturday week, because they can.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
@sbooker, you wrote "I get the impression the Dolomites is as much about traveling between different villages checking things out as it is skiing? Sounds fun." But the travelling between villages is what you do when you ski (at least in the Sella Ronda area). It is the skiing. I am not sure of your standard but the Dolomites (except a few runs at Arabba) are easy skiing, covering long distances (but spectacular scenery). There is also challenging off piste, but you'd need a guide for that.
Bourg St Maurice is not really a ski town but OK if you want to do things cheap or visit several resorts in one week (Val d'sere, Les Arcs, St Foy, La Plagne, La Rosierre). 99.9% of Europeans stay in a ski resort, by the lifts.
By the way, you might have problems in some places booking one or two nights in one place. Most hotels want to let for a Saturday-Saturday week, because they can.

We’ve got it pretty sorted now with the short stays in cities only. We’re not going to France - Aosta is as far west as we’ll get. I suppose we might get a day to La Thuile if conditions are right (that way we may just have lunch in France) Smile .
I don’t know what standard we are either as we’ve never had lessons but we can ski black/double black ungroomed runs in North America (albeit not super stylishly).
Because we’re skiing early season it is unlikely we’ll have a chance to ski off piste but if the opportunity arises we will hire a guide.
Incidentally we’ve managed to book Kaltenbach for 5 nights and Aosta for 6 nights. We’ve secured the accomodation through booking.com. Dolomites we went straight to the Portavescovo Hotel booking page.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oops, I hadn't looked how many pages your thread has had. There are not many people who ski off piste in the Dolomites (so not many guides) so if there is enough snow it can be really good for quite a while. But you are right: unlike the pistes, which are mostly on gentle meadows, the off piste steep gullies are rocky and need lots of snow, which you may not get so early.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy