Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt off piste instruction

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey snowheads

So somehow I've managed to persuade the fiance that we should go to Zermatt for our honeymoon (in early Jan). I'm keen to get her skiing off piste and looking for suggestions of good instructors/ski schools. Ideally I'd like for us to have the instruction together so I would just play around a bit whilst she learns the basics. She's pretty good on piste but when I took her out in half a foot of fresh last year she struggled a bit.

Reccos v welcome! Plus any advice on where to eat/drink/apres. Never been to Zermatt but it's always been my dream!

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt is not the best place for going off-piste, especially novices. To put it mildly.
Lots of glaciers, and limited snowfall (dry, inner alpine climate; very sunny Very Happy )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Langerzug wrote:
Zermatt is not the best place for going off-piste, especially novices.

Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Langerzug wrote:
Zermatt is not the best place for going off-piste, especially novices. To put it mildly.
Lots of glaciers, and limited snowfall (dry, inner alpine climate; very sunny Very Happy )

Except for the fact that it already has 3m of snow by mid-November 😉
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi - I had my honeymoon in Zermatt many moons ago, good choice!!
For off piste instruction specifically, I would suggest the lot below. A combination of the former Swiss ski school and the more expert entered Alpine Centre.
You will be spoilt for choice for food on and off mountain, a steer as to the sort of food/atmosphere you like will help narrow it down a bit
Congratulations meantime!

https://www.zermatters.ch/en/winter/node/55
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@randomhals, congratulations.

I would echo what @scotsgirl says about Zermatters. They are very good and very used to taking off piste novices. Make sure you specify that you want instruction as most people are only looking for guiding (they are happy to instruct so it won’t seem like an unusual request).

The comment above about Zermatt not being good for off piste is odd given the huge numbers who come just for the off piste. However the comment about glaciers does have some merit. For most off piste skiers going high up on the glaciers and skiing way down into the valleys is the greatest thrill. However for a novice skiing past crevasses (or in between them) can be offputting. You can always ask your guide (or specify to the centre when you book up) that you’d like to start off glacier.

Have you thought about starting out on the itineraries? The guide/instructor would be happy to go there with you. Stockhorn (the most impressive itinerary area) does not open until 20 January but lots of others will be. Itineraries are a half way house between piste and off piste: not groomed but avalanche controlled. Some are quite close to pistes so it is possible to bail out if needed. If your fiancé can get comfortable on pistes she should be fine (and more confident) off piste.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi randomhals and congratulations. Cant help you much with off piste ( pretty much all piste), however I have an excellent and deserved reputation for eating, drinking and apres.
In town on apres, Papperla is the top spot in my opinion, live band on most night and invariably highly competant. Hennustall coming down the final run from Furi has a reputation, but somehow have never found any live music here, go past and slow down to check out, but probably get staight to the Papperla.
Look at trip advisor for on mountain but my top picks for lunch - non are cheap obviously:-
Ranking order

Zermatt side
Findlerhof
Chez vrony
Zum Zee
Fluhalp ( sunday lunch - live band on normally )
Blattern
Blue bar - this is not table service, but good music, decent burger type food, great views.

Cervinia

Chalet Etoile
Bontadini.

Have a fantastic time
snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy