Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doping at the Olympics: numerous skiers suspended, testers posing as fans and reporters [re-titled]

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The 2006 Winter Olympics have opened with an early clampdown on doping: numerous cross-country skiers have reportedly failed tests. Testing officials are using subterfuge to gain surprise access to athletes.
Scroll down for latest developments and comment.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Eight Olympic cross-country skiers from North America, Europe and former Soviet Union states have been suspended by the International Ski Federation, on the opening day of the Winter Olympics in Turin.

The five-day suspension arises from tests which indicated abnormally high red blood cell counts (a hemoglobin test).

"This is not a sanction but a health measure ... When hemoglobin is too high, there is a risk the blood will be too thick and there could be a clot ... " FIS secretary general Sarah Lewis told Reuters in this report.

--------------------------------

Testing, doping and sanctions against offending athletes are expected to be major issues at the Winter Olympics. Under Italian law it is a criminal offence to take performance-enhancing drugs in sport. Normally the police in Italy would have powers to raid athletes' accommodation if tipped off, though there have been recent indications that these raids would not take place. The threat of potential raids has led to intense negotiations between the International Olympic Committee and Italian government.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 11-02-06 0:25; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Concerns over doping are already deepening, in advance of the opening ceremony. There is an open dispute between an Italian member (Giovanni Zotta) of the IOC's anti-doping commission and the IOC itself concerning other athletes who he alleges have tested positive for the banned substance Erythropoietin (EPO).

This further report from Reuters.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hermann Maier has reportedly made an extraordinary claim of being fooled into a surprise drugs test by investigators posing as "crazy "Herminator" fans".

This report from Associated Press / 90 WAFB
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know it's unfair, but it's my default assumption that all world class sportsmen/women are on drugs...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On a similar topic I saw a program on genetic abnormalities and how certain people in Finland have "naturally thick blood", and specifically how one family had a large number of world class nordic skiers (multiple olympic and world cup medals), because of this particular genetic trait. However, the downside to this was that almost all the family die of strokes and/or heart attacks before they reach the age of 50.

Should these people be allowed to compete because they have a genetic advantage over other athletes?

Or should they be classed as disabled athletes?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't share that level of doubt/despair, DavidS, but the world's leading figure in this field - Dick Pound, chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency - has spoken to the press about the seriousness of the situation:

This report from the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Quote:
"We will use any means [of obtaining tests] we have to," Pound said yesterday at a news conference.

Doping "is very clandestine," Pound said. "It is rarely accidental. You use whatever means you can. I have no compunction about using informants."
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:
Hermann Maier has reportedly made an extraordinary claim of being fooled into a surprise drugs test by investigators posing as "crazy "Herminator" fans".

Suggest he only really starts worrying when an Arab offers him £5m per annum for the next 5 years if he will go to the bathroom with him.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Four more athletes banned

FIS explains the blood testing procedures, length of bans, possible causes, etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The odd subterfuge to test Hermann Maier is explained further in this report from Yahoo! News/Associated Press
Quote:
The location of the test — the athletes' village in Sestriere — was unusual.

Also odd: The woman [apparently a test official, posing as a fan] kissed Maier on the cheek after the test "because she turned out to be a real fan," said Walter Delle Karth, Maier's agent.

According to this report, another tester posed as a journalist to gain access to a nordic skier.
-------------------
'Unofficial note': What chance for bona fide journalists submitting themselves to doping tests?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 11-02-06 11:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good question David Goldsmith, if you or I ever meet one, perhaps we should ask....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Normally fined that the drug cheats are in endurance sports such as cross country or speed skating.

Can't see what advantage someone would get from taking drugs in downhill or slalom, ski jumping or luge.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Super Eagle, The advantage in those sports is more usually gained during the training period from what I have read. Allows athletes to fine tune muscle gain, push training harder, recover from injury quicker etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In response to that 'should those with a genetic advantages be allowed to compete?' ... Lance Armstrong has a condition that results in him producing only 10% of the lactate from anaerobic glycolysis than the average man.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In baseball, the pitchers ability to pitch fast is apparently proportional to where his lower arm muscle attaches to his upper arm bone. Since it is a common injury to tear the muscle off the bone(!) I read somewhere last year that they are geting the surgeon to re-attach the muscle futher up the arm/away from the joint, thus allowing them more leverage and thus more pitching speed.

The report I read said that this gave a pitcher such a legal increase in pitching speed that most if not all pro pitchers have had this procedure done.

It also said that it was allowed by the authorities as an injury repair but not as an operation for it's own sake. So, of course, what is the most common injury amongs pitchers???

I guess with knee injuries amongst skiiers being so prevelant, we'll be seeing more powerful knees soon for a similar mechanical reason...

And on the natural selection theme, isn't there an Australian swimmer currently with size 18 feet? Should he be banned for having flippers, not feet? Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy