Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dirty Dog skiing helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone own or has owned a Dirty Dog helmet? If so, any good?

I was thinking of buying this one. https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Dirty_Dog_Crater_SnowboardSki_Visor_Helmet_XL_Matte_Black_White-(165218)

There is a 10% discount if ordered before they come into stock, making it £58.

I've seen their Trooper helmet; which seemed Ok, if a little cheap and cheerful.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-09-17 21:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't bother. Wait for Decathlon stock or even Aldi or Lidl ski week for decent helmets at a very reasonable price.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a gamble without trying it on for fit and comfort.
If you are a glasses wearer, an integral visor is the way to go with great unfettered vision.
The visors get scratched easily, can you get spares but I guess @ £58 you can scrap the helmet as a replacement visor for a premium brand would be a similar price.
Unless the visor seal to the helmet is good they are useless in foul weather once you get moisture inside.
Similarly unless you have a photochromic or interchangeable lens they are sub optimal in the wrong light.
I would go for Decathlon 550 and get a low light spare visor.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lechbob, It says visor, but that's a misprint. It doesn't come with a visor. I don't need glasses for long distances, only for reading. I just thought it looked a bit funky, instead of some of the others I've seen and tried on. Some make you look as if you have a pudding basin on your head. Yeh, I know it's not a fashion parade, it's about safety; but if you can have safety and not look like you're wearing a basin on your head, so much the better.

I tried quite a few on at Sail and Ski in Chester at the weekend. Anon, Scott, Smith, Giro, Bern, Salomon etc. I was a large in all of them, and they all fitted fine (because of the adjustment band). Some were slightly more comfortable than others, but none were uncomfortable. Having said that, none were as comfortable as my old Arai motorcycle helmets. But then they had loads of very thick padding. Naïvely I was expecting ski helmets to have the same level of padding. You live and learn.

Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My bad but your link doesn't work. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Lechbob, this one may work. It's the manufacturers web site. http://www.dirtydog.com/product/147-CRATER
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Awdbugga wrote:
Does anyone own or has owned a Dirty Dog helmet? If so, any good?

Yes and not died yet. Did smack the back of my head not very hard more or less first time out and snapped the goggle clip but went back to shop I got it from and DD sent me 2 replacements FoC. This it was just exactly how I fell rather than a design issue and can't complain about the customer service when they not only send a replacement for the broken part but 2.

That said I'd go with fit over saving a few quid - not really a saving if you don't like it and have to go out an buy a second helmet. I tried on a number of different makes and models before picking the cheaper of the 2 that fitted as well as one-another. The difference in fit can be significant and, a bit like your boots you're going to have your head stick in it all day so want it to be comfy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mjit, I've tried the Dirty Dog Trooper, but they only had a medium in stock, and I'm a large. It was OK, if a little cheap and cheerful. If I order a Crater and don't like it, or it isn't comfortable, I'll simply return it and try the high street shops. It's just that no one locally seems to stock the Dirty Dog brand. It's reassuring to hear the after sales service is good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy