Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended readings about skiing history/ancient skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'd like to know if you've got any recommended books/research papers I should check about skiing/ski use in ancient times.

So far I'm reading "The Culture and Sport of Skiing: From Antiquity to World War II" and it seems good, however since I am not that interested in modern times I am wondering how worth it may be to look for a copy of 1980's work "Nine thousand years of skis: Norwegian wood to French plastic" or even look at other titles I'm completely unaware of.

Thank you

Alfredo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about "Two Planks and a Passion" by Roland Huntford.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs wrote:
How about "Two Planks and a Passion" by Roland Huntford.

Will check it, thank you
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This might be the one time that David Goldsmith could make a useful contribution to this forum.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/story-ski-ing-New-Alpine-library/dp/B0000CICVP/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505650478&sr=8-2&keywords=lunn+skiing&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There aren't any books about skiing in ancient times because it didn't really exist, apart from some enquisative Skandi farmers. One book I can definitely recommend is Killing Dragons, the tale of a bunch of marvellously eccentric Victorian Brits schlepping up the alps armed with nothing more than stout boots, blind optimism and a packed lunch.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably not what you're looking for based on wanting to know about skiing in ancient history but I found this a good read;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Snow-American-Alpine-Book/dp/0930410815?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr John wrote:
There aren't any books about skiing in ancient times because it didn't really exist, apart from some enquisative Skandi farmers.

Actually for many years it's been taken for granted that the earliest people to use skis were in Scandinavia. However recent research (acknowledged by international historians of early skiing including Scandinavian historians too) shows that the oldest evidence of the use of skis may well be in the Altay region of what is now China!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair Pink, I don't doubt it. Sounds interesting, perhaps you should write a book...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
@Alastair Pink, I don't doubt it. Sounds interesting, perhaps you should write a book...

Some books about skiing in the Altay region of China have already been written, e.g the Report on the 2015 International Ancient Skiing Cultural Forum (which was held in Altay).

Here's a bit of background to the efforts of the Chinese Government to promote awareness of the role of the Altay region in the history of skiing. It's interesting to note that much of this is driven by the ethnic Han Chinese majority who dominate the Chinese Government, whilst as is mentioned in the article, quote: The ethnic Han “never used these boards, yet they are claiming an attachment to it,” said a traditional skier who flies the flag of Kazakhstan over his family’s log home in Khom, the village that shares its name with the river that runs through this valley. “Maybe it’s a national pride thing, but in reality it’s our ancestors that were doing it.”
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As regards more modern skiing history, another book is The Story of Modern Skiing by John Fry
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Dr John wrote:
There aren't any books about skiing in ancient times because it didn't really exist, apart from some enquisative Skandi farmers. One book I can definitely recommend is Killing Dragons, the tale of a bunch of marvellously eccentric Victorian Brits schlepping up the alps armed with nothing more than stout boots, blind optimism and a packed lunch.
I understand that, it was more necessity than entertainment, hence intended skiing/ski use, ancient stuff and skis.
I did read Killing Dragons and completely agree, was a worthwhile and interesting read.

bigtuboflard wrote:
Probably not what you're looking for based on wanting to know about skiing in ancient history but I found this a good read;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Snow-American-Alpine-Book/dp/0930410815?tag=amz07b-21

Will check it, thank you Smile

Alastair Pink wrote:
Dr John wrote:
There aren't any books about skiing in ancient times because it didn't really exist, apart from some enquisative Skandi farmers.

Actually for many years it's been taken for granted that the earliest people to use skis were in Scandinavia. However recent research (acknowledged by international historians of early skiing including Scandinavian historians too) shows that the oldest evidence of the use of skis may well be in the Altay region of what is now China!

Thank you for the suggestion, did check that and apparently some of the text is online too http://skiing.sport.org.cn/headpage/orginfo/2014-09-29/448840.html (english version)

pam w wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/story-ski-ing-New-Alpine-library/dp/B0000CICVP/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505650478&sr=8-2&keywords=lunn+skiing&tag=amz07b-21

Will check it, thank you Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've checked all your suggestions and indeed found awesome reads in them.

I however couldn't find find a copy of 1980's work "Nine thousand years of skis: Norwegian wood to French plastic" (author Ted Bays) in local libraries but only in out of country sellers.
Did anybody read/have a look at this book and could comment if it's worth buying and keeping it in one's own bookshelf?

Also, any other reading suggestions are welcome Smile

Thank you
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alfredo, One excellent book I didn't mention is Die Anfänge des alpinen Skirennsports - The Golden Age of Alpine Skiing by Max D. Amstutz ISBN 978-3-909111-79-4. Each page has both German and English translation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its not about skiing per se, but I really enjoyed reading 'Killing Dragons: The Conquest of the Alps' by Fergus Fleming, which is about the early explorers who started climbing in the alps through the 18th and 19th centuries. Under a tenner on Kindle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy