Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2017 / 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Another ski season approaching for Scotland.

Cairngorm is trialing a Snowfactory all-temperature snowgun this season.

Better late than never...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-41579304

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More info on how Scotland plans to use its new snow machines.

They want to open with piles of snow every year on Dec 1st.

https://www.inthesnow.com/booming-sales-snow-machines/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow is forecast in Scotland on Nov 1st. It is unlikely to hang around long though, it usually gets washed away with rain a few days later.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
100% will get washed away. Please let us have a season this year.........
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Going back to Scotland this year for the first time since 1988. Only a long weekend, but can’t wait. With going to Glenshee, this website seems to have all I need.

http://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=glenshee

Any other suggestions?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is "Niederschlog" snow?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A quick search says “Precipitation”.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bigtipper wrote:
Snow is forecast in Scotland on Nov 1st.

You should join the met office... For quite some time they've been unable to tell me with any likelihood of it being right what it's going to do tomorrow here, never mind in 7 days...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do not think it is a certainty, although at certain altitudes in Scotland with the temperature decline expected it is more than likely. It is possible that November 2 will be the day of snowfall, however what is certain is that the weather will turn warmer and rain will wash it all away.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last chance (I'm sure it won't be!) to contribute to Glencoe's fund raiser to buy a snow machine: https://www.pledgesports.org/projects/glencoe-mountain-snow-making-project/

They've done well, over1/4 way there Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

however what is certain is that the weather will turn warmer and rain will wash it all away.

Yep, April will get here eventually
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andyrew wrote:
Quote:

however what is certain is that the weather will turn warmer and rain will wash it all away.

Yep, April will get here eventually

I am an optimist usually, however there are limits....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andyrew wrote:
Last chance (I'm sure it won't be!) to contribute to Glencoe's fund raiser to buy a snow machine: https://www.pledgesports.org/projects/glencoe-mountain-snow-making-project/

They've done well, over1/4 way there Very Happy

Be good for them to get the machine.

Saw one demoed in California a while back.

It can puke out 3ft / 1m of snow a week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dougie wrote:
Going back to Scotland this year for the first time since 1988. Only a long weekend, but can’t wait. With going to Glenshee, this website seems to have all I need.

http://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=glenshee

Any other suggestions?

www.winterhighland.info is the most popular website for everything in one place.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is still a small amount of snow forecast for 1/11/17 at the top lift level. A larger 5cm fall is expected on 4/11/17 at mid to top lift level. Just a dusting, but one to watch.
latest report
Some snow is now forecast in Scotland on 7/11/17 at lower levels. It will get warmer and then all melt though, in April 2018?
latest report
There is snow on Glencoe now, and a bigger dump is expected on Monday/Tuesday. It is also forecast to get colder for a good week or two. Brrrrr....ill
snow report
Scotland today.

latest report
Great Picture
snow conditions
Some snow on the hills in Scotland, more forecast until Wednesday 15th November when heavy rain is forecast. Tuesday 14th might be a window of opportunity on any local hills. Wind forecast is low on 14th November, with plenty of sunshine and blue skies. There is a possibility of a slide on hills in Scotland on Tuesday 14th November, before it is washed away on Wednesday 15th.

I like to do things cheaply. Rather than buy a snow making machine, I would probably buy some thermally insulated tarpaulins. On Tuesday 14th November, I would cover all the lower slopes which would get the snow in Glencoe and Cairngorm with these tarpaulins to protect it from the thaw and rain the next day. Then they can be removed, as more snow and cold weather is due after that.

Unfortunately, the practical problems with this solution, would be that extremely high winds would come along and blow the tarpaulins away unless they had some very secure securing points and were completely flat and stretched out so no wind (or rain) could get underneath.

Sometimes I have dreamt of perspex snow tunnels (or domes) which can be erected and dismanted at the flick of a switch and then chilled inside. Again the practical problems of such a system would be rust, and cost. It is only practical in places where escalators to the snow slopes can be installed. However, open air tennis pitches can have roofs which open and close at the flick of a switch. Why not an indoor ski slope which can collect snow when it falls, and then close the roof when it rains?
snow report
The Lecht ski centre has now confirmed they are also taking delivery of a technoalpin snowfactory this year... thats 3 centres out of the 5 talking delivery this December, they must have got a group discount on the shipping costs!

Great to see some real efforts being put in to develop scottish skiing!
snow report
brock wrote:
Great Picture

Carbisdale Castle I'm sure in foreground, stayed there long time ago when it was a youth hostel, snowy hills must be Ben More Assynt then? Shame about the turbines but needs must I suppose.
snow report
Is there any advantage in marrying a snow factory to indoor skiing ?
Would it for example avoid having to cool the internal volume of the building to below 0c ?
The internal space would probably have to be conditioned to dry excess moisture, but perhaps there would still be cost savings?

Perhaps this is how they make snow already indoors ? I've never been.
snow conditions
Looking like some nice chilly weather in the Scottish mountains over the coming week with snow falling down to low levels. Guess The Lecht must have a fair old chance of another November opening...
latest report
who cares.
funny talking people with a chip on all 3 shoulders.
snow report
@Mr.Egg Get it up ye
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
who cares.

Ignorant post with tinges of racism....on a UK ski forum, surprised. Sad
ski holidays
it Will probably be the first season for ages that a uk ski area has not been one of the first to open in Europe Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
it Will probably be the first season for ages that a uk ski area has not been one of the first to open in Europe Sad

Glencoe opens tomorrow, not sure if there's any skiable snow, but chairlifts on, cafe's open....its open! Little Angel
snow conditions
Razz
snow report
Quote:
who cares. 
funny talking people with a chip on all 3 shoulders....Ignorant post with tinges of racism....on a UK ski forum, surprised. 

Ethnic bias, not racism (uncalled for nevertheless).

A Google search reveals:
Quote:
Race refers to a person's physical characteristics, such as bone structure and skin, hair, or eye color. Ethnicity, however, refers to cultural factors, including nationality, regional culture, ancestry, and language.

An example of race is brown, white, or black skin (all from various parts of the world), while an example of ethnicity is German or Spanish ancestry (regardless of race). Your race is determined by how you look while your ethnicity is determined based on the social and cultural groups you belong to.
ski holidays
Boring distraction; I just want to hear about the snow!
ski holidays
The top of Glencoe looking pretty good.

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/summit.jpeg

Needs a fair more to cover the rocks and to kick off the new season.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
who cares.

Ohhhh, get you !

Troll or real opinion, its tricky to decide ?

Either way, you are probably right that the only people who care are those who have the chance to ski in Scotland.

Can you imagine, actual mountains with snow on your doorstep? Rather than queuing for your allotted hour on 150 yards of slush in your local snowdome? Perhaps you should try it sometime if you ever get released. wink
latest report
@nelly0168, he's definitely a newly-arrived troll. Boring.
ski holidays
Well, looks like I might be relocating from London up to Edinburgh, I’ve always wanted to give domestic skiing a go, (and wanted to be in driving distance of mountains even more!) what would be the *best* skiing option from Edinburgh? Not necessarily the closest, am used to reds/blacks in the alps, an extra hours drive or so is no problem at all. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere!
latest report
@MountainIdiot.

All the areas have their good/bad points

Glenshee - I can make it in about an 1:45 from Edinburgh, the runs are fairly short but it is the most expansive. There is a great black right at the carpark and a good red in the 3rd Valley (Glas Maol). A good day out with minimal driving.

Cairngorm - the biggest ski area however many of the Scottish Skiers have not been happy as they have not really invested back into the lift system. They only seem to be interested building new restaurants. Loads queues unless you can go midweek I would give it a miss. It does have the most vertical and when fully open is a large area. Can do it in about 2:30 - 2:45 from Edinburgh. This is interesting http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-41899440

Lech - Very small and furthest away, unless you were local you would probably not make a point of going there.

Glencoe - The hardcore skiers area of Scotland they often keep it natural with a cracking red (Spring Run) and Black (Fly paper). It has the most interesting terrain but is is not for a beginner or faint hearted. Have done this in about 2:30, being on the West the drive is a lot more scenic than driving up the A9.

Nevis range - the furthest away at almost 3hrs. The front of the mountain is fairly small unless it is a good snow year. If everything is open there are a good few reds and blacks. The best part about Nevis is the Back Corries, an off-piste but patrolled area. It is pretty special when there is snow.

The conditions may be harsh but it puts hairs on your chest.
latest report
MountainIdiot wrote:
Well, looks like I might be relocating from London up to Edinburgh, I’ve always wanted to give domestic skiing a go, (and wanted to be in driving distance of mountains even more!) what would be the *best* skiing option from Edinburgh? Not necessarily the closest, am used to reds/blacks in the alps, an extra hours drive or so is no problem at all. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere!

As @roscoeh covers well in his post, you have a fair amount of choice from Edinburgh. Main thing will be to pop onto webcams / this thread to check conditions etc.

A few other things to consider;

Not sure what you do for a living or what time off you get - but the lift systems can be a little "1970s" for those used to europe - so a cheeky wee midweek trip on a day off will be much more rewarding than queuing on a sunny saturday.

It can be really cold ! A reasonable day in Edinburgh can still be baltic with horizontal sleet on Glenshee - make sure you are prepared.

Skis - having your own equipment makes in cheaper.........but sometimes the runs can be a bit thin and your bases might take a pounding - there are plenty of hire places, but obviously that increases cost - your call

I learnt to ski in Scotland - both on the Hillend dry slope and at Glenshee / Cairngorms / Nevis Range (school had a lot of ski mad teachers), and can thoroughly recommend it.

As long as you dont expect Espace Killy, you wont be disappointed, enjoy !
latest report
@roscoeh,

"Lech - Very small and furthest away,...."

Lech is definitely the furthest away. It's in Austria! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@Bergmeister, Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy