Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort for solo skier doing a recce for family trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Please help! Basically I'm the Mrs, I've been skiing twice and torn my ACL so no ski trip this year for me. I'd love to go again and to somewhere other than Borovets.

So my idea is, buy the better half a solo ski trip for his birthday, (confident intermediate) send him somewhere that's family/nervous novice friendly so he can get to know the area, then we'll go for our holiday the season after.

So a friend has suggested La Plagne and L'Alpe D'Huez. Looking at both I'm lost finding someone decent for a solo skier to stay and who to book through. He can do any dates so that's no issue either.

I've seen the bashes but again I have no idea if these would be any good for me and our beginner 3 year old son the following year.

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MuddyHunters, take a look at Esprit's offering, as I personally found them brilliant for when my girls first went skiing at ages 4 and 3. If you think that their setup would suit you when you go as a family, they only operate in a limited number of resorts, so that may help focus your search.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to SHs, @MuddyHunters snowHead . One possibility, unless your OH is particularly keen on skiing on his own, is to book him on one of the UCPA weeks, through Action Outdoors - they do all inclusive including lessons at all levels up to superhero and beyond. A sociable set up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MuddyHunters, I think you have a very lucky husband Very Happy

I would combine @NickyJ and @pam w's suggestions - so look at UCPA (via Action Outdoors in the UK) in resorts where Esprit go. There are a few other family operators that get good feedback on here too. None of the family operators are cheap but if the set up works for you, I think they're good value. Snowbizz might be an interesting alternative, but harder to research as a solo.

The bashes probably aren't what you're looking for, IMO. We had quite a few families on the End of Season bash (in Val Thorens) last year but that was unusual because school holidays were so late.

If you have a preference for a specific country, you'll get more suggestions. Don't rule out Scandinavia either, some great family resorts out there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MuddyHunters, welcome to SHs and +1 for good advice from @NickyJ, and @pam w,
Of the resorts Esprit go to, I think La Plagne and Les Gets probably best for your family needs. UCPA go to La Plagne, but not Les Gets.
Finding solo ski breaks at a reasonable price can be quite a challenge. What time of year might the lucky fella be going?

Hope your recovery from ACL injury going well. Plenty of advice and shared experience of this available on snowHeads too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
He would enjoy the Dolomites, intermediate heaven. Selva or Canezi can come up with single rooms. Fly into Innsbruck for a short transfer.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all so much for the advice. He can travel anytime. Although I'm excluding Christmas, first week of March and Valentines (he'll owe me 😂😂😂).

I'll take a look at UCPA. I'm getting the feeling that Esprit might not be my thing. I love kids and all that, but not that much.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @MuddyHunters,

We run a little company in La Plagne and are always happy to have solos and families - www.ice-fire.co.uk

We've currently got no single supplement on pre-christmas (16-23rd dec) and most of january, but we can be flexible if you want to drop me an email with preferred dates?

Happy planning!
Heather
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Heather

I have booked with Action Outdoors for La Plagne but will definitely be in touch for our family holiday!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds like a good choice @MuddyHunters, hope he has a fab time!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MuddyHunters, yes, good choice. Well worth full area pass to explore the Les Arcs side too IMO.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy