Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sixt to Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of spending a couple of days in Sixt, what is the link to Flaine like? It seems to be one of the last to open, if closed what options are there for getting to Flaine?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wheb are you planning on being there? You can get the ski bus to samoens and then take the gondola up to 1600 and ski over to flaine, if cascades is open then you can ski back to sixt, if not, you can ski back to samoens and catch the bus along to sixt. Hope this helps!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@LDM, I don't think there's a link to Flaine from Sixt.

You can ski "Cascades" back but the latter part is low and flat, iirc, having only done it once for the views higher up.

Uplift requires a bus to Samöens or further.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks, the first weekend in Feb. We are spending the last week of Jan in Flaine but have the chance to extend our break by a few days by staying in Sixt so was wondering how viable that was with links etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LDM, if you think of 'staying in Sixt' as 'staying a fair way out town in Samoens' then you will be fine. As @under a new name says there is no link from Sixt to Flaine, and Cascades is often not open or icy. There is a regular bus service between Sixt and Samoens, and then it's just the usual lifts once you get to Samoens. Well worth the (scenic) bus rides for a few extra days skiing. Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"Regular" maybe - but doesn't look like very frequent.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is about 3 miles from Sixt to Samoens from memory. There are a couple of runs in Sixt itself. Other than that you would need to travel to Samoens and take the gondola up from there. I would not rely on the Cascades run being open.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have heard that there are plans for a new lift maybe into the Gers Bowl from Sixt. But maybe I was imagining it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cascades is scenic but very easy and 'low and flat' understates it - hope you like poling! I wouldn't personally bother with Sixt (not that that's very helpful).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cheesie168, There are plans but I think they are still some way off from being realised. There was a consultation meeting in Samoens back in the summer but I don't know the outcome.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes: Sixt to Flaine: a bus then several lifts. Flaine to Sixt: a lift then the long Cascades blue run.

Obviously it varies from year to year, but when we visited in late January 2016, Cascades was closed and hadn't opened so far that season. I believe it only opened for a few days that year.

I did however ski it at Easter in 2004 (or so) and really enjoyed it. Sixt's local runs were also open then - enjoyable and very quiet, but you could ski them all in a couple of hours, and also often closed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If it only a couple of days think about ditching Flaine and ski the rest of GM. More than enough to do for two days, slightly cheaper pass and bus pretty straightforward. Also if the weather is a bit iffy Les Carroz offers good tree skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We will be skiing for the previous week in Flaine / GM but have the chance to spend a couple of extra days elsewhere / Sixt. The plan would be to leave most of our stuff in Flaine and just take minimum stuff for the night or two away. However we would want to know it is relatively easy to get back to Flaine to drop of ski's and collect luggage / meet pick-up.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The runs in Sixt are quite pleasant and worth doing, getting back to Flaine would be fine. Are you intending to ski to Sixt/back to Flaine with a rucksack full of your stuff?

Enjoy. I skied Cascades a few times and in and around Sixt but always wanted to but never managed to climb any of the waterfalls nor ski the famed route down form the Grand Platieres and have never made it back....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
galpinos wrote:
The runs in Sixt are quite pleasant and worth doing, getting back to Flaine would be fine. Are you intending to ski to Sixt/back to Flaine with a rucksack full of your stuff?

That would be the plan - thought it might be fun
latest report
@LDM, so it’s certainly doable. Is it cos you have chums in Sixt? I’m unconvinced there’s enough of a draw otherwise to make sense in my mind.
ski holidays
Its an area of the GM we have not ventured to, there is available accommodation for 2 nights (Sat & Sun) so maybe ski over sat afternoon, spend Sunday in the area and then return to flaine on Monday for pick-up in evening.

few places have available space for such a short stay but would be interested in any other suggestions.
ski holidays
@LDM, I think there are umm 3 short lifts? I’m sure there are better plans!
latest report
@LDM, its doable, but if you could find accom for the two nights in Flaine that would be better, and give you kore skiing time. I've skied Flaine 7-8 weeks, finally did cascades the last time we were there and was very under whelmed with it and wouldn't bother doing it again, it took the best part of half a day from Flaine to Sixt and then onto Samoens. I think there are a couple of place that offer individual nights accom.
ski holidays
@LDM, do not rely on being able to ski to Sixt - Cascades is closed far more than it's open. The alternative, if staying in Sixt, is to go to Samoens and get the bus.

How about staying in Les Carroz? La Bergerie looks as if it has availability for your dates, and they do night by night (not sure if the minimum is 2 or 3, though):
http://www.labergerielescarroz.com/en/cosy-chalet-in-les-grand-massif-ski-area-flaine-geneva/
snow report
Sixt is one of the most beautifully situated villages in France -- I can't speak to the skiing at the area in Sixt, but if there's snow it could be a fun break. There are definitely buses to Samoens and the gondola.

Another way to enjoy Sixt might be to do some snowshoeing in the Cirque Fer a Cheval (or, if there's snow down low, some ski touring on the path from Sixt to Samoens along the Giffre river). If you've never seen it, the hameau called Le Mont is a slice of forgotten Alpine life that's worth the short hike from the valley.
ski holidays
The plans have been approved to develop new lifts directly up to Flaine as well as 1200 new tourist beds in 2/3 years time- should be an exciting future for this lovely village.
ski holidays
L_555 wrote:
The plans have been approved to develop new lifts directly up to Flaine as well as 1200 new tourist beds in 2/3 years time- should be an exciting future for this lovely village.

In a way, that's too bad. I love Sixt precisely because it's out of the way, in a dead-end valley. I can see why they'd want to connect to Flaine but the commune should also be careful what it wishes for...
snow report
Thanks for the advice.
We decided to take the chance and book a couple of nights, should be fun what ever!
ski holidays
Certainly a way of finding out more about it.

As already posted, it's a very small discreet ski area including the village but not too far from Samoens.

As @Pasigal, indicates, it's a stunning area. We've visited in the summer also and walked further into the valley end, beautiful mountain scenery with Ibex / mountain goat? wandering around and crystal clear melt water sparkling down the streams. Enchanting.
snow conditions
Stay in Samoens, why Sixt?. You can take the bus to Sixt. Unless you really do want a lack of activity, Samoen would be much the better option I feel.
ski holidays
The whole valley there has chalet and rental space equally distant from Samoens centre, getting to the lifts along there is no big deal whichever part you stay in.

Its a fairly free choice really with sixt being one of the villages you can ski directly to when that route is open.
ski holidays
Quote:

I must get back to Sixt before that happens...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit late in coming back to this but thought it worth doing anyway.

So we went ahead with the week stay in Flaine and extended the trip with a few days in Sixt. Le Centaure stored the bulk of our luggage for us when we checked out on the Saturday morning and as usual couldnt have been anymore helpful. We packed our rucksacks with the min we thought we could get away with and set off for Sixt. Fortunately Cascades was open and provided a nice route, which all 4 of us enjoyed, even with things a little icey at the end.

The accomodation was booked through Air BnB and was only a 100m or so from the end of Cascades (top of the drag at bottom) Sixt wis obviously only very small compared to Flaine but was a nice way to spend a few days. We had a great night in a bar / cafe in the village and all enjoyed the little adventure. On the last day we hoped on the bus to Samoens and returned to Flaine to pick up our luggage and cab to airport.

Well worth doing if you fancy something a little different.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy