Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Dumb Product Idea?

Poster: A snowHead
http://rideeasy.co/

Basically it's a hook for snowboarders so that the chairlift safety bar takes the weight of the snowboard.
I can see chaos ensuing when snowboarders forget to unhook, especially on those lifts with automatic safety bars.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha, yes. Or the faceplants resulting from an unholstered hook snagging another boarder or skier!

Reading the "About Us" I can see where they are coming from; 22 minutes on lifts with no footrests would be a helluva strain on my skinny knee.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here in Austria there are very few lifts without footrests and those like that are usually quite short.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can't support a board on your other foot you really shouldn't be boarding.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah. Probably it's a product designed to be bought by people who know someone who snowboards and thinks they need some gift gomi.

It would hardly be difficult for anyone who really wanted to fasten their foot to a chairlift bar to do it without paying money. I doubt it would be strictly within the lift operators rules, and if someone tries to raise the bar on you it may be amusing to see what happens. And then there are those bars which are just alkathene pipes...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
so a metal locking cable reel down in the snow and slush zone... cue cable freezing and jamming entertainments.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@philwig, I suspect that the hook is designed so that it automatically comes off if someone raises the bar. Can't imagine they got to this stage without at least testing that bit.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It just hooks on to the bar. If the bar is raised it will just stay on it.

Mind you, I'd like to see someone raise the bar with a snowboard and someone's leg attached to it. Cue lots of WTF! moments.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@olderscot, if the hook is designed right then it could slip off when the bar is raised. If the bar went straight up then it wouldn't work, but because the bar also goes back it should be possible to do this.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are boards heavier than I thought? I would have thought 1 ski boot + binding + 1 ski would be about as heavy as 1 board boot + binding + board.

On a chair with no foot rest a skier will have that weight on both knees.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ecureuil, I'm not a boarder but I think the problem is that with only one boot in the binding the weight of the board pulls the foot in an unnatural direction. As opposed to us skiiers who have bindings slap bang in the middle of our planks so they are nicely balanced when hanging.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ecureuil wrote:
Are boards heavier than I thought? I would have thought 1 ski boot + binding + 1 ski would be about as heavy as 1 board boot + binding + board.

On a chair with no foot rest a skier will have that weight on both knees.

Its more that the tail of the board always wants to hang down which lifts the nose and twists your ankle.

There is an issue but not sure that this product is the answer. Infact I cant believe the more upmarket resorts (probably American) haven't looked into snowboard friendly lifts as a marketing gimmick at least.

I'd never really moan about it though, just something snowboarders have to suck up. Comes from us infiltrating what is an infrastructure set up from decades of ski dominated slopes!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, they're not heavier than you thought. It's another "let's figure out something to solve a problem which doesn't exist". You do take the weight of the whole board on one leg, which I think you would find is slightly heavier than one half of your pair of skis, but it's no big deal. That's what foot rests are for.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

problem is that with only one boot in the binding the weight of the board pulls the foot in an unnatural direction

This.
Particularly if it's windy you can get your ankle wrenched about a bit. Also when you're sharing the lift with other skiers and snowboarders who ride the opposite way than you do and you're trying to get your gear to occupy the same space. I've often ended up with people resting their skis or board ontop of mine thinking they're resting on the bar which then adds the weight of their gear to yours hanging on your ankle.

Thing is - you don't need a skyhook or bit of kit to sort this out, just a bit of sense and cooperation between chair occupants and everything is fine. For chairs with no rests, you just rest the loose end of the board on top of your free foot.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
manicpb wrote:
I cant believe the more upmarket resorts (probably American) haven't looked into snowboard friendly lifts as a marketing gimmick at least.

I think some of the more upmarket American resorts don't actually let snowboarders in Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Tubaski wrote:
I think some of the more upmarket American resorts don't actually let snowboarders in Toofy Grin

What a wonderful solution to the problem Very Happy

I keep thinking of having a go at snowboarding but have to be honest that the hassle with flat runs and lifts puts me off...that and the thought that I might enjoy it more than skiing, which would make the money I've spent on boots and 3 pairs of skis a bit silly Embarassed
ski holidays
The actual doing of it you may well enjoy as much as or more than skiing. The "admin" of it not so much though it's nowhere near as bad as poor downtrodden boarder threads would have you believe.

I usually rest my board on my rear foot and never use the foot bars - sometimes you have to orientate switch if you are goofy. Not hard.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, yeah, I'm not so good at bending over to touch my toes, so the strapping/unstrapping doesn't appeal. The comfy boots and sitting down in the middle of piste is positive though. Plus as I'm a 'lazy' skier I've often wondered if my style would be more suited to standing sideways. I'm going to give it a go at some point, it's just deciding when.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Burton are trotting out their new step-on binding system this season if you've been put off by the old ratchet straps. A bit of practice and you can clip in while moving. Proprietary system though so very specific boots and bindings which won't work with other kit.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, yeah I saw those, look really neat but just assumed they'd be silly cost.

I was originally put off by the number of people I knew that broke their wrists first time out Very Happy Then I spent a trip skiing while a mate boarded and he seemed to have more faff. And once I bought ski boots I was committed to two planks. Of course I was keen to have a go on a board at the EoSB but fell over and hurt my knee so didn't have the confidence to try something new.

Now it's just a case of waiting for the right time to give it a go. I don't want to try it either when it's rock hard or if there's loads of fresh. The 2018 EoSB might be best option, take advantage of the afternoon slush.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Now it's just a case of waiting for the right time to give it a go. I don't want to try it either when it's rock hard or if there's loads of fresh. The 2018 EoSB might be best option, take advantage of the afternoon slush.

It might not hurt as much, but consider the risk of drowning Toofy Grin
snow report
@Tubaski, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy