Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I get new skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Of course I know the correct answer is "n+1". Hear me out:

For:
- there's the Down presale at amazing prices
- my DPS 112s, which I loved, have zero base left
- I haven't bought any skis for three years

Against:
- I still have my great Whitedot Ranger 108s which are my go-everywhere ski
- I still have a pair of ON3P Wrenegades in 112mm / 192 cm, which are great in the right conditions (basically, no uphill and no quick turns)
- most worryingly, I tend to break myself every time I get new skis, though not actually skiing (2011: ACL done while learning to surf in the North Sea; 2014: tore my ankle ligaments AFTER finishing a fantastic Hidden Valley run in Verbier)

WWShD?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will you actually miss the DPSs?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Will you actually miss the DPSs?

Good question. I'd need to replace them with something similar, looking at Countdown 114s from Down skis. Of course I can still keep the DPSs, just need to avoid hitting rocks. Or pebbles. Or pretty much anything harder than ice.

Not too keen on spending more than 1000 euros for new carbon DPSs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@horizon, why?

I have to say I can't be @rsed carrying multiple skis these days. Not sure I ever could. Other than the SGs.

My old Mantras did everything. My Bonafides arguably better.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, while I love the Whitedot Rangers, I enjoy skiing deep powder a bit more on a wider ski with a bigger shovel, and I'd like to keep a light binding for the 50% touring ski and a slightly burlier one for the 80% downhill ski. And in very tricky snow (breakable crust for instance) I'm more comfortable with that bigger shovel / bigger rocker.

But you're giving me a valid answer! I can definitely use the WDs for everything, they're absolutely great skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@horizon, why?

I have to say I can't be @rsed carrying multiple skis these days. Not sure I ever could. Other than the SGs.

My old Mantras did everything. My Bonafides arguably better.

The way (and where, how often, etc) @horizon skis he absolutely gets the benefit of proper fat skis! You should really try them in the proper conditions too wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon wrote:

For:
- there's the Down presale at amazing prices
- my DPS 112s, which I loved, have zero base left

Against:
- I still have my great Whitedot Ranger 108s which are my go-everywhere ski
- I still have a pair of ON3P Wrenegades in 112mm / 192 cm, which are great in the right conditions (basically, no uphill and no quick turns)

Assuming the Wailers need to be retired, you could 'replace' them with the Wrens for resort and add a touring binding to your 108s.

Or you could look at the Down 114s. I haven't skied the Wrens, but compared to the W112 the 114s are maybe not quite as good in untracked pow in the trees, but definitely more stable opening it up at speed, and better in crud and chop. I think they'll be a bit easier and less of a freight train than the Wrens (though can def still charge - just check what Mickael Bimboes has been up to and will get up to on the FWT this year!); more nimble when it gets tight and def lighter going up.

Would you want to tour on them? Obviously the new 114L is lighter and will be great for powder touring. But the standard 114 comes in shorter lengths which might be better if you're skinning on them regularly in more conditions? Though tbd you still have the Rangers for those duties!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, I have skied propr-ish fat skis, CMH modded (unrockered tail) Coombacks ?110mm + ? In a week of BC powder.

Perfect tool for the job.

Not something I'd want to ski on a well groomed hooning day round Monterosa.

Just saying.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, no, but if all your skiing is focussed on offpiste (like Horizon, who's an excellent skier) there's little point compromising performance there for the odd day you end up doing nothing but groomer-zooming
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@clarky999, this is, to be fair, a fair and reasonable point.

I fear my skiing is compromised...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:

I fear my skiing is compromised...

Somehow I doubt it wink I think you just know what you like and what works for your style!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, no really, I do not ski enough steep and deep, actually not enough skiing at all! It is testament that I now look forward to the x-country track being open! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@horizon, Ragnarok CL and Quiver Killer your bindings across from your Rangers.

Simples Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@under a new name, no, but if all your skiing is focussed on offpiste (like Horizon, who's an excellent skier) there's little point compromising performance there for the odd day you end up doing nothing but groomer-zooming

Yeah but its not like he doesn't have other uncompromised options already!

I note quite a few people end up with several pretty similar skis - I'm not sure I see the point in that either. It would cause me ski locker angst - which should I be on today?

I have R108CLs as daily driver
Redeemers for real powder days
old stockli stormriders for when either it hasn't snowed for ages or I'm being sociable with less able skiers and still want to get some satisfaction from haring around the piste

(Also have a pair of old line prophet 100s with fritschis which hang around in the cave ready to subvert visiting mates into a bit of easy touring).

I reckon I have all bases covered really.

Well - could argue the case for a narrower lightweight touring set up but for the amount of days they'd be used I'm better off hiring.
And I do find myself fondling cheater GS skis but the stocklis have to die first.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jedster,
Quote:

old stockli stormriders

When you need to replace them, try the Bonafides. But go a little shorter than you'd expect.

Or... I have a slightly used pair of 190 factory full bore can't buy in the shops FIS GS Rossignols... good price to a fine fellow...?? wink - a truly lovely ski and for not a lot of bucks
snow report
I've got a bit of a choice these days (fat Bents, all round Enforcers, SLs and GS) but if I had to take only one ski on a trip it would be my 120mm's unless I was going to be sticking mainly on piste. If rocks were a big danger then my Enforcers as my oldest ski would have to take the hits.
snow conditions
Countdown 114Ls ordered Toofy Grin

I dreamed of them (literally) last night, so I had to.

(Sorry @spyderjon, couldn't resist the shape and the price. And God playing soft-voiceover ads to me, around 6.15 am)
latest report
I'm not trying to make light of addiction but the OP may as well ask a gathering of drunks if another drink is a good idea.

I agree with every bit of advice given.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy