Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Denver Car Rental PSA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Avoid Advantage, which is also co-branded as EZ. I made the mistake several years ago on a ski trip, but inadvertently repeated last month while going out for a fishing trip. 1.5 hour wait for the line inside their office to actually get my car. I realized when I got to the desk finally that the primary explanation was that the agents were spending a great deal of time with each customer trying to upsell to nicer cars, more insurance, etc. I was rude as hell with the agent, and got past him in about 3 minutes. When I left (at 11 pm) the line was just as long as when I arrived, so the patrons at the end of that line were going to be there past midnight.

If you just do an aggregator type search, this company will routinely show up a few dollars per day cheaper than competitors. Trust me, it's not worth it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thing to watch is that they are the Europcar partner there. Ended up with them once through this - would agree not worth it, most reviews of car rental branches I take with a pinch of salt as only people with a gripe review them but I think it is justified - noticeably older vehicles and blatant lies as they assign you a car smaller than you have paid for.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it just Denver or in other location too?

Never used them so far. But would watch out in the future.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good tip. Car hire remains a PITA, whilst most other travel stuff has become fairly slick (airline apps etc). Even though they have all your details, they seem to be tapping away at the keyboard forever. It's about time they clamped down on the industry for pressure selling and scare tactics.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Themasterpiece wrote:
Good tip. Car hire remains a PITA, whilst most other travel stuff has become fairly slick (airline apps etc). Even though they have all your details, they seem to be tapping away at the keyboard forever. It's about time they clamped down on the industry for pressure selling and scare tactics.

The system is rigged against the unwary and desk staff giving the scare sell when your brain is knackered after a flight is a major trap. Prepaid through a broker and full inclusive is the only way to go in the US for peace of mind then just firmly decline offers of upgrading for "only $20 a day" as it will be at least double by the time all the fees and tases get loaded on. US car rental firms seem to have become noticably stingier over the years inventing new classes of vehicle and assigning cars to classes they don't belong in like a Corolla described as Full-size and city cars like the Fiat 500 described as compact. I've even seen them upsell people to an SUV on the basis "it's illegal to drive a 2wd in winter in the mountains" and then have no guilt whatsover that the SUV is itself a 2wd version.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been skiing from SLC for a number of years and have always rented a car. I used an online agent rentalcars.com because by booking through them CDW included. The actual rental car company was always Alamo. The car rental building and parking lot is 25 yards from the airport exit door 2 minute walk. The car pickup process on average took less than 15 minutes except on one occasion when they had no cars and I had to wait maybe 30 mins. They then gave me a new V6 Mustang instead of my Focus. Woo Hoo.

I had to use the insurance twice and there was no fuss or nit picking. Just go in and swap the car at the airport and spend a few minutes on the phone with the insurance company.

The first few times I was anal about getting every chip and scuff documented and photographed as I had heard horror stories about people being hit with big bills for body damage. Now I still check but the car handlers at the airport assure me that providing it is not a big dent or big score they don't care.

Skiing SLC again this winter and booking through rentalcars.com again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@abc, Denver is the only place I have used them, so unsure of other locations. I would suspect the let 'em wait while we upsell is a company wide business practice, however.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TQA, I don't have much experience of rental in the US - glad to hear things have gone well for you. When you say "used the insurance", what was the circumstance and was it the default cover or extra insurance you had?

The horror stories are real. I was collecting a car whilst they screwing guy next to me taking £1000 off his credit card. When he said it's a small scratch the guys response was "I'm not a mechanic, so we take the full amount and you'll get a refund if it costs less." No chance of seeing that money again.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Using the insurance
case 1 I had a tyre deflate with a large piece of plastic stuck in the sidewall. I was expecting to have to pay for a new tyre but they said because of the size of the piece of plastic it was covered.
case 2 I had a side window broken by a casual thief nothing stolen except my candy bar stash which was hidden in the center consol.
No cost to me and no deductible.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TQA, that's because you bought the extra insurance (CDW)!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy