Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
@mountainaddict, yeah I think it’s something like €800-900 when I looked at the cost of underground parking

Besides the buses are reasonable anyhow aren’t they? To pop down to Bourg if you want? I wouldn’t be getting a car boot full of shopping anyway. Probably still cheaper for me to use the buses than to pay petrol for almost 900 miles each way plus tolls plus Euro breakdown cover plus ferry/tunnel each way
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@VolklAttivaS5, Pretty much covered previously but I think the addition of the Carrefour supermarket was a bit of a game changer. More choice, plenty of fresh produce, bread baked on the premises. Unless you're chalet hosting and need to fill a car to the roof with Lidl loo rolls then a vehicle in resort will be an expensive luxury.

Once you're established in resort I don't think it would be too difficult to buddy up with someone for a trip down to Bourg.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GeorgeVII, yeah I’m thinking it would be a lot of cost and hassle to bring it and I’d probably not end up using it half the time. There are the stopover hotel costs on way down and up as well for me based on previous experience of needing zzzz big time both ways

The other option is to stay down in Bourg, do a Paradiski season pass and go to Tignes Ste Foy 3V etc sometimes depending on what I fancy in which case I could probably do with having the car but parking down there is included with most of the accommodation as far as I’ve seen
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@VolklAttivaS5, I'd be tempted to have the car and stay in or near BSM. In 3 months it would be wonderful to cover EK, Paradiski, 3V, La Ros/La Thuile and St Foye. All fairly easy to reach from BSM.
I should think the cost of bringing a car could be outweighed by better value accommodation and living costs. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Palafour opened today. But that was it. You could go to the top and come back down. Spent the afternoon playing about in the area between Tichot and Golf. About a foot in places but not enough yet to cover all the rocks. Sadly I did not do it justice. Vis was low.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@intermediate, yeah the BSM idea with car is certainly an option on the shortlist
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@VolklAttivaS5, wasn't there a pass covering all 3 major Tarentaise areas, called Alpine Legends? Don't know if it still exists or economics of it but I bet some snowHeads will.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyway, back to the weather. Not looking too shabby for the PSB...

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Tignes/6day/mid

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/forski.aspx?resort=Tignes&country=France snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well as its nearly Christmas according to the radio lets start with Johnny Mathis:

Sleigh bells ring
are you listening
in the lane
snow is glistening
A beautiful sight
we're happy tonight
walking in a winter wonderland

That was pretty much the scene around the villages this morning (well maybe not the sleigh bells) but the sun was out, it was very cold and the winds were light. I had a charge round the Palet sector which was in very good condition. You just have to be a little careful as you transition from the real stuff onto areas of artificial snow - its definitely a different texture. The sky started filling in quite quickly and the breeze picked up a bit so I finished at lunchtime and came home via the infamous Trolles (you have to access it from the top of the Paquis lift) which was fine but only half width after you leave Lemmings Ridge. There have been one or two light showers of snow this afternoon. Here's a shot across the resorts:

The weather forecasts are settling down a bit now and we are expecting more clouds and light snow this evening. the wind will build up over night. Tomorrow morning will be cloudy but these will soon break to give sunny periods. But the wind will be cruel to both skin and chairlifts, cover up well and expect the high lifts to be closed. Tomorrow will definitely put the B in Baltic. Sunday will be mainly sunny and there will still be a strong breeze which should allow more lifts to open but the windchill will still be there. High pressure seems to dominate from Monday to Wednesday, it will be mainly sunny with the odd fluffy cloud on the peaks and mercifully a little less cold.

For those travelling tomorrow the roads over here should not be too busy (this morning was chaotic around Chambery with snow and ice on the motorways). For the air travellers I can't see any problems in the UK with the exception of Glasgow where there is a chance of fog until just after breakfast. Over here the wind will be quite gusty so standby for a bumpy arrival at Geneva and Lyon. There may be light snow at Lyon but with 2 runways all should be fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just arrived in Brev, after a pretty horrendous drive down.

Off loaded the Tunnel at 2330, and within 10 miles there was snow on all lanes and coming down hard. Down to one lane for a good 4 hours driving, then became OK, until an hour before Lyon, and the poo-poo hit the fan. Massively heavy snow.
6 inches or so on the outside lane, and a couple on the rest of the lanes. Then sat in queues, not moving for a long time, due to exit ramps being impassable which led to backing up on the motorway.

The trucks then couldn't get grip on the hills, leading to more queues! Scattered amongst all this were the usual bumps and breakdowns!

Finally cleared Grenoble areas, and then all was well the rest of the way.

All on all took me nearly 20 hours, with only stops for fuel and toilet.

But Brev is beautiful, and fully covered in snow! Cant wait for the morning to get my skis on.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Philip1972, Going via Grenoble is a bit of a detour.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rjs, Really? Which way do you go? I just follow Mr Sat Nav, and would welcome any good ideas!

But I dont actually go to Grenoble, but drive past the signs while going from Lyon to Chambery.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Philip1972, Ok, you didn't really go near Grenoble.

I usually cut across from Bourg-en-Bresse to Chambery using the D1504, will try going back that way tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi - does anyone know when most of the Val D lifts are planned to open? There are quite a few with "planned" on the status but i cant find an actual date! Also what does "NCO" mean? Looking at the week of Dec 11th - forced to take time off work but don't want to plan a week there only to find nothing much open. What are the current conditions like - from what i can see it looks pretty good?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BMG, See my post from yesterday - they are playing their cards close to their chest whilst they concentrate on racing. No idea what NCO means but on the French side it is Haut Periode - translates as outside (or not in) season.
snow conditions
Was just about to ask the same question but for Tignes side, due on 12th .....
snow report
Also due in Val d on the 12th. Never been to either Tignes or Val d’Isere and am very excited and hoping there will be a lot open.
ski holidays
@BMG,
I think all depends on the weather next weekend. As has been said they are not saying much. Despite snowfall claims there are plenty of stones about and brown patches on many runs. If no more significant snowfall I think they willl try and preserve things for the Holiday season.
Having said that the skiing has been pretty good and where would you rather be?
For mid Dec it’s pretty good in the EK I would advise all to come - there is plenty to do.
snow report
Just phoned the lift pass office. If you have a pass valid for this season you do still get the discounted rate👍
snow report
@BMG, @exile43,
Keep an eye on this:-
http://www.tignes.net/ski-map
snow report
Or more details here for Tignes:
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
and next door:
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

I have also downloaded the Tignes App which has an offline mode (indeed I haven't found a way of turning it to online (ie data) but it updates regularly by wifi and sends you alerts if things are shut before leaving the chalet. Also has a piste map and events.
latest report
On the Christmas carol theme there is a perfect one for today:

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow

There was a bone chilling wind, it was very cold (the snow was squeaking) and Lac de Tignes is now frozen over, but the cloud was not too thick so the light was not bad. There was even a brief glimpse of the sun So it was a day for short bursts and then a coffee! There had been a light dusting of snow overnight so the pistes were pretty much as yesterday. For the off pisters there are only limited pockets of snow, we need another couple of storms to thicken the snowpack....... Meanwhile he is a picture of Trolles to give you an idea of conditions today:

Tomorrow will be mainly sunny there may be the odd errant cloud to the North which may scatter a few grains. The wind will be lighter in the morning so it will feel warmer but watch out tomorrow afternoon as the gusts may get up and threaten the operation of the highest lifts. That wind may still be around at breakfast time on Monday but it should soon slacken to leave a pleasant day with sunshine and a few fluffy clouds. Tuesday and Wednesday look identical - blue skies and sunshine and temperatures around freezing at lunchtime - so much better. It then all starts to change on Thursday as a storm approaches from the west, the timings are uncertain but between Thursday and Friday at some stage it is probably going to be a wild one with high winds and significant snowfall.

For those flying tomorrow it will be fine over here, in the UK it will be predominantly drizzly and there is a reasonable chance of early morning fog at Manchester, Luton and Stansted which could slow things up a little. But when you get here it will certainly be worth it.
latest report
Kenzie wrote:
@BMG, @exile43,
Keep an eye on this:-
http://www.tignes.net/ski-map

Thanks soooo much ....... also found a report on Tignesnet.com that shows a full list ...... if it stays like this that’ll do me nicely
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Or more details here for Tignes:
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
and next door:
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

I have also downloaded the Tignes App which has an offline mode (indeed I haven't found a way of turning it to online (ie data) but it updates regularly by wifi and sends you alerts if things are shut before leaving the chalet. Also has a piste map and events.

Thanks for this .....
ski holidays
A glorious day today but it was a bit parky, there was the odd bit of cloud down the valley but up here we had unbroken sunshine. However, the cold was quite intense. The resorts were busier today, especially around Tignes where 3000 students arrived yesterday - the car parks and the roads are rammed with 60 coaches. The pistes are generally in good condition, but an errant snow cannon had managed to make the approach to the Marmottes lift icy. The Mont Blanc lift has also opened in Val D'Isere making navigation a bit simpler. The snow around Grand Pré was very good and just so you don't forget where you are there is some new artwork at the top:

It was too cold to wait to get an uninterrupted view!

This week is going to be a 'game of two halves'. High pressure is set to dominate for 3 days, tomorrow will be a little bit warmer and there may be the odd cloud around the peaks, I suspect there may be a bit more breeze in the afternoon. Tuesday and Wednesday will be glorious, unbroken sunshine and a little warmer again. Enjoy it while it lasts because its all going downhill on Thursday. The day will start OK with sunny periods and snow showers but it will deteriorate through the afternoon into a snowy and stormy night, this poor weather will last through Friday and potentially into Saturday. Hang on to your hats but get your snow shovels ready, there should be a significant fall.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, on the skiplan Val board, it does look like a lot is still closed. Do you know if much is likely to open over the next week before we arrive?

Also,

can I hope that the students will have fecked off home by next week? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
My yearly question... last year was for Val Claret this year Val -

Where should I book for New Years meal???

Two yers ago we did the place down the stairs next to the Billabong cafe(forget the name)... was lovely... also ate at fondue factory and la Casserole... Staying in a hotel but normally eat out three of the nights...
ski holidays
We spoke to some of the students on lifts and they seemed very pleasant and enthusiastic. They are Oxbridge after all.
We avoided the Tignes crowds by heading to the La Fornet glacier. Excellent snow there and en route, Solaise, La Daille,Madelaine, etc. Chilly but not enough to stop us sitting outside at the restaurant on the Col De L'Iseran. Very good goulash soup warmed the cockels.
Lessieres lift only running one way, from Le Fornet, allegedly due to manque neige. We got there via Germain Mattis to Laisinant then short bus hop. GM was Ok but a few small loose rocks lower down.

Orange showed as open on e-boards but had netting across. Many of us believed the e-boards and the run was very good, with interesting snow cannon made humps at intervals.

Arcelle was closed, as were the main routes into Val D. Face obviously being saved for men's downhill. The now red graded Santons (about time) too. Avi risk?? Epaule de Charvet too, although it looked good from distance and there were many tracks down it.

All in all a fabulous bluebird day!
snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecramps, You are right, Val play their cards close to their chest regarding lift openings, occasionally they do give us 24 hours notice via Radio Val. So the honest answer is don't know. At least in Tignes I know enough people to go and ask (drinking with pisteurs had advantages!). I have attracted flak in the past for my comments on Val concentrating on staging racing rather than opening slopes for fare paying punters, but that is their choice and the place has such a cachet that they probably don't care anyway. On a positive note all those buses will be leaving Saturday! Are you in Val or Tignes??

@scottydonald, I don't know Val well but have you considered Barillion underneath the Rosée Blanche in La Daille. Its all the same family run business and is less likely to break the bank than the centre of Val. Having said that Tignes seems to be able to charge as well. If you want the NYE Dinner in the Suites de Nevada (one of the Bouvier chain) its €250 each - booze not included Shocked

@intermediate, The studes are great on the lifts but Bollin was a bit like the Cannonball run yesterday. As one of my ski buds said - the ski muppet quotient is high today.
latest report
@chocksaway, staying in Val, so will be hoping the link stays open by the looks of things Madeye-Smiley .
We were unfortunate enough to encounter varsity week in Tignes a few years back. Yes they were chatty on the lifts, but many were ignorant and aggressive on piste. Two girls we encountered at the bottom of Les Lanches (dragging mrsthecramps off it as we all sat down, causing the embarressing stop) we found out on the way up had never skied, not even 10 yards, and had no lessons booked. They had hired skis and boots, walked to the lift and got on it, badly. We left them in a heap at the top.
ski holidays
@thecramps, Couldn't agree more, I must have had my polite head on. Ambition getting the better of ability springs to mind.

There was just the odd cloud against a perfect blue sky this morning, it was a little less cold (only a little though). A lot of the weekenders had gone home and the Varsity team had a big party last night so all in all it was much quieter. We headed over to Solaise which is in very good condition and then via Germain Mattis (mostly artificial snow) to the Laisinant chair and to Le Fornet. You still cannot ski between the bottom of the 'up and over' and the top of the Le Fornet Cable car but the cannons were blowing hard - so hopefully soon. I was quite surprised by the lack of natural snow around the Glacier (Pays Desert would be a non starter off piste), luckily they have had the cannons running so the snow was good on the Glacier pistes but not the perfect corduroy that you come to expect over there. We came back to Tignes via the 'up and over' and down Rhone Alpes into Val Centre, which was in good condition. There is a hive of activity in Val as the preparations go on for the Criterium which starts on Friday and runs for 10 days.

Here's a pic of a relatively quiet Solaise:

We now expect 2 days of blue skies and sunshine, slightly milder temperatures and little or no wind. In fact the full on Dame Vera.... The deterioration in the weather has been delayed a little so Thursday will start as a nice day but the breeze will pick up through the day and cloud will encroach from the north west (watch out for the hat forming on Mont Blanc). By the middle of the night it will be blowing a gale and it will start to snow, this will continue through Friday and into Saturday. It will not be continuous snow, more showers but overall accumulations will be significant (20-30cm as an early punt.) There may be a brief respite on Sunday before all hell breaks loose again.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:

@scottydonald, I don't know Val well but have you considered Barillion underneath the Rosée Blanche in La Daille. Its all the same family run business and is less likely to break the bank than the centre of Val. Having said that Tignes seems to be able to charge as well. If you want the NYE Dinner in the Suites de Nevada (one of the Bouvier chain) its €250 each - booze not included Shocked

thanks for that... will look into it... hopefully get a few more replies...

thecramps wrote:
@chocksaway, staying in Val, so will be hoping the link stays open by the looks of things Madeye-Smiley .
We were unfortunate enough to encounter varsity week in Tignes a few years back. Yes they were chatty on the lifts, but many were ignorant and aggressive on piste. Two girls we encountered at the bottom of Les Lanches (dragging mrsthecramps off it as we all sat down, causing the embarressing stop) we found out on the way up had never skied, not even 10 yards, and had no lessons booked. They had hired skis and boots, walked to the lift and got on it, badly. We left them in a heap at the top.

don't be so cliche... I have a friend 35, runs estates up in Scotland and is with them... he was a former head of BUSA and tries to go when he can...
ski holidays
I remember my first trip to Tignes, that was a Uni trip after I graduated in Dec 1990, there were 2 of us. How times have changed.
snow conditions
@scottydonald, Half of my family comes from an estate.
snow report
@thecramps, priceless Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@chocksaway, @thecramps, yes the approaches to Val C from Toviere side were not for the nervous yesterday afternoon. Piste Henri like the Wacky Races with many unconsciously incompetent sliders creating mayhem rolling eyes Still, we were all learners once.

We found the snow and relative peace of the Palafour, Grand Huit etc side of Tignes excellent on Monday morning. Snow on piste in good condition too. Above and down to La Daille reasonable but hard and a bit icy in parts.

Late morning, Snowhead international rescue sprang into action on the officially closed Orange. A lovely Chinese student from Cambridge Uni, separated from friends and lost, sat distressed on the snow, 10m from skis and poles. We coaxed her back onto skis, gently down to Funival then eventually to Tommeuse and down Tov gondola. Wondered how the hell a 1.5 week skier got in that situation Shocked Anyway everyone lived happily ever after and she took several compulsory selfies with us.

Afternoon was 4 laps of Double M, which got progressively icier but still a great blast. Not forgetting a few photos with the St Bernard on the Panoramique terrace. Overall another fab day

It would obviously relieve congestion if a few more lifts and what look like well covered pistes opened. Wassappenin? snowHead
snow report
The ‘up & over’ was running both ways as we returned from Fornet to Solaise after lunch today.
ski holidays
It was the full on Dame Vera - there were bluebirds over the white cliffs of Tignes and Val D'Isere, Here's a shot from the top of the Grand Motte:

Just the odd contrail to pierce the deep blue. There was hardly a breath of wind and it was a good bit warmer than today - fabulous.

After an early morning charge round the Palet Bowl we met up with a group in Val Claret and decided to head high. We went up Lanches and did Double M As you cannot access Vanoise from the top of Lanches. The run was deserted and in excellent condition, it was so good we did it again! We then hopped onto the Funiculaire and the Cable Car to the top of the Grande Motte where the view was, of course, terrific. The run down Glacier is quite bare in places down to the underlying ice, it could do with a lot of snow and getting back down to the village involves skiing down towards the bottom of the Rossolin drag and crossing under it about half way down - all a bit of a faff. Vanoise only brings you back to the cable Car - no other runs can be accessed from it. However, they do appear to be having teething problems this season, probably as a result if all the work that has gone on. I returned home via Grand HUit for some well earned lunch.

Tomorrow will be identical to today, it may even be a little bit warmer. Thursday will start in a very similar fashion but high clouds will start appearing in the afternoon and the wind will begin to pick up. By the wee small hours of Friday it will be blowing a gale and snowing. These whiteout conditions will persist through Friday, the snow will ease in daylight hours but the wind remains. I am still hopeful for a significant fall but maybe not as much as first thought. The wind will remain on Saturday closing the high lifts but there will be sunny spells and light snow showers. Sunday will be a day of sunny periods but the wind will pick up again before a very unsettled few days.
ski holidays
Hi - trying to decide whether to come over for a week next week or not. From the guys on the ground is there enough open to keep an advanced skier occupied for a week? Off piste will prob be marginal so I assume on piste it will be most of the time I guess - cant remember when I last skied on piste for a whole week. Is the link btw Val and Tignes open each day as there is a lot more open in Tignes it appears. Not sure if its worth the money for a week at this point in the season. I see some snow if forecast for next week though......decisions

cheers
snow report
There is really no off piste so you will be limited to runs with snow cannons unles we get a good dump soon.
The links are open each day but actually in my opinion there is more to ski in Val with Belvarde and Solaise both ok. Fornet area is surprisingly limited although the runs around the Cascade chair are ok.
Forecast from the very reliable “chocksaway” is usually spot on so some unsettled weather and high winds are likely but maybe not as much snow as we would like or need.

Maybe wait until January when Pat Zimmer has declared the snow will arrive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy