Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
@nelly0168, Not far off. I had a balcony built as part of a building renovation but had no access to it until I fitted patio doors which was in the medium term financing plan. However when I arrived in Tignes just after Brexit the old picture window had cracked so plans had to move forward at an extra coast of €500 (don't tell Stanton!!). Hence the names to remind me of the consequences.

@intermediate, Joys of being on the top deck!

@Ianp259, In France you do not need snow tyres like Belgium (and others) - I guess most French people never need them. Legally you have to have chains once you leave Bourg but many don't bother . The police will set up road blocks if its bad, and depending on conditions may insist on them for everybody, everybody but 4x4 with winter tyres and so on down the food chain. In practice with snow tyres it is highly unlikely that you will need chains if you have snow tyres. I've had mine for 5 full seasons and they are still in the box, if a little dusty after a practice in the garage at home. As for the classic Brit tourist asking do I need snow chains just in case - I generally ask if they would drive up from Bourg with no seat belts and air bags off as you are far more likely to need chains - normally drives the point home Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, glad to see you are safely in residence and resuming service. Thanks for the info as always. Hope to catch up soon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

if the chain signed are lit/up you can get away with winter tyres?

@Ianp259, most of the time, yes. But occasionally, no.

Over the last half-dozen years I have driven over 40,000 miles in the Alps in winter with a front-drive car fitted with snow tyres. Needed the chains once but if I hadn't had them I'd have been sleeping in the car that night. My advice would be always to have chains with you, no matter what.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ianp259, if the police are stopping vehicles and insisting on chains - no, you definitely will NOT get away with winter tyres. Has happened to me twice. And to one of my visitors, driving a Swiss rental car with winter tyres. I have four good winter tyres and have sometimes had to put chains on for extra traction on not-very-snowy roads. The wrong kind of snow....

And when roads are only partially cleared (e.g. when it's snowing so heavily it piles up between passes of the snowplough) or you need to negotiate steep local roads, or car parks with great piles of snow around, they can be essential. I wouldn't drive without them once it's likely to be snowy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always tick the box on the rental page and always check I have them, but winter tyres have always coped with everything... including Les Gendarmes.

That’s not to say they always will.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year there was massive snow on the Tignes/Val area.

Police were making all cars leaving Bourg to go up the hill put chains on, but waved me through in the Discovery after checking I had proper snow tyres on.

I do carry chains as well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at the forecast, I'm glad I'm heading up the hill tonight and not in the morning.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, I will be carrying chains and have practiced fitting them. I have used them in a few winters even towing the caravan off the campsite at Titersee at Christmas.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One last semi-sleep in dear old Blighty. Off to Brum airport about 0430 Sat morning. Pretty poorly for last few weeks so some of the benefits of training have been lost. Hoping mountain air will prove a tonic. Bit of new snow Sat would be welcome. Snoworks course starts Monday. Need to find my mojo, literally and figuratively. Looks like a cold week coming!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monday looks like an absolutely epic day! Fresh snow, no wind and cloudless skies.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excitement is building around the resort ahead of the big day tomorrow. Its been another mild day so I have been attending to a few jobs around the pad as it was warm enough to have the windows open so the paint would dry quickly. They are all done so just have to load the jacket with all the relevant bibs and bobs.

The cloud will thicken through the evening and we are expecting precipitation in the early hours, initially this will be snow down to around 2100m and sleet below. So tomorrow morning will not be pleasant in the villages, but the snowline will move slowly down the valley. However, if you pop up in a gondola fresh snow will await you (if you can see it). Just watch out for the wind from mid morning, it will threaten the high lifts and just possibly the links. The snow will stop around tea time, overall we will get around 10cm. Sunday will start nice but windy, again the high lifts may close. There may be a light shower of snow in the afternoon. The snowline will be low enough not to care about for the rest of the week. Monday and Tuesday appear to be much more benign, chilly by day and freezing hard at night - which should allow the snow cannons to blow all night. From Wednesday onwards and depending on how the high pressure collapses we can expect sunny periods and light snow showers; not large amounts of snow but every little helps!

For those who remember 'Its A Knockout': Et Maintenant, Attention, Trois, Deux, Un, Beeeep!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, at last year's PSB I used to ski down from Le Taos to the short Lavachet drag and then scoot around the corner to the bottom of the Toviere lift. Does the new building just above the Tov to the left block off that route now? Bit tricky to see from the webcam, and it looks rather bare today. Thanks!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The tables and chairs are out at the Roseé Blanche so it’s officially the start of the season 😀
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@head_like_a_rock, The honest answer is I am not sure. There are that many barriers and things it is difficult to work out. Also where the diggers have been there is a lot of mud so it would certainly need some snow. According to sources the roads will reopen next Friday as the works will be shut down for the winter so we shall see then. The sooner the better really as all the local buses are coming past mine and the Taos and then on a track through the piste basher garage and its chaos!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@muppet, I might leave that till Sunday! Rockhopping to get wet is maybe asking a bit much......
latest report
Quote:

Rockhopping to get wet is maybe asking a bit much......

especially when you can't see the rocks....
snow report
Its started snowing (just snow at 2100m). The radar looks ominous for later today......
Toodlepip!
snow report
I’ve spent the morning looping from Folie Douce down to La Daille. Viz is still good there even though it’s now snowing heavily.

I’m currently in the Rosée having a pint with Jan. For those that know him, his baby girl was born in May and is called Naia. She is very pretty!
snow report
@bar shaker, aaw.. congrats to Jan
ski holidays
@bar shaker, Sweet, I had no idea, though I wasn't brave enough to ski down there!

So lets start with a bit of poetry (now there's a thing)

I wandered lonely as a Skier
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd - oh hang on I was first on the Toviere lift (they had forgotten to turn on the gates!) and after a quick handshake with the pisteurs I was off down Creux:

And then after another handshake with Freddie at the bottom of the Tommeuses (it's just like a big family) I was first on there too. It soon started snowing quite heavily and it was damp so a morning for the foolhardy (with the emphasis on the fool!). The pistes that are open are generally narrower than normal (they have been stealing snow from the other side) and a bit thin in places but overall what is open is good. The visibility was poor and getting worse so I popped down into Val Claret for a couple of laps of Grattalu and then down Carline. The wind was picking up and the glacier did not look inviting (the top lifts were shut) so it was time to come home to the STGM 50th party in some teepees by the Lagon - all very jolly and food to feed the 5000.

We appear to have a whole load of new signs and Avi beacon checking points, this ine is at the top of the Tovier in front of the new Restaurant (still very much a work in progress!):

The snow will peter out into the evening and the temperature is going to drop, expect snow cannons to be screaming. Tomorrow will be a day of sunny periods, the wind may be a problem at altitude, so keep an eye on the signs and there may be a light shower as the bars open. Monday and Tuesday look mainly sunny and cooler, it looks like it will deteriorate a bit earlier than we though yesterday, so late Tuesday may see an odd shower. Wednesday and beyond will be markedly cooler by day and you can expect sunny periods and snow showers. The good news is there is no sign of any more rain unless you are down in Lyon. This regime should continue until at least Friday, not huge amounts of snow but expect conditions to improve markedly on piste. Cover off piste has quite a way to go below 2800m.
snow conditions
Just a few bits of cloud, sun is out, its minus 10 on the balcony and there is about 5cm of light snow on the ground and the snow cannons are busy producing more - winter's here Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@chocksaway, Saw some people skiing down Palafour around 8am who had clearly skinned up really early.
snow report

Val high st
It’s an amazing morning guys. Likes like Mother Nature whitewashed everything over night.

We fell out of La Baraque at midnight and it was still snowing lightly.

It’s going to be a good day.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Any news on the new skis that you ordered on-line? Can you track the delivery?

Looks like it's been very busy around the Rosset area. Cranes and equipment piste-side have gone. Snow cannons going full tilt there and at the bottom of Trolles. Nursery slope now looks to have full cover. (from the webcam).
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, They were despatched at 23.01 last night (overtime must be good) but as Colissimo don't work Sundays they will not be in the system until tomorrow. I will then have to wait for the non delivery note and then they will appear by magic at the Post Office the following day Puzzled

Much tidying up on the Rosset area for the road to reopen by Friday which will save all the traffic doing the roller coaster past the piste basher garage. Comedy moment on the road outside when someone left a hotel you used to frequent and needed 6 staff to push it up to The Taos, bus driver was less than amused. Still not got to the bottom of the Tignes Pass issue.

[b]@head_like_a_rock[b] the answer to your question is yes - I could see from the gondy that your 'route' is still viable, if a little short of sno but I'm sure that will be fixed. The Lav drag is working.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, great thanks, look forward to trying it out a week today snowHead
snow report
'It was only a Winter's Tale' (thanks Mr Essex!)......

Yes it was decidedly chilly out on the slopes today and a high wind at altitude which closed the Grande Motte and some of the other high lifts in Val D'Isere. But the sky was mainly blue punctuated only by some natural 'diamond dust' and quite a lot of artificial snow from the cannons. The pistes that are open are now in good condition but (not surprisingly) they were quite busy with weekenders and ski clubs from all over France. There is effectively only one slope down into La Daille as race preparations have already started but a visit to the Rosée Blanche was obligatory. The last couple of hundred meters at the bottom were a bit slick after yesterdays slush froze hard, but a good dusting of artificial allowed stability to be maintained! Grattalu and Carline were very good. There were a few tracks to be had by the side of the piste soft, if a little wind blasted and quite a few hazards below. Here's a quick picture from the Rond-Point in Val Claret;

Tomorrow will feel a bit warmer as the wind will drop and the sun should shine all day. So much more of the area will be open, all in all a good day looms. Tuesday now looks like it will be mainly cloudy from lift opening and this will thicken through the day and there is the chance of the odd flocon in the afternoon. Wednesday will also be cloudy with the odd light shower of snow. The temperature will drop significantly by day on Thursday as we then look forward to 3 or 4 days of sunny periods and showers, not significant accumulations but snow none the less.
ski holidays
We’ve had a great day. Much off the sides and some full on deep stuff down from Grand Pre. Plenty off to the right of Eidelweiss too. The secret was to avoid anything wind scoured.

Under the Folie and the left of Stade also good.

Lots of places on the hill aren’t open yet. Lunch at the Folie though, OMG!! The Petit Cuisine (at FD) are doing fantastic food for €10-15, better than anywhere else. New fave lunch.

Dinner at Baraque tonight with a local friend.

ETA.... I spoke to Victor yesterday. Coco isn’t open until the 7th Dec.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its looking rather cold for the next few days. Very Happy

https://on.windy.com/11dh6
ski holidays
Or if you prefer a different view:

https://on.windy.com/11dhm

Snow depths are interpolated from a 9km grid - not sure at what resolution as it isn't relevant to actual forecasting - which is itself an average value of the 81km2 grid square so actual depths are indicative and should be used in conjunction with local knowledge. This might sound fluffy and inaccurate but ECMWF is streets ahead of GFS right now -grid square 444km2- and the more precise NEM 4km from the Swiss is shorter range and does not model snow depth anyway. Oh, and by the way, ECMWF doesn't just give its data away. Try finding another free to use site that has it yet.

ECMWF=European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting, based in Reading and funded by several European countries (not EU so at least one thing Boris and Nige haven't f&@ked). Does what it says on the tin. Their data can be a little weak - in comparison to others - in the 1-3 day range but improves in comparitive skill from there out.
snow report
Today is what days on the mountain are all about. Another dusting over night (was quite heavy when we were heading home) and cloudless skies.

To make it even better, everyone went home yesterday evening.

My dilemma, board or ski?
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
Today is what days on the mountain are all about. Another dusting over night (was quite heavy when we were heading home) and cloudless skies.

To make it even better, everyone went home yesterday evening.

My dilemma, board or ski?

board obviously! Smile

webcams looking sweet:
https://tignes.roundshot.com/val-claret/
https://tignes.roundshot.com/lac/
snow report
Yep am on my powder board. Finding stashed everywhere. Off the side of Double M was quads deep!
snow conditions
^^^bar shaker Puzzled

More like jammy bar steward Toofy Grin!! Sounds amazing Smile
snow report
It was a day for Thomas Hardy - Far from the Madding crowd. The sun came out, the weekenders had gone home and the wind dropped. So we basically had the place to ourselves for some high speed cruising. The pistes that are open are in very good shape especially round Grand Pre and there are still pockets of fresh off the sides of the piste although you have to be careful with your lines. The cannons have been running all day and the pisteurs are hard at work preparing extra pistes for next Saturday, I imagine. Here's a shot from just out side the Funival station, deserted and with a spot of art to boot:

Being over in the Bellvarde means an obligatory stop at the Marmottes, it now looks finished - but more importantly the coffee is still €2! Oh and Santons is now a red run Shocked not that it will change much!

The weather forecast has not changed much, there will be thin cloud tonight and there may be a glimpse of the sun over breakfast tomorrow. But the cloud will quickly thicken and we may see a few snowflakes as the bars open and the lifts close. We are then looking at 4 days of cold temperatures, sunny periods and light showers, perhaps a bit heavier on Friday, when the mercury will drop extra layers will be required!
latest report
[quote="chocksaway"]Oh and Santons is now a red run Shocked not that it will change much!

Hopefully it will result in less bodies to navigate before the schuss
ski holidays
I'll be on the PSB in a week so have been keeping an eye on this thread... Coffee has been mentioned a couple times now, and at reasonable prices too - I never thought I'd hear such talk about a french resort, this pleases me:D
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Santons is now a red run Shocked not that it will change much!

Wow, after all those years of petrifying second-weekers!

I don't think I've skied it for about 7 years, I might have to do so next time I'm there just to remind myself why I haven't.
snow conditions
@jjams82, It pays to know a local or 2.... Very Happy

@HoneyBunny, Try it on a Saturday morning if you can - swooping up and down the banks acting like a big kid can be a lot of fun when there is no one else around.
latest report
Some sign that Palafour is being prepared. Running late afternoon. Gates being installed.
Not much to add re conditions to what has been said above.
High winds closed GM cable car during the day.
Not been any further across than Bellevarde.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy