Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
@GeorgeVII, I was sunbathing outside the Tourist Office at lunchtime, it didn't feel cold.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rjs, Yes, Tignes.net forecasting an afternoon temperature of +3c this afternoon in Le Lac. Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
mountainaddict, which building is your apartment in? I stayed in Val Claret once think it was the Rond Point building opposite the Tichot lift
We're in one of the Chalet Club buildings - about half way down the main car park, a couple of mins walk from Tichot Chair. A good spot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mountainaddict, sounds good.
Any buildings to avoid do you think? In terms of noise etc?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

The cannons in La Daille are making significant humps overnight.

Fingers crossed for weather like this next weekend!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quick question have stgm finished the discounted prices for the tignes cards? I’ve just looked at buying our passes for January and I’m not seeing the reduction I usually do. Our cards don’t run out till end of 2018? Then looked at March and same thing. Even looking at the ski alacarte with 19 days it’s not worth it with the 29e per year fee. Most unhappy 😔
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
mountainaddict, sounds good. 
Any buildings to avoid do you think? In terms of noise etc?
Have to say that in 10 years of trips to our apartment (usually a couple of low season trips in winter plus a summer trip) we've never had any major noise problems. It might be because we're three floors up...

Overall, I think Tignes Val Claret doesn't get very rowdy (at least as far as we can see - we don't do late nights... wink) - so I couldn't rule out anywhere in terms of accommodation to avoid.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mountainaddict, yes I think not being at ground level facing the street helps
I can remember a fair bit of noise at the Rond Point but I think I wore earplugs anyway
It was a number of years ago now so I have a job to remember.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ear plugs are the future. Worn some for a week at home to stop the kids ( 28, 24) annoying me. Work a treat.

Had a great holiday back in 91 stopping in Chalet Club, spent most of our time in Playboy Club, bottle with name on behind the bar. A little bit of French went a long way back then. Met the chap who claimed to have directed Groove is in the Video. Great trip £200 base price , probably cost a grand all in, but I wouldn't swap it for anything.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@endoman, yep I always take them on holidays because it can be the difference between enjoying it and not so easily!
Even snorers in the next room audible through thin-ish walls, doesn’t have to be music/people leaving pubs outside, what a God-send earplugs are Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Quick question have stgm finished the discounted prices for the tignes cards? I’ve just looked at buying our passes for January and I’m not seeing the reduction I usually do. Our cards don’t run out till end of 2018? Then looked at March and same thing. Even looking at the ski alacarte with 19 days it’s not worth it with the 29e per year fee. Most unhappy.
We were there for three days two weeks ago & will be back for a week in April. I looked at the various pass options and couldn't see anything that would make it worth our while. As you say, the €29 for the a la carte makes it uneconomical.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah that’s good it’s not just me. Seems strange. For us we would go anyway but I’m sure for some the idea of a loyalty discount does attract them back another year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I see Double M is open at last. And Bollin too.

Lanches Chair is open but is stated as 'No access to glacier.'

Still, 1200m vertical on 18 November is not to be sniffed at Very Happy!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, Only the bottom of Double M is open, you just lap using Lanches.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^^^^^ I stand corrected (in my orthopaedic insoles wink ). Seems a bit odd that - what's wrong with the bit of Double M above Lanches Chair Puzzled
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Seems a bit odd that - what's wrong with the bit of Double M above Lanches Chair Puzzled

It doesn't have any snow cannons.
ski holidays
If you look at the webcam people are skiing down from the glacier and the website shows the top part of the Double M open
ski holidays
Quote:
Seems a bit odd that - what's wrong with the bit of Double M above Lanches Chair?
A: It doesn't have any snow cannons
Ah! Of course!
snow report
I've arrived Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

After the long drive south yesterday and the pre season shop in Bourg today I have now turned on the wifi and found the laptop in all the bags. I've had a quick walk round the village collecting and distributing bits of paper so not entirely up to speed on what's new - so much more tomorrow when I have time for a gossip. But the Jam Bar has had a refurb, looking very nice but no changes to the quality of the coffee, its still excellent. The building works in the village mean the traffic pattern is chaotic - and relies on a track behind the piste basher garage so I hope they get rid of the works by the weekend. Oh and watch out for the new speed bump as you enter Bourg - its a shocker Shocked

But to the important stuff its very warm, stuff was melting off the balconies so the not such good news is that some of the snow has disappeared. the is a meeting this afternoon to decide what will be open on Saturday, but rumours around the village say the links will be open via the Tov gondola, how far you can get into Val remains to be see. Also Tichot and Grattalu seem to be on the cards. Palafour won't open, out of my window it is very thin. The big problem seems to have been the heat preventing the snow cannons from running during the day so they have had to prioritise certain slopes.

But the good news is the weather is going to change by the weekend. Very Happy Tomorrow and Friday will still be warm with 2 days of sunny spells but it will cool through Saturday and be more like winter on Sunday. Saturday will be unsettled and we should get around 10-15 cm of snow down to around 2000m. On Sunday there is likely to be some snow showers and the snowline will be down in Bourg so expect a bit of natural snow and the cannons to be running at full pelt. Next week looks very unsettled but its a bot far off for any firm predictions other than Tignes and val D'Isere will feel and look much more like ski resorts. Very Happy
latest report
@chocksaway, Looking forward to your reports and forecasts this season. Have a good one.
snow report
@chocksaway, Welcome back . I've been waiting for you to get up a head of steam to power up t'interweb wink

One or two others on here have mentioned that their Tignes Cards no longer seem to function (apply discounts) when buying passes. As we also renewed ours last year I'm curious as to why this might be. Haven't heard anything from the STGM. Any chance you could ask around once you get settled in?
Cheers, G.
snow report
Have just been looking at the synoptics and those wiggly line things. Sunday looks to be 'January cold'. This is one time I won't mind driving in the snow, if it is dumping Friday night.

I'll probably stay over the Val side this weekend, especially if Palafour doesn't open. That said, the Tignes park makes a great stash of soft stuff, in the days before the park is formed.

Packing tonight, out Friday night.
ski holidays
cheers for the update @chocksaway, looking forward to my first bash, less than 2 weeks to go! Smile
snow report
@GeorgeVII, My Pass Tignes ran out this year, the email & letter that I got stated that cards with one or two years left would still work. There wouldn't be any discount right now anyway. There is a discount off the cost of a Ski a la Carte for this year though.

@chocksaway, The head pisteur was on the radio at lunchtime (and again right now) saying what would open on Saturday. I'm guessing that Palafour lift may run as they have been testing it each day and it would allow you to get across to Merles. Tichot and Grattalu were also planned to open. The only way back to Lac will be to download on the Toviere gondola, or go down Henri to Val Claret and get the bus.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, I'm arriving on Saturday, so leave your fridge door open.
ski holidays
@rjs, Not had the radio on yet - thanks for that. If Palafour is going to open I'd better get the rockhoppers out of the Cave. Shocked
latest report
@chocksaway, The Anemone run under Palafour won't be opening, that was stated on the radio, people have been skinning up it the last few days though.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, glad you're back safely, looking forward to all your reports!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In others things that have changed, I see on Facebook that the new owners of TC’s have given it a new name and are in the middle of a refurb.

https://m.facebook.com/BoxCafeBarTignes/
snow conditions
@chocksaway, glad you are safely back in town.

I know everybody is very interested in the snow conditions but what is the situation with the building works in Bourg at the Super U.

It was slightly chaotic in September when we were last there so wondering if we might be better shopping further down the valley on our journey up in 2 weeks time.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, thanks for the useful info. Currently no chains required to drive up to resort. Can you post when this becomes essential please.
ski holidays
Thanks everybody - good to be back! I'll be asking around meanwhile @hodgkins, pinched the gen I picked up last night re "The Box" formerly known as TCs. Its going to be more of a café bar (as the name suggests) than a seasonnaires haunt. Charlie has been around Tignes for a while working with Duncs and Sarah (Terrachu and Queue de Cochon) so a promising heritage!

@muppet, I was staring at that thing yesterday in BSM (behind Weldom, in front of Intersport), the main structure is finished - looks like shop/shops below and a 2 storey carpark above but clearly the number of car parking spaces is reduced overall until the multi story is finished. So I guess Saturdays and chalet shop days are going to be busy down there. If you are shopping on the way up - how about the new Leclerc near Aime (can't miss it its on the right 30 secs off the N90) - also has the cheapest fuel in the valley.

Meanwhile its a smashing morning out here just a few clouds, time to dig out the skis Very Happy
latest report
Drumroll please.

The 2 resorts have declared what is going to open on Saturday (one or 2 bits subject to weather conditions).

In Tignes we have most of the glacier including the Vanoise but not Leisse or Genepy. From Val Claret Tufs, Tichot and Grattalu will be open serving Pistes Grattalu and Carline and Henri. From Le Lac we have the Tov Gondola. Merles and Piste Lac may open. For the newbies the Lavachet drag and the Magic Carpet in VC will also open. Tommeuse will serve as the link to Val with Pistes Edelweiss and Creux.

Next door:

Around Bellvarde the Olympique, La Daille Bubble, Funival, Carpe Diem and Marmottes will serve most of the Bellvarde pistes and down into to La Daille. Mont Blanc does not get a mention so use Tommeuse. They are not sure about Grand Pre and Fontaine Froid Most of the Solaise above the top of the Gondola will open served by the gondy, madeleine Datcha (new!) and Glacier. Over in Fornet its just a couple of pistes on the Glacier accessed by the cable car, gondola and both of the Glacier chairlifts.

So clearly a lot of skiing at altitude to be had, no doubt some will be tempted to ski down to the villages. But if the pistes are closed it will be very much at your own risk and rescue costs would be high!! It would be a good day tp obey all the signs for the sake of skis/board and wallet.
snow report
@chocksaway, I've been trying to keep a lid on it but all those familiar names have pushed me over the edge...9 more sleeps... snowHead Very Happy
snow report
We’ve used Leclerc at Aime as our preference for the last year.

It’s cheaper than Super U and the choice is pretty much as good, although it is a bit smaller. No sushi counter though!!
ski holidays
Another warm day for the time of year. It was 7 degs on the balcony this afternoon, which is not great for the snow but it did allow me to wash Boris and Nigel (the patio doors) so I can now see through them! It clouded over progressively this afternoon and there is a gentle breeze blowing. But before the sun disappeared here are a couple of general shots; Palafour from the bus station:

And lots of people enjoying Double M:

Honestly!

The weather is changeable over the next few days as a high pressure system waxes and wanes so it has changed a bit since yesterday and will no doubt change again. The sun will be out in the morning but the sky will fill with cloud from mid morning so early birds and worms and all that. On Saturday it will be cloudy and breezy and we are expecting snow down to 2000m, it will also be quite windy which is a shame seeing as we will be relying on the higher lifts for skiing. It will feel cold in the wind even though the freezing level will be at 2200m or so. Sunday will be much cooler with a breeze but it will be a day of mainly sunny periods. The temperature drops further on Monday, there may be a hint of sun, but mainly cloud. From Tuesday we should have 3 days of light snow showers and cold temperatures which will help a lot, but its a bit too soon to be specific.
snow report
@Suzi snowflake, Sorry - missed that post in a blink of a megabyte. By the letter of the law chains must now be carried to access the resorts. You may need them from Saturday especially to access the side roads in the villages. After that it depends when it snows really.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Another warm day for the time of year. It was 7 degs on the balcony this afternoon, which is not great for the snow but it did allow me to wash Boris and Nigel (the patio doors) so I can now see through them!

@chocks, I take it your doors are named as they are fairly thick wink
latest report
@chocksaway,
Quote:

it did allow me to wash Boris and Nigel (the patio doors) so I can now see through them!

Little privacy, eh, when people can see through Boris and Nigel a mile off?
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Do need chains or winter tyres. In Belgium we have to have winter tyres, I also have chains and have wondered whether if the chain signed are lit/up you can get away with winter tyres?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy