Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
edit.........double post.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-11-17 18:53; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RichClark, is it the Mountain Pro Shop perhaps?

Esprit now runs two hotels in Val D'Isere centre named Ducs de Savoie and Le Savoie. The Ducs has been run by them at least 10 years and sits back from the main road down a short side lane, wide enough for vehicles to use.

The picture above in the post by @bar shaker, is Le Savoie, which Esprit only took on this year I think.
I think the 2 hotels are just a few doors apart, on the same side of the road.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edit - double post
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@intermediate, Site threw a wobbly about half an hour ago. I thought I'd deleted the whole Tignes thread! Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GeorgeVII, yes I reckon snow's got inside the cables.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GeorgeVII, that would of been a much greater loss than the texas gun thread i thought I'd managed to delete Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last December they were doing a fantastic job with the snow cannons. All of the snow below 2000 metres or so had been washed away by rain, but the pistes were all complete down to the bottom.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
intermediate wrote:
@RichClark, is it the Mountain Pro Shop perhaps?

Esprit now runs two hotels in Val D'Isere centre named Ducs de Savoie and Le Savoie. The Ducs has been run by them at least 10 years and sits back from the main road down a short side lane, wide enough for vehicles to use.

^ yep, that's the hotel.

I don't think that its Mountain Pro. Unfortunately, google street view hasn't been updated since 2014 so I can't tell. Perhaps I'll ping Steve in the VDI thread, but thought that one of you fine snowheads may know.

Rich
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Expensive to run the cannons Yes but then so is the price they charge for a week's ski pass. It is a balancing act for the powers that be. It is a trade off between cost of running, providing what the customer wants and the vagaries of the weather. The fact the temperature seems to be remaining low for time of year should sway them into use on the main routes. Us early birds may get grumpy if they choose to lose the opportunity to ensure some pistes are in decent nick come opening weekend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mark1863 wrote:
Expensive to run the cannons Yes but then so is the price they charge for a week's ski pass. It is a balancing act for the powers that be. It is a trade off between cost of running, providing what the customer wants and the vagaries of the weather. The fact the temperature seems to be remaining low for time of year should sway them into use on the main routes. Us early birds may get grumpy if they choose to lose the opportunity to ensure some pistes are in decent nick come opening weekend.

Running costs are not all about money, they need to manage the water levels in the reservoirs through the season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bar shaker wrote:
RichClark wrote:
RichClark wrote:
I'm staying at the Chalet Hotel Ducs De Savoie again, its down the alley way next to the Sherpa. Does anyone remember the name of the hire shop right next door (on the left as you look down the alley to the Ducs)

Cheers

Rich

Just wanted to bump this question for those that may know.

Cheers

Are you sure you have the hotel name right? Le Savoie is on the roundabout in Val but Le Ducs Des Savoie is in Brides Les Bains.

If Le Savoie, the shop down the alley is an Intersport.

Chalet Hotel Ducs De Savoie is pretty much behind Le Savoie, down the small road/alleyway.

I reckon you're right though and its Intersport - Pitte Sports.

Thanks for your help @Bar Shaker
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@RichClark, Intersport is probably the one you are looking for but make sure you get the right one.

Intersport Mattis is on the snow front and they have 2 others, 1 is near the tourist office which has always been called Pitte (I still use the bags for supermarket shopping) and the other is opposite the bus station that just opened last season and near the Sherpa and your hotel. I've been in it a few times but unfortunately can't remember if its got a different name sorry.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@muppet, that’s the one.

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the car en route back from Manchester Airport after a very enjoyable, if somewhat mixed, trip to Tignes.

Ski & weather report - Mon 6.11.17:
Light snow still falling at first light, a quick internet check before we left the apartment at 08.15 showing the same glacier lifts and pistes as yesterday (ie five or six of each) scheduled to open at 08.30.

However....the info board at the ticket office and funicular declared all lifts on hold due to de-icing - a further announcement at 09.00. Cue a growing queue at the ticket office (we'd bought a day ticket on the previous two days - on lift ticket advice due to the potentially dodgy forecast)....

So 09.00 came and went and at about 09.10 the info board changed. The message was now 'opening delayed' - with a revised provisional time of 10.30.

So what to do now for 80 minutes?? We simply headed to the Val Claret golf driving range - where we boot packed up about a 100m run and lapped the untracked powder Very Happy - all 10 to 15cm of it(!!) There was no base of course but we knew we were skiing manicured grassy slopes with no rocks. We had a great time for about an hour, interspersed with a nice tea break.

We went back to the Grande Motte at about 10.45...to find it storm bound and closed for the day. Disappointing - but at least we'd got some fresh tracks in!

Our appetites whetted for this boot packing lark, we then hiked up next to the Tichot chair - I was sure it would be the same grassy slopes scenario...Well, it certainly looked grassy up until yesterday morning - and has always felt very grassy when we've hiked it in the summer.

The ascent was heavy going in the fresh snow as the slope is quite steep and, walking in our ski boots, it took us about 25 min to ascend 100m vertical. The weather began to clear and Toviere summit came into view as we excitedly clicked into our bindings - another virgin powder field beckoning our turns.

Off I went....to the horrifying sound of almost continous rock on base....aaaagghhh!! Shocked The whole slope turned out to be a totally horrific rock fest - with no turns possible. (Worst of all, I didn't 'arf put some dings in my hire ski bases. I was dreading taking them back - but the shop man didn't check them when I was there. He will later though...and he's got my credit card details. I can have no complaints...)

So we walked back down Embarassed - to see the weather clearing on Double M piste and ski tourers who had gone up it skiing down on snow a bit nicer than we had just walked down...Live and learn eh rolling eyes?

The snow cannons have been doing their stuff on Double M and (from the bottom at least) it doesn't look too far off at all. For info: The snow line was at about 1100m (dusting on the trees) when we drove down to Bourg this evening.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nelly0168 wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:

Running costs are not all about money, they need to manage the water levels in the reservoirs through the season.

The latest accounts are for 2016 and they turned over €65m with a €6.6m profit. The cost of people not coming and buying lift passes because there is no snow can easily turn that profit into a loss.

Last year they ran the snow cannons every night from the start of Dec to the middle of January. Lac Chevril holds a vast amount of water and although it was low by the end of March (you could see the old bridge at Villaret du Nail), it was a long way from being empty.
snow report
Snow cannons running early this morning to help Double M along. Mixed weather this week with quite a lot of cloud and a few flocons now and again. Looks more snowy over the weekend, it will be unsettled but the confidence in the forecast is not great as it relies on a ridge of high pressure collapsing on time! Looks like the snow level over the weekend will shuttle between Lac and Boisses so expect a slush fest around the village but snow on all but the last bit of DM. Maybe just maybe there will be enough to open it next week (but I would be on renters!!)
ski holidays
@bar shaker,
Thanks for the info.
I think at the moment there will be thinking is the little that’s fallen going to stick. Probably yes above VC/Lac level given the forecast so I would hope that to get the main thoroughfares running they will use them. The counter argument is not that many punters for first few weeks so it is worth the expense.
It will become apparent shortly. My first run is in 18 days so I know where my vote would be.
ski holidays
@Mark1863, I'm not so sure about the little that has fallen sticking around. Hasn't there been good snow in Nov in the past few years that has been wiped out by a warm spell prior to Xmas??
snow conditions
Kitenski - last year there was a good fall in November which was washed away below 2000 metres by heavy rain (which fell as snow higher up). There was no further snow in December but temperatures remained cold, so there was good natural snow higher up and the pistes down to resort level were kept in good condition with artificial snow.
latest report
What @john2 says.

The opening weekend last year was some of the very best skiing (well, I snowboarded for that trip) I have ever done. It actually started snowing late Oct and then didn't stop until the day before the opening weekend... at which point the sky turned blue. snowHead On piste and off, it was incredible everywhere.

We live and hope!!
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:

Last year they ran the snow cannons every night from the start of Dec to the middle of January. Lac Chevril holds a vast amount of water and although it was low by the end of March (you could see the old bridge at Villaret du Nail), it was a long way from being empty.

@bar shaker - Thats quite interesting, I didnt know they use water from lac du chevril in Tignes.

That would seem on the face of it incredibly costly even when the lake produces cheapish hydro power - i.e. to pump it a few miles up the road to Val Claret (say) and up to 1000 metres vertical to double m ??

I was under the impression that they only used the reservoirs on the mountain.
ski holidays
The opening week last year was great then there was nothing for a month or so. However the EK is a big place and I was in resort throughout that time and though no real off-piste after week 1 I still enjoyed myself.
I do not worry about the weather as I cannot influence it. All scenarios before Xmas are possible. The current forecast is for reasonably cold weather to last another 10-12 days. So based on that I think the higher stuff will stick especially if it gets topped up by cannon. But it may not
If I get to mid Dec and I can only ski half the resort on piste I will still be a lot better off than the poor blighters stuck at work in blighty
I notice that there were pistebasher tracks going from the top of Bellevarde today - that implies some work may have been going on.
T minus 19 days
snow report
Naturally (after our overcast day then 2 days of whiteout) it was back to work to find it was blue skies in Tignes today.

C'est last vie rolling eyes No snowfall = no skiing and any skiing is better than no skiing - so we still enjoyed our trip. And it was lovely to be there for the first big storm of winter and to see the mountains transformed.

A few photos:

Day 1 - Sat 4 Nov 2017 - Overcast with light snow later
[/url]

Day 2 - Sun 5 Nov - Whiteout/powder day - wind became ridiculous and the glacier closed at lunchtime

Day 3 - Mon 6 Nov - Playing around(!) on the golf driving range in Val Claret (glacier storm bound again...)
latest report
nelly0168 wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

@bar shaker - Thats quite interesting, I didnt know they use water from lac du chevril in Tignes.

That would seem on the face of it incredibly costly even when the lake produces cheapish hydro power - i.e. to pump it a few miles up the road to Val Claret (say) and up to 1000 metres vertical to double m ??

I was under the impression that they only used the reservoirs on the mountain.

The water in the high farm reservoirs would be gone in a couple of nights! Just one of the cannons in front of our apartment in La Daille can produce a volume of snow over night the size of a small bungalow.

Using Lac Chevril is very sustainable. If the piste snow melts, it refills the lake... if not, it stays on the pistes. Espace Killy quotes itself as being entirely self sustaining as the electricity produced by the damn is enough to run the entire EK all winter, with a surplus in the summer. When it was built, it was the highest dam in Europe at 180m. It holds a lot of water!
snow report
Heavy snow again today, although the wind has gone. More snow due over the rest of the week and an established Azores High could keep funnelling fronts and cold air down across France for some time yet.

I know it's too early to get excited, but I'm getting excited. snowHead Laughing
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
.I know it's too early to get excited, but I'm getting excited. snowHead Laughing

If this keeps up I'll need to book more than the one days guiding for the PSB Toofy Grin

@bar shaker, That's interesting, impressive that they can make that much power and supply all the water.
snow conditions
Daishan wrote:
@bar shaker, That's interesting, impressive that they can make that much power and supply all the water.

1 cubic metre of water can make up to 10 cubic metres of snow (this would be true champagne powder). Cannon snow is denser than that, but the ratio still means you get a lot of snow from a cubic metre of water.
ski holidays
Any word on the streets regarding Double M?

Any sign of it opening Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, Doesn't seem to be any official word but:

Its going to be a stormy old weekend. Saturday will be grey and grizzly with the wind picking up through the day and a bit of snow. Sunday looks like a whiteout with high winds on the glacier so it may well be a duvet day! It looks quite snowy and with a snowline shuttling between the Dam and Le Lac there should be quite a lot of snow on Double M. However the village may well be a bit of a slushfest depending on the actual snowline. Monday will be a lot colder allowing the cannons to resume, so 1350m of vertical can't be that far away. Mid week looks quite nice before more unsettled weather next weekend.

Given the plethora of tyres around the Le Lac sports courts and that some pisting work appears to have gone on on Carline and Grattalu (from the webcam) the locals seem to be gearing up for winter Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Any word on the streets regarding Double M?

Any sign of it opening Puzzled

I was there in Nov 2013 when it looked skiable but they only opened the top and "saved" the lower section until the "full" opening day
snow conditions
I anyone with more experience than me able to give their divination on what they think the conditions are going to be like come the start of December? I can look at forecasts, but I'm not really sure what is normal.
I guess it's a bit early, but I'm just wondering.
snow conditions
@higthomas, welcome to snowHeads. Steady light snow overnight only, throughout last 2 weeks of November. Temperatures between 0c and -10c. Clearing to full sun around 2 Dec, with temperatures increasing slightly, to between 1c and 3c daytime. Followed by steady overnight snow each Wednesday until further notice. snowHead
snow report
@higthomas, snow conditions Espace Killy likely to amongst the best in the Alps come early December...
https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/forski.aspx?resort=Tignes&country=France
snowHead
ski holidays
higthomas wrote:
I anyone with more experience than me able to give their divination on what they think the conditions are going to be like come the start of December? I can look at forecasts, but I'm not really sure what is normal.
I guess it's a bit early, but I'm just wondering.

You'll have to wait and see, could be awesome if it stays cold and continues to snow, could be just skiing on the glacier if it warms up and melts, could be somewhere in between the two extremes (most likely given the investment in snow cannons, their height and historical record) Very Happy
snow report
Most of any significant snow in this current period appears to be due tonight. Then looks like sunny weather for most of the working week.
ski holidays
Ok I can’t take it anymore.
Where the poubelle monitor? 😄
ski holidays
Looks like more fresh snow overnight. Roads covered in Le Lac Very Happy

@Timg60, I don't think the poubelle monitor is in residence just yet wink
snow conditions
Tyre monitor on the tennis courts etc is indicative. Clearly visible yesterday, gone this morning!
latest report
Mark1863 wrote:
Tyre monitor on the tennis courts etc is indicative. Clearly visible yesterday, gone this morning!

I remember when I was out early in Val a few years back, watching the tyres disappear is very satisfying, and then skiing over them to get to the funi every day as they completely disappeared was great fun!!
ski holidays
Looking good if a little stormbound this morning. Looks like the snowline moved down the hill overnight as there is not a great deal down in Brev. I imagine its going to be a while before they can knock this into shape as it all arrived at high speed - not much snow settled on the restaurant at the top of the Tov! Looks like the rest of the week is going to be mainly sunny with temps just above freezing by day in the main villages, so some snow there may disappear but from VC upwards I think it will stay especially on shady slopes (Double M).

One week to day and the cruise liner departs Kingston upon Hull for the start of the season Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy