Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
@Claude B, Full details and reasons here:
https://www.skipass-tignes.com/en/infos-toussaint

Sign of the times that Leisse (piste and chairlift) and Vanoise lift are no longer considered as part of the 'entire glacier' Sad

That said it was blinkin' tricky to get down to Leisse last season until well after Christmas so no surprises really.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@GeorgeVII, @Kenzie, @chocksaway: Thank you guys... I will check it out...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, Thanks. Going hike instead. It's back to summer here again 😁
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
They tell me that due to volume of skiers and closure over weekend it's limited to 4 hour passes (10 - 2 or 12 - 4) at 26€
Ehhhhhh?! Shocked Is that right?! Never heard such a thing - have never seen the glacier anything but fairly quiet to very quiet at this time of year....

Off there in a week's time. We were planning on 3 days on the slopes - but will just have to see what's what... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B wrote:
Canned our trip now. Found a room at Moutainsun on Booking.com so rang them. They tell me that due to volume of skiers and closure over weekend it's limited to 4 hour passes (10 - 2 or 12 - 4) at 26€. Something like 200€ in total for 2 of us for 4 hours skiing is just too much 😯

Almost as expensive as the Snow Factor in Glasgow. Family of four skiing for two hours last Sunday morning - two adults and two children. A bargain at £ 126........
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sunday looks to be too windy so hopefully Saturday won't be too busy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mountainaddict, we received the same e-letter. Tignes is the only resort in France currently able to offer Glacier skiing. And a picture posted on FB today shows that the lifts were fairly busy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^^^^Oh!! Got it! Had forgotten that it's school hols rolling eyes.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm staying at the Chalet Hotel Ducs De Savoie again, its down the alley way next to the Sherpa. Does anyone remember the name of the hire shop right next door (on the left as you look down the alley to the Ducs)

Cheers

Rich
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is being built at the side of Toviere ? Appartments ?
And most importantly, does it spoil the view from The Loop ?? hmm.
Worried.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Howdy wrote:
What is being built at the side of Toviere ? Appartments ?
And most importantly, does it spoil the view from The Loop ?? hmm.
Worried.

IIRC its a kindergarten / nursery level with the Rosset lift with a few luxury apartments above - dont think its too high rise.

I have to say my preferred view of the Loop is always from a long way off !

@chocksaway might know more re the development, im merely a tourist wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nelly0168, same with the folle. To be observed from a distance, then move on to somewhere civilised
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John wrote:
@nelly0168, same with the folle. To be observed from a distance, then move on to somewhere civilised

Yes, in fact I know someone who has lived in the area for 25 years and never visited the FD as its full of (his words) w******.

For all the years visiting Tignes / Val D, I have only been once, on mates stag do.

One of these "now I have done it I never have to return" things - and the cost of a bottle of champagne..... Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Further up this thread someone was talking about the Langley 2100 Hotel in Lac that got refurbished in 2015. Yup, we were booked in for New Year 15/16 and got bumped. Not too bad, as I was getting worried about reports of workmen still going in and out in the week previous; we got the news on Christmas Eve.
Full credit to Crystal. They offered us Les Arcs at first, but we stuck for Tignes, and they gave us Alpina in Val Claret. We got a discount, and one of our 'rooms' was big bedroom, dining/kitchen, bathroom, and a separate cabin bed cubbyhole which daughter loved and meant that our friend (4th person in party) got the other (smaller/standard) apartment to herself.
Enjoyed Alpina so much we're off there again this New Year! Sadly, we're not paying the extra for the big room, but looking forward to a great time.
Only hassle is that the late arrival at Chambery (18:00 scheduled) from Edinburgh means we'll be too late for first night dinner. Even if the flight is on time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nelly0168 wrote:
Dr John wrote:

Yes, in fact I know someone who has lived in the area for 25 years and never visited the FD as its full of (his words) w******.

For all the years visiting Tignes / Val D, I have only been once, on mates stag do.

One of these "now I have done it I never have to return" things - and the cost of a bottle of champagne..... Shocked

I have to confess, I have had some great afternoons in the Folie... but then it isn't for everyone Laughing

I'm lucky that after a Folie session, I can get the gondola down, have one for the road with Jan at the Rosée and be home in 3 minutes.

Mostly I go to the Cocoricco for apres. I suspect some of you wouldn't like it there either Laughing
snow report
@bar shaker, for a lively knees-up apres, to which I am partial every now and then, Cocorico wins every time. 2-fers happy hour, some musical variation (not relentless euro-pop house), and a short stagger into town/home. Very roughly speaking, locals and seasonaires go to Coco, tourists go to FD.

That said, the best way to experience the Folle is to have a slap up late lunch in La Fruitiere (not cheap) then relax on the Frutiere terrace to witness the carnage without having Giles and Binky from the young farmers/uni ski club elbowing you in the chops every 10 seconds.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 30-10-17 12:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
They tell me that due to volume of skiers and closure over weekend it's limited to 4 hour passes (10 - 2 or 12 - 4) at 26€
Ehhhhhh?! Shocked Is that right?! Never heard such a thing - have never seen the glacier anything but fairly quiet to very quiet at this time of year....

Off there in a week's time. We were planning on 3 days on the slopes - but will just have to see what's what... rolling eyes

We were there on Saturday and it wasn't too bad at all. The queue at the bottom drag was tiresome (we queued for 25 minutes!) but the T bars and the cable car were pretty much queue free, so we stayed on the upper slopes. There were a few bare (sheet ice) patches but most of it was nice soft snow and the few bare patches were easy to avoid.

Sat pm it got very windy and we left the mountain at 13.40. The cable car had been closed since approx 1pm. Sunday was way too windy to even consider going up there. I seriously doubt there is any soft snow left on it after Sunday's wind.

Instead of skiing on Sunday, we hiked up to the Prariond Refuge above Fornet. This is a beautiful hike and we had 4 Ibex grazing only 30m away from us.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
@bar shaker, for a lively knees-up apres, to which I am partial every now and then, Cocorico wins every time. 2-fers happy hour, some musical variation (not relentless euro-pop house), and a short stagger into town/home. Very roughly speaking, locals and seasonaires go to Coco, tourists go to FD.

Good Summary John. Plus the Coco is next to the Ronde Point bus stop snowHead

It's my favourite apres bar in Val and Victor has done a load of work to it over the summer, so it should be even better this winter. The bands look to be a bit more protected form the snow now too How they play guitar or keyboards with freezing fingers is beyond me. Shocked
snow report

Saturday morning...
snow report
@bar shaker, been following the Coco renovations, looks like they're finally opening up the 2nd bar which will make things easier. New restaurant L'Etincelle also looks interesting, if not exactly a bargain. Hopefully will give another sundowners beer option on way back from solaise (it's also incorrectly located on google maps)
ski holidays
Yip the building at the side of the Rosset slope is the new municipal kindergarten with v swanky apts above (don't ask unless you have about a mill and a half in the back pocket). From the plans (caveat) you will still be able to see some of the mountains through the fug of smoke on the Loop Terrace.

The building across the road above and behind the Loop (where the Pramecou was) is Apex 2100 - the new Brit ski academy masterminded by Clive Woodward (who may or may not be related to our very own Mr W!!!!!)
latest report
What's going on at the top of Toviere - replacement restaurant? Is it going to be ready for the season?
latest report
@MSG101, yes, that's what it is. Progress fast in the last few weeks and I'd be surprised if it wasn't open before Christmas.
snow conditions
Thanks for the photo from the weekend @bar shaker - looks good for the time of year.

Looking forward to our three days up there from Saturday Very Happy.

Guessing it will now have quietened down a bit after the hols??
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, If you stay on the two upper T bar lifts, you will definitely be fine. The extra 2-3 minutes of sliding down the lower section cost us 25 minutes of queuing. For a longer run, get the chair back up to the cable car and go to the top, as there are no queues at the cable car all day.

The central T bar was the only lift that had someone checking wrist band colours.

It looks good again on the webcams this morning, even though it looked a pretty bare by COB yesterday. The pisties have plenty of snow up there to work with. More light dustings are due this week but hopefully it can now start snowing in earnest, for the whole resort. In previous years you have been able to ski back down Double M, all the way to VC, at the start of Nov.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Guessing it will now have quietened down a bit after the hols??

The Toussaint holidays are this week too.
latest report
In my experience it is unusual for Double M to be covered 1 Nov. I think we might a decent fall this coming weekend, cross - fingers. Nothing huge. Hopefully, the start of a snowy November. With a bit of luck 20cm and a bit colder on Sat. So will see if they run the cannons full tilt on the Double M - that would be a sign that proper preparation is starting.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@bar shaker, been following the Coco renovations, looks like they're finally opening up the 2nd bar which will make things easier

Cocorico had two outside bars last season! One of my fave apres places anywhere. I don’t mind a bit of the Folie but usually only pop in once during a week’s hol, it’s fun to watch for an hour then go and party at Coco.

Tignes could do with a really good live music apres place, the Loop was about the best we found when I stayed there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HoneyBunny, There is also the bar inside, so 3 bars in total.

The Saloon Bar can be good too (it's their last year where they are, so is called 'the last chance' this year) but Coco is defo the best apres in EK.

I'm also surprised that Tignes doesn't have something similar. I've been going to Tignes every year for 20 years and only recently started going to Val. The apres in Val was a big factor in us choosing to buy there, rather than Tignes. As good as it is, the Loop is like a very small version of the Morris Pub and and there are much better places for apres in Val.

That said, I quite like a quieter afternoon in the Rosée sometimes.
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, @bar shaker,
I agree. There is no outstanding apres place in Tignes. Nothing beats a bit of live music after a day on the slopes. Not a great folie man as they just play the same type all the time. Some nice bars in Tignes but nothing more
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, @bar shaker,
I agree. There is no outstanding apres place in Tignes. Nothing beats a bit of live music after a day on the slopes. Not a great folie man as they just play the same type all the time. Some nice bars in Tignes but nothing more
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, good to hear, the upper bar wasn't open the week I was there late-Jan. Rest assured I'll be fully investigating this season.

The lack of apres in Tignes has always amazed me, given the generally young demographic. It's a major turn-off for me.
snow conditions
It seems that Coco's reputation is spreading!

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/france/articles/10-things-to-see-and-do-in-val-disere/
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@HoneyBunny, good to hear, the upper bar wasn't open the week I was there late-Jan. Rest assured I'll be fully investigating this season.

The lack of apres in Tignes has always amazed me, given the generally young demographic. It's a major turn-off for me.

Tignes is not and never will be Val D (thank god, some may say...) but I guess it depends on your definition of apres?

Personally I am always several beers to the good by the time I get back to the hotel, having had a great time in whatever is the establishment du jour - some of which even have live music, but not on the scale of VD.
latest report
Upper slopes should be white by early next week if the latest forecasts are correct. Will be interesting to see if they start laying the carpet down Double M. A good sign if they think it is worth running the cannons. 23 days to go for me so hope the forecasters have it right this time.
snow conditions
^^^^ 40cm forecast at the top & 20cm as low as Les Brevieres - let's hope that's a conservative estimate (as we land at GVA in the morning) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy!!
Quote:

The Toussaint holidays are this week too.
So (in traditional French fashion) will the crowds be packing up and going home on Saturday morning? ie leaving the glacier clear for arriving guests like me?

Quote:
In my experience it is unusual for Double M to be covered 1 Nov
Correct. Since 2007, the earliest it's opened was something like 6th November and the latest about the 28th. Otherwise, it's usually somewhere in between.

Will add more detail later, once I've checked my records (ie annual note in my diary, with the list carried forward each year) wink
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
So (in traditional French fashion) will the crowds be packing up and going home on Saturday morning? ie leaving the glacier clear for arriving guests like me?

Very likely, yes. Looking at the forecast, you could have an epic couple of days.

Mark1863 we are back out for the opening weekend too. I'll be happy if it is only half as good as last year.
snow report
Just seen on faceache - last orders in TC's Bar on 9th November. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

Very likely, yes. Looking at the forecast, you could have an epic couple of days.

Mark1863 we are back out for the opening weekend too. I'll be happy if it is only half as good as last year.

epic as long as the wind stays away and you can see up there in heavy snow [jealous, nah Wink]
snow conditions
Will make the best of the weather and conditions in Tignes - but we're thinking that whiteouts could well be the order of the day...

(Readers' tip: A bad day on the mountain is better than a good day in the office wink)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy