Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl January 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Long time listener - first time caller.

I've only started skiing within the last couple of years, I've previously only ever rented kit however I've recently purchased my own boots.

May be a bit of a daft question but if I'm to rent Skis in Ischgl will they set them up for me?. Not really experienced with setting up skis.

Leads me onto my next query, any recommendations where to rent skis from?. It's difficult for me not really knowing what would be the best skis for myself?!... Although I'm hoping the store would be able to help me out on this front.

I've never been to Ischgl and I'm going solo, so I'm a bit nervous!.

Regards,

Daniel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes they will mate, just know your weight and also your standard etc....... ischgl is a big party town (i think its a bit seedy) but i had a right laugh there.... why did you pick there as opposed to other places? from my memory the runs down to the town get busy as they are narrow....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DDBEAU wrote:
If I'm to rent Skis in Ischgl will they set them up for [my boots]?

Yep. Only one trick to remember, when you go to pick up your kit take 1 of your boots with you (you don't need both). Based on your experience/height/weight they will set the bindings up for you/your boots.

DDBEAU wrote:
Leads me onto my next query, any recommendations where to rent skis from?.

Take a look at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132848 In my experience there's not much to choose between hire shops in Ischgl (thankfully because all good rather than all bad!) so pick one that's handy for where you're staying.

DDBEAU wrote:
It's difficult for me not really knowing what would be the best skis for myself?!... Although I'm hoping the store would be able to help me out on this front.

Personally for late beginners/early intermediates I'd say go for the best class unless cost is a factor. It's your best chance of getting good, sharp edges, which are the best way to get the confidence to get your weight forward and make them (and from there even poorly edged skis) work properly.

DDBEAU wrote:
I've never been to Ischgl and I'm going solo, so I'm a bit nervous!.

Most people who go to Ischgl tend hit the apres ski hard and get drunk - but almost universally happy-drunk. And happy drunks will make friends with anyone.

Probably the main advice is that, unlike a number of French resorts I've been to there isn't one good apres ski bar, there are a good 8 or 9 good apres ski bars. If you don't like the vibe/fit the demographic of one bar, just try another.

Oh, and regarding the seedyness ajc2260626 mentioned it can be as seedy or as wholesome as you want it to be. If you want a lap dance, go in one of the lap dance clubs. If you don't, don't. If you like hanging around with a load of men looking at some bored girls swinging their knees on the bar, go to Schatzi Bar or the one just up the hill from it. If you don't, go to one of the other 6 or 7 bars.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great resort, try to get a visit to Galtur in, its a free bus ride up the valley, and is really quiet.
@Mjit, is correct all the hire equipment is of a really good standard in Ischgl. bloody good party town.. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mjit wrote:
If you want a lap dance, go in one of the lap dance clubs. If you don't, don't.

Unless you're in on the of the apres bars that have the dancers on the bar in their underwear having notes shoved into their knicker elastic by a 90% male crowd. The difference between lap dance club and apres bar is very blurred. And seedy, imho.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice all.

@ajc2260626, I guess I chose it due to recommendations from friends and colleagues at work who have been or knew family members that have been several times, that and the skiing looks amazing. I must admit I didn't realise how much of a party spot it is until after I booked it.
I'm going on my own but if I meet people and they're up for a beer I'm fine with that, I'm 27 so I'm still game for a beery treat or 2. But at the same time I quite intend of being on the first lifts up and taking some food with me and skiing through lunchtime (accommodation is B&B, Hotel Garni Val Sinestra).

@Mjit, Thanks, you mentioned going for the best class possible, when I've looked online I presumed this meant what level or skier you were?. I.E the 'platinum' level skis for hire are for the most advanced/professional skiers?. Budget for hiring isn't really an issue as I don't think I'll be out drinking 10 beers a night and god knows what else so can allow more for other things.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bob, Thanks Bob - I've got a 'whole area' ski pass through Inghams so I think that would cover there also?.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr John wrote:
Mjit wrote:
If you want a lap dance, go in one of the lap dance clubs. If you don't, don't.

Unless you're in on the of the apres bars that have the dancers on the bar in their underwear having notes shoved into their knicker elastic by a 90% male crowd. The difference between lap dance club and apres bar is very blurred. And seedy, imho.

To the best of my knowledge (it's not the sort of place we go looking for) it's only Free Ride that's like that, and even then only the last season or 2. I've only ever seen the (bored) girls dressed in milk maid outfits on the bar in Schatzi - but we tend to skip it other than the occasional beer outside to watch the home run carnage.

If you in one of the bars that have underware dancers on the bar and you don't want to be in one of those bars, move on...to one of the bars where the women dancing on the bar are still in full ski gear, boots and all.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DDBEAU wrote:
@ajc2260626, I guess I chose it due to recommendations from friends and colleagues at work who have been or knew family members that have been several times, that and the skiing looks amazing. I must admit I didn't realise how much of a party spot it is until after I booked it.
I'm going on my own but if I meet people and they're up for a beer I'm fine with that, I'm 27 so I'm still game for a beery treat or 2. But at the same time I quite intend of being on the first lifts up and taking some food with me and skiing through lunchtime (accommodation is B&B, Hotel Garni Val Sinestra).

Shh, don't let the cat out of the bag on the Val Sinestra!

There's a really good natural rhythm to Ischgl apres ski, due to so many people being in hotels. People tend to hit the apres right off the slopes but then things start to thin out from 6:30 with a number of the apres bars stopping at 7/7:30 (re-opening at 8 as restaurants) as people head back to their hotels for their included evening meals. Sure you can drink on if you want but that's usually the wake-up call for food for us - and with a full belly after food the call of bed is usually stronger than the call of more drink, so it's back to the hotel, in bed by 11 and up for breakfast/first lift feeling fresh and not hung-over.

DDBEAU wrote:
@Mjit, Thanks, you mentioned going for the best class possible, when I've looked online I presumed this meant what level or skier you were?. I.E the 'platinum' level skis for hire are for the most advanced/professional skiers?. Budget for hiring isn't really an issue as I don't think I'll be out drinking 10 beers a night and god knows what else so can allow more for other things.

That's what I thought when I started out too but really the more you pay the newer and better maintained the kit. The cheapest might be a season or two old and only get serviced properly every few weeks. The most expensive kit's barnd new at the start of the season and will get at least a basic service every week. The first time I splashed the cash and got skis with really good edges really helped my skiing.

DDBEAU wrote:
@Bob, Thanks Bob - I've got a 'whole area' ski pass through Inghams so I think that would cover there also?.

Hard to tell what they will be calling the 'whole area' pass.

The standard is the VIP (your accommodation must be in Ischgl) pass which gives you access to the linked Austrian/Swiss area you lift up to out of Ischgl.
There's then the Flexipass that gives you the same +2 days in the bus-linked Galture/Kappl/See areas in the same valley as Ischgl.
Finally there's the Silvretta pass which gives you everything all week.

We've yet to both catching the bus.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mjit, yep, this was the Schatzi, and the milkmaid uniforms were basically underwear, complete with cash in the elastic and aggressively male crowd. We moved on but not for 45 minutes while we waited for our friends. As the first place you see off the lift/home run, thereby setting the tone, it was all pretty shabby.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy