Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2017/2018-and useful links.

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Friday and Saturday great days here, on and off-piste, 10or so cm, but really light!
First time this season (Sunday) to La Grave, where it was more of the same, but boot-deep there for some reason, not that I was complaining! Beautiful blue skies and unusually zero wind, skied all the way to the bottom at the end of the day, haven't done that for years......

IMG_2689
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, was it free passes at LG over the weekend?

We're aiming to be back in Serre late Wed - see maybe some colder weather back end of the week and dribbling ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, sadly no..........
~30cm due on Thursday Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sunny again on Monday, great piste skiing with LynnX Very Happy
Today yet another trip over to La grave, still in fantastic nick, but was involved in an avalanche.......

Untitled

Straight off the roof, straight into my pint, bummer Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing that made me laugh.
Thanks for the updates, we are heading there in 10 days so getting excited now!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So La Grave, 350euro for a guide? Who is best? First week in March.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can recommend Abdu, top guide on the off-piste bash, lives in our road but works in La Grave......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serre Che locals - The Cucumelle bbq, do you just turn up with your own sausages and get on with it yourself, or is there something more complicated than that?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@UkuleleDave, no, it is as simple as turning up with your own grub.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, super - thank you. That's lunch sorted for one day then. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is someone advertising a service to bring it there for you too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's these guys:

https://www.easyvallee.com/en/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went off the back of the Col de Mea yesterday and whilst snow looked superb it was hideous to ski, only descended down for 150m vertical then out with the skins to climb back up and drone footage was bad as well due to big time user error rolling eyes

Today was eventually tempted out by the snow and have to say was not too bad, and twas even cold and light as Jap Pow, that said went straight through it to the hard icy crud below.

Was no means epic but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

http://youtube.com/v/Sobg-nkRC7E
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
KenX wrote:
It's these guys:

https://www.easyvallee.com/en/

Thanks @KenX , I couldn't remember the company name to post a link, and Google was useless.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, Little Angel
ski holidays
Great day (again) with KenX and Team Vikings near Le Lauzet

Involved a bit of stealth skiing as a group of around 12 set out before us so we only climbed for 400m so we could get first tracks and then did a second climb to get some more Cool

Not quite touring etiquette, but there again when we saw them skiing back down all over the place trashing the slope we were glad we did what we did Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/hmvdL2_S3_Q

Presume the pistes are holding out well Toofy Grin
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

Presume the pistes are holding out well Toofy Grin

Wouldn't know.................. Laughing
ski holidays
Great video of a fantastic day, looks a bit grey in the (phone) footage, was way better in reality!
latest report
It's still a bit too far out but we are coming on the 17th (the only week we could make it) and it looks like temps might start to rise then... should we be worried at all or would it just mean nice spring conditions? We are only piste skiers...
latest report
@smudger, the skiing will be fine.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, great! Thanks
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Great video of a fantastic day, looks a bit grey in the (phone) footage, was way better in reality!

That video footage is great. Know someone who would love drone footage of him skiing with his daughter Cool. Enjoy the sunny days but hope the freshies come back also.
snow conditions
Back up to our secret garden in the trees somewhere in Nevache and was sublime as ever with just one or two old tracks and did not see anyone else apart from a deer. With Les Rando Chiens.

http://youtube.com/v/PAEl9VDOm5c

Will add some amusing pics later on - they're on my FaceBook
snow report
STOP PRESS I've just done a morning skiing on piste skis, on the piste and I wore a helmet and was using downhill boots!

And seemed to be, considering first day of the holidays bizarrely quiet with only one small queue at the Prorel.

Even at the Chazelet there were tables to be had, back of Briancon was eerily quiet and I took a lift I've never taken before, a drag Serre Pelat. And Aiguillette was empty!

We were really hoofing it (me hanging on to a very good skiers heels, Pikey) and I was using my downhill boots (only second time this season along with piste skis) which I've had blown out on the ankle bone and they were so comfortable and the difference is thigh leg burn to when I use my fat skis and rando boots was substantial, in that little or no leg burn as I was not having to fight to initiate and keep the carve going.

Stats were quite impressive - 51.2km - 2hrs 58 - ascent time 1hr 57 - descent 1hr 04 - standing around 4mins - max speed (pinch of salt) 91.3km

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move200569427
latest report
51.2 km is that up and down otherwise an average speed of 51.2 is hardcore
latest report
I'd say the 51,2kmh is average skiing speed, those 2 don't hang about!
ski holidays
Mind you, the thought of @Weathercam standing still for 4 mins is unthinkable, so maybe the stats are bogus Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dan100, 51.2 was total distance covered !!!

Very cold wind blowing today.

I stuck to cross country with my skating skis, really tough especially up the slight gradient into the head wind and track had not been pisted so very hard and icy. Coming back just had to stand up and get blown along!
ski holidays
So we're having a great time in Monetier...but feck it's cold! My beer froze on the terrace of the Frejus cafe while I was inside getting lasagne for the kids.

We've had a lovely time in the cucumellle bowl. The boarders are refusing to do the drag so we havent made it any further. WHY is that there? I think tomorrow we might head all the way down to villneuve and up the casse de boef.

It's SO quiet for half term! We are straight onto every lift- total result! If there's something we must do while we're here, all recommendations gratefully received.
ski holidays
@nem, we're down the other end of the valley in Briancon. Agreed on both counts, much quieter this year than last, and so cold today. The wife's beer suffered the same fate this afternoon - clearly not drinking quick enough.

I'm not sure this counts as a must do - but my lad (11) thought the father and son band that played yesterday in the hotel at the bottom of the prorel were hilarious. Not strictly family viewing/listening, but lots of (non-pc) fun. They're playing somewhere at serre ratier tomorrow afternoon.
snow report
@nem, there is another option, but it involves two drags, although both are much gentler that the Cretes. Head across to the far side of the piste where the drag is, There are two beginners drag lifts and take the longer drag (Barres). Then from the top ski down to the twin drag lift in the middle of the pistes. Take the left hand one(Mea), then the Pré Jeanne and Sallettes pistes which will then get you past thebottom of the Clot Gaulthier chair and on to the Cote Chevalier chair. Depending on timings, CDB might be just as quick anyway, but don't do it just before Club Med lunchtime though, as it is carnage.
As for quieter, I think that is probably because Paris holidays haven't started yet, and the local schools don't start for 2 more weeks.
snow report
@nem, Yup, certainly was cold yesterday! Weathercam and I went touring up the top end of the Vallon du Grand Tabuc which is on the left about 3/4 of the way down the Montagnolle, -20* at the top of the Yret chair on the way up Shocked
Entry to the Montagnolle was very scoured and rocky, but the run itself was fine, but very skied....
Turned left and skinned up toward the Glacier du Monetier, first time I've skinned with helmet and mitts on to keep warm!
Just 2 people ahead, a couple of Swedes we met at New Year's dinner bizarrely! They were just ahead, but breaking trail ( Very Happy ) and they decided to hike 100m higher than us, so we had the descent to ourselves!
Stunning views in this valley, ice cave high above us in the hanging glacier:

IMG_2701

And Weathercam enjoying the pow:

IMG_2709
ski holidays
Well amazing what can happen in a couple of days!

Day after that stroll up to the glacier with @KenX, I did a "Valentines" tour with my bitches up to our secret garden and found a new ascent / descent.

Temps were not as cold as the Tuesday which was bonkers and we found unexpected fresh snow and heard from others that there was fresh in Serre too.

Then forecast for yesterday looked grim with rain and temps of +8 but we awoke to minus 2 and 5cm of snow with low viz but within the hour blue sky was making an appearance, so with a few texts and WhatsApp pinging a plan was made with a friend coming over from La Grave, whilst others chose to ski there.

We did a classic run off the back in a mixture of powder and spring snow, this time going all the way to the valley floor.

http://youtube.com/v/_BJbBJmGHIw

But we paid for that sublime descent on the climb back up as temps ramped up and the fresh snow turned to stodge sticking to out skins, and it was so hot.

I was quite wasted by the end and that beer in Pi Mai tasted so good, and the Vallons piste was like you'd expect in April and all the way down Frejus every now and again you'd hit that knee wrenching velcro snow!

Forecast for tomorrow could have major implications for one of the biggest transfer day's of the year if the forecast accumulation happens!
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, Thank for the drag advice! We are staying in your apartment block I think, but in a bigger one. Loving the pool and sauna.
We have ended up driving to villneuve a couple of mornings just for a change. My husband is a snowboarder and when we try and ski from monetier he gets side tracked (literally!) By the fresh snow and we don't get far at all. I was in charge today and we made it all the way to Briancon. Beautiful weather, no queues, lovely.
Spotting les randos chiens would be the icing on the cake but I guess they have their own secret spots to hang out!
ski holidays
@nem, they were out yesterday walking from Pontillas up to the pylons whilst I was xcountry skiing.

This week did seem to be bizarrely quiet, though few times I've been out did hear/see a fair number of Brits (all of 20 or so) - we'll see what next week brings, though looks like we could well be off grid for three or so days staying here.

Heavy wet snow attempting to fall and looking at the cams top of Bacchas looking good, so suspect Lautaret will be fun n'games now.
ski holidays
Golf ball size snowflakes falling here, albeit a bit wet, bring it on Very Happy

Untitled
snow report
@nem, no problem. Pool and sauna are great aren't they? My apartment is in the smallest block in front of you on the left as you enter the car park. Hope you've had a good week and have a safe trip home.

@KenX, snowHead snowHead . Need to keep it coming down for SoPi.
snow report
Well that was damp!

In the end I was tempted and as I was going up on the shitey chair from pointless (where the snow level was) it was chucking it down.

Did two runs on Pikey's shoulder but not brilliant and viz was coming and going.

The snow was heavy and wet and so slow, so came back down into the rain, so pretty dank.
latest report
I guess that's the one (and only) plus of only having a week. Today was our last day so despite being soaked we stayed out all day, ending up lapping the bachas chair until it closed on us. Eldest is off to uni next year so it made what it always a sad last run for a year even more so.

Just got to get everything dry now to pack the car for an early trip back to Turin. Loved serre chevalier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy