Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ADMIN - please can we have a DH VTT/MTB category?

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Valais.

On the third day, I split from the youngsters, who were with a coach, to do some solo DH on fire roads. My partner had reminded me I had no 'if you find me unconscious please phone 0044 XXXX' card on me. So I went SLOOOOOw (...ish). I saw the group leave Cry D'er, whilst I headed down to Chetzeron. I took a pause halfway down to take in the incredible view across to Rawyl. When I rounded the corner, I heard the Thwap Thwap Thwap of the helicopter from Sion, and saw at a distance the riders milling around the rollers at the start of the Piste Du Dame. Praying that it was not my group, I was dismayed to hear my phone start ringing, and come up with an unknown Swiss number. That's when seconds pass like minutes. '...it's about your son...' were the first words I heard...and my heart rate went up, a lot. The next words were '...he's fine, he's at the car park with me, but another member of the group has been helicoptered off...'. My relief at Alex being OK was tempered by real sorrow that someone else would be in distress at their child's injuries. Next day, a suspect back injury had become just bad bruising....big relief to the family, who stoically said '...accidents happen...'.

Sounds a bit like winter. But VTTTTing not sliding. And with globular warming, the car park was full of DH rigs last Christmas, all doing interesting things in the winter sun.

So.........ADMIN......how about a VTT category for DH and XC threads? Many winter skiers do the crossover thing into DH. Many Snowheads are VTTers too. FGS, snowboarding is weird enough and we've got a category for that....

Any votes for having it?.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A whole 11 pages on the MTB thread in Apres.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@adithorp, ...chicken and egg...no category no posts.

I'm not talking a thread, but a category. May stop the tumbleweeds blowing through the site in the summer 'off period'.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vote for the tumbleweeds here.
If it isn't related to snowsports then a thread in Apres for those who want to have a conversation about it is fair enough . But a whole sub forum? Really?
There are a lot of folks on here into motorsport, music, technology etc. A sub forum for every special interest unrelated to snow sports? Surely there are better places for those groups to discuss their interests?
The groups of people on snowheads (skiiers, boarders, racers, freestylers, on-piste, off-piste etc.) Are all sub-sets of people who love snowsports. So snowheads is a superset of those interests. Now, there is an intersection with folks who also like DH /MTB / track cycling etc but not all those also like snowsports. Those groups collectively have a superset of 'cycleheads'. But they are not a sub-set of snowheads. So although theres an intersection (folks that like both) those people should go join a cycling site as well, and maybe petition to have a skiing section on it wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tubaski, oh well ... was worth a thought ... Snowheads gets SO SLOW in the Summer ...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2 wrote:
May stop the tumbleweeds blowing through the site ...

That is a rather mean way to describe Davina and Gerry. (accurate though) Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2 wrote:
@adithorp, ...chicken and egg...no category no posts.

Not quite. No category, one thread (this year), over 400 posts (this year)... but no posts by you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the MTB equivalent of this place is somewhere like Singletrackworld. We have the MTB thread which gets a reasonable amount of posts even in the summer http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3089884#3089884

As for our own downhilling tale of woe. Jnr went to do a trail last week, while I did another. He's 16 now so felt he should be able to do his own thing and he'd ridden this particular trail about 20 times previously. Unfortunately he overcooked things and had a tumble. First thing I knew about it was a call from the OH at which point I noticed a couple of missed calls from Jnr too. He'd made his way back to the apartment and as I was closer the OH asked me to go back to check him out...

Turns out he'd been bumped off a pedal, tried to correct it and went over the back of the saddle on to his tyre. He burnt a hole in his shorts, a hole in his short liner, a hole in his backside and trapped his bits between the tyre and his bike frame!

He was generally fine though just a touch battered in the wrong places.

So @valais2 your location says "flatlands" which probably isn't a million miles away from where I am. Where do you ride when in the UK?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for the VTT category. The motoring forum that I (and many others from here) frequent began as a TVR owners site and has since become a forum to discuss pretty much anything you can think of.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Feck me people will be wanting an Electric MTB thread as well next rolling eyes
As people say what's wrong with the MTB thread?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hammerite, ....around Cambridge - but tend to do early morning blasts on the road bike and then head off to the South Downs for some single track nonsense in Stamner Woods and some long haul across to Eastbourne from Brighton.

Thetford is fun, good berm practice, but sandy as hell, and wreaks havoc with the bikes when it's wet - I do more maintenance when we've had a wet morning there than 6 months on the South Downs...

Sounds v nasty and v painful re bits in frame. Hope recovery happening fast.

@telford_mike, one for, then.

@adithorp, @Weathercam, well I can start using it, but I think a category would get more traffic onto the site....I am v active re skiing and since there has no category re MTB I've stayed quiet ... I've been writing articles about mountain-biking for 30 years though. Remember Mint Sauce? I've ridden with Jo B in my Brighton days, along with other UK founders of MTB-ing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@valais2, Jnr is fine and once he got over the initial shock found it quite amusing. I'm a stones throw from Chicksands and ride Woburn quite a bit too. All good fun, but nothing like being in the Alps!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:

Can we have a stop running red lights thread as well 👹👹👹👹
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GlasgowCyclops, that's in the road bike thread Wink

Don't think there's a huge need for a separate cycling section, as others have said the existing thread doesn't get enough action and if people really want MTB discussion then singletrackworld caters for it. The nature of snow sports means that the forum will always go slow during the summer regardless of how all-encompassing the rest of the site is.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think the MTB equivalent of this place is somewhere like Singletrackworld.

Correct.

Although it's mostly about gravel and road bikes these days! Oh, and arguing. Smile
ski holidays
@Carlos the Slackal, ..arguing

bit like snow heads on a bad day, then....
snow report
There's nowhere that can argue quite like STW........
snow report
Umm. Should I know what VTT stands for? Puzzled
snow conditions
@Carlos the Slackal, it's certainly an art form over there!

jonm wrote:
Umm. Should I know what VTT stands for? Puzzled

French for MTB. Velo Tout Terrain.
latest report
well I did think that this suggestion might wake up the trenches. A few illumination rounds and then a quick barrage...

Right...that all sounds like a 'no' then....

Oh well.

I'll do some posts on the MTB thread and see how it goes.

Just starting a new DH build for young Alex since he's growing like crazy and there's a few interesting aspects relating to it, plus some diversification issues in resort in the face of global market changes and climate change. But all that on the mtb thread....
ski holidays
@hammerite, ah, thanks.
latest report
@jonm, Something to do with Honda engines and trick cams I think...
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, clever idea. My Renault has it too, although it's much less obvious than on the proper Hondas.
ski holidays
Well I'd quite fancy a MTB category Happy

I get the point about there being lots of other sub groups in to skiing, but I think one difference is a good proportion of DH riders will generally go to the Alps and hence advice on resorts etc would cross over well.

Plus like Valais said no one really posts much over summer so what does it matter anyway?
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

Oh yeh baby snowHead
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Can we have a stop running red lights thread as well 👹👹👹👹

Add to that a:

- Use the sOddington cycleway thread
- don't go up the inside of a turning wagon and expect not to be squished thread
- a getting off you bike, pushing it over the pedestrian crossing to avoid the red light thread
- and a Lycra in all circumstances is not ok thread.

We do need an ice hockey thread though!
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
We do need an ice hockey thread though!

I concur.
snow conditions
I'll go for an ice hockey thread will keep my interest in the NHL up rather than just remembering when it comes to Stanley Cup.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Go Philies!
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I'll go for an ice hockey thread will keep my interest in the NHL up rather than just remembering when it comes to Stanley Cup.

I'm a Leafs fan, it's a case of paying attention during the regular season or just not watching Very Happy
ski holidays
All depends who supports who though.

Rangers/San Jose fan myself, wee lad if Philies, Bro is those sodding Pingus.
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, a who fan?? Not heard of them in a while, I thought they'd fallen asleep for a few years Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@PaulC1984, my brother lives in Toronto so they're kinda my team by default. Things are on the up though, with the young blood that's coming through (especially Auston Matthews) and Babcock at the helm things are definitely more positive. I still miss the days that every time the fourth line stepped on the ice you knew that there was going to be a fight Very Happy Or the time there was a line brawl in a pre-season game against the Sabres.
snow report
Haha so true.

Do you watch any in the UK?
snow report
I've been to Cardiff, Guildford and Basingstoke over the last few years, but the closest of them is a 2 hour drive to can be a bit of hassle. I'm hoping to catch a few more games this season though as a mate that watches a bit has moved to within half a mile of the Guildford rink.
snow conditions
With flames going up it should make for an interesting year!! Happy
ski holidays
Swindon Wildcats here Happy
ski holidays
@Timberwolf, flipping good team. Enjoyed watching them play against phoenix in their last game last season
snow report
How about those Sens eh?
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, jesus who?!

Leafs have been bad enough, but Sens!!! Lord oh lord find a new team Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy