Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites specific questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I did a search but couldn't find specific answers.
1. Does the Madonna area (Brenta) get more snow than the Sella Ronda area?
2. Is the Sella Ronda disjointed? It appears from the map there is plenty of walking in ski boots involved. Is this the case?
3. When skiing at Selva for example how does one cross from one side of the town to the other? It appears the bus only travels the main road.
4. I am planning visiting Europe for the first time and would ski the Sella Ronda area in mid January. I don't want to spoil the experience by skiing on white ribbons of man made snow with green and brown off piste. Am I best off planning to ski somewhere more snow sure and go back in Feb or March another year?
5. Arevthere ski lockers in the main gondola stations to save walking to and from accomodation in ski boots?
Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. I don't think so, but you might find some stats on that. Sella Ronda has the Marmolada glacier for high altitude skiing, and Arabba itself is pretty high.
2. Not really. There used to be more crossings but they've gradually been upgraded. In fact the only one I can think of is the road crossing at Selva. Most now have a bridge or small lift.
3. If you follow the Sella Ronda signs you can cross easily at those points. One is a bridge and the other is a road crossing. Neither are very far.
4. Most years have been fine in January, but the last two have not with the first big snowfalls arriving right at the end of Jan or early Feb. piste skiing will be fine whenever, but you may be better to book later months or wait and book January last minute if the snow looks good if you want it to look pretty.
5. Probably, I think I've seen some in the big stations. Try individual resort websites for details.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sbooker, If you're flexible about dates then be sure to book your visit when the British, Dutch and Scandi schools are not on holiday. There is a thread on here which details the school holidays in easy to read chart form.

Forget your walking worries - there is nothing but 50m or so in Selva

Ski hire shops have lockers - pick one near your home lift station.

It's a brilliant area - highly recommended. Selva is a cracking place to stay, as is Arabba
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Dolomites have a shed load of snow making and they are very good at managing the snow they have. Yes there have been season starts on white ribbons.
Mid Jan and the mountains should be snow covered but with global warming who knows.

If you are a pure skier then stay in Arabba I like the hotel Malita which is well placed for the Sella in either direction as well as the Marmolada. If you like a bit of night life then Selva is better.

I can only recall one spot on the Sella where you had to cross a road [ 20 yds ] and that was at the Lupo Bianca. [ great lunch spot. ]

I don't remember any lockers in or near the bottom of the lifts in Selva or anywhere on the Sella. I think I saw boot and ski lockers at the bottom of Alta Badia.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is no snow in the dolomites anymore unless you get lucky
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbooker, As everyone else as said.

I went a couple of years back to Selva, there will always be skiing as the dolomites (dare I say it) have probably the best snow making facilities around, admittedly you may not be able to go off piste all the time if thats what you are after.

The Sella Ronda it self has minimal walking if any at all. We had a couple of walks of like a minute, just to get up to the Passo Pordoi. As for in Selva itself depending on where you are staying there is one bridge crossing which you will have to de ski for, or a small walk up to the nursery slopes to get the Poma up to the Dantercepies lift.

One of the best places I've skied. Enjoy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nixmap wrote:

I must have dreamt skiing on Birthday Bashes since 2009. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I must have dreamt that year where I had to clear 40cm of snow off my car every night, and they had to dig the lifts out and climbed on all the roofs to remove that white fluffy stuff, and take it away in dump truck to empty downstream in the river.

Must be a total of about 100 yards walking on the Sella Ronda round trip now. And fancy traffic lights iirc, so there's no conflict or playing frogger to cross over the road in Selva.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
nixmap wrote:

I must have dreamt skiing on Birthday Bashes since 2009. Toofy Grin

Yep, the 2014 Birthday Bash was particularly bad......

Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dolomites are amazing, full stop, end or story, beats France etc hands down.

Listen to Scarlet, she knows what she is talking about, and being ginger I'd not dare say otherwise.

Joking appartment you will have an amazing time. Ok Jan has been a bit early the last 2 years but the snow making facilities is siply amazing. You will be spoilt for choice.

As for ski lockers, chest out ski schools as well - we leave our kit at one of the ski schools in arraba at the bottom of the slope, not very well advertised - google earth/street view is your friend - find a lift, see if there is a building nearby and see if it's a ski school etc - Google name and bingo fire them an email and I'm sure they will have lockers.

Have fun, you will have a great time (ps you will get fat too - the food and hot chocolate is just too good!!!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PaulC1984 wrote:
Have fun, you will have a great time (ps you will get fat too - the food and hot chocolate is just too good!!!)

Forgot the best bit ... the FOOD!
There's a great pizza place at the very top of Selva (Plan De Graba) opposite the Piz Sella Lift. Has an old gondola outside.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sbooker,
Other people know them better than myself, but one point of consideration of the snow record and booking in advance.
Whereas my impression is that the dollies snow is a little more erratic than elsewhere anywhere may have poor snow. The worst snow I have personally experienced in January pre snow making was Tignes. In January anywhere can have poor snow, if you want to maximise your chances of getting good snow, don't book till late.
Having said that if I was booking in advance and was not an off piste fiend the dollies would be one of the places I would choose because their snow making is so extensive and well run.
I have been there the last two seasons and had great piste skiing on superb pistes with very little natural snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nixmap wrote:
So I will have to negotiate with my other half to guarantee snow? I'd better get her something especially nice for Christmas then Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy