Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pacific Northwest/BC 2016-17

Poster: A snowHead
Winter is rocking here in the Pacific Northwest. Whistler was fantastic last weekend and we hit Crystal this weekend. With a Saturday night storm forecast, we stayed on the mountain after skiing Saturday (it's about 1 hr 45 mins from our house so we left early Saturday to ski). And what a storm - 18 inches in the parking lot. Incredible ski day.

Pics/report at https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/crystal-delivers-deep/

Planning to head back to Whistler next weekend. Some proper cold weather coming in - we might even get some snow in Seattle Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks great! Sadly I was out of commission with a sore hamstring. Sad I'll be taking Thursday and Friday off this week for the forecast storm coming. Hope it is half as good as what Sunday delivered. Good on you getting after it Gotonator!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hate hamstrings!!

End of week sounds promising. We'll be at Whistler. Have to bump into you up at Crystal soon!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good photos. Good start to season.

Another few days of snow forecast for Seattle to Portland this week...

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flying out to whistler friday , low freezing levels , regular snow fall and cold temps look set to make for a great two weeks skiing snowHead

friends in vancouver reporting city snow chaos this morning Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dabber,
Yep. Chaos indeed. Avoided anywhere with a hill on my way in to work today (kind of tricky if you live in North Van, but generally was fine there, Vancouver itself was bad).
Going to get much colder later this week, and unusually still forecast to snow quite a bit - last time that happened I recall crashing into a tree because the powder wasn't slowing me down like usual! snowHead
Coverage is very good for this time of year. Hit up quite a few spots at the weekend that wouldn't normally be a go until later in the season. Still have to be a bit careful as it is definitely early season, especially lower down (still can't ski out if you like your skis), but pretty decent
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stuarth, cheers for update , got new skis for this season , so might have to break my "don't ever down lift " rule Embarassed hope the next storm on wed/thurs/fri will cover things up a bit more Smile but whatever the weather didn't expect to have so much to go at this time of year snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gortonator wrote:
hate hamstrings!!

End of week sounds promising. We'll be at Whistler. Have to bump into you up at Crystal soon!

Yes, it was one of those things that I should have avoided. Got dehydrated on the hike up the King on Saturday. My water bottle fell out of the pack somewhere on Chair 6. But didn't want to miss the rope drop into Southback, which I made and got fresh tracks in Silver Basin. Looking at how things turned out for Sunday, I should have not pushed things. I'll be back East for Christmas, and then back to the old Cascade stomping grounds in WA and OR for New Years. So it could be tough if there's lots of fresh snow dumps while I'm gone. But I may just end up sledding in boot top CT pow with the nieces and nephew! Looking forward to bumping into you at some point this season! Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Next storm coming on Thursday. It looks to be sagging South, with most energy setting it's sights on Mt. Hood in Oregon. Southern Cascades could be in for a small repeat of last weekend. Whistler looking to get a touch up of a few cm's here and there. But cold temps in the Alpine, will make for chalky, dry snow. Possibly another series of storms coming in the following week. Too soon to know just yet. But looks promising in the 10-12 day range.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think (hope) it's going to be more than a touch up (though if it could completely miss just the highway that would be good). Weather warning for heavy snow in the lower mainland Thursday and Friday. Whistler forecast is for about 5 to 15cm per day
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mt Baker calling for 20cm-30cm over the Thursday/Friday period. Could very well be more than just a touch up. We'll know for sure in a few days! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're driving up to Whistler Thursday afternoon. Friday could be another powder day Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gortonator wrote:
We're driving up to Whistler Thursday afternoon. Friday could be another powder day Smile

Seems to be mostly just really cold in Whistler, most of the snow is forecast a little further south (good for the local mountains, not so good for Whistler/getting to Whistler!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stuarth, we land from uk around 7pm friday night , and driving straight up to whistler, how long would you allow for the drive up from the airport to whistler if the low freezing level and snow thats predicited low down arrives friday day time , have done the drive loads of time , but strangely never in falling snow and ice Skullie
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dabber,

Hopefully by the time you get out of the airport things will have cleared up a bit by then, both in terms of snow and evening traffic, so say 2 1/2 hours as you'll want to take it easy on the Sea to Sky Highway as it'll likely be slippery.
Are you driving or getting the coach? This might be a good time for a coach trip as getting rental cars with winter tyres can be difficult (though technically now you just need M+S rather than full on winter tyres on the highway, but I swap off my M+S tyres for winter tyres in November!). Also the coach drivers make that trip a lot. That drive won't be much fun Friday night after a long flight!
I'm heading up Saturday morning and will probably head out 30 mins earlier than usual to account for the conditions. On the plus side there is not a huge amount of snow forecast so the road will probably not shut and as long as you take your time you'll be fine
snow conditions
@stuarth, cheers , have a jeep cheerocke with winter tyres booked so that should be fine , will take it steady and load up with coffee and cakes before we set off , if its really bad will crash at pinnacle on pier friday night and head up early doors saturday Very Happy will have to try and get together on slopes sometime , have fun saturday snowHead
snow report
@Dabber,
You might also want to take a quick look at the traffic on google maps if you have data here (or text me and I'll do it for you if not), as the current forecast is for snow friday turning to rain lower down - this could turn downtown vancouver into a gong show as you have to contend with city drivers on hilly less major, less clear roads and several bridges. A better route maybe to go east slightly on Marine drive, then up Boundary or Rupert (bit of a hill to contend with here, but fairly busy routes) to the highway - that way your major crossing will be on the second narrows and major climb on the n.shore is on highway 1.
snow report
Storm track is being adjusted. Now it looks to be coming in later Thursday morning, with Southern Cascades, i.e. Mt Hood getting hit first, then the storm will work its way up in a NW direction. Most snow will probably fall late afternoon in Central Cascades, into the late Thursday evening for Northern Cascades, i.e. Mt Baker, into Friday morning. It doesn't appear as of yet that Whistler will get much from this storm track currently forecast. That could obviously change. Still forecast to be cold, however. So what does fall should be good quality.

latest report
It's coming.... This for Mt Hood

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.6688576341901&lat=45.34194381514135#.WEl9DrIrIdV

Detailed Forecast
TodaySnow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 20. Wind chill values as low as -8. East wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.
TonightSnow. Temperature rising to around 26 by 11pm. West southwest wind 16 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
FridaySnow before 10am, then snow showers after 10am. High near 25. Breezy, with a west southwest wind around 23 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
Friday NightSnow showers. Low around 23. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 22 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
SaturdaySnow showers. High near 25. Windy, with a west wind 31 to 33 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Saturday NightSnow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 22. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
SundaySnow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 25. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When all is said and done, there could be over a meter of freshies in the Cascades. Very Happy
snow conditions
That should fill in Heather Canyon!!! A pre-Xmas trip perhaps Smile

Our drive up to Whistler should be pretty cruisy with weather coming from south. Backed off on pow forecast but hopefully there will be some fun to be had up there tmr
snow conditions
gortonator wrote:

Our drive up to Whistler should be pretty cruisy with weather coming from south.

Wouldn't bet on it! Madeye-Smiley
Snowmaggedon part II forecast for Vancouver tonight and tomorrow. There was enough chaos this week with only a few cms!
I'm certainly not planning on the drive up/back this weekend being straightforward and I'm quite a bit closer.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 8-12-16 16:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
We should be through Vancouver by 6pm ... fingers crossed!!
ski holidays
gortonator wrote:
We should be through Vancouver by 6pm ... fingers crossed!!

Ah, missed your post above about which day! Embarassed
Good plan - I should probably have gone with the travel tonight option too! snowHead

It's just really cold at the moment, but all the major roads are clear and fairly dry so shouldn't be too bad - well no worse than usual! In fact probably better as quite a few people not venturing out making the traffic a bit lighter
snow report
gortonator wrote:
That should fill in Heather Canyon!!! A pre-Xmas trip perhaps Smile

Our drive up to Whistler should be pretty cruisy with weather coming from south. Backed off on pow forecast but hopefully there will be some fun to be had up there tmr

Was thinking of driving down today, after work but I-5 will be a mess. So just going to stay put and have to make due with a foot or so at Crystal. And then do the 45 minute drive on Saturday up to Snoqualmie and noodle around in the 20" or so they should be getting.
ski holidays
@stuarth, good call . will have data so will trust to google maps as usual but set journey via marine and the iron workers bridge , load up with coffee and cookies and take our time , sunday mourning looking good , but next week is going to be soooooo cold snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Dabber wrote:
@stuarth, good call . will have data so will trust to google maps as usual but set journey via marine and the iron workers bridge , load up with coffee and cookies and take our time , sunday mourning looking good , but next week is going to be soooooo cold snowHead snowHead snowHead

that's not cold. It's not even winter yet. Man up SmileSmile snowHead

Should be a pretty darn good week actually - I may be jealous. hate work ....
snow report
gortonator wrote:
Dabber wrote:

that's not cold. It's not even winter yet. Man up SmileSmile snowHead

Should be a pretty darn good week actually - I may be jealous. hate work ....

Ha! Got to pay for that habit somehow! Lottery would be nice, but for time being I work to pay for the skiing habit! Razz
ski holidays
@gortonator, +17' in uk today -20' in whistler monday = big difference for me , but i don't mind at all , finished work today for two weeks skiing , don't be jealous this season is gonna be all time for you guys in the PNW snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Work colleague says it's snowing in downtown Portland. Bachelor already at 8" on the snow stake and growing!
latest report
About 20 cm to 30 cm in the Cascades overnight was snowing on and off throughout the day. Snowing much harder when I left at 2:30. Still forecasting another 20cm-30cm over night.

latest report
25cm of new overnight, and temps still cold = light fluffy snow for the Cascades. Back to the scene of the crime at Crystal. We were blessed with a bluebird morning. Couldn't ask for better conditions. Great start to the season in the PNW.

Lots of face shots today.

Found the white room.

Just a great day today. Should be more on tap for Sunday, before things go cold and dry for the start of the week. Forecasts hinting at a repeat as we get into the following weekend.

latest report
Looks fantastic Toadman. Whistler has been good but not epic. Had 3-5 inches of super nice snow this morning and early runs on 7th Heaven and Blackcomb glacier were sweet. Been snowing most of afternoon/evening so might get a decent small topup for Sunday.

Def like sound of a storm for next weekend Smile
snow report
Mt Baker at 14" snowfall and 13" at Meadows this morning. Looks like they win the prize for snow totals for Sunday morning.
ski holidays
This looks interesting and promising....

Extended Forecast for
Mount Bachelor OR
Click here for hazard details and duration
Winter Storm Watch
Today

Detailed Forecast
TodayPartly sunny, with a high near 22. Southwest wind around 6 mph.
TonightA 20 percent chance of snow after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. South wind 6 to 8 mph.
WednesdaySnow. High near 29. Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.
Wednesday NightSnow. Low around 21. West wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
ThursdaySnow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 27. West wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
ski holidays
very promising!!! not sure we'll get much beyond Crystal, Stevens, Snoqualmie or Mission this weekend though
ski holidays
gortonator wrote:
very promising!!! not sure we'll get much beyond Crystal, Stevens, Snoqualmie or Mission this weekend though

Yep, the storms will stay to the South and East of WA this go around.
latest report
There's a foot of snow in my relatives' driveway in Bend! Going to be a good day at Bachelor on Thursday! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bachelor got a nice dose of snow these past two days. Light pow on Wednesday, and a bit heavier on Thursday. Started to clear up a bit at the end of the day. The trees were very good today. They have very good coverage right now. Once they get the summit chair running, should be very good.

ski holidays
Really cold in the interior at the moment -27.5, but tons of snow and forecast to warm up at the weekend. Setting up nicely.

BC Highway cams... much more reliable than resort snow reports:
http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/index-Northern.html

It's been a season or two since there's been that much at the coast down there by Whistler at this time of year, for example Function Junction:
http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/178.html

Game on.
snow conditions
@philwig,
Snow all the way on the Sea to Sky. In fact was worse nearer to Vancouver than Whistler last weekend.
Mostly here its just been really cold, but getting a bit more back to normal by the end of the coming weekend - hopefully the temps wont go too high.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy