Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Oh, absolutely you can skid in for 9.30,; in your op you said you needed to be there by 9.15.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scamper, 9.15 is the meeting time but it doesn’t actually start until 9.30 so we should be ok as long as I let them know...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sat back home in England, skiing done for the year Sad
The calf muscle seems to be improving rapidly, so hopefully no long term damage, thanks for the concern folks. The head first sled off the mountain experience isn't much fun - kind of claustrophobic and left on your own with all those pessimistic thoughts of 'How badly have I hurt myself, am I going to be able to ski again this week, am I still going to be able to go trekking in Nepal in 3 weeks time...?'
Enjoy the rest of the season if you are still out there, there's certainly enough snow!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@karin, hope recovery is speedy

Just left 2000 and snowing again. Snow line around 1600 with more snow due during the day. If driving up I would make sure to be prepared. It is not spring weather.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For people arriving today and wanting to shop - the super u is still open but there is a lot of building work going on in the area in front of the building which makes it look like it wouldn't be.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi there - am arriving in 1800 on 31st March. Will be skiing alone in the mornings and with 9 year old who can ski reasonable black runs in the afternoon - looking for others to ski with of any standard. Anyone else be around and fancy meeting up?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Home, another year over and what a year it was....too much snow Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Boarded most of the time we were there this year which is our preference but also an indication of how much fresh there is. Also so much snow means that most runs are open which makes the place a lot quieter in general.

The opening of the Pre Saint lift has made the bowl busier, its a rat run now for lessons, noticeable how much quieter Marmotte lift is. The run is lovely down to Pre but narrow and when busy it is ugly, became a run to avoid. If they replace Comborciere this summer it will be another great addition to moving people around the area. Carelly is a huge favourite of ours.

Our new favourite run is Grand Renard, we spent 10 years going left towards Peisey and then in January we took a right and wow. Brilliant on a board to, loads of places to play on the side, often very quiet too as the ski schools go left towards Peisey. Anyway anyone heading out, enjoy, Easter is looking good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After 5 hour delay (3 in airport, 2 on tarmac) we have arrived at Chambery minus skis!!! Apparently they got a different flight but we will see!!!

Hoping they will be here tonight as have a busy day planned tomorrow...

Last thing I expected was to be flying out of an airport with more snow than where we were flying to!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tonyswift, don't worry, there's plenty up on the mountain.
Grey day today with low cloud and flat light but you should have at least a couple of sunny days. At the moment, Wednesday is forecast to be "bluebird". Fingers crossed 😀
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Scamper, - can’t wait to get out in the morning although I am hoping I don’t have to rent skis!!!

You still out here then??!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, final week though - cue panic skiing as we try to make the most of it 😁😁
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very Happy
First lift / Last lift each day - every minute on the snow!! At least we get a bit longer at this time of year!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arrived yesterday, early flight so missed the fun at Heathrow.

First day boarding today. Had to sort my sons ski school in the morning and a lesson in the afternoon so didn't get many miles in.

Can't complain about ESF, been very good so far.

We go this week every year for the spring weather so that has been missing so far. Not needed my base layers for many years but certainly needed today.

Snow in great condition. Only difficulty was the flat light. Thought we might get lucky as there were blue skies at breakfast but the low cloud steadily built over the day.

Did some laps around pre saint esprit and arcabulle.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @linkem, we're arriving on the 24th. Staying just below 1600 so interested in the lower snow levels & coverage.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
People are still skiing down to Granges but snow has gone lower down.
ski holidays
Scamper wrote:

Does this mean that it's not possible to ski down to villaroger now then too?
snow report
willirvine wrote:
Scamper wrote:

Does this mean that it's not possible to ski down to villaroger now then too?

Villaroger is more snow sure than ever this season. They installed a whole load of new cannons too for this season.
snow report
Sorry, I was just thinking of the area under the funicular.
I went down to villaroger last week and it was fine. I guess they have snow cannons along the route.
I'll try and have a look for you later in the week, although conditions do change from day to day.

Edit: thanks Chris

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 18-03-18 19:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@ChrisKernow,

Apparently they have big plans for Villaroger for next season - there was an article in the Guardian.
Villaroger, Les Arcs’ poor relation, set to reinvent itself as ‘green resort’

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/oct/14/villaroger-les-arcs-redevelop-green-ski-resort-france-french-alps?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
ski holidays
Great to hear about the developments for Villaroger. Some of the skiing over there is great.
ski holidays
@TallGuyUK, we are also in 1800 that week...
ski holidays
@TallGuyUK, @Fruity, I'll be around as well...
snow conditions
Weather started overcast in 1800/1600 today but blue sky in the 2000 bowl which remained this way until about 2pm when the clouds came in and whiteout conditions exited along the ridge. Pistes in excellent condition everywhere I went. More blue sky tomorrow, with any luck snowHead .
snow report
Been snowing for a while as well so reckon we may find some fresh powder tomorrow!!!
snow report
The livecam at arc 2000 certainly looks as though they've got a little more than the 2cm forecast Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
Looking forward to getting out this morning. Yesterday started blue skies in 2000. After lunch went over to 1800 via the comborciere lift . The morning sun made for the softest conditions so far this week but still lovely.

Cloud rolled in from mid afternoon and the snow fall looked more than I was expecting from the forecasts.
ski holidays
We head out to 1800 next week (leaving UK Thursday) for arrival in resort Saturday. I am presuming taking the snow chains will be advisable?
snow report
Fruity wrote:
We head out to 1800 next week (leaving UK Thursday) for arrival in resort Saturday. I am presuming taking the snow chains will be advisable?

If you have them you should always take them. You just never know.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
Fruity wrote:

If you have them you should always take them. You just never know.

Always.... Cool
snow report
Always do, but haven't ever needed them (normal conditions at Easter have been shorts and teeshirts LOL)... getting excited by the prospect of this Easter ski holiday though! Must do a refresher 'put on' session at the weekend!
snow conditions
Fruity wrote:
Always do, but haven't ever needed them (normal conditions at Easter have been shorts and teeshirts LOL)... getting excited by the prospect of this Easter ski holiday though! Must do a refresher 'put on' session at the weekend!

There is a thing called sods law Happy I've needed chains three times in maybe 40 driving trips. This time of year less likely but still happens.
latest report
Another question, would you prebook covered car parking or wait till you arrive in resort? I never got an answer to my roof box question on another thread... so curious if its worth bothering to pay 87 euro up front...
snow conditions
@Fruity, we've been driving to resort, with a roofbox, for over 20 years, and in all that time have only had covered parking once. Probably not necessary?
latest report
@Fruity, I definitely wouldn't bother paying for covered parking at this time of the year. TBH I have never payed for undercover parking. Occasionally this has necessitated clearing snow off the car but as my labour is cheap I can liver with it. TBH it's far less likely to be an issue at this time of the year (this December just gone, I had to do a lot of digging!).

As you have figured you have to be very careful your car + roofbox will fit anyway. Many don't.

I've never stayed in 1800 so not sure of the outdoor parking situation. We tend to stay in places where there on street parking options.
snow report
I was more concerned with finding a space at the resort...I know 1800 gets busy - it’s not free up there anyway. It’s the first apartment we’ve booked that didn’t have a parking space in the deal. Cheers though!
ski holidays
Fruity wrote:
I was more concerned with finding a space at the resort...I know 1800 gets busy - it’s not free up there anyway.

Ah, wasn't sure if that was the case - that there is no free parking.

Just tried a dummy booking for you and it asks you if the height of your vehicle is under 1m83 or between 1m83 and 2m30.

If you choose the lower limit you get a choice of three car parks.

If you choose the higher limit you get Charmettoger only. So I am guessing that if you are under 2m30 you can book there otherwise it's open air.

No option to pre-book the open air parking.

You have to book 7 days in advance so I think you will have to be quick.

At 87 for covered and 70 for open air it's probably worth doing the covered if you can.
snow report
@Fruity, at this time of the year I wouldn't sweat getting an outdoor space on the day if that is what you end up doing. It's just down to if you can fit and want to pay a bit extra for the covered option.
snow report
When we bought in Arc 2000 the undergound parking spot cost 15k euro.
latest report
Cheers@Layne,
I think we will leave it and see what happens when we arrive. There will be space, I am 100% sure. We had an issue at the last covered carpark and had to take the topbox off outside the apartment! Toofy Grin Let's just hope the promised cold snap brings lots of snow next week and then a few bluebird days the week after!
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
When we bought in Arc 2000 the undergound parking spot cost 15k euro.

Sounds a lot of cash but I kind of get the cost of parking at the higher altitude stations as there is less space, it's more effort to keep the roads clear, you get more snow, cold temps in general - so there are lots of benefits to discouraging cars and/or ability to make money from it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy