Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@snowcrazy, I'll give it a miss, thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In BSM - started snowing early hours of the morning, 2cm fresh at 7am, forecast to continue snowing all day. Should be great tomorrow!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks really good this morning. Snow on my grass. Maybe 5cm by now. Higher up should be fun today. Time to go.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thursday 1st February. What a day! Powder everywhere we went. At least above our knees and sometimes a lot deeper. Just look at the powder clouds we skied through!

We did not ski many pistes today, but the ones we did were in excellent condition. Fresh snow on a firm base. Really nice!

The Off piste was excellent as well. Hardly anyone around so loads of places to put down fresh tracks. We started by playing around the Cachette trees. Then into the Mont Blanc forest and then the Malgovert forest. And all this before lunch.

Then a fast ski across too the other side of Peisey and all the way down through the trees and meadows to just above Moulin. A harder base on that side of the mountain, but still with powder on top to make your turns.

Finally another fast ski dropping off people on the way until we reached Arc 1600 and home.

Take a look at the photos for today and see the amazing condition's. They say the sun should come out tomorrow. It promises to be an amazing day! Fingers crossed!Very Happy snowHead

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1603524249724035

For anyone wanting to join us tomorrow. You will need to PM me before 9am for details of the meeting place. It depends on the weather in the morning and which lifts they will open first! But we plan to be up in resort by 9.30 as the higher lifts open. Remember you must have Arvi gear and know how to use it if you want to come off piste with us!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Friday 2 Feb. What a day! Yesterday we were skiing in poor light mostly in the trees with powder clouds rising up around us as we bounced through fresh snow in the forests!

Today we arrived at the Bellecote Glacier just after it opened and had blue sky and more deep fresh untracked powder everywhere we went.

Managed a couple of laps of the Bellecote bowl and another route down the North Face in more excellent snow. Soft and fluffy with no tracks. There is something special about going down a route first! It always gives you a buzz!

Finally made it back to Les Arcs and a fast ski back to Arc 1600 and home.

The pistes are in excellent condition and everywhere you go is really fun! Be careful off piste, it can slide. But choose the right route and you will have an amazing time.

More powder tomorrow! Anyone wanting to join us needs to PM me before 9am to get meet up details. Fingers crossed for another blue sky day. Photos from today to follow shortly!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saturday 3 February. Another amazing day on the Petit North Face of the Bellecote. Still plenty of places to put down fresh tracks top to bottom!

After leaving Arc 1600 and a little detour to check out the powder we made it to the Vanoise Express. All the signs said the links were closed and so was the Bellecote. Not put off we headed across to find the Salla chair was open and then continued up the top of the Roche de Mio. The Bellecote gondola was still shut so we headed down through the cliffs! Oh boy! The Bellecote Chair started to move and then amazing! So did the Bellecote Gondola! Luck was with us and with only a slight delay we made it to the top of the Petit North Face.

Well that was our journey across. The pistes on the Les Arcs and La Plagne sides were excellent! The lifts were not too busy and the sun started to shine! It was going to be a good day after all!

If you want to see our trip down the North Face take a look at the photos in the February 2018 album in the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Just scroll down towards the end starting with the photo of the top of the Traverse Chair! Fresh tracks top to bottom in awesome powder yet again. What a great trip followed by a nice drink and then a late lunch. Thanks guys!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1603524249724035

More to follow tomorrow. Another big trip is planned! Sorry, for tomorrow the group is already full, unless the weather changes. PM me on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page, not here in the mornings. I only check this thread in the evenings. if you are interested in joining in one of our adventures. You are best to check the night before, but always no later than 9am on the morning we are going. You must have full Arvi gear to come with us and know how to use it!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wednesday 7 February. Just posted the last photos from earlier this week. Take a look in the February 2018 Album to see what fun you can still have even in flat light.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1603524249724035 (Remember you need to scroll down through the photos to find the most recent one.)

Couloir skiing is always good when the light is flat to help find your way. Simple, you go only one way, down! But make sure you know you are in the right place. Choose the wrong entrance and it would not be funny!

I have been told it was flat light today below the high ridges due to clouds hanging at around 2600m most of the day. Above the clouds you could find the sun! What amazing views.

The pistes are starting to get busier now that the French School holidays have begun. Hope the lift queues are not too big next week. Right now the pistes are holding up well although they were getting quite icy on the more popular runs. The near off piste is well skied, but still fun. You can still find fresh tracks if you are willing to work a bit harder for your turns with a little hiking.

I look forward to being back on the hill by Friday. See you all again shortly. Anyone wanting to join us next week. Please send me a PM for more details. It should be a fun week with skiers and boarders of different levels and ages! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Friday 9 Feb. Nice to be back and another fun day out finding more fresh tracks in far away places.

Today we headed into the National Park from the top of the Bellecote. This meant starting at Arc 1600. Getting across to La Plagne and up to the top of the Bellecote Glacier mostly on pistes. Then all the way back to Nancoix off piste and bus too Peisey Vallandry before heading over to Arc 1600 on piste and home. We did have to do some climbing and hiking at times, but the fresh untracked snow made it worth the effort. We even managed a little couloir as a warm up off the Roche de Mio.

It was a great way to avoid the crowds now starting to arrive, filling the pistes and causing lift queues. For all those that enjoy piste skiing. The conditions are still very good, although some busy runs do become quite icy later in the day. Just choose your routes to stay in the sun and you can have a great ski in Les Arcs and over on the La Plagne side. Today everywhere was open.

Take a look at the photos in the Feb 2018 Album to see where we went today and the great untracked soft snow we were still finding. Remember to scroll down towards the end of the album to see the latest posts. New Feb Half Term 2018 Album coming shortly.

For anyone wishing to join us tomorrow. As it is change over day we will be heading over to the La Plagne side. It is forecast to snow a little tonight so hope to find plenty of fresh tracks again when the clouds clear later in the morning.

An easier day after the big tour today so everyone is welcome. We plan to find somewhere nice to eat if the weather is bad. However you still need to bring Arvi Gear as we will be heading off piste if the vis is OK. Meeting at 10am Vanoise Express.

For all those driving out or arriving tomorrow. It will be busy. There are around 30,000 plus cars expected on the roads in the valley and there might be more snow falling tonight. Although I expect the roads will be OK by mid morning. My advice, if driving into the ski stations keep your chains handy in case you need them.

Hope to see some of you over the next week. Sunday meet up details will be posted tomorrow after skiing. Have a good holiday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Moody weather today, pistes good with a few icy patches

Went down roulles today for the first time and enjoyed it

Quiet on the slopes before puntermaggedon tomorrow
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saturday 10 Feb. How long will this powder last?!

Today as planned we went across to the Bellecote as quickly as we could. The cloud was climbing from the valley and blowing in from the North West so it was a race before they closed the gondola up to the glacier.

(They seem to have a new rule this year that if the Helicopter cannot fly/land on the Bellecote Glacier, they will not open the gondola or they close the link for safety reasons. This is new to me! I have not heard this announced in previous year's.)

Having arrived at the top we had to change our plans and head straight for the North Face. Took a less used entrance off the ridge and down into the North Face and Canadian Couloir.

Then from Blue sky into thick cloud and light snow! A very strange feeling!

At the start the snow was soft and light with great views. Once into the clouds we had to be careful with flat light, but the snow was still soft and light most of the way down the couloir.

Out onto the traverse and the snow quality started to change. We went far right in the hope of better snow lower down, but all had transformed and was challenging to ride at times.

For anyone taking this route out, it is easier to stay on the well skied track and avoid the breakable crust.

Finally onto the river bed, across the meadows and a nice stop for lunch at the Cheval.

Back over to Les Arcs and after a play off piste near the Derby Chair and Transarc it was down though the Arc 2000 valley to Malgovert for one final play before heading for home.

An interesting day with pistes everywhere very quiet and in very good condition I guess due to it being changeover day!

Photos from today are in the new Feb Half Term 2018 Album. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1612340118842448

Tomorrow it will be busy, but with a little fresh snow on the slopes after today's light snowfall, it promises to be another fun day.

Anyone wanting to meet up with us tomorrow. We will be leaving from the top of the Arpette Chair at 10am. Please PM me if you are coming so we know to expect you. It will be a mixed ability day so anyone is welcome. If youngster's are coming then at least one parent need's to come along.

I hope all those that drove out today had a safe journey. Have a good holiday! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sunday 11 Feb. UK Half Term Week's have arrived!

But with the poor light today there were not so many people around and we had NO lift queues. Amazing!

The little snowfall of yesterday had made the pistes really nice to ski. And the off piste was much more fun with about 5 cm's of fresh snow covering the hard crust.

After meeting everyone at the top of the Arpette Ridge (good to meet up with old friends and new faces today) as planned we headed down through the snow park and up the Clocheret chair. Then down to the Cachette chair through the trees. After a play around the Mont Blanc forest and on the steeper slopes of the areas between the pistes we headed over to Pre Saint Esprit for lunch. Then up to Malgovert for a lap and then into the Mont Blanc forest again before finally heading for home.

Everyone skied really well today, not bad for the first day back on skis for many of the youngster's.

Take a look at the photos for today in the Feb Half Term 2018 Album and see what conditions were like. You do not need good light to still have fun! Remember to scroll down towards the end to see the latest photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1612340118842448

Tomorrow it look's like we might get a powder day if the snow keep's falling tonight. Anyone that is interested in joining us needs to PM me for meet up details and give your mobile number in case of last minute changes due to the weather.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monday 12 Feb. It was a Powder Day! Spent most of the time in the morning around Arc 1800 in the forest and down into the Arc 2000 bowl when the sun came out. After lunch we headed over to the Col de la chal and a trip down to Nancoix.

The pistes everywhere had fresh powder on top of a firm base at the start of the morning. By late afternoon the pistes were becoming very slippy in busy places, but still in great condition in quieter places.

The off piste was great. Powder on top of a firm base and enough so that you did not always drop through onto the crust below.

Tomorrow promises to be another powder day!

Photos from today are already posted in the Feb Half Term 2018 Album. Take a look at the great conditions today! Even the youngster's had a chance to get off piste and enjoy the untracked powder! Another awesome day!

Tomorrow heading over to Plagne and maybe the Bellecote. PM me for meet up details.

Hope you are all having as much fun as us with all this fresh snow! Very Happy Toofy Grin snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Unbroken blue skies today with very low temperatures and pistes in very good condition. Horrendous 'queue' for the Pre St Esprit chair mid morning but otherwise queues manageable. A really good day's skiing snowHead .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Horrendous 'queue' for the Pre St Esprit chair

One to avoid... Long and flat and dull, as is the run down to it. Much better to stop at Marmottes/Plan de Bois (sp)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Pre St Esprit chair seems like a magnet to folks. Given it’s half term we thought it would busy with lift ques a plenty like our previous holidays (two kids and wife’s a teacher). But with only one French region on it hols things are pretty good and we have negotiated the resort with very minimal queuing except for the Pre St Esprit, maybe people just like the blue cover.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 13-02-18 20:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Big queues at the vallandry end of Pski this afternoon as people moved up the mountain in order to get back down to where they "lived", but that's only in comparison to how they were last week, in reality it was only a 5 min shuffle
Pleasantly surprised how uncrowded the slopes actually were on the 1600/P-V side. Didn't cross the ridge to 1950/2000 tho'
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Quote:

Horrendous 'queue' for the Pre St Esprit chair

One to avoid... Long and flat and dull, as is the run down to it. Much better to stop at Marmottes/Plan de Bois (sp)

I was in 1950 two weeks ago and really appreciate the new Pre St Esprit lift. I didn’t use it at any point but it has certainly taken the pressure of the Marmottes lift. I got straight on Marmottes every time during the week. I hope the P S E novelty doesn’t wear off.
ski holidays
Tuesday 13 Feb. A Blue Sky Powder day! What great conditions to do the North Face of the Bellecote for the first time!

We set off early and after a few queues made it to the Roche de Mio. Then down into the Bellecote Bowl for a lap making fresh tracks everywhere we went.

Then onto the North Face and more fresh tracks and great powder top to bottom.

Well done to all the youngster's today that made it down the North Face for the first time and a few of the adults as well.

Take a look at the photos and see why the conditions were so good!

Tomorrow we will be heading over to La Plagne for a fun day before the bad weather arrives so anyone is welcome. Meet at the Vanoise Express at 10am.

Tonight the youngster's had a little survival training. Check out the photos. Great job boys!

Hope everyone else is having as much fun in the snow as we are! Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
We had a great trip to Les Arcs 1950 last year as a family, and we're thinking of coming back next year, either new year or Easter, with a group of 5 families (10 adults, 11 kids). It would be great if we could find a chalet for sole occupancy, but I'm not sure if anything like that exists in 1950. I would be very grateful if anyone more familiar with the area could point me in the right direction for some options to look at.
snow report
Thursday 15 Feb. What a difference to yesterday. From blue sky and sun to snow in the valley at 9am and rain in the afternoon.

On our way up in the morning the snow was still falling, but by around 11pm it had become wet and the powder yesterday and first thing in the morning quickly went off.

For us, today was an Avalanche Training day. About 25 of us were at the Avalanche Park and practiced our skills at finding single and multiple buried people with varying degrees of success. It is not as easy as you think. We then had a team race between the youngster's and adults which was declared a draw!

In the warmth of the restaurant we had drinks and covered the theory behind the training.

Then off for a ski through the Arc 2000 bowl in very poor light and sleet down to Bois de l'ours and over onto the Arc 1800 side and across to Peisey for lunch as the higher piste was closed due to avalanche risk.

After a late lunch we headed back to Arc 1600 and home.

The off piste today started as soft fresh snow, but quickly it turned wet and then sticky. By the time we headed for home it was very heavy, wet and sticky so was better to stay on piste.

The forecast for tomorrow is now a little better so we will try to make the most of the last day before more poor weather arrives for the weekend.

I will be organizing another Avalanche Safety session later next month. Get in touch if you are interested in taking part. I think everyone today thought it was well worth the effort despite the poor weather.

Anyone is welcome to come tomorrow, but please send me a PM before 9am as we have not yet decided where we will go. It all depends on the weather. Very Happy
snow conditions
Friday 16 Feb. The last day for some people, but it was better conditions than yesterday. Although still cloudy and flat light at times. The pistes were not as sticky and the off pistes was much more fun! After leaving Arc 1600 once the rain had stopped, we headed over to the Arc 2000 bowl and meet up with the others. Then a play in the off piste on the way down to Villaroger before heading for lunch at La Ferme.

After a nice lunch it was back up to Arc 2000 and across to Malgovert for some fun in the bumps and gullies!

It was the first time for some people to do this route on the right of the exit. Lot's of fun and no real problems. Malgovert is a great place to learn those freeride skills you might need later!

Photos from today are posted in the Feb Half Term 2018 album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Take a look it was a fun day!

Tomorrow we will be meeting at the Vanoise Express at 10am weather permitting and heading to La Plagne. Check with me by PM or text between 8 - 9am in case of any changes.

For anyone driving out right now or tomorrow. The roads will be busy, but right now they are clear of snow. More snow is forecast for tomorrow so keep the chains handy in case you need them.

Hope those leaving have a good trip home and those arriving do not find the roads as busy as predicted.
snow report
Saturday 17 Feb. A very wet day! After checking the weather this morning I called off our ski day. Reports from those that did go up confirmed that it was raining the whole day up to about 2300m. Not fun!

Tomorrow the forecast is for better weather. Anyone interested in meeting up for a ski please PM me for meet up details before 9am. We hope to go across to La Plagne, but it will depend on the weather.

The roads tonight should be OK, but keep your snow chains handy just in case.

There is still loads of snow and the pistes are in good condition. The off piste will need time to transform after the rain, but it should soon be good again!

Hope all those that are just arriving have a great holiday. Very Happy
ski holidays
Sunday 18 Feb. The Winter is back!

Another powder day in poor light, but soft snow on a firm base. Despite the forecast of improving vis and sunny breaks today. We mostly had poor vis and almost no sunny breaks. But that did not stop us having fun and finding some very nice powder.

The rain from yesterday had turned to snow during the night and made the firm snow from the days before much easier to ski. On piste across to La Plagne we had great piste conditions first thing today and even on our return later in the day the runs were still pity good on both sides of the Vanoise Express.

The off piste was much better than expected and we found powder almost everywhere we went, with plenty of first tracks as not many people were out putting lines down today.

It was a bit cat and mouse with the vis, one minute it was good, then it closed back in for a while. But overall we were lucky and managed to have a mix of open meadows, tree skiing, gullies and even a few steeper faces thrown in both on the La Plagne side and in Les Arcs. We had almost no queues on the lifts despite it being a busy high season week.

Take a look at the photos in the Feb Half Term 2018 Album for today if you are interested in seeing where we went. Remember to scroll down towards the end of the Album for the latest photos. Enjoy!

Tomorrow we hope it will be better weather as there is loads of untracked powder waiting to be skied. PM me if you want to join us between 8 - 9am tomorrow morning for meet up details as it is hard to say tonight which routes we will do tomorrow.

I hope all those that have just arrived have a great week. Get in touch by PM or with a post here if you want to join us.

Remember if you need to rent any ski or snowboard gear then Polaire Star at the bottom of the Funicular in Bourg has great equipment for these conditions. They also do really good servicing and can fix almost any problems.

Use this link to go directly to their web page. http://www.polairestar.com/
snow report
Monday 19 Feb. What a day!!

We started out from Arc 1600 thinking it might be an OK day, but it turned into a great day!

With the prediction that the Bellecote Glacier would open, and still some big routes I wanted to do. We headed straight up to the Roche de Mio. Did a nice couloir down the face to reach the chair and then up to the Glacier.

Time for Route One. We headed down the South side from the Glacier to Champagny in powder and then spring snow all the way to the track out. What a great trip. A real mix of conditions. For most of the route it was untracked powder, always really fun to be first down.

The track out was interesting and really does need some more snow. But, it was well worth the effort. We even managed to see some of the local wild life. Really nice!

Route Two. Back up to the Bellecote Glacier again and this time down the North Face. With limited time we opted for the right shoulder of the Petit Face. More fresh tracks top to bottom. Powder on every turn all the way to the forest track.

Out on the track which is getting icy and finally back on the bus to Peisey and a fast ski home.

The pistes in the morning were very nice, but by the afternoon they had turned icy in many busy places. The off piste was great everywhere with powder higher on the mountain and spring snow where the sun had started to work it's magic!

Take a look at the photos for today in the new Last Days of Feb 2018 Album. Mile upon Mile of untracked snow, what more can we ask for!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1621581817918278

Tomorrow the weather forecast is not so good! Anyone wanting to join us, either meet at bottom of Cachette chair at 9.28am or PM me for alternative meet up point before 9am tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed for another powder day!
ski holidays
Tuesday 20 Feb. This time in Les Arcs and yet another day of fresh tracks in the powder! Awesome again. I know you are all getting bored of me saying how great the powder is, but hey! We just keep finding all these places to put down our own tracks with nobody around.

Photos are now posted in the Last Days of Feb 2018 Album. Follow our journey around some of the off piste areas of Les Arcs. Hope you like the photos!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1621581817918278

For those that enjoy the pistes. At the start of the day the pistes are in very good condition. They do a great job preparing them every night and you can reach all stations of the Paradiski area without difficulty. The pistes are busy, but I have known them to be worse. By late in the afternoon they are very polished and icy in the busy areas so do take care as stopping can be difficult! Always ski or snowboard under control. I have seen quite a few crashes in the last few days! The lift queues are also quite large although they do move and you just have to wait your turn.

Anyone wanting to join us tomorrow, please PM me before 9am tomorrow morning for meet up details. We are planning another back country day.

It should be another powder day! Very Happy Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
Avoid Super U in BSM today like the plague. Part of it has collapsed with the building work going on and people have been injured.I can't link to the Facebook 'What's on in the Tarentaise' page as its a closed group, but it doesn't look good. I hope nobody has been seriously hurt
snow report
Two people were slightly injured, according to this report: http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2018/02/21/un-faux-plafond-s-effondre-au-super-u-de-bourg-saint-maurice-deux-blesses-legers
snow report
Have just heard it will open again at 6pm - check first as it was "grapevine" report.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone have any recommendations for an instructor for first week of the Easter holidays? Looking to potentially have a couple of days as a refresher to start the week
latest report
willirvine wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for an instructor for first week of the Easter holidays? Looking to potentially have a couple of days as a refresher to start the week

Where will you be staying?

For example, I wanted to book in with New Generation and found with the lift opening times I wouldn't be able to get to the meeting point for the group lesson I wanted (just to head off the ' go private' recommendations I specifically wanted to join a group)

I'm guessing if you want a private lesson perhaps your location won't be an issue.
snow conditions
Scamper wrote:
willirvine wrote:

Where will you be staying?

For example, I wanted to book in with New Generation and found with the lift opening times I wouldn't be able to get to the meeting point for the group lesson I wanted (just to head off the ' go private' recommendations I specifically wanted to join a group)

I'm guessing if you want a private lesson perhaps your location won't be an issue.

We are up in arc 2000 so I guess that crosses a lot of the locations off the list haha. But we were possibly looking at private lessons.
snow conditions
@Scamper, we've got that sort of issue w/c 10th March. We're staying in Peisey Nancroix and need to get to Vallandry for 9.15. The lift opening times don't allow it, so we may end up driving up to Vallandry. Or seeing where anyone else in the group is staying and trying to get the meeting point changed to Plan Peisey.
latest report
Friday 23 Feb. Photos are now up-to-date. Take a look in the Last Days of Feb 2018 Album. We have been doing loads of powder skiing for the last week or more. Amazing conditions!

I did not ski today, but was told it became windy in the afternoon and some higher lifts closed causing big queues on lower lifts.

The pistes are very busy and next week is the main holiday week. Hope the weather is OK so everyone can spread out across the whole ski area.

The pisteurs are doing a great job of keeping all areas open, but pistes are getting very warn and polished later in the day. Take care out there and ski or snowboard under control. There have been a number of serious collisions.

The roads tonight are clear of snow into the stations, but might be slippy from ice during the night and early morning. A little snow might arrive with the winds over night so have your chains handy if driving out.

Hope all those arriving this weekend have a good holiday and hope to see some of you for a beer or ski during the week.

Anyone that wants to join us tomorrow needs to PM me for meet up details before 9am tomorrow morning.

@genepi, A lot of talking up by the press. All open and working again today. Should not have happened, but not as bad as they made out. Having said that. You should not get hurt whilst going shopping!

@willirvine, If you check out the links at the start of this thread or over on the links section of Les Arcs Winter you can find English speaking ski schools and private Instructors, but hurry they get booked up very quickly. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 23-02-18 19:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@willirvine, We have used ESF in 2000 and despite what people say they have been brillaint. Especially recommend Julien Cormans, taught out kids to ski and board. Other option is Spirit 1950, in 1950, not sure if you know the area but its easy access to 1950. We did use Evolution in 2000 and they were appalling.
latest report
@thefatcontroller, Evolution and Spirit are the same Ski school these days. They have both badges on their jackets in Les Arcs.

I think with all ski schools it depends on the Instructor rather than the school. They all have good and bad Instructors. I have had many family members and friends through ESF including their Race team. These youngster's are now excellent skiers. Just depends on the approach parents take as well.
latest report
Good ski schools ought not to employ bad ski instructors.

I've been here for 7 weeks now - a couple of snapshots but nothing new.... happens wherever you go...

ESF guy in charge of couple of kids gets on at Les Granges, he's breathing alcohol at 9am on a Monday morning, guessing it's from the night before and at the level he's skiing/teaching won't be an issue but it's not a great advert.

Another ESF - older lady, chatting, engaging with her pupils, turning and watching what they are doing.

Across at Vallandry, blue suited instructor, one on one with a young (sub 10 years?) pupil - instructor is doing the ' ski on one leg' thing, did 4 traverses before stopping, never once did he turn around - if he had he would have seen that his charge didn't even attempt the exercise and snow ploughed the whole way.

Another ESF guy with about 6 tots in tow - stops and asks them how they are, one says his legs tired, he checks they all have snacks and then tells them they will ski a little further to get out of the wind and then have a break.
snow conditions
@Scamper, not defending any of the above but if somebody randomly observed you at work for 30 seconds would they never see anything that wasn't 100% perfect??
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing,

My post was of 2 positive and 2 negative examples as I was agreeing with Snowcrazy's post about schools having both good and bad instructors.
And, of course, even the best instructor has off days - no one is perfect.
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
@Scamper, not defending any of the above but if somebody randomly observed you at work for 30 seconds would they never see anything that wasn't 100% perfect??

Me at work all day, every day Sad Laughing
latest report
Quote:

breathing alcohol at 9am on a Monday morning

Me at work all day, every day Sad Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy