Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
After an involuntary non ski day yesterday (apparently no buses running from 1950/2000 to 1600), was really keen to at least get some skiing in today. Seemed to be impossible to get out of 1950, tried to pick up Marmottes at bottom, was turned round due to closures for more blasting. Wasn't sure what to do next so went to bus stop, a large horde already "queuing". A bus went by already full, people seemed to mutter about putting more buses on being a simple idea if they close 2000 bowl. Eventually a bus going uphill arrived, everyone piled on to go up to 2000 and turn round before disembarking at 1600. Got out and finally up on Cachette chair.

Went over to 1800, visibility poor and biting winds higher up, but better to ski than not. At around two it wasnt too bad to get down to Transarc 1 for last run across Traversee to 1600 for another sardines Navette back home.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mrecho, That's the spirit snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wills_h wrote:
apparently raining in 1800 today, which must be nice! Crying or Very sad

Yes, it's pretty horrible at the moment. Hopefully there'll be some more snow tonight then sunshine tomorrow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, Above sea level? But where and at what height do the French measure their sea level from.....
Where we live in the UK the tidal range can be nearly 10 metres Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boredsurfin, Of course that is an interesting question and not as easy as it sounds. You mention the UK. Well in Great Britain, OD for the Ordnance Survey is ODN (Ordnance Datum Newlyn), defined as the MSL at Newlyn in Cornwall between 1915 and 1921. Prior to 1921, OD was taken from the level of the Victoria Dock, Liverpool (ODL). The difference between the different data varies across the country. It is simply marked as a bench mark. In Northern Ireland, OD for the Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland is Belfast Ordnance Datum, the MSL at Clarendon Dock, Belfast between 1951 and 1956. Before that it was the Iriish datum which was a low water mark. (source wikipedia)

As you probably know the earth is not a perfect sphere and the seas do not take a constant distance from the earth's centre, but bulge in places. It matters a lot what shape you assume for the earth (the geoid) when moing far from the sea (in this case Marseilles). Though variations in height can be suprisingly large. (I have seen varainces of 20m between different soucees of elevation data in the Indus valley) the 140m difference between me and @thefatcontroller, will need further investication.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sitting at the campsite in Bourg listening to all the blasting. Still many runs closed according to the yuge app.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @Scamper, if you rely on Yuge you may never get out of Bourg, the sun is shining and things will open up thru the day! Have a good one.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers Charliee, will need your good advice Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Soz, meant to read 'heed'
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scamper, I liked "need" Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What have they done with Yuge, was working well last season but awful when I was out for new year. Especially the tracking!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We'll see how it goes, have a month or two to suss out the app and see how reliable it is. Not too worried about getting on the slopes as we are here for so long. Currently scoffing pizza and drinking beer in the sunshine at 1600.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scamper, Which restaurant are you in?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Le Cairn, just finished now but we're the ones with the two whippets in coats.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like the Cairn. It is friendly and reasnobly priced. However you do not, as a rule get many British people there.

Are you staying in 1600
ski holidays
No, we have a motorhome down at the Bourg campsite. Pizza at le Cairn was good, and yes, friendly staff.
snow conditions
Anyone up for a gentle'ish ski tomorrow from Plan Peisey? No heroic off piste stuff.
ski holidays
Looks like they have tried to reduce the level in Arc 2000 promenade by building a mountain. Its safe to open in work...

https://www.facebook.com/LaMatinaleLesArcs/photos/a.535002273187768.112485.534641616557167/1693969647291019/?type=3&theater
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, as well as building a new snow mountain they're also trying to blow up your building. Never seen PIDA blasting in a resort before Shocked

https://www.facebook.com/lesarcs/videos/10155043903701759/
latest report
@rob@rar, Saw thar video but we have seen them before trying to blow our place up 😂👍. Been sat on the balcony watching them chucking dynamite about. Behind us above the entrance to the car park it gets bad. I just love the fact that these guys ski around with dynamite in their back packs 😂. I’m nervous enough with a bottle of water.
snow conditions
For those that spend a lot of time in Les Arcs where do you think the best value restaurants are in Les Arcs for lunchtime snacks (doesn’t matter if it’s a take away/sit outside thing) or lunchtime fayre
i.e say I want a pizza, a panini or a tasty plat du jour for reasonable money where should I go?
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, there are a couple of snack huts in the Arc 2000 bowl with outdoor seating, cheap if you are looking for a snack lunch. The Bulle Bar above Arc 2000 does big slices of pizza for 3 or 4 euro (plus espresso for 90 cents) - some seating inside, lots more outside (for a bonus they always have a great playlist so great for sitting and chilling an enjoying the views). There is a self-serve snack bar underneath the Chalet de L'Arc restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Good for sandwiches, panini, burgers, etc at a reasonable price considering the location (and the cost of the restaurant upstairs).

Slightly more out of the way is The Bar Next Door in the Chantel area of Arc 1800. There is a little piste which cuts underneath the EdenArc development (turn right at the top of the Dahu gondola lift and follow the piste towards Restaurant Candice and Bar Next Door). It's good for pizza, and often quiet as it is tucked out of the way even though you ski to and from it. The Arpette self-service restaurant (on the Belvedere piste just above the start of the Arpette chairlift) is reasonably priced for the resort, with a big choice of food. Although it has a lot of seating indoors and on their terrace it can get busy at lunchtime, so eat there early or late.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 24-01-18 11:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, On piste I'd go with the Bulle Cafe
snow conditions
@rob@rar, @wills_h, thanks this is great Very Happy
snow report
Meli's Snack bar in 1950 is pretty good value. Bulle is a winner and there was another 'she'd we always used with deck chairs outside down from Bulle, can't remember the name for the life of me though.
snow conditions
Over the otherside I like either the Mont Blanc or slightly further of the slopes is Barking Mad in 1800 which has burgers and pizzas, it's a little pricey but the portion sizes are enormous and the food is fantastic.
snow conditions
@haigie, @wills_h, thank you!
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, The rock mountain cafe in Arc 1600 below the Combettes lift does burger, chips and beer for 13 ish euros. It is too much for me to eat at one sitting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, thanks very much
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:
What have they done with Yuge, was working well last season but awful when I was out for new year. Especially the tracking!

See my earlier post, but amongst the bugs I pointed out were :

- Tracking is very unreliable. It decided I had gone 142 kph at one point. gives totally nonsense distances travelled.
- Tracking randomly just switches itself off. I made a point of double check it was correctly switched on before starting, yet frequently half an hour later I'd have to restart it.
latest report
@eblunt, I noticed that there was an update for it a couple of days ago, so hopefully it might be working a little better now, anyone know?
snow conditions
Used it today and it was fine - never switched off and time was accurate. Trails seem to be the ones I used and speed (or lack of!! 😁 ) correlates with other apps I've used.
I'd say give it another chance.
ski holidays
@Scamper, glad to hear it, as I said it was fine last year. I'm guessing just some teething problems with the updated version for ths season.
snow report
@Scamper, interesting - surely if one wanted speed one would be looking at a Ferrari or similar. Perhaps that is why we are seeing so many out of control disastrous crashes??? Not entirely convinced about this new-fangled 'app' thingy. Seems too tempting to compare with mate's time down run - surely there is more to skiing than 'how quick/fast can I get down this run'?? - sod any beginners or little ones/families that get in my way.
latest report
@kapt - can't say I've noticed inconsiderate skiers here in Les arcs, think they all must be in soelden going by previous experiences, and mayrhofen wasn't much better.
The app is useful and, to me, the stats are only for interest/curiosity and not something I use to challenge myself.
As someone who is often to be found cruising through the trees listening to the birds and enjoying the peacefulness I wholeheartedly agree with your ' more to skiing" view.
ski holidays
Think you may have misinterpreted my "lack of speed" comment - I really did mean that - as an older woman who is a latecomer to skiing, I'm extremely cautious
ski holidays
On one of these GPS speed measuring apps I recorded over 1000 kph while skiing, a figure I use to stiffle any other discussions about maximum speed. At Christmas YUGE logged me over 100kph one day. I had forgotten to turn it off on a trip to Moutiers! It is however very revealing that we actually go quite fast when skiing, much faster than we would ever go on a bicycle.

Do not confuse fast and inconsiderate. Just watch the racers going down Cachette. They are going fast but they are not being inconsiderate.
latest report
@johnE, Yuge measured me at 142kph , and it was during skiing !
ski holidays
@Scamper, Apologies if miss-directed. It was just that we have seen, both last season and (perhaps a little less this year - maybe due to the snow conditions) an increase in accidents. Even Snowcrazy who (quite rightly extolls the virtues of Paradiski) has reported that at times he feels safer off-piste than on. Apps which appear to encourage competitive comparisons of speed/time over specific pistes surely have no place in such an environment. There are a number of opportunities here for speed measurement, slalom practice etc. - without bringing it to 'general areas' used by families, learners etc. I had an interesting discussion today with an experienced instructor here who was hypothesising that the current trend for 'safety gear' might actually be leading to a less self-responsible attitude. (The - 'I'm invulnerable syndrome' - which can easily lead to the 'get out of my way you lesser mortals' syndrome). I don't think for a moment he was advocating going back to wooden skis, wire bindings, bobble caps etc. Merely saying that it is not just equipment that makes for safety - it is how you use it and it should not remove personal responsibility. As I say - apologies if it does not apply - hopefully someone to whom it may apply might just happen to read this and take note. I realise that this is a pet hate of mine which I have to curb. I have personally been a victim of such behaviour on more than one occasion so probably feel a little more 'proactive' than most. - I am very much a believer in live & let live. It is just that when others' behaviour impacts the rest of us . . . Nuff said. Apologies for the rant.
latest report
Curious how Yuge users find it battery usage. Turned on Skitracks in Janaury and its use of GPS nearly wiped my battery by the end of the day
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy