Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm gonna be out at Plan Peisey from mid Jan to Easter, flying from Geneva to UK and back every other weekend for kids (Wed to Mon).

I'll be leaving a car there too so if anyone wants to meet up to ski or needs a transfer on a day I am driving to or from Geneva then PM me.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thanks very much Snowcrazy for starting the thread.
the weather for Arc is now on the front screen of the phone.

So far I fly out on 20th Dec and fly back on the 7th Jan so a decent break. Two sons come out 26th until 7th as well making it a family new year with 3 out of the 5 sons.

other trips will be planned but 2 sons are doing exams so no easter trips for them. Possibly looking at a trip end of January when its nice and cold

The season pass discount is good to have especially as the lifts are open in the summer. One son uses ski a la carte which makes sense with the one euro days and on the days we stay in Arc, he isn't paying for the whole area.

If you are looking at a few trips and have 17's and under, a family ski pass can be good value as you get a good discount. We save money even if the young ones only come out at Christmas.

our new issue this year is the price of transfers from Geneva and back. at Christmas we have 3 out, then 2 out than all 5 back so looking like 850 to 1200 euro depending on who we travel with.

There seems to have been a general hike in prices with Alp Riders being amongst the cheapest we have found so far. We have used Bens bus but the schedule isn't kind some times leading to some very early get ups, 5 am a couple of times, or hanging around at Geneva

for cheap hotels in the Bourg area, we have used Hotel La Petite Auberge which is on the left about 1 1/2 km before Bourg station. there is a simple sign from the main D1090. Its nice and simple and the owners didn't mind us arriving very late. If you are early there is a good restaurant at the hotel but its a separate business.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has anyone seen an updated piste map for 17/18 season yet? All I can find are the lifts for last season. Linky appreciated if there is one out yet.

AR
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some interesting links...

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/oct/14/villaroger-les-arcs-redevelop-green-ski-resort-france-french-alps

http://www.sg-architecte.com/portfolio_page/villaroger/

http://www.sg-architecte.com/portfolio_page/laiguille-rouge/

Loving the look of that last one! - but whether it's concept or reality, I'm not sure. Anyone any ideas?
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arctic Roll, Interesting, rarely now we have learnt to board do we head down to Villaroger, which is stupid as the lift is outside the front door of the apartment. The snow was be brilliant but more often that not is boiler plate and the lifts back are cold.However sounds like some good work being put in so lets see....
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I must admit I struggle to understand the benefits of staying at Villaroger, Champagny or Montalbert compared to say Les Coches or Vallandry where you can be in a village, the heart of the ski area and have tree skiing on your doorstep. The best of all worlds surely?
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Layne, charming villages as opposed to purpose built ski ‘villages’? They are also often cheaper for holidays. We bought in Arc 2000 but did look closely at buying lower but we wanted snow sure and weren’t bothered by the ugliness of summer. One village often over looked which is utterly charming in Montchavin.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, You obviously have never stayed in Montalbert, it has a great village atmosphere and great place to ski out of !!
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Finally some snow appearing on the webcams! Very Happy
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have just returned from a weekend in Les Arcs (decorating and skiing) and here are a few of my obeservations. Actually some are of a more gerneral nature than purely Les Arcs orientated.

Passport control at Geneva was a nightmare. It has been getting steadlily worse recently but last Wednesday it was a nightmare. Two flights arrived more or less together and initially only one desk open. It took perhaps 3/4 hour to get through and some in the queue were getting distinctly agitated shouting at the border police to speed up.

The new road on the south side of the Isere just after Moutier is now open. It may save 10 seconds on the drive to Les Arcs but be at less risk of stonefall. There ahs been quite a lot of resurfacing work on the road from Moutier to Les Arcs and it was IMHO a nicer drive.

Cocktail Scandinave and the other stores by the old road have now all closed due to the risk of stone fall. Cocktail Scandinave now have a tiny show room at their depot, but I suspect now are mainly online.

The new Club Med at Deux Tetes is nearing completition. It looks huge but because it is self contained I suspect that apart from clogging up the lifts and pistes we won't see much effect in Arc 1600. I do notice that it does not feature on the club med web site so i am not sure when it will be opening.

The new Pre st Espirit lift is nearing completion. It goes to just above the Plangettes chair so offers an alternative to the perptually crowded Arcabulle lift. I couldn't work out what has happened to the car park at Pre st Espirit car park since a large new building appeared to be blocking the entrance. Where will people staying in Arc 2000 or 1950 now park? BTW what is the prurpose of that builing it seems to have lots of pipework in it?

The cascades piste is remodelled and now has snow making.

It snowed on Sunday, but melted immediately in 1600 I am glad to say.

I met my new neighbour on Friday. He is completely gutting his apartment which apparently had not been modified or possibly redecorated since it was first built in the 1970's

Coming back to Geneva airport the filling station as you enter Ferney Voltaire was not accepting any credit cards so we drove around looking for one that was open on a Sunday night and found one a couple km away. If you take the D road signposted Bourg en Bresse from the roundabout at the entrance to the airport you come to a second roundabout a couple minutes later. Turn left there and you find a Lidl filling station near a MacDonalds and a few other large stores. Fuel there was 10 cents a litre cheeper than the usual filling station. I reccomnend the diversion.

At Luton the passport control queue was 20 minutes. What is happening to the world does everone want to make travelling as unpleasant as possible.
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @johnE for the Geneva updates - we're flying in and renting on Sat 23rd Dec. so guess I'll have to have my 'calm' mojo on...

Quote:
BTW what is the purpose of that building it seems to have lots of pipework in it?

I was told it is to be a "snow store" - so having made stacks of it when conditions are right, the bashers can push it around to where needed, when needed. Possibly the pipework is water for snowmaking, or fridge stuff to keep it chilled? ( Where's snowcrazy when you need him? )

As an aside: new webcam down there: http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs/chantier-pre-st-esprit Be nice if they kept it running through the season, but it may just be for construction.

As for parking - it looks as if the cheapskates that try to avoid paying for the underground car-parks up the top are going to have to bite the bullet! Actually, it is mooted that they'll put a new carpark in, towards the current base station of Combourciere, after they re-configure that next year - and charge for it (naturellement). With two new lifts PsE will make for a good entry point into the domain for day-trippers, or if the links are closed over the top, for Club Med coach hordes.
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arctic Roll wrote:

As an aside: new webcam down there: http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs/chantier-pre-st-esprit Be nice if they kept it running through the season, but it may just be for construction.

My life is complete a new web cam. Cool
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy