Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller wrote:
Addition of Carelly lift makes a huge difference there. On a board from top of Carelly to bottom is a great blast and avoids the flat at the top ridge and home into 2000 has options too via Lac or otherwise.
Indeed. When I first saw the start point for that lift I thought it was a mistake (not taking it down to Arc 1800), but having used it for a few seasons now I think it's very good planning.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where is this, have the just hung the Pre Saint webcam from a lamp post somewhere?

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs/chantier-pre-st-esprit
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
johnE wrote:
There is no sign of any link from the top of Mont Black to the top of Combourcier.
Would that be possible? Isn't the top of Mt Blanc lift lower than the entrance to Combourcier?

Rob, the question I was asking was about the potential for a cheap drag lift / rope tow from Mont Blanc up the side of the top of Belvedere. Without a link from 1600, the Combouciere 'face' is still only served by the one lift. From 2000 valley. (Or as above, via Clocheret and Muget (black), when safe).

And whilst improving return routes to 1600, the investment in a speedy Combouciere does nothing to improve the spread of the new occupants from Club Med throughout the domain at first lift - they will all be heading for Cachette. Bonne chance there boys and girls... any 1600 'er fancy that queue come ski-school start?

(OK - Mont Blanc does give you the opportunity to use the ugly Belvedere track down to the top of Cachette: but then you've got to make a call at the bottom: weighing up shortest queue, fastest lift, impact of additional ski along what will be a busy track, just to get to the same place. I still think it will create a short-sighted bottleneck at that point)

But, as per johnE answer, it is not something they are putting in place so far.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thefatcontroller, yes! - that's the old workers accommodation used when re-doing the Malgovert pipes last year: on the road above Deux Tetes. We are thinking it now houses the workers for the Club Med build.
Club Med is just behind that building, the new road entrance is shown on the left of camera shot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arctic Roll, ah, I understand. Yes, some kind of link from the Mt Blanc chairlift to get to Comborciere (both the black and the new red pistes) would be good, but I can't imagine where something like that would go. There's not space for a simple rope tow alongside the Belvedere piste (it's just a narrow track, but you could pick up too much speed if you are going to have skiers running against the traffic on a rope tow), and anything else would be a big project involving lots of earthworks.

Perhaps the best option is to make more effort to keep the black Muguet piste from the top of Clocheret open for much more of the time (maybe install some snow cannons down there), and maybe a new red piste taking skiers left from the top of the Clocheret chair (although I think that might be at risk of avalanche terrain above it).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, v. true about Belvedere, It was a pipe-dream really, since I don't think you can get around the Malgovert side of the mountain to Pre St Esprit without serous deforestation and cliff removal...

Clocheret is well under-used (possibly the last 'secret stash' in the domain...), so you could be right, make that a more attractive alternative option for getting over to 2000 from 1600. It is soooo slow though! - and again, does have a pre-requisite of Cachettes for the Club Med users to get out of 1600.

Great to be talking about the winter though! 137 days to opening Saturday...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, The question may have been why did the Mont Blanc lift not go to the ridge in the first place? I vaguely remember that it was a deliberate planning issue not to allow new lifts to go to the ridge. A bit daft IMHO since the top of the Mont Blanc lift dominates the skyline anyway. I think the Belvarde piste is a bit too long and steep for a tow rope, never mind the potential for head on collisions.

Quote:

Perhaps the best option is to make more effort to keep the black Muguet piste from the top of Clocheret open for much more of the time (maybe install some snow cannons down there), and maybe a new red piste taking skiers left from the top of the Clocheret chair (although I think that might be at risk of avalanche terrain above it).

When Muguet is closed is it most often due to avalanche risk. Clocheret is equally at risk from poor snow. I don't think snow cannon would help other than protecting the base of my skis, and @Arctic Roll, please stop mentioning Clocheret. I actually use Muguet to get over to the 2000 valley when it is open. Though slow it is a more attractive route than Ours, the road down from the top of the Arpette, or going all the way down to the Transarc.

Quote:

(OK - Mont Blanc does give you the opportunity to use the ugly Belvedere track down to the top of Cachette: but then you've got to make a call at the bottom: weighing up shortest queue, fastest lift, impact of additional ski along what will be a busy track, just to get to the same place. I still think it will create a short-sighted bottleneck at that point)

Being lazy and not fancying the walk through the village I make that call every morning from the top of the Combettes lift.

The Mont Blanc lift takes a lot of the traffic from the funicular so can get busy in the mornings already. I can imagine it becoming a bit of a problem, but then what traffic does the club med in Arc 2000 generate. Perhaps they should have left the Gollet lift in place.

Combourciere did need upgradaing. It already had one of the longest queues in the resort at the end of the day (I have been known to walk over the road and get the bus) add in the new customers returning to the Club Med and it would be a nightmare. As I see it the main purpose of the upgraded lift is to make the northern part of the resort more busy by driving people over there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I actually use Muguet to get over to the 2000 valley when it is open. Though slow it is a more attractive route than Ours, the road down from the top of the Arpette, or going all the way down to the Transarc.

Certainly 100% agree now Pre St Esprit has been upgraded. Not sure I'd have followed that logic prior to last year tho', when the "Lift-that-shall-not-be-named" (Ltsnbn? wink ) AND PsE (plus queue) would have taken you half the skiing day to get anywhere. Skiing Muget for its own sake, yes, a lovely little face: but as a route to 2000? - not a #1 choice before '17/18.
You'd get more skiing per hour using the bus!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As I have only made one update for the summer so far. Here is a copy of the update from the Les Arcs Summer page. Use the link to see the photos.

From the Les Arcs Summer facebook page! Hope you enjoy reading my update and looking at the photos.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer/

Hi everyone! Sorry I have not posted this summer until now. Been rather busy with recovering from my little mishap at the end of the ski season!

I am now on the mend. Have been for a few bike rides and on the river. Saw the Tour de France and the Cow fighting. Visited a few of the tourist places I never normally go like the Cheese factory and the markets. Even went to the concert by the lake and the fireworks.

Watched the kids as they had fun doing various activities, found that very frustrating as I wanted to join in! But need to be ready for next winter.

The new Comborciere lift is well on the way. The building works around the different stations continues and the Snow canon pipes and piste repairs should all be ready for next season.

The weather has been very warm most of the summer so a great deal of building work has been taking place.

I have not been over to La Plagne yet this season. If I get the chance I might take a ride over there next week.

More to come before the lifts close at the end of the month.

Take a look at all the photos in the new Summer 2018 Album. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsSummer/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2142696925760970
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowcrazy, Thanks Chris, hand't realised they were building another place in 1600 below the new Club Med. Yikes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowcrazy, What are they building at 1950?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CH1975, a 4000sq m, 56 apartments block with mixed use for seasonaires and holiday makers. I think it is going to be run by VIP Ski.

Will also host the Ski Patrol office.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sunday 26 August and time for another update. It really did snow!!

The storm that hit the Alps has passed and Les Arcs only had the tail end. Take a look at the new photos in the August 2018 album. The first snow of the winter arrived very briefly. A light dusting of perhaps 1 or 2 cm's. Not much and by late afternoon it had all melted. However the weather is changing and although very warm again for a few days, there is more wet weather on the way.

I was supposed to be going on an overnight hike with a very energetic group of young and older people. But thought better of it as I still need time to mend!! Hope you all are having a great time up on the mountain tonight!

Went out on the bike instead for another easy ride around Les Arcs stopping of at the new Le Petit Hibou Restaurant near the X-country ski area at the base of the North Face of the Bellecote. Good food and very friendly. Booking details on one of the photos. I also saw some marmots and an eagle. Very nice.

The work continues on the snow canons in various areas and I have also added a few more photos of the new Comborciere Chair construction taking place. Still quite a long way to go.

Take a look at today's photos in the Summer 2018 Album. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsSummer/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2142696925760970
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller,
Having looked at @snowcrazy photos, that bit below the Club Med is the replacement for Bequin hotel - albeit I think it's going to be apartments.

Nice stuff SC - did you get to see any of the Tour de l'Avenir live? - the young riders' Tour, last week, which had a stage from Seez, up to 1800, down through Peisy over another climb (somewhere..?) and then back through Bourg and up to Val d'Isere? Eurosport covered it here.

The balcony BBQ spot would have been a good re-working of your Tour de France day! (we were further down the road, but the gang told us all about it...)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Monday 27 August. I have just posted the final photos of the construction of the new Comborciere Chair. Take a look from the top. It gives some interesting views.

Also it is now confirmed that the Black Comborciere piste will be crossed by a Red piste and also a track which should be skiable by blue standard skiers, but before everyone rushes over there at the start of the season once the snow arrives. It might be worth checking out just how hard these new routes will be.

Another blue sky day today and the lifts seemed quiet. I did not see many people out on there bikes, but I heard the golf course and pool were busy again. Tomorrow they say it will be even warmer!

The lifts close this weekend so I shall try and get one last update completed before the Autumn quiet period begins. Tomorrow I plan to get across to La Plagne for a quick visit. I hope you enjoyed the last photos.

@Arctic Roll, the new building below the Club Med will be a Four Star Hotel Apartment complex with Spar etc called the Refuge I believe. About 500 beds I was told. Only around 2000 extra skiers using the Arc 1600 lifts in high season each morning! Nice!!

No I did not see the bike race, but I heard there was a nasty crash at the roundabout in Bourg. Watching the La Tour was fun, but that is enough for me!
snow conditions
Sunday 2 September. Just made the last post for the summer over on the Les Arcs Summer page. Take a look at the final summer photos with updates of the progress of the new lifts and piste improvements in the Summer 2018 Album.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer

Future updates will now be posted on the new Snowheads 2018 - 2019 Les Arcs Winter thread and over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

The new season starts on 15 December for Les Arcs and 22 December for the Paradiski full area. The main La Plagne area also opens on 15 December, but you must drive there from Les Arcs if you have a full season pass and wish to ski on the other side.

More to follow shortly on the new thread! Very Happy

PLEASE MAKE ALL FUTURE POSTS ON THE NEW THREAD. This thread can be kept as it has some useful links. The links here that I think will help for the coming season I will add to the first post in the links section. Hope that is useful to those planning their holidays.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy