Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski between Munich and St Anton?

Poster: A snowHead
My post on the drive to les Carroz produced some good advice so here's another one. For our January trip we are flying into Munich on Friday night, hiring a car and driving to St Anton where we have an apartment and ski pass booked from Saturday night to the following Saturday. Flying from Munich on Sunday night.
Current plan is to stay at a b&b that we have used on a different trip at Garmisch for the Friday and following Saturday nigbts possibly skiing at Lermoos on the first Saturday before driving on to StAnton, then extending our St Anton pass for the following Saturday before driving to Garmisch on Sat after skiing, then ski Garmisch on Sunday.
Any other suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice plan with good weather. But not with bad weather: the Fernpass often is a disaster on a snowy Saturday.
Driving via highway via Innsbruck, or via Bregenz is not much slower, and a better option when weather is bad.
Don't make the mistake to drive via Warth-Lech! (Closed in winter!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Langerzug, Fernpass is usually open and I've rarely seen it require snow chains. Traffic can be a problem though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tangowaggon, plan sounds good. Both Leermoos and Garmisch are worth a visit, but be aware that Garmisch can get busy on a Sunday when the Münchener hit the slopes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tangowaggon, We do that same trip on a Friday night and have often thought about trying something similar but have decided against it because of what @Langerzug, says above. We bash on straight from the airport car hire rip-off desks (beware those guys are raptors if you allow them to be) and stay in Innsbruck, snack on route arriving 23.00 ish, straight to bed and 7.30am breakfast in ski gear, 1 hour drive to St Anton ditch the car and on lifts before the crowds. Same on return but stay at MUC airport Novotel after skiing the Saturday, arriving usually about 21.00. It works, lie in on the Sunday, Lufthansa flight mid afternoon after good breakfast. Have skied also on the Sunday and caught the late one but its bad news getting to MUC if weather bad. Alternatively maybe ski a day at Innsbruck but we buy a season Arlberg pass so makes sense to ski there, and there's plenty of it! I'd avoid the Fernpass tbph at weekends, Stau's aren't much fun....and there's some big ones around there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@tangowaggon, I would be tempted to follow@Markymark29, advice. I stayed in Lermoos last summer for a couple of nights as it was close to Area47. The fernpass was pretty busy in summer and I've only done it once in winter from Munich to St Anton and to be fair it was fine but weather was ok. I'd be tempted to base myself in Innsbruck on way there as much more to do than Lermoos.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd drive as close as possible on the Friday night, perhaps stay around Landeck, Zams etc and then do as suggested - breakfast in ski gear and straight into St Anton to ski. I'd actually stick to the Tirol autobahn at that time of night rather than the Fernpass. Coming back you ski all day Saturday, drive to Lenggries in the evening via Jenbach, ski all day there on the Sunday and it's an hour to Munich airport.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, not much difference in Google time going via Mittenvald / Seefeld on on the A12 instead of the Fern pass, is Seefeld worth it for the day? we'll be skiing St Anton for 7 days anyway.
Lenggries on the way back sounds good, time for a nice meal before the flight on Sunday eve
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tangowaggon, the Mittenwald route can get quite badly jammed as well. Zirlerberg is steep and can get tricky if it is snowing ( much steeper than Fernpass ).
Seefeld is OK for a day. Certainly worth a visit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steilhang wrote:
@tangowaggon, the Mittenwald route can get quite badly jammed as well. Zirlerberg is steep and can get tricky if it is snowing ( much steeper than Fernpass ).
Seefeld is OK for a day. Certainly worth a visit.

+1 expect a minimum 15-30 minute traffic jam on the Zirleberg most (summer, never been that way in winter) weekends, and often similar between 4-6 on weekday evenings. On a long weekend/holiday time when lot of Germans are heading to/from Austria it can be a nightmare.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, this, and the fact that the road between Mittenwald and Scharnitz is avalanche prone, hence quite often closed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tangowaggon, What about Maurach am Achensee, any good.....easy to get to?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, good shout. Or Achenkirch/Hochalmlifte Christlum. Stay at the wonderful Das Kronthaler.

Also Kaltenbach isn't far off the motorway. Easy access for a day too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steilhang,
Go through Leutasche
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
@Steilhang,
Go through Leutasche
Possible. Have never been that way in winter so I don't know what kind of state the roads will be in.
ski holidays
I've only ever done it in summer, but apparently that is the alternate route if the main road has problems.
snow report
Chrislum is ok but not very big and as there is a chair from the bottom it gets rammed at the bottom if the snow is good.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy